2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Anyone purchase any golf equipment, accessories since we got back?

I purchased another set of wedges: one set for practice and one set for play (I practice my short game...a lot). I want to make sure I'm feelin' groovy when I play.

I also picked up a few Epic hats. And, when the Chrome Soft X comes out in Truvis I will pick up some of those.

Nothing new for me. Started lessons up again. Just trying to get the weather to switch over so I can start playing. The season in Chicago officially starts April 1st but courses have been open for a few weeks.

I've probably said it 100's of times by now but I don't really see what I would switch out at this point. My bag is more playable then it was before I went out to Callaway.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased another set of wedges: one set for practice and one set for play (I practice my short game...a lot). I want to make sure I'm feelin' groovy when I play.

I also picked up a few Epic hats. And, when the Chrome Soft X comes out in Truvis I will pick up some of those.

Oh lord, I've fallen off the deep end. My bag is still the same as when we left with the exception of occasionally playing my old Razr MB's.

I've ordered....

6 Epic hats

6 doz Chromesofts

Toulon Memphis

Two Ball O Works

Apex CF16 4 iron

Epic Staff bag

Hyperlite golf bag (Christmas gift from the wife)

And a couple other things I'm probably forgetting

I'm guessing you guys were also gifted Callaway VIP access for this contest as well?

No. I just have a spending problem.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

En route!

mfhgEuJyxzNorpPKwXexWzg.jpg

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

En route!

That's cool! Is that stock or Tour only?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

That's cool! Is that stock or Tour only?

It was a limited release a year or two ago, I believe. I didn't see it until perusing through WITB last fall.

76f6af55b84c9bf79ff4165cd2d4fe79.jpg

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I was struggling with the shape of the Apex pro... Just didn't look good to my eye I prefer the look of a straighter leading edge, so I pulled the trigger on a set of Taylormade P770s and I'm playing my Srixons till they show up.

I also picked up a Taylormade M1 440 to try out against the Epic SZ. Should be a fun head to head.

I switched the shaft out on the SZ to a stiffer tipped shaft and have had better results with that. (killed the right miss)

My srixon U45 is also back in the bag, I just couldn't get along with the hybrid.

I have considered picking up another set of the MD forged in slate, I have been really happy with them. I had been on the hunt for wedges for a while and these have really fit what i was looking for.

I was struggling with the shape of the Apex pro... Just didn't look good to my eye I prefer the look of a straighter leading edge, so I pulled the trigger on a set of Taylormade P770s and I'm playing my Srixons till they show up.

I also picked up a Taylormade M1 440 to try out against the Epic SZ. Should be a fun head to head.

I switched the shaft out on the SZ to a stiffer tipped shaft and have had better results with that. (killed the right miss)

My srixon U45 is also back in the bag, I just couldn't get along with the hybrid.

I have considered picking up another set of the MD forged in slate, I have been really happy with them. I had been on the hunt for wedges for a while and these have really fit what i was looking for.

Yes! I won the pool, picked you to be the first to make a major change. Kidding, but this is what golfwrx is all about.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Man. You are a ho!

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

I haven't bought anything new club wise. I did get a red Ogio Shredder bag to match my new Ric Flair crocodile headcovers! Wooooooooooo!

Also, i'm not using the Odyssey i was fit for. I had ordered a custom putter from a guy from Nova Scotia i had bought 2 weeks before finding out about the trip and right now that's in the bag. But that could change, putters tend to change

I haven't felt this good about my game in a while though, i haven't shot higher than like 74 in virtual golf all year (note: virtual golf is easier for you fairweather folks), so i feel like all the other clubs we got i'm totally dialed in with

Sounds good Jeff...and your putter sounds intriguing.

Oh lord, I've fallen off the deep end. My bag is still the same as when we left with the exception of occasionally playing my old Razr MB's.

I've ordered....

6 Epic hats

6 doz Chromesofts

Toulon Memphis

Two Ball O Works

Apex CF16 4 iron

Epic Staff bag

Yikes!!

I've ordered....

6 Epic hats

6 doz Chromesofts

Toulon Memphis

Two Ball O Works

Apex CF16 4 iron

Epic Staff bag

I'm guessing you guys were also gifted Callaway VIP access for this contest as well?

Not that I am aware of.

Nothing new for me. Started lessons up again. Just trying to get the weather to switch over so I can start playing. The season in Chicago officially starts April 1st but courses have been open for a few weeks.

I've probably said it 100's of times by now but I don't really see what I would switch out at this point. My bag is more playable then it was before I went out to Callaway.

Me too. Now it's all about the swing.

En route!

Sweet!

Playing what works for you is all that matters. :-)

Yes! I won the pool, picked you to be the first to make a major change. Kidding, but this is what golfwrx is all about.

