2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Almost half of the MD/DC/VA group I play with has switched to the Epic. It's about half and half on the standard v. SZ

The 3 wood is money. Stupid easy to hit

I have 2 rounds in now. I am very happy with my set, although there will be more tinkering. Maybe an Epic 5 wood? wedges are always in flux for me. I am still looking hard at the PM grinds. I loved my old Ping Eye2 which these are patterned after.

It would be something to demo on the course for sure. The way you hit that Steelhead hybrid I wouldn't take that club out of your hands...

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played on Friday in the Chicagoland area. Interesting round. I played the first few holes and it was 70 degrees, made the turn to the 5th tee box and the wind flipped direction and started coming in off the lake. I got to play the last 14 in 50 deg weather with the wind blowing.

I'm toying around with a 9 wood that I got to take the place of the 4 hybrid. I promised myself I wasn't going to swap clubs as much anymore but I had to give this a try. I suffer from LBF (Low Ball Flight) so anything to get my longer iron replacements up in the air and landing softly would be huge. Still really like the irons. I got another set of heads to try with my trusty modus 120 shafts. I like everything about the steelfibers but the weight is an adjustment. I'll try them with the steel shafts and go from there.

Driver is still going great. I'm toying around with a shorter shaft (44.25 inch) to see if I can make a few more center of the face hits. It was my first go around with it and haven't had a chance to hit a few at the range yet. It felt good when I did connect with it.

Also working on a new swing so right now everything is all over the place. Starting to get antsy to go play as soon as possible.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Almost half of the MD/DC/VA group I play with has switched to the Epic. It's about half and half on the standard v. SZ

I have 2 rounds in now. I am very happy with my set, although there will be more tinkering. Maybe an Epic 5 wood? wedges are always in flux for me. I am still looking hard at the PM grinds. I loved my old Ping Eye2 which these are patterned after.

It would be something to demo on the course for sure. The way you hit that Steelhead hybrid I wouldn't take that club out of your hands...

The best thing would be to do some on course comparison between the 5wd at 18* and the 3H at 19*. the hybrid spins much less, but the 5wd flies higher. Maybe throw the 4H in there to see the distance differences.

The best thing would be to do some on course comparison between the 5wd at 18* and the 3H at 19*. the hybrid spins much less, but the 5wd flies higher. Maybe throw the 4H in there to see the distance differences.

That is what I will be doing with my 815 Alpha 3H this coming weekend, going to have to carry 15 for 2 days, see who gets the spot.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

My fitter, John Degen, must have been on WRX over the holidays. He read my recap, saw where I mentioned struggling with a right-miss with the XR Pro hybrid, and sent me an email offering to build me an Apex Pro to the same specs! (It is more neutral weighting than the fade-bias XR Pro) What an incredible offer and a great dude!

Here we go, testing time!

2uhqxk0.jpg

1088h2u.jpg

Identical builds:

• Diamana White 90 X
  • No tipping
  • 40”

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

My fitter, John Degen, must have been on WRX over the holidays. He read my recap, saw where I mentioned struggling with a right-miss with the XR Pro hybrid, and sent me an email offering to build me an Apex Pro to the same specs! (It is more neutral weighting than the fade-bias XR Pro) What an incredible offer and a great dude!

Here we go, testing time!

2uhqxk0.jpg

1088h2u.jpg

Identical builds:

• Diamana White 90 X
  • No tipping
  • 40”

Looks sweet! The Apex hybrids are filthy.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Whaaaaattttt.... They're just sending you stuff Quant???!!!!

(thinks about this for a moment)

So like, ummmmmm, on a totally unrelated note. Here's a few things i'm really struggling with after my fitting:

1) My XR Pro 3 wood, one thing I am really struggling with is not having an additional 3 wood.

2) My Wedges are great, but i really struggle with glare when i wrap them in aluminum foil and shine a super bright light on them. Do you guys think the Slates would have this problem? I am curious

3) I really like my irons, but i am wondering if a set of MB's with a personalized inscription from Phil saying "dear eBay buyer, i hope you enjoy these irons as much as i did!" would perform better for me?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Also somewhat on that topic, and we joked about this before.....but i was talking to a casual friend of mine recently who's a real golf nut too, and i told him about the whole experience and everything because i hadn't seen him in like a year

Anyway he asks me all excited "so what did you get fit into , like shafts and stuff?"

And it went like:

-Well, the new Epic woods which are awesome....i got Diamana D+ in all the woods, and S300 in the irons

-What lie angles?

-Stock

-Lofts?

-Stock

-And like, regular S300's?

-Yeah

Ohhhhh... (he looks discouraged) ....that's kinda boring

LOL, Matt's basically on staff now, Scott has a 9 wood that is basically handcrafted by their tour department, Rod got a beaker full of Phil's sweat from their pro build room.....And i got S300s haha

I think i am the least interesting person on GolfWrx!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Also somewhat on that topic, and we joked about this before.....but i was talking to a casual friend of mine recently who's a real golf nut too, and i told him about the whole experience and everything because i hadn't seen him in like a year

Anyway he asks me all excited "so what did you get fit into , like shafts and stuff?"

