2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

I'm playing everything still with a minor tweak here or there. I tried out some Vokeys again but I'm right back to my MD Forged. Im currently testing some recoils to try and save my back a little bit but I'm pretty sure I'm going to return to the Tour V's I was fit for.

The Toulon Austin that Patrick and Sean set up for me has been a real gem. I'm loving it.

What were the shafts you were fit into? Thank you!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm playing everything still with a minor tweak here or there. I tried out some Vokeys again but I'm right back to my MD Forged. Im currently testing some recoils to try and save my back a little bit but I'm pretty sure I'm going to return to the Tour V's I was fit for.

The Toulon Austin that Patrick and Sean set up for me has been a real gem. I'm loving it.

What were the shafts you were fit into? Thank you!

Fit into Tour AD TP 6 & 7 for Driver and Fairway, AD DI 8 for hybrid, Tour V for irons and wedges.

So far for my woods this year I've experimented with ATMOS Black, Ahina, Kai Li, Fubuki K. Irons I tried out some $-Taper Prototypes that are absolutely filthy and are in a set of RAZR MB's that I pull out every once in a while.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

That sound!

[media=]

[/media]

Nice man......hope things are going well!

How many Chrome Soft X's you still got? You using them?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Wait a second! What do you mean your going to return the V iron shafts?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

How many Chrome Soft X's you still got? You using them?

12 dozen! :censored2:

I haven't been able to leave the Srixon XV. It is always windy in Kansas, and the XV is the best ball I've ever tested in the wind.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Nick knew his stuff. The Tour V's perform really well for me and I feel they give me the best chance to score. The KBS Prototypes that I got a couple months ago were just as good but I have them in some RAZR MB's that I use every once in a while. The Recoils I'm currently using is just an experiment.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Hmmmmmm...........

I've been testing a few things. It's mostly as a result of my swing changing so much since the trip. I've been doing lessons for the past few months which I've seen some huge differences in my game.

Driver- still have the epic. I was fit for a gd tp 7 but have tried a few other shafts. I keep ending up going back to the gd. Visually it looks like it has a much more piercing flight.

3wd/5wd which are both cranked up in loft to turn them into basically a 5wd and 7wd set up have bounced around. I was lucky to get a one off frankenwood that I have been using until just this past week. I ended up going with the big Bertha alpha I was fit with while I was out there mostly because they feel a little more consistent in the shafts. I'm sure I'll end up going back to my frankenwood again to try out but for now I'm rolling with the bba.

I also got a 9 wood that was made up for me and just sitting around at the ecpc. My fitter just sent it over to try in place of my 4hyb. I tried it for a few rounds but was having direction consistency issues so I just went back to my 4hyb.

Wedges are the same. I love those things. I'm really working on my short game this summer. I haven't even thought Of putting the vokeys back in. I like the shape of the md3 And the weight of them. I'm going to keep these for a while.

Putter- started with the o works 1, messed around with a 7 works, put a button back in the bag for a few rounds, ruined my grip on my o works and changed it and now went back to my o works since the grip change really makes the insert come alive for me. Had a leather grip master, spilled something on it and trashed it, got a flatso 1.0 and now it feels great. Not sure how that worked out but it did. I'm going with it for a bit. Still like the feel and my putting numbers are starting to come around.

Irons- oh irons. Got fit for apex pro with steelfiber i95, tried a set of the apex pro with a modus 120 since I like the weight and couldn't get those to do what I needed to so I got rid of those. Now I'm trying them with a set of kbs in 120 and really like them. They are in the bag right now. The extra weight of the shaft really helps with my tempo for some reason. I like the apex pro irons. Forgiving and great feel. I hope they don't do much to change them in the future since they have hit one out of the park with these.

I'm only playing 9 during the week a few times at this point. I have lots of stuff going on with kids so dedication of 4-5 hours on a weekend day is a tough commitment. I do the range a few times during the week which keeps me loose and able to practice different parts of my game. Once July hits I should be able to have time for a little more golf on the weekends.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Nick knew his stuff. The Tour V's perform really well for me and I feel they give me the best chance to score. The KBS Prototypes that I got a couple months ago were just as good but I have them in some RAZR MB's that I use every once in a while. The Recoils I'm currently using is just an experiment.

That's good stuff!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I have the Tour V in my XRs. These Recoils are taking a while to get used to. My wrists and shoulders feel great, but dispersion is nowhere close. I've hit some mid irons 30 yards off line. I've also missed 2 hole in ones by less than a foot. Go figure.

