#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

If you are looking to replace your 4 iron. The 7w might be a better option than the heavenwood. Not much difference, but the heavenwood is longer (pun intended).

lots of factors when replacing a club with a wood. I ended up replacing the 3 iron with my 7 wood. the loft is in the 21/22 deg, but the longer shaft / better launch give it the distance it needs to cover the 4 iron. Demo if you can. Its really going to be an individualized result with regards to the user.

True.. Hard to find a 7 wood in S though to demo. Definitely something to look into because I knew it was coming. I have been struggling with the 4 iron since I bought the Apex blacks..

Golf what a lovely #$#$# game ;)

I use a hybrid to replace the 4 iron and have for a few years. When I went to callaway I tried every 4 iron replacement they had to see what would work.

Set 4 didn't launch high enough, the 4 ut was similar but just a little higher and a bunch of the hybrids. I ended up with the apex and it fit the gap. I wasn't really shocked that going back to a hybrid that is a little more compact was what I ended up with.

I wish I could hit hybrids but I can't. I hit woods better than hybrids but again I use to hit a 4 iron good too ;)

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are looking to replace your 4 iron. The 7w might be a better option than the heavenwood. Not much difference, but the heavenwood is longer (pun intended).

lots of factors when replacing a club with a wood. I ended up replacing the 3 iron with my 7 wood. the loft is in the 21/22 deg, but the longer shaft / better launch give it the distance it needs to cover the 4 iron. Demo if you can. Its really going to be an individualized result with regards to the user.

True.. Hard to find a 7 wood in S though to demo. Definitely something to look into because I knew it was coming. I have been struggling with the 4 iron since I bought the Apex blacks..

Golf what a lovely #$#$# game ;)

Both my Heavenwood and 9-wood are in stiff flex...as are all my other clubs, but the driver. The Heavenwood is adjustable, so perhaps you could try that with a stiff shaft?

Thats why I was leaning towards the heavenward because of that reason...

Interesting about the Reg in driver and stiff in FW. Obviously, y'all were fitted by top notch fitters but it is interesting.

Numbers don't lie though...numbers don't lie!

Yeah, I was surprised to, but if they recommended pink Hello Kitty shafts I would have gone with it. :-)

Shoot I would too but then again I would get the head covers to match :taunt:

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Haha, i bought a red Ogio Shredder bag just to match the Ric Flair headcover i bought from Sunfish....so i know all about that OCD matching thing

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Yup....i have the green bag we got with the Sheamus covers. But the red headcovers needed a matching bag too

I mean what would people think of me?

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

So post trip how much have you guys tinkered with your set up? I'm sure some of us have stayed exactly the same.

So far I've....

Ordered a 2 Ball O Works

Ordered an Apex CF16 4 iron w/ recoil

Ordered a Toulon Memphis

Ordered a Toulon Austin

Set up a shorter shaft for my Epic SZ (Ahina 60 44.25")

Set up a shorter shaft for my Epic SZ fairway (D+ 80 42.25")

Installed the KBS Prototype in an extra Apex Utility

I've mostly stayed with my bag I was fit for. The only ho'ing that might make the bag is the Apex CF 4 iron instead of the Apex Utility I was fit for and the slightly shorter driver.

The Apex Hybrid w/ Ad Di I was fit for is absolute $$$, the Apex Pro irons are great with the lighter heads, the Forged wedges are filthy as well and the Tour Issue RSX is working great but I get bored of putters and switch a lot.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I still have the Epic driver and SZ 3 wood in the bag, but I've been playing my favorite Kai'li Shafts in both instead of the Diamana B and Blueboard that came in them. These clubs live up to the hype for sure.

I put the irons and wedges away until it warms up a bit. I'm taking them out today since its gonna be 70*.

The hybrid is my favorite club in the bag......nuff said.

I'm still waiting on my putter.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

why is your hybrid your favorite club

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

So post trip how much have you guys tinkered with your set up? I'm sure some of us have stayed exactly the same.

No change for me. I've hardly played. Its been a mild winter, but not that mild.

Lots of winter dad duties to address.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

So far I've....

Ordered a 2 Ball O Works

Ordered a Toulon Memphis

Ordered a Toulon Austin

I've mostly stayed with my bag I was fit for. The only ho'ing that might make the bag is the Apex CF 4 iron instead of the Apex Utility I was fit for and the slightly shorter driver.

The Apex Hybrid w/ Ad Di I was fit for is absolute $$$, the Apex Pro irons are great with the lighter heads, the Forged wedges are filthy as well and the Tour Issue RSX is working great but I get bored of putters and switch a lot.

Is that the new hybrid shaft KBS is coming out with? If so, how does it compare to graphite hybrid shafts and regular iron shafts?

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

My set has stayed the exact same.

I've been really impressed with my Apex Pro + X100. They are the best irons I've hit, hands down. The shorter irons offer a little bit more forgiveness on that toe miss that often ended 10 yards short and right with my MB. And the long irons launch high and come down soft. I can see where some wouldn't like the more curved leading edge, but they look good to my eye. I picked the MD3 over the straight-edge MD Forged off that preference as well.

My fitter, John Degan, must have been on WRX over the holidays. He read my recap, saw where I mentioned struggling with a right-miss with the XR Pro hybrid, and sent me an email offering to build me an Apex Pro to the same specs! (It is more neutral weighting than the fade-bias XR Pro) What an incredible offer and great dude!