There is zero chance anyone would have taken the other side of that bet..... Once a ho always a ho. I love getting new golf stuff. I'm probably never going to get any better so I might as well have cool stuff.

Man. You are a ho!

You wouldn't know anything about that would you......

You wouldn't know anything about that would you......

Plead the fif?

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

Want to hear a funny story though? I was in my local golftown this weekend talking about the Epic SZ and how it was a sweet driver with some of the sales guys. And one of them mentioned "you know, the Callaway rep was here last week and he was talking about some local dude that got to go to the performance center as part of a GolfWRX website trip"....

I was like......"That was ME!"

Jeff, that's too funny. :-)

Somewhat related story

In Myrtle last week. Twin and I go to PGA Superstore on a monsoon day

I come around the corner and he is preaching about the EPIC stuff to 4 rapt golfers (he brought down the EPIC driver and 3 and 5w's)

I asked if he was the new Cally rep and was he getting spiffed

Not gonna lie, he has picked up major yardage and is very straight now. I'd say 15-20 yards. Low flat bullets. He is going to much longer on firm fairway up here this summers

I couldn't hit his driver, wrong shaft. Liked the feel though

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

For the most part it sounds like all you guys are still really happy with your Callaway clubs. Have you guys compared them to anything else that you you've been eyeing up? Just wondering if you guys will be be putting these up against anything else in the real world.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Was on a LM today. My numbers for the driver are as follows:

SR: 2800 rpms

LA: 12.8

CHS: 97 mph

I was averaging about 14 yards more carry and 25 yards total over last year. I have been working hard on my swing.

That's great, Sean! Keep up the good work!

This shows the true value of a fitting by experts. From the numbers posted by Cally to this post, Flightscope shows that the carry is now over 238 yards with a total distance of 246 yards! That's only with a smash factor of 1.47. That is AWESOME improvement!

https://www.flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

The range i go to just bought a new pretty good LM for one of their bays, and every weekend i go there and hit a bunch of stuff. I've hit my Epic SZ against the Anser again (just to make sure they weren't tweaking the trackman at ECPC!), i've hit my Titleist 915 3 wood against the XR pro, and i've hit my Mizuno JPX850's

The woods i'm seeing the same thing i saw in SD. The Callaways are just better for me, the Epic SZ is just significantly longer than the Anser, 10yds for me pretty much. The XR Pro with D+ i hit about 5yds carry further than the 915 and my X2Hot Pro that i own (though the X2hot has the stock Aldila Green). FWIW the 915 has the exact same shaft as the Xr Pro (D+ 80) . So these are fairly apples to apples comparisons

The irons i'm really seing less of a difference. In SD i gained about a club. I'm thinking that was probably because i was jacked and excited. I don't know. I'm still hitting my 8 iron about 150 which i always have. The Apex Pros are slightly weaker lofted but not a huge deal.

Obviously my ability to play outside is limited. But just in testing the results hold up.

I do get to hit balls in a decent dome. And the trajectories and stuff are fine. I'm not worried about outdoors

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

For the most part it sounds like all you guys are still really happy with your Callaway clubs. Have you guys compared them to anything else that you you've been eyeing up? Just wondering if you guys will be be putting these up against anything else in the real world.

I've compared my irons with the new Callaway Steelheads, and even though the lofts are a tad weaker I hit the CF16's longer and straighter. I also preferred them to the Ping G30s. My old driver was the XR16 and I hit the Epic 3-wood longer than the XR16 driver. The Epic fairway woods outperformed the XR16 fairway woods.

The wedges are great. l get a lot of action around the greens. The only wedge that comes close is the TM EF ATV. The Chrome Soft X is a great ball and will supplant the ProV1x as my favorite golf ball.

I haven't played with a putter with lots of stuff on it in three years (face plate, insert, and the like). My old putter was simply a chunk of double-milled steel, which I found elegant and simple. I've never been a fan of inserts and what not. We will see how this works out.

The thing i'm most nervous about is wedges actually. Although "nervous" is the wrong word since i do still own my old wedges.

But i loved my MPR-12, they were really perfect for me, and the first set i played long enough to brown out the face. I love the look of the MD forged but i'm not 100% sold. They are great for full swings because they have a heavy feel. I've said it a few times but i am concerned with how low the 60 degree wedge shoots out on chips. I have trouble elevating the ball

The Odyssey putter i was fit for is awesome. I basically never miss with it on my indoor practice thingy. But it's too light. When i get full clothes on and shoes and outdoors, the 350g putters feel too flimsy for me on short putts. The custom one i have is 400g

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I've compared my irons with the new Callaway Steelheads, and even though the lofts are a tad weaker I hit the CF16's longer and straighter. I also preferred them to the Ping G30s. My old driver was the XR16 and I hit the Epic 3-wood longer than the XR16 driver. The Epic fairway woods outperformed the XR16 fairway woods.