Wish they would of gotten you the steelfibers you were fitted for man. They are "stouter" than recoils and probably would fit you better.

Have you reached out to Cally? Out of anyone on here I know you will stay with the clubs for a very long time...well maybe not the putter. :taunt:

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

nah, I'm good. I just need to play more. I think you told me earlier this year that I am not getting any younger so the more flexible Recoils might be best in the long run. I've hit some great shots with them. Just a few have gotten squirrely. I'll watch CPO and if a set of Steeheads with Steelfibers shows up, I'll trade out my XRs for them.

I am usually good for at least 3 seasons with irons, driver, and fairways, 1 season with wedges, weekly with putters. I have my eye on the O-Works fang CH right now. It was practically a tie with the #1 and the Fang during my fitting. A different look, but still has the toe-hang I need.

nah, I'm good. I just need to play more. I think you told me earlier this year that I am not getting any younger so the more flexible Recoils might be best in the long run. I've hit some great shots with them. Just a few have gotten squirrely. I'll watch CPO and if a set of Steeheads with Steelfibers shows up, I'll trade out my XRs for them.

I am usually good for at least 3 seasons with irons, driver, and fairways, 1 season with wedges, weekly with putters. I have my eye on the O-Works fang CH right now. It was practically a tie with the #1 and the Fang during my fitting. A different look, but still has the toe-hang I need.

I remember saying that. However, I went back to steel because of the inconsistency.

However, some of the dudes we both know, rock steelfibers and are pretty accurate..it's a thought.

I told you never get rid of the putter.. just burning putts on punch greens #money.

protos F4

The Epic driver is still firmly in the bag and the Epic SZ 3 wood is on the sidelines and reserved for shorter courses where a fairway metal is needed off the tee; it really shines for me off the tee, but is difficult to control off the turf. The driver is just awesome.

The Apex Hybrid is still in the bag, I love this club.

The Apex MBs are out for now as I have to have my best game to hit them well, and some days I just don't have it. The Srixons have been a really good combination of looks feel and forgiveness; one of the best irons on the market right now IMO.

The MD forged wedges are sidelined for firmer conditions, which we are getting into right now. I'm actually going to take them out today as the course has really firmed up. I've been using SM6s and the new Cleveland RTX3 with good results. I cut my teeth on Vokeys so they are really hard to get away from.

Still have the O-Works 1 Wide in the bag. Its been really good and I've made a ton of putts with it.

Regarding the golf ball - as Matt said the XV is outstanding. I'm playing that now and will go back to the Chrome Soft in the colder months.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I don't get rid of putters. They lurk in the basement waiting to see the sunlight again. It makes them hungry to make putts when call comes. I like the #1. I've been using a blade since I started playing 43 years ago. Love the microhinge insert.

The Steelheads themselves are perfect. Just the right amount of offset. Less than the XRs and my old Pings, but more than the Pros. Head size and shape look great to me. I'm hitting close to 50% of greens in regulation, which has been my norm over the past10 or so years. Steelfibers or KBS Tours would be great in this head. I keep things for a long time, but I love to tinker.

I don't get rid of putters. They lurk in the basement waiting to see the sunlight again. It makes them hungry to make putts when call comes. I like the #1. I've been using a blade since I started playing 43 years ago. Love the microhinge insert.

The Steelheads themselves are perfect. Just the right amount of offset. Less than the XRs and my old Pings, but more than the Pros. Head size and shape look great to me. I'm hitting close to 50% of greens in regulation, which has been my norm over the past10 or so years. Steelfibers or KBS Tours would be great in this head. I keep things for a long time, but I love to tinker.

Then quit hitting bad shots :swoon: Oh I remember the many tales of the putters from the basement (RATED R version).

We need to get out for a round ... might of signed up too late for the June fun day but we will see.

protos F4

The Epic driver is still firmly in the bag and the Epic SZ 3 wood is on the sidelines and reserved for shorter courses where a fairway metal is needed off the tee; it really shines for me off the tee, but is difficult to control off the turf. The driver is just awesome.

The Apex MBs are out for now as I have to have my best game to hit them well, and some days I just don't have it. The Srixons have been a really good combination of looks feel and forgiveness; one of the best irons on the market right now IMO.

The MD forged wedges are sidelined for firmer conditions, which we are getting into right now. I'm actually going to take them out today as the course has really firmed up. I've been using SM6s and the new Cleveland RTX3 with good results. I cut my teeth on Vokeys so they are really hard to get away from.

Still have the O-Works 1 Wide in the bag. Its been really good and I've made a ton of putts with it.