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I haven't changed anything. I tinker with the 2 lob wedges I got (md3 vs forged) but that's basically it. I also have a custom putter I got right before the trip but I seem to make more with the odyssey so I'm going to go with that for the season.

I hit the xr pro 3 wood vs my x2hot and 915fd and it beat them both. That was the only other club I wasn't 100% on.

The LW Ill have to just see. I like the lighter weight of the md3 and I can chip it higher. We'll see what's better out of bunkers

Overall I love my bag. Driver, irons are super dialed in. I shot 69 playing virtual golf on Saturday.... So I got that going for me

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

My set has stayed the exact same.

I've been really impressed with my Apex Pro + X100. They are the best irons I've hit, hands down. The shorter irons offer a little bit more forgiveness on that toe miss that often ended 10 yards short and right with my MB. And the long irons launch high and come down soft. I can see where some wouldn't like the more curved leading edge, but they look good to my eye. I picked the MD3 over the straight-edge MD Forged off that preference as well.

My fitter, John Degan, must have been on WRX over the holidays. He read my recap, saw where I mentioned struggling with a right-miss with the XR Pro hybrid, and sent me an email offering to build me an Apex Pro to the same specs! (It is more neutral weighting than the fade-bias XR Pro) What an incredible offer and great dude!

That's great!!

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

So far I've....

Ordered a 2 Ball O Works

Ordered a Toulon Memphis

Ordered a Toulon Austin

Is that the new hybrid shaft KBS is coming out with? If so, how does it compare to graphite hybrid shafts and regular iron shafts?

Yes it's the new hybrid shaft. I've hit it well but I'm running into extreme swing weight issues with it currently. I'm working on getting some heavier weights to get it back to normal then I should be good to go. It's a smooth shaft for sure and launches at a nice mid trajectory without too much spin.

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

Yes it's the new hybrid shaft. I've hit it well but I'm running into extreme swing weight issues with it currently. I'm working on getting some heavier weights to get it back to normal then I should be good to go. It's a smooth shaft for sure and launches at a nice mid trajectory without too much spin.

I haven't had a chance to get a head to put my new KBS Hybrid shaft in. Is it coming in really light SW?

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

What's the tip size on the kbs hybrid shaft Paul? 355 or 370?

I gotta find a hybrid to put it in.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I think it's because this is the first hybrid I've ever had that doesn't have a hook lying in wait - It just goes straight. I can work it either way, but straight is where it wants to go.

It plays well from the tee, the fairway, and the rough. It's just an all around performer.

PXG Bat Attack H

Not paul but I'll answer.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

I think it's because this is the first hybrid I've ever had that doesn't have a hook lying in wait - It just goes straight. I can work it either way, but straight is where it wants to go.

It plays well from the tee, the fairway, and the rough. It's just an all around performer.

Which hybrid?

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

For me so far I benched the Driver because I was losing it right... Which is not my normal miss. I have a the glue drying on a stiffer tip section shaft, I think that will help. So I'll follow up when I try that out. The Epic is so much longer than my backup I really hope i can make it work. Its painful to give up the yards, but I need a playable second shot.

The hybrid got pulled and I went back to my Srixon U45, I love this club and was really not getting along with the hybrid.

I love the Odyssey Putter, I don't see any reason at all to change that out.

The wedges are in the bag to stay. I had been hunting for wedges ever since my Vokey SM4 TVDs started to wear out. So I'm happy to have these.

The irons and I have a luke warm relationship with. I do not like the leading edge on them, I prefer a straighter leading edge on irons. But they do have a very good feel to them and there are some shots that I've struggled with before that I seem to be able to hit with them (lower flighted mid and short irons). One other issue with them is the wear, I've had them since December and some of the faces look like I've put a whole season on them already. I will try and remember to take some pics of the wear and post it.

The new Apex MB look amazing and appear to have a much straighter leading edge, while not really good enough to play blades I do really like using them. My misses are usually up and down on the face not as much toe to heel. I am def going to be taking a look at them when they hit the shelves.

One main thing to remember is that I am an absolute HO....... Golf is my hobby, its the one thing i do for me. I love getting new gear and trying it out. Its fun to me.

Thanks Man! As it happens I'm sitting here in an airport being rerouted through Chicago as we speak . Woohoo ohare!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Thanks Man! As it happens I'm sitting here in an airport being rerouted through Chicago as we speak . Woohoo ohare!

hope you get in and out quickly. Weather doesn't look very good starting this afternoon.

they are screaming for mm and cm of rain!!!

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

4:55 flight to Phoenix. Hoping it works out. My flight was supposed to go through Denver but was cancelled

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

4:55 flight to Phoenix. Hoping it works out. My flight was supposed to go through Denver but was cancelled

you love traveling on the edge of delay.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

Which hybrid?

Apex 20* with Diamana Blueboard 80X.

PXG Bat Attack H

I don't see myself changing much if any of my set up. I want to go back to a shorter driver, but don't want to screw up what I have now. I have an extra kbs hybrid shaft that I want to try out but need to pair it with something.

I'm about a month away at this point from ranges opening up and courses starting to let play go out full time.

I played 6 rounds in Florida in mid January and couldn't think of a single thing I would want to swap out. Once I develop a comfort level with my clubs, its tough to switch them out. Unless I can't get comfortable at all with it. Then its really easy to switch out.

The quality of the fit was top notch. My fitter knew what was going to work with me and what wasn't. Even when I wanted something to work with me, he knew to just let it run its course and gave me a better option when it did.

Now I just need to start hitting balls and playing rounds.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind