SuperSpeed Golf training system

What club speed numbers do people usually see compared to their speed with the superspeed sticks?  

I understand it doesn't translate instantaneously to when you swing a golf club.  But after you've been going through the protocols and start to level out.  I've had SS for 2 years and have never stuck with it for more than 5 weeks.  Committed to it this winter to see what I can do and how it can help me compete at the state level better.

I've been getting Green to 139, Blue to 133, Red to 123 this week so excited to see what I can do outside when I go to Phoenix in 3 weeks.  I have a Mevo+ but I didn't have that before this winter so not sure.  Currently can get driver up to 115-116 when swinging well on the Mevo+ inside with 15' from tee to net.   On trackman I had been 105-110 a year ago.  I have access to a trackman again now that I haven't been able to have time to go use the last few weeks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rochestergolfer36 said:

What club speed numbers do people usually see compared to their speed with the superspeed sticks?  

I understand it doesn't translate instantaneously to when you swing a golf club.  But after you've been going through the protocols and start to level out.  I've had SS for 2 years and have never stuck with it for more than 5 weeks.  Committed to it this winter to see what I can do and how it can help me compete at the state level better.

I've been getting Green to 139, Blue to 133, Red to 123 this week so excited to see what I can do outside when I go to Phoenix in 3 weeks.  I have a Mevo+ but I didn't have that before this winter so not sure.  Currently can get driver up to 115-116 when swinging well on the Mevo+ inside with 15' from tee to net.   On trackman I had been 105-110 a year ago.  I have access to a trackman again now that I haven't been able to have time to go use the last few weeks.

Here is a post I made in another thread a while back (it's also reposted somewhere back in this monster thread).  Also keep in mind that this was based on a webinar posted back in (IIRC) May 2019, so I'm not sure if they have updated these numbers or not, so as always, take it with a grain of salt...

On 8/30/2019 at 3:53 PM, SirFuego said:

Here is a quick reference table I put together based on the "expected" swing speeds for each stick based on your current "normal on the course" driver swing speed. I took the percentage differences (+19% for green, +15% for blue, and +10% for red) from one of the SuperSpeed webinars they have posted on their site. I'm sure these numbers are just averages and could actually vary from person to person, and there was some discussion in the other SuperSpeed thread on how to actually interpret these numbers, but it might be a good reference to see if perhaps you might be able to get more out of the SuperSpeed training. **So take this chart with a grain of salt.**

76omktwqlwfq.png

I did them in two degree increments so the table didn't get too long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just started my journey with Superspeed. Here is the video after week one. Up 2 mph from previous week. Fastest swing I ever recorded was 130. We will see how this goes after 6 weeks. Feel free to follow along and see how much driver swing goes up, if at all. I am using GC2 and HMT unfortunately I do not have the radar thing some use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlOYJl-0Lak

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 7:00 PM, rochestergolfer36 said:

Been a while since I posted in here but I have an update to an observation I made some time ago.  I have observed over a dozen people seemingly have as fast or faster swing with an off the shelf 45 inch driver when measured on trackman vs their peak numbers with the red stick.  They seem to correlate for many people.  Of those that it hasn't correlated well, I hypothesize they either have a mental issue when a ball is in front of them, or they have swing flaws that prevent them from going at it as much as they can with the speed stick.  They might miss the ball entirely if they did for instance.  

Edit:  In short, I think the red stick shows pretty closely what you are physically capable of doing with an off the shelf club (roughly +-2 mph from my observations).  Its a matter of mind and or mechanics when hitting an actual ball that will hold you back from ever applying that physical capability.  This is all my opinion of course based of quite a few observations, including of myself.

Here is a video of one such person that met or exceeded his red stick numbers with a driver on Trackman.  Note, he has a very good swing and is seemingly able to go at it just as hard without fear.

Edited by clevited
  • Like 2

Swing hard in case you hit it!

I’m on session 11, and love the program. But while i saw big gains from the first session through the 5th session (7 mph plus increases), I’ve plateaued since then with all three sticks. Any guidelines as to how I might see increases? Is it step functions? I’ve been doing the protocols every other day. 