Regarding the golf ball - as Matt said the XV is outstanding. I'm playing that now and will go back to the Chrome Soft in the colder months.

HR it sounds like you're the one who has the least Cally equipment remaining in your bag...out of curiosity, how are you playing this year?

I have made a few changes.....

Driver I had a brief affair with a Taylormade M1 440 which best vs. best was as good as the Epic SZ but the EPIC was just so much better with misses (and I know something about missing.) There are times when I hit the SZ and think I didn't hit it well and it just goes forever. When i first got back from the trip I was hitting a ton of high cuts with the Epic but i have since changed the shaft to a Project X T1100 and that seems to have cured that problem.

Still using the Epic SZ 3 wood, made a shaft change in that also to a Diamana W series and cut it down to 42.5"

I dropped the Apex Hybrid and put my Srixon U45 2 iron back in. As much as I want to like hybrids I just cant seem to make them work.

Irons I went back to the my Srixon 745s. I just couldn't get used to the shape of the Apex Pro. The performance was good but they didn't look right to my eye. I've mentioned a few times I prefer a straighter leading edge on irons.

Wedges, the MD Forged aren't going anywhere. Love them. I had been searching for new wedges for a while and these have fit exactly what I was looking for. I have noticed that they are losing some spin due to groove wear, so I'll be picking up another 58 sometime later this summer.

No change to the RSX V-Line Fang putter either which is shocking given how much I like putter Ho'ing. I have been eyeing a Toulon Memphis though.

As Greg and Matt said the Srixon XV ball is really tough to beat so I have been playing that. I still have some Chrome soft and will prob use them this winter.

HR it sounds like you're the one who has the least Cally equipment remaining in your bag...out of curiosity, how are you playing this year?

I've been playing well. The Srixons have really been good for me. My miss with the irons is usually thin, and these irons have been great in that department.

I had a set of 2016 Apex Pros before the trip that were a really good fit for me (according to the fitter at the ECPC). He didn't want to fit me into the exact same irons so he suggested the Apex MB which addressed a push/block mishit that haunts me from time-to-time. He said the smaller/shorter blade would help me close the face a little faster. He was right; they really do help in that area, but as I said, if I'm not putting a great swing on every shot they are not that forgiving. A small headed blade is tough to look down at when you know you're struggling with the swing that day.

We also decided on the Modus 130 shafts to provide a little higher launch with those heads, but I just can't seem to fall in love with them - they are good shafts and perform well but the Modus 120 are a better fit for me, which I have in the Srixons.

The Callaway irons have more of a rounded sole than many other irons I've played and for some reason I had a hard time adjusting to this. Its probably more mental than anything, but I always felt turf interaction could have been better. The Srixons shine in this department.

As I said earlier, the MD Forged wedges are going back in the bag today. They also have the Modus 130 shafts in them, which weren't a great fit in the irons (good but not great) for me, so I may reshaft them with the Modus 120 which have been great in the wedges for me.

In hindsight I probably should have been fit into the standard Epic 3 wood. I have the XR16 3 wood in the bag now and its really good off the tee and turf. I'm sure the Epic 3 wood is an upgrade to that. I have some shop credit at the course and I may use it for that.

So to answer your question directly, as of today the only slot in the bag that is not Callaway clubs will be the irons.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I have made a few changes.....

Driver I had a brief affair with a Taylormade M1 440 which best vs. best was as good as the Epic SZ but the EPIC was just so much better with misses (and I know something about missing.) There are times when I hit the SZ and think I didn't hit it well and it just goes forever. When i first got back from the trip I was hitting a ton of high cuts with the Epic but i have since changed the shaft to a Project X T1100 and that seems to have cured that problem.

Still using the Epic SZ 3 wood, made a shaft change in that also to a Diamana W series and cut it down to 42.5"

I dropped the Apex Hybrid and put my Srixon U45 2 iron back in. As much as I want to like hybrids I just cant seem to make them work.

Irons I went back to the my Srixon 745s. I just couldn't get used to the shape of the Apex Pro. The performance was good but they didn't look right to my eye. I've mentioned a few times I prefer a straighter leading edge on irons.

Wedges, the MD Forged aren't going anywhere. Love them. I had been searching for new wedges for a while and these have fit exactly what I was looking for. I have noticed that they are losing some spin due to groove wear, so I'll be picking up another 58 sometime later this summer.

No change to the RSX V-Line Fang putter either which is shocking given how much I like putter Ho'ing. I have been eyeing a Toulon Memphis though.