The wedges are great. l get a lot of action around the greens. The only wedge that comes close is the TM EF ATV. The Chrome Soft X is a great ball and will supplant the ProV1x as my favorite golf ball.

I haven't played with a putter with lots of stuff on it in three years (face plate, insert, and the like). My old putter was simply a chunk of double-milled steel, which I found elegant and simple. I've never been a fan of inserts and what not. We will see how this works out.

Thanks for the update! I'm glad everything is working out for you.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

Driver - I still have the Epic driver in the bag with the Diamana B series shaft in it I was fit for and its not going anywhere.

Fairway wood - I go back and forth between my 815 Alpha and Epic SZ depending on my needs. The ESZ is better off the tee and the 815A is better from the turf.

Hybrid - 20* Apex is firmly in the bag. Its become one of my favorite clubs; its just so damned dependable that I also bought a 23*.

Irons - I put my 2016 Apex Pros back in the bag. The fitter at the ECPC told me they were already a perfect fit for me. I like the Apex MB a lot, but when I'm a little off they really show it.

Wedges - I go back and forth between the MD forged (52, 56 60), my previous MD2, and my Vokey SM6. I love the MDF in the 52 and 56 but I have a hard time with the 60. I say this because I play mostly open faced shots with my 60 and the taller, more square toe of the MDF looks strange when I open it up. I do love the low bounce grind on it though.

Putter - I have my MXM #1 back in the bag (with some cameos by my SC). I didn't realize until after Torrey Pines that the Works Versa #1 Wide putter they built for me was a Tank head with a standard grip and no counterweight. I kept thinking something felt weird when putting at Torrey, but I chalked it up to the super fast, undulating greens. I was fit for the new O-Works #1 Wide but they were none available in lefty at the time, so I ended up with the Works Versa. Callaway was supposed to send me the new O-Works model but I haven't seen it yet. Too bad, I was really looking forward to playing it.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I really like how the ball comes off the O-Works putter (#1). I putter very good with it at Torrey and again yesterday, even with the punched/top dressed greens.

The Epic SZ driver is great. I hit 7-10 fairways yesterday with very good length. Mishits still got out there. The 3 wood is equally as good. Very happy with both. I consciously used the Steelhead #3 (19*) hybrid instead of a 5 wood yesterday. I really like the ball flight. I seem to balloon 5 woods with tons of spin. I hit the hybrid lower, less spin and at least comparable distance. I will need some time to get used to the graphite shafts in my irons. I see potential. I hit several great iron shots yesterday. I am with Sean, I love the new Chrome Soft X ball.

First time out this year. First time out since the trip! Shot 84 on a par 70 course. 1 birdie, 1 triple, 4 doubles. It was a roller coaster ride out there.

I really like how the ball comes off the O-Works putter (#1). I putter very good with it at Torrey and again yesterday, even with the punched/top dressed greens.

The Epic SZ driver is great. I hit 7-10 fairways yesterday with very good length. Mishits still got out there. The 3 wood is equally as good. Very happy with both. I consciously used the Steelhead #3 (19*) hybrid instead of a 5 wood yesterday. I really like the ball flight. I seem to balloon 5 woods with tons of spin. I hit the hybrid lower, less spin and at least comparable distance. I will need some time to get used to the graphite shafts in my irons. I see potential. I hit several great iron shots yesterday.

First time out this year. First time out since the trip! Shot 84 on a par 70 course. 1 birdie, 1 triple, 4 doubles. It was a roller coaster ride out there.

Definitely enjoyed seeing the Big Easy swinging all of the Callaway sticks.. He had some phenomenal iron shots and now I have to swing harder to keep up with his drives ;) I guess I cheated a little using the same model too.

The bad swings and touch shots were rust nothing more-- you have been on vacation for almost 3 weeks ;)

Putted beautifully on not perfect greens...my exact words never get rid of that putter. Now just keep trusting you because it gives you that extra roll out you need here and there. Like always even your bad putts get near the hole...

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

anyone dislike the sound of the GBB epic? feels a little mushy to me, anyone else get that? have not tried the sub zero yet .

just got out with my forged md3 58 degree and love it so far

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

anyone dislike the sound of the GBB epic? feels a little mushy to me, anyone else get that? have not tried the sub zero yet .

It feels firm off the face to me. I usually play the XV which is a firm ball, so that may have something to do with it.

I used the 16 Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X when I played at Torrey and I remember it feeling a little softer with those balls, but still a firm feel overall.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Honeymoon over and all that aside. I still absolutely love everything about the Epic. I could switch back to my 850 forged, other wedges etc....

You would have to straight up murder me to get the Epic out of my hands. I love the mutey thump like feel. And i haven't lost a ball in 3-4 months !!!! (granted i am playing in a small virtual golf room so losing a ball is literally impossible.....still.....months!!!)

Deschamps Crisp Antique