And it went like:

-Well, the new Epic woods which are awesome....i got Diamana D+ in all the woods, and S300 in the irons

-What lie angles?

-Stock

-Lofts?

-Stock

-Yeah

LOL, Matt's basically on staff now, Scott has a 9 wood that is basically handcrafted by their tour department, Rod got a beaker full of Phil's sweat from their pro build room.....And i got S300s haha

Stay thirst...... well, I mean..... Stay quenched my friend.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

And it went like:

-What lie angles?

-Stock

-Lofts?

-Stock

-Yeah

It was a 7 wood. The 9 wood just got here so I haven't done much testing.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

And it went like:

-What lie angles?

-Stock

-Lofts?

-Stock

-Yeah

No, that would be me.

Had this beauty show up the other day. I also am experimenting with a standard Epic Fairway wood now.

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

And it went like:

-What lie angles?

-Stock

-Lofts?

-Stock

-Yeah

Yeah, but they don't make those fancy shafts in lefty. You got hosed on the beaker of sweat thing though. They should send you a 55 gallon drum of it.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

Epic fail on my part. Not the driver but on irons. Tried a set of the apex pro in my modus shafts that I have grown to love over the last few years. Not good. Couldn't square it up so I lost everything right.

My fitter knew what he was doing when he recommended the shafts for me.

Now I have an extra set of irons that will never see the light of day. Must sell before discovered.

Otherwise season is starting and I'm really noticing a lot of changes in my game. Could be a decent year.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

Any of you put the KBS hybrid shafts in whatever hybrid you have? I have not yet, but I am thinking about it.

I put mine in an Apex Utility. It works pretty good but the swingweight came out super light as it had a steel shaft in it prior. I probably should have tried it in a hybrid first.

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

Do you guys remember if the D+ was available as a stock option on the Epics? Thinking of trading in my 850forged for the Epic 3 wood since I didn't get to hit in December.

Site doesn't list it but I thought it was. It was stock on the xr pro

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Do you guys remember if the D+ was available as a stock option on the Epics? Thinking of trading in my 850forged for the Epic 3 wood since I didn't get to hit in December.

It is not.

• *Aldila Rogue Max 75 (STOCK)
  • *Diamana M+ Green 40 (STOCK)
  • *Fujikura Pro Green 62 (STOCK)
  • *Project X HZRDUS T800 55 (STOCK)
  • Aldila RIP Alpha 60
  • Aldila RIP Beta 70
  • Aldila Rogue I/O 60
  • Aldila Tour Blue 55
  • Aldila Tour Green 75
  • Aldila VooDoo NV7 Green
  • Diamana Red M+ 60
  • Diamana S+ 72 Blue
  • Fubuki Zeta Tour 60
  • Fujikura Fuel 60
  • Fujikura Motore F3
  • Matrix 6M3 Black Tie
  • Matrix 7M3 Black Tie
  • Matrix HD Radix 4
  • Matrix HD Radix 7
  • Project X Black 60
  • Project X LZ 60 Red
  • ProLaunch Red 60
  • Speeder Evolution II TS 665
  • UST Recoil ES 450

I don;t think this list is complete either, as the MAX 85 - Fuji Pro 72, and S+72 are not listed here.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

2015 Diamana D+ 70 (white) is no upcharge...

Now the D+ 60 and D+ 80 are..

protos F4

2015 Diamana D+ (white) is no upcharge...

ok, I was wrong, not a surprise.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

2015 Diamana D+ (white) is no upcharge...

ok, I was wrong, not a surprise.

I wouldn't say wrong.. it seems you just missed it on the copy and paste ;)

protos F4

See this is why we should all be invited back asap. Clear up these things. I can clear my schedule

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Any of you put the KBS hybrid shafts in whatever hybrid you have? I have not yet, but I am thinking about it.

I put mine in an Apex Utility. It works pretty good but the swingweight came out super light as it had a steel shaft in it prior. I probably should have tried it in a hybrid first.

I am thinking of putting it in the Steelhead 3H. I proved again this weekend that I spin 5 woods way too much. Especially in the wind, like we had last weekend. Trackman showed this during the fitting, so they put me in the 3H at 19* instead of a 5 wood. But, I am hardheaded and like the look of my GBB 5 wood so I tried it again. The wind just ate it up. Back to the hybrid!

Tried it but the weight is really off to me. The KBS rep recommended a 75s which is actually in the same weight range as my driver/FWs.There is a tight gap for shaft weight between my irons 95g and driver/fw 70g. The apex hybrid I have now has an 85g shaft and I really like the weight of it.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

I would gear towards the 85 gram weight as well. Get it close to the weight of your irons because hybrids are suppose to be iron "replacements".

Greg hits bombs with his 3H stock yet wants to change--- true WRXer!!

protos F4