As Greg and Matt said the Srixon XV ball is really tough to beat so I have been playing that. I still have some Chrome soft and will prob use them this winter.

Same question Sir...how are you playing so far this year?

I'm playing pretty well. I haven't been playing as much as I would like, but who really is. I'm more confident off the tee and from 115yds and in than I have been in a long time. I have been working on some swing tweaks that seem to be helping eliminate big mistakes. I also seem to be enjoying golf more than i was this time last year. That is a combination of hitting it better and also appreciating my time on the course and with my playing partners more.

This week should be a good test, headed to Bandon Dunes for 6rds, been looking forward to this all year.

Irons- oh irons. Got fit for apex pro with steelfiber i95, tried a set of the apex pro with a modus 120 since I like the weight and couldn't get those to do what I needed to so I got rid of those. Now I'm trying them with a set of kbs in 120 and really like them. They are in the bag right now. The extra weight of the shaft really helps with my tempo for some reason. I like the apex pro irons. Forgiving and great feel. I hope they don't do much to change them in the future since they have hit one out of the park with these.

I learned the same thing about having the right shaft in the irons. I needed to go a shaft that is lighter and Regular instead of Stiff (or R+). I swapped out the Project X LZ 5.5 with Fujikura Pro 95i shafts in my Apex irons. I could not hit them. I gained nothing in distance and the feel was terrible. Yesterday I put the Project X LZ's back in my Apex. I will just play a club shorter than I did last year until I get my Epic irons with the Project X LZ 95 5.5 soft-stepped. Hopefully that will help while I get my strength back recovering from sepsis.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I learned the same thing about having the right shaft in the irons. I needed to go a shaft that is lighter and Regular instead of Stiff (or R+). I swapped out the Project X LZ 5.5 with Fujikura Pro 95i shafts in my Apex irons. I could not hit them. I gained nothing in distance and the feel was terrible. Yesterday I put the Project X LZ's back in my Apex. I will just play a club shorter than I did last year until I get my Epic irons with the Project X LZ 95 5.5 soft-stepped. Hopefully that will help while I get my strength back recovering from sepsis.

Its how it goes I guess. I quit the game like 8 times the other day on the range when nothing was working. I sat down, drank some water, walked around, texted someone for video of their swing since mine was horrible.

Its not that I didn't like the feel or launch of the steelfiber, the weights of all my clubs were all over the place. I have heavier weight shafts in my woods, 70g, 85 in my hybrid, 95 in my irons, 120 in my wedges. i feel like my tempo is all over the place.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

I'm playing pretty well. I haven't been playing as much as I would like, but who really is. I'm more confident off the tee and from 115yds and in than I have been in a long time. I have been working on some swing tweaks that seem to be helping eliminate big mistakes. I also seem to be enjoying golf more than i was this time last year. That is a combination of hitting it better and also appreciating my time on the course and with my playing partners more.

This week should be a good test, headed to Bandon Dunes for 6rds, been looking forward to this all year.

That t1100 is working cause you had the best fitters in the world helping you lol ;)

That t1100 is working cause you had the best fitters in the world helping you lol ;)

t1100 B? How's that treating you?

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

Its how it goes I guess. I quit the game like 8 times the other day on the range when nothing was working. I sat down, drank some water, walked around, texted someone for video of their swing since mine was horrible.

Its not that I didn't like the feel or launch of the steelfiber, the weights of all my clubs were all over the place. I have heavier weight shafts in my woods, 70g, 85 in my hybrid, 95 in my irons, 120 in my wedges. i feel like my tempo is all over the place.

I did discover that Callaway does use brass tip weights in the irons for custom orders. When I got the Project X shafts after they were pulled, I found tip weights in five of the seven shafts. The two that did not have them, you could tell had them. I checked the swingweights of all of the irons before using the epoxy and I had to add a 4 gram tip weight to one and a 2 gram tip weight to the other to get them to a D3/D4 swingweight. Also I discovered the Project X LZ's were .355 taper, not .370 parallel, so I had to use a shim.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Kudos to everyone for the continued participation in this thread. I'm gaming 3 Callaway clubs I probably would never had considered if not for this thread.

What happened to the TM trip thread?

Titleist TSR3 10* Tensei 1K Black 65

Titleist TSR2 16.5* Tensei 1K Black 75

Titleist TSR2 21* Tensei 1K Black 85

Ping i230 4-PW DG 120

Titleist SM9 50F/54S/58M

PXG Closer or Taylormade Spider Tour

Titleist Pro V1

t1100 B? How's that treating you?

I really like it. Does everything I want it to do.