#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

I don't see myself changing much if any of my set up. I want to go back to a shorter driver, but don't want to screw up what I have now. I have an extra kbs hybrid shaft that I want to try out but need to pair it with something.

I'm about a month away at this point from ranges opening up and courses starting to let play go out full time.

I played 6 rounds in Florida in mid January and couldn't think of a single thing I would want to swap out. Once I develop a comfort level with my clubs, its tough to switch them out. Unless I can't get comfortable at all with it. Then its really easy to switch out.

The quality of the fit was top notch. My fitter knew what was going to work with me and what wasn't. Even when I wanted something to work with me, he knew to just let it run its course and gave me a better option when it did.

Now I just need to start hitting balls and playing rounds.

I couldn't agree more about the quality of the fitting. I have a ton of confidence in what I was fit into. The Apex Utility was the only club that I was worried about. Truth is that the numbers on trackman are perfect but it's struggling to translate to the golf course which is why i'm trying a couple other things. Trying the Driver and fairway at a shorter length is just a result of winter boredom and the need to build clubs.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So post trip how much have you guys tinkered with your set up? I'm sure some of us have stayed exactly the same.

My set has stayed the exact same.

I've been really impressed with my Apex Pro + X100. They are the best irons I've hit, hands down. The shorter irons offer a little bit more forgiveness on that toe miss that often ended 10 yards short and right with my MB. And the long irons launch high and come down soft. I can see where some wouldn't like the more curved leading edge, but they look good to my eye. I picked the MD3 over the straight-edge MD Forged off that preference as well.

My fitter, John Degan, must have been on WRX over the holidays. He read my recap, saw where I mentioned struggling with a right-miss with the XR Pro hybrid, and sent me an email offering to build me an Apex Pro to the same specs! (It is more neutral weighting than the fade-bias XR Pro) What an incredible offer and great dude!

I played apex pro's with X100's for quite a while, and it is an awesome set up. I kinda miss it. I just sold my 2nd set of pro's so I probably won't buy another for a little while, but I always regret selling them. ALWAYS. but, it's how hot rod makes his money off me, so..

So post trip how much have you guys tinkered with your set up? I'm sure some of us have stayed exactly the same.

I've been really impressed with my Apex Pro + X100. They are the best irons I've hit, hands down. The shorter irons offer a little bit more forgiveness on that toe miss that often ended 10 yards short and right with my MB. And the long irons launch high and come down soft. I can see where some wouldn't like the more curved leading edge, but they look good to my eye. I picked the MD3 over the straight-edge MD Forged off that preference as well.

My fitter, John Degan, must have been on WRX over the holidays. He read my recap, saw where I mentioned struggling with a right-miss with the XR Pro hybrid, and sent me an email offering to build me an Apex Pro to the same specs! (It is more neutral weighting than the fade-bias XR Pro) What an incredible offer and great dude!

I played apex pro's with X100's for quite a while, and it is an awesome set up. I kinda miss it. I just sold my 2nd set of pro's so I probably won't buy another for a little while, but I always regret selling them. ALWAYS. but, it's how hot rod makes his money off me, so..

I have a set of 2016 Apex Pros I may put on the market. :derisive:

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

You guys are so cute with your 100% Callaway bags :tongue: :heart: :wub:

Kidding aside, I'm interested to see how long the honeymoon lasts and what stays vs. what gets replaced over the course of the season.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Kidding aside, I'm interested to see how long the honeymoon lasts and what stays vs. what gets replaced over the course of the season.

I am fairly certain I will have the same bag I have now.