• Like 2

Everyone, if you have been tracking your data closely, or know your before and after numbers, please consider posting them in the thread linked below.  Lots of stories of improvement, and failure in here and since this is such a popular system, I thought it would be beneficial to capture data in one single, concise thread.  This one has great discussion but it has become much too large to find all the data people have posted.  That and a lot of it was ruined from the change in website by golfwrx.  If you would be so kind and take the time to reply to the data thread, I and probably many others would appreciate it.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Miker20890 said:

on my second week with the first session. for some real i swing all 3 of the sticks within 3-5mph of each other according to the radar i have. any suggestions to fix this?

Keep at it, you will see more separation I would think soon.  As long as they show distinct separation, I think you have nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 11:05 PM, Elee913 said:

I’m on session 11, and love the program. But while i saw big gains from the first session through the 5th session (7 mph plus increases), I’ve plateaued since then with all three sticks. Any guidelines as to how I might see increases? Is it step functions? I’ve been doing the protocols every other day. 

Good morning Elee913, thanks for the feedback. What you are experiencing is completely normal. Like with any type of development or training you will have gain periods and also plateau / normalization periods. This normalization period can last 1 - 3 months. We recommend to continue training as another gain period is on the way. I have attached a link which shows a breakdown of the phases we have observed in all of our data collection

https://www.facebook.com/superspeedgolf/videos/2127088427609206

Please let me know if you have any questions. Happy Training!  

On 1/11/2021 at 8:42 PM, Miker20890 said:

on my second week with the first session. for some real i swing all 3 of the sticks within 3-5mph of each other according to the radar i have. any suggestions to fix this?

Good morning Miker20890, thanks for purchasing our product. Every person adapts to the training a little bit differently, based on our research here a few things for you:

- always warm up properly before starting your training. Here is a link to our warmup protocol: https://superspeedgolf.com/pages/dynamic-warmup

- make sure you give your max effort on each swing. One of the biggest downfalls we see if that players try to "work on their swings" when training with SuperSpeed. Our training is a short spurt of max effort. You should feel like you are maxing out on each swing! 

- make note of when you train, time of day etc. Some people have more energy or pop in the morning, others in the afternoon, find the time that you feel your best!

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

On 1/8/2021 at 9:20 AM, clevited said:

Been a while since I posted in here but I have an update to an observation I made some time ago.  I have observed over a dozen people seemingly have as fast or faster swing with an off the shelf 45 inch driver when measured on trackman vs their peak numbers with the red stick.  They seem to correlate for many people.  Of those that it hasn't correlated well, I hypothesize they either have a mental issue when a ball is in front of them, or they have swing flaws that prevent them from going at it as much as they can with the speed stick.  They might miss the ball entirely if they did for instance.  

Edit:  In short, I think the red stick shows pretty closely what you are physically capable of doing with an off the shelf club (roughly +-2 mph from my observations).  Its a matter of mind and or mechanics when hitting an actual ball that will hold you back from ever applying that physical capability.  This is all my opinion of course based of quite a few observations, including of myself.

Here is a video of one such person that met or exceeded his red stick numbers with a driver on Trackman.  Note, he has a very good swing and is seemingly able to go at it just as hard without fear.

Hi Clevited, thanks for all your contributions to this thread. We have seen similar data to what you have. You mentioned something that I think it spot on, many people have a "mental change" when a ball is in front of them. And that holds them back. Players who max out in SuperSpeed training and take that mindset to their practice get the biggest increases. Now we aren't saying to swing like the Tasmanian devil every single day, but when you are working on speed for lack of a better term, it shouldn't look pretty. As a reference point we are starting to see vidoes of Bryson's training pop up more and more, if you look at him in training he is grunting, sweating, and breathing very heavy. It isn't pretty when he is training, but he is taking that and seeing some huge gains on the golf course. 

Have a great day! 

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2021 at 6:47 AM, LP3_Golf said:

Just started my journey with Superspeed. Here is the video after week one. Up 2 mph from previous week. Fastest swing I ever recorded was 130. We will see how this goes after 6 weeks. Feel free to follow along and see how much driver swing goes up, if at all. I am using GC2 and HMT unfortunately I do not have the radar thing some use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlOYJl-0Lak

Good morning LP3, thanks for sharing. Loved the effort in your training, you have to do it to stay warm in the garage! lol 

Keep training hard! 

On 1/3/2021 at 8:00 PM, rochestergolfer36 said:

Good morning Rochestergolfer, I am happy to hear that you have committed to the training this winter. We look forward to seeing your results!

32 minutes ago, SuperSpeed Golf said:

Players who max out in SuperSpeed training and take that mindset to their practice get the biggest increases.

I'm about 2 weeks into the level 2 protocol and fully agree with your point of view here.  When I was about halfway through the level 1 protocol I realized that at the range I was holding back and not bringing my SuperSpeed gains to the range and seeing improvements. 

With a large bucket I'll typically hit 15-20 balls towards the end of my session with a max out mindset.  Once I figured this out I saw better speed results on the range - not always pretty with the ball flight but progress nonetheless when everything comes together with a good swing and contact.  If I don't have time to get to the range I'll sometimes grab the driver in the backyard after completing my SuperSpeed workout and hit a dozen or so balls into my net to help grain in how the speed feels with a club in my hand.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 9:55 AM, toddmanley said:

I'm about 2 weeks into the level 2 protocol and fully agree with your point of view here.  When I was about halfway through the level 1 protocol I realized that at the range I was holding back and not bringing my SuperSpeed gains to the range and seeing improvements. 

With a large bucket I'll typically hit 15-20 balls towards the end of my session with a max out mindset.  Once I figured this out I saw better speed results on the range - not always pretty with the ball flight but progress nonetheless when everything comes together with a good swing and contact.  If I don't have time to get to the range I'll sometimes grab the driver in the backyard after completing my SuperSpeed workout and hit a dozen or so balls into my net to help grain in how the speed feels with a club in my hand.

Reiterating this point about hitting balls with a max out mindset as a necessity. Also, this has to be done with something that measures swing and/or ball speed so you can quantify progress.

In fact, my person opinion is that once you've used the SS sticks to feel what it means to swing all out, then you should focus on speed generation with the driver hitting balls. I'm not sure where to draw the cutoff, maybe after you've completed Level 1 of SS? But I think at some point your practice time can be better allocated. 

For instance, practice pushing off hard from your left foot on the downswing (in a direction that would cause you to jump diagonally backwards); practice a massive shoulder turn; practice massive lag (e.g., see how long you can keep the butt end of the club pointed behind the ball on the downswing, a la Clay Ballard); practice rotating hard on the downswing with your core; practice pulling the handle down hard on the downswing (something Bryson's been preaching lately on social media); practice putting all those together at the same time. I found focusing on these techniques worked better than hoping I'd discover them by swinging the SS sticks.

My personal experience was that the SS sticks helped me initially move my baseline higher. Then the next big breakthrough came from mobility/power/strength improvement (Fit for Golf) combined with mashing driver repeatedly. Note: I'll still use the blue stick as part of my warmup, usually 3-5 swings all out after completing some type of body weight warm up or band warm up.

• Like 2

I just got these to try and regain some speed lost through a couple of injuries.  I plan on reading the entire thread, but have a few questions:

Does it really matter which radar I get, as long as I am keeping consistent records?  Has anyone tried using a Zepp Golf analyzer?

When I am keeping records, is it necessary to record each swing, or just the fastest of each?

Thanks in advance?

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 10:55 AM, toddmanley said:

This is awesome! You are on the right track, keep it up! 

22 hours ago, Timefor9 said:

Reiterating this point about hitting balls with a max out mindset as a necessity. Also, this has to be done with something that measures swing and/or ball speed so you can quantify progress.

In fact, my person opinion is that once you've used the SS sticks to feel what it means to swing all out, then you should focus on speed generation with the driver hitting balls. I'm not sure where to draw the cutoff, maybe after you've completed Level 1 of SS? But I think at some point your practice time can be better allocated. 

For instance, practice pushing off hard from your left foot on the downswing (in a direction that would cause you to jump diagonally backwards); practice a massive shoulder turn; practice massive lag (e.g., see how long you can keep the butt end of the club pointed behind the ball on the downswing, a la Clay Ballard); practice rotating hard on the downswing with your core; practice pulling the handle down hard on the downswing (something Bryson's been preaching lately on social media); practice putting all those together at the same time. I found focusing on these techniques worked better than hoping I'd discover them by swinging the SS sticks.

My personal experience was that the SS sticks helped me initially move my baseline higher. Then the next big breakthrough came from mobility/power/strength improvement (Fit for Golf) combined with mashing driver repeatedly. Note: I'll still use the blue stick as part of my warmup, usually 3-5 swings all out after completing some type of body weight warm up or band warm up.

Great insights Timefor9!

We believe that speed generation should always be part of the plan but it will be different for everyone. You did touch on a huge piece which is the physical / fitness / technical portion of development.  Having a plan is a must and having a golf professional oversee the technical and a fitness professional oversee the physical is huge. That might sound like a lot for some people but with tools like Fit for Golf and the ability to take lessons digitally its easier then ever to get the support required in place. We encourage people to search for a TPI certified professional to help.

You mentioned your warm up, I have attached our suggested pre round warm up (after completing a physical warm up) to this post. Let me know if you have any questions.

SuperSpeed Golf Warm Up.jpeg

11 hours ago, Body_Visions said:

I just got these to try and regain some speed lost through a couple of injuries.  I plan on reading the entire thread, but have a few questions:

Does it really matter which radar I get, as long as I am keeping consistent records?  Has anyone tried using a Zepp Golf analyzer?

When I am keeping records, is it necessary to record each swing, or just the fastest of each?

Thanks in advance?

Good morning Body_Visions, thanks for purchasing SuperSpeed! 

- For radars, some radars are certainly better than others. We recommend something on the ground as opposed to something on the hand, just more consistent in measuring the speed of the actual club. We currently sell the PRGR launch monitor on our site. When tested against the big dollar units, the clubhead speed and ball speed numbers are very close. The radar retails for $199 USD.

https://superspeedgolf.com/collections/all-products/products/prgr-black-pocket-launch-monitor

At the end of the day, we definitely thing you should have something to be able to quantify.

- When record keeping, some people write down every swing while others feels that it is too much and only record the fastest. I've attached tracking sheet examples for both. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.49.29 AM.png

speed training log.xlsx

11 hours ago, SuperSpeed Golf said:

Good morning Body_Visions, thanks for purchasing SuperSpeed! 

- For radars, some radars are certainly better than others. We recommend something on the ground as opposed to something on the hand, just more consistent in measuring the speed of the actual club. We currently sell the PRGR launch monitor on our site. When tested against the big dollar units, the clubhead speed and ball speed numbers are very close. The radar retails for $199 USD.

https://superspeedgolf.com/collections/all-products/products/prgr-black-pocket-launch-monitor

At the end of the day, we definitely thing you should have something to be able to quantify.

- When record keeping, some people write down every swing while others feels that it is too much and only record the fastest. I've attached tracking sheet examples for both. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.49.29 AM.png

speed training log.xlsx 12.51 kB · 1 download

I do have one more thing.  I assume one wouldn’t want to do a protocol on playing days?  Assuming that is true, I would likely only take one to the range with me, and which one would that be?

Thanks!!

• Like 1

I just ordered some generic "super speed " clubs for $99 .  Same 45 inch shafts, light,med,heavy weights.  I'm going on 47 years old , driver swing speed is 97 to 100 . AOA is +2 to +4 ... smash is steadily in the 1.51 to 1.52 range . Spin is good . So only thing left for me to get more distance is more speed.  5 mph more and I'd be ecstatic!