Looking over it.. my WRX Ho radar rates your bag at a very high level :tongue: Honestly, Callaway is one of the brands I think you guys who were all properly fit should be pretty dialed in for a while, maybe an exception would be a wedge grind. Everything they have in their lineup is so solid.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

I've stayed the same so far. I've only been out once, even with all this great weather. I struggled a little with the graphite shafts in the irons, both at Torrey and my round at home. Not much consistent contact. That is probably from not playing. Driver and 3 wood are great. Diamana D+ seems to be keeping the spin down a bit. I put the driver at 10* in the draw setting and hit it string straight. I'll miss an occasional drive right, but most are dead center. I can't hit a draw anymore to save my life. I like the MD3 wedges. I have the W sole and they are great from the sand and around the greens.

The only thing I can think of adding is another putter. I was thinking of adding a O-Works R Line or a different smaller mallet to go with my stable of blades

4:55 flight to Phoenix. Hoping it works out. My flight was supposed to go through Denver but was cancelled

you love traveling on the edge of delay.

Sigh.... 5 hour delay

It took me 20hrs to get from Montreal to Phoenix

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Im not buying anything new until it's been in a shootout from an impartial member!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

4:55 flight to Phoenix. Hoping it works out. My flight was supposed to go through Denver but was cancelled

Sigh.... 5 hour delay

I'm a Bruins fan and I've never had a flight delayed. That's gotta be why.

Sorry I had to! I used to live out in Scottsdale and really miss the courses out there. Where are you playing?

I'm certainly a Callaway fan but I care more about lower scores than I do with having a cool bag. If something is better on the course than what I currently have i'll certainly switch but right now I'm really comfortable with 95% of my bag.

I will say that I've been a Pro V1x user for years and I've been very, very comfortable with that ball but Callaway supplied us with quite a few Chrome Softs and a dozen of Chrome Soft X's and I've played all my rounds this year with the Chrome Soft and I'm noticing a difference in performance. I'm still not 100% sure that I will use the Chrome Soft once my tournament schedule kicks in so maybe I won't be 100% Callaway.

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

Thanks! Would you say we are as cute as using emojis designed for pre-teens trying to get dates for the next jr. high dance?

Don't see much getting replaced. Most of my stuff went the more forgiving route, which is needed with the limited season and life outside of golf.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Im not buying anything new until it's been in a shootout from an impartial member!

LOL!! After watching that vid of your tee shot on #1, you and Rick Shiels' chunked 6 iron are about the same on credibility level :)

Thanks! Would you say we are as cute as using emojis designed for pre-teens trying to get dates for the next jr. high dance?

Don't see much getting replaced. Most of my stuff went the more forgiving route, which is needed with the limited season and life outside of golf.

About the same level of cuteness. I'm right there with you, we have a 7 month old and golf has changed quite a bit and I'm sure it's only going to get worse. My Golf Spy came out with an article about TM saying the Epic is outselling it 2-3 to 1 right now, Callaway has a winner with the Epic.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

I have a set of 2016 Apex Pros I may put on the market. :derisive:

NO ;) haha

Sigh.... 5 hour delay

I'm a Bruins fan and I've never had a flight delayed. That's gotta be why.

Sorry I had to! I used to live out in Scottsdale and really miss the courses out there. Where are you playing?

Sadly didn't get a chance to play. Here for a conference. Back to MTL tomorrow hopefully if all goes well.

We do play Troon north every year for a separate event before the Phoenix open, though I don't go every year. This time was just business

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I bought the Epic 5 wood today with Hzrdus 6.0 shaft. I hit this club and the 7 wood and was crushing both of them. Easy to get up, hot off the face, really felt good. On the 7 wood, I got some great numbers -- 98 mph swingspeed, 1.45 smash, 140-plus ballspeed, carried it 220 and rollout to 229. I hit the 5 wood at 18 degrees longer than I hit the M1 3 wood. The lightweight crown makes it easy to feel the weight behind the ball. These are reallly nice. I could've grabbed both, but I went with the versatile 5 wood. On any tee shot requiring placement with power, this will be one to have. And a nice flatter lie angle too. So many good clubs out there, but this is a high-flying bomber.

Standard epic or the sz?

S

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Sorry for late reply. I hit the regular Epic. I don't want low spin on a 5 wood because I really feel I could drop this thing on a green and it won't roll off. I don't remember the launch on it. It was a nice flight, similar to my old 5 wood (a Razr X Black) but longer, like my old 3 wood. I played it once on course so far. Just like it was on the launch monitor. Granted, I always have loved a 4- or 5-wood off the deck, but getting 3 wood distance with accuracy? Could not pass it up. Any par 4 at 350 yards or less, a 5 wood off the tee and a wedge in becomes no problem. I do not have the driver. Still shopping there. I want to try the Epic and also the '17 M1 440, which guys at the shop said is matching the Epic SZ for low spin. Smaller head, obviously, so less spin, but I have always hit that size well. Used to play a 2015 Nike Flex 440, a very underrated driver.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I'm definitely hitting mine until the new one gets here. Customer service told me it would probably be around 2 days before the new one ships. Looking at how the one I have is launching, I think the head I have has more loft than stated. Even set at 8 degrees, it's launching very high. The trajectory flattens out near the apex, and it seems to keep going, but based on what I'm seeing and the Trackman numbers I saw with this head compared to the demo I hit, it really seems that there's more loft on mine. I hope the new one does actually get checked for the real loft, so I get one that's closer to the number stamped on the club.

So, new driver arrived today. The Pure grip wasn't included -- they actually just sent the standard grip uninstalled in the box -- no big deal. Unfortunately, they sent the wrong shaft -- it's the Rogue I/O instead of the Rogue Silver. Hopefully I can just put the shaft from the first one I got into this head, and everything will swingweight out correctly, but I see there's weight differences between the Silver an the I/O, so I'm not sure that'll all work. I do have a 125 MSI Rogue arriving today, as well, and I see that is just about the same weight as the I/O. I'll probably just take this as an opportunity and have myself a little Aldila shaft shootout.

The head still has the 2 and 12 gram weights, so I'm not sure if the head is just a heavier one, they hotmelted it (The back weight is not covered by plastic, so I'm not sure if that is because they cut that out to use that port for hotmelt or if that's just how the plastic wrap is normally), or they didn't do anything to adjust the head weight and the swingweight will be wrong again. Hopefully it's not the last one.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I'm definitely hitting mine until the new one gets here. Customer service told me it would probably be around 2 days before the new one ships. Looking at how the one I have is launching, I think the head I have has more loft than stated. Even set at 8 degrees, it's launching very high. The trajectory flattens out near the apex, and it seems to keep going, but based on what I'm seeing and the Trackman numbers I saw with this head compared to the demo I hit, it really seems that there's more loft on mine. I hope the new one does actually get checked for the real loft, so I get one that's closer to the number stamped on the club.

So, new driver arrived today. The Pure grip wasn't included -- they actually just sent the standard grip uninstalled in the box -- no big deal. Unfortunately, they sent the wrong shaft -- it's the Rogue I/O instead of the Rogue Silver. Hopefully I can just put the shaft from the first one I got into this head, and everything will swingweight out correctly, but I see there's weight differences between the Silver an the I/O, so I'm not sure that'll all work. I do have a 125 MSI Rogue arriving today, as well, and I see that is just about the same weight as the I/O. I'll probably just take this as an opportunity and have myself a little Aldila shaft shootout.

The head still has the 2 and 12 gram weights, so I'm not sure if the head is just a heavier one, they hotmelted it (The back weight is not covered by plastic, so I'm not sure if that is because they cut that out to use that port for hotmelt or if that's just how the plastic wrap is normally), or they didn't do anything to adjust the head weight and the swingweight will be wrong again. Hopefully it's not the last one.

2 and 12 weights for sure? A few of us in the other thread got our SZ's this week and they've been shipping with a 14g weight that is blank. I guess they are substituting it because of a problem with the 12's

What a mess! I'd be on the horn with them trying to get this rectified again. That's unfortunate.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

2 and 12 weights for sure? A few of us in the other thread got our SZ's this week and they've been shipping with a 14g weight that is blank. I guess they are substituting it because of a problem with the 12's

Yessir, 2 and 12.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

What a mess! I'd be on the horn with them trying to get this rectified again. That's unfortunate.

I'm honestly hoping that it's just going to work out with what I have. I have a definite preference for the 125 MSI Rogue Silver as opposed to the 110 MSI version (125 feels smoother to me), and had already ordered one and a Callaway adapter to install on it, with the expectation that I'd probably end up using that one. And if it somehow works out that it swingweights out correctly with that shaft, great. I'm a little skeptical the more I think about it, because with no grip installed, I'm not sure how accurate the SW measurement would be on the one they built, unless they just figured it out based on doing the math with the weight of the lighter grip. It won't surprise me at all if I put it on the scale and it's way off again, and if that happens, I'll be calling back to get it sorted out.

I'm honestly hoping that it's just going to work out with what I have. I have a definite preference for the 125 MSI Rogue Silver as opposed to the 110 MSI version (125 feels smoother to me), and had already ordered one and a Callaway adapter to install on it, with the expectation that I'd probably end up using that one. And if it somehow works out that it swingweights out correctly with that shaft, great. I'm a little skeptical the more I think about it, because with no grip installed, I'm not sure how accurate the SW measurement would be on the one they built, unless they just figured it out based on doing the math with the weight of the lighter grip. It won't surprise me at all if I put it on the scale and it's way off again, and if that happens, I'll be calling back to get it sorted out.

I can promise you that Callaway will be more than happy to take care of any issues or questions you have. I haven't gotten better customer service anywhere, in any facet, than I have from Callaway.

I can promise you that Callaway will be more than happy to take care of any issues or questions you have. I haven't gotten better customer service anywhere, in any facet, than I have from Callaway.

I'll venture to say if this second driver wasn't even checked I could probably find better customer service somewhere. At least we aren't really in golf season yet.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Fortunately, with the Rogue 110 in it (with a Pure grip), the swingweight came in right at D3, so it looks like they took care of that. Performance seemed good, too, so I probably shouldn't mess with it anymore...

Zero chance of that happening, BTW!

I agree. Even before I went on the trip. They are like the LLBean of golf.

Fortunately, with the Rogue 110 in it (with a Pure grip), the swingweight came in right at D3, so it looks like they took care of that. Performance seemed good, too, so I probably shouldn't mess with it anymore...

Zero chance of that happening, BTW!

With the Rogue I/O they sent, it's swingweighting out at maybe D1. With the 125 MSI rogue, it's around D1.5-D2. I played a round with the 125 MSI Rogue in it yesterday in some pretty brutal conditions, and hit it very well for the most part. The loft seems to be closer to stated compared to the first head I got, so I'm just going to call it close enough and roll with this one. I was playing with some good players, and in a couple of previous rounds with the original head, I was about even with them distance-wise, but yesterday, I was significantly ahead (10-15 yards) of those guys when I hit it solidly. It's a small sample size, and who knows if I caught mine solid when they mis-hit them a little bit, but I know the course we were playing pretty well, and it seemed like I was getting it out there about as far as I can expect with my swing.

I ordered a 6g weight from Billy Bob's, and that should bring the swingweight up where I want it without having a huge impact on the forgiveness. I could go through the whole thing with returning it to Callaway, but it would probably be another week, at least, before I got the new one, and since I'm most likely going with a shaft that isn't one of their stock offerings, it would still be anyone's guess whether it would actually come in the way I want it the next time. This one is definitely closer, and one round with it (with zero range time beforehand) showed me enough to know that this one should work out pretty well.

I've been doing a little shaft testing here and there and I keep going back to the AD TP I got fit for during our time at Callaway. I'm really impressed how in depth our fittings were even in the constrained time we had.

As I type I still have another shaft on my way to try. We'll see how it goes!

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003