Just started speed training with a set of homemade sticks eight days ago and thought I’d share my results. I do not have a radar but what I have been doing is hitting 12 drives on my SkyTrak after training and keeping my 5 fastest ball speeds. I have had my SkyTrak just a bit over two years and my fastest all speed had been 152 mph that was in March 2019. At 45 years old, I fear that I’m going the wrong direction so I’m trying to dedicate myself this year to see if I can turn back the clock a bit. I am truly shocked how much I’ve increased in 4 sessions. I will say disregard the dispersion as I am taking the fastest 5 of 12. I did a pretest before my first session to keep up with before and after results. Pictures aren’t loading so I’ll just list top speed and five swing averages...

1/9 pretest- Best 144 mph Average- 140 mph

after training- Best 145 Average 143

1/12- Best 148 Average 146

1/15- Best 150 Average 148

1/17- Best 156 Average 153

I had been training every third day because of general soreness from exercising, too and nursing a bum left shoulder. Today, I just felt really good and my goal is to try to get to every other day with the sticks. I just find it crazy that my carry distance has gone from 222 average to 249 in a day over a week. 

On 1/15/2021 at 10:10 PM, Body_Visions said:

I do have one more thing.  I assume one wouldn’t want to do a protocol on playing days?  Assuming that is true, I would likely only take one to the range with me, and which one would that be?

Thanks!!

Hey Body_Visions, here is our pre round protocol that we recommend. The dynamic warm up is always important. After the red club swings in both directions which are meant to get he body nice and loose you have 13 swings to get the body firing. We always recommend using all three clubs to maximize the overspeed part of training and. warmup. Toss them back in your vehicle or locker and you're off to the first tee! 

Please let me know if you have any questions! 

521497314_SuperSpeedGolfWarmUp.jpeg.15123868dc7a971a0b7b3d99a318eca6.jpeg

On 1/3/2017 at 4:36 PM, CenCalGolfer said:

I've been seeing a lot of Instagram posts of this training system. Thoughts? What's the difference between this and an Orange Whip or a SKLZ Gold Flex besides the 3 different weighted clubs?!

Been practicing with the system since last Oct and loving it. 
I notice a significant distance gain with not only the driver but also across the board. 

Warning: u also need to work on your strength and flexibility for the system to be effective. Otherwise, u could easily get injured from swinging all out for 10-15’. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mattou said:

What is the best SSR type MLM out there?  I was just about to buy the Rapsodo, I figured I'd buy the SSR before the speed system to measure before/after but found out the Raspodo won't measure CHS without a ball.

Hi Mattou, thanks for posting! we are currently selling the PRGR portable launch monitor. It has been tested against the big name Launch monitors with impressive accuracy, especially for the price. It measures club head speed with and without a ball. Here is the link if you would to have a look:

12 hours ago, swagee said:

Been practicing with the system since last Oct and loving it. 
I notice a significant distance gain with not only the driver but also across the board. 

Warning: u also need to work on your strength and flexibility for the system to be effective. Otherwise, u could easily get injured from swinging all out for 10-15’. 

Thanks for the support Swgee! We are thrilled to see that you have been seeing a speed increase across the board. You mentioned about working on your body, and yes, it is so important. At a minimum everyone should be going through a warm up before training. Those who also work on strength and flexibility are increasing their chances for the best results.

Happy Training!

On 1/8/2021 at 9:20 AM, clevited said:

The red stick is heavier so you should be faster with your regular driver 

Can’t get all my session photos to load but here are my last two from Sunday and today. I usually hit between 10-15 and take best 5 for average. I felt really good on Sunday and just couldn’t quite increase it today. Today I decided to just keep going and hit 50 and took out my worst five. Top was 154 ball speed and I was able to get 150+ on 16 of 45. Not too bad for feeling a bit sluggish. 

FA525128-255A-4FF0-85F7-DA066CCE3FAC.jpeg

11A20201-1CFA-448E-AFCD-B99AB7B528E7.jpeg

Edited by jmac13