SuperSpeed Golf training system

I will simply add this as a relatively new overspeed training devotee.  56 years old, baseline speed was only 82 mph, but pretty efficient at a 1.48 typical smash.  I bought the $99 Hurricane Golf 3 stick set, same weights as SSG.  Did the 1st protocol for 6 weeks; after week 2, I was up to 87 mph actually hitting driver shots (I don't count air swings on a swing speed monitor; that's stupid, the idea is to apply speed gains to actual shots).  At that point, I pretty much plateaued, and began to get frustrated.  Then I found the Par4Success article advocating the single medium weight stick (290 grams) for a 33 swing protocol 2x weekly, vs. the SSG protocols at 60-100 swings w/ 3 sticks 3x a week, as the levels progress.  

I decided to go this route, for a couple reasons.  One, I'm very active, doing strength/cardio/mobility workouts 4x/week, practice golf 3x/we, and play 27 holes/wk.  Two, I'm 56, so I'm not a young limberback.  Three, my experience w/ physical exercise has been, for me at least, the least exertion that is enough to get the desired result is just the right amount, and anymore gives a declining ROI.

Results?  Two weeks into the single stick, 2x/week program, I'm at 93 mph consistently.  Now, there are a lot of factors there, but for me, the early returns on the single stick route seems to be promising.  Perhaps going back and forth from single to multiple sticks might be optimal, or maybe the Par4Success findings are spot-on for most of us more mortals.  At any rate, I'm sticking w/ it as prescribed for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by jc4birdie
  • Like 1

Having a few real outdoor rounds under my belt, I can safely say that I am hitting my drives much longer, even with the soft conditions we still have here in MA.  I can see longer drives both looking at my Garmin statistics on the same course, where I am 10-15 yards longer alone (again with soft conditions).  And I'm also now meaningfully outdriving my playing partners, who have all commented on how I am hitting it so much further.  I've only been doing the Speedsticks, and if anything my overall fitness has gone down since COVID.  

I'm in my second jump right now having started week 16.  It's fascinating that the Jumps I am seeing mirror what Superspeed itself says will typically happen.  I'm going to see what happens now if I really start to swing hard during range sessions.

• Like 2

Used the 3 stick couple of times a week last season and pretty much stayed at 93 mph hitting balls up to November and end of year. Started again in early February an have leveled out again at 93 mph hitting balls. Today just for the heck of it went to range and did day one of Clay Ballards 20 minute distance fix. Didn’t expect much. It’s four parts each hitting 5 shots eachs (lifting heel, turning hips more, turning shoulders, getting hands further away and behind you) to see which one helps with your swing speed the most. Started with regular swing for base line and sure enough 93 mph. Part 1 increase to 95-96 part 2 and 3 about  the same. Part 4 first swing speed jumped to 101 however and I figured fluke. Second swing 99 third 100 fourth and fifth 101 and fairly straight. What’s up with that? I haven’t hit 100 Mph since I got the monitor. not even close.

On 3/16/2021 at 12:48 PM, Trap Junior said:

I made a small gain last week but took 8 days off.  Now my speeds are slow as hell again.

I hit maybe 60 balls beforehand like normal today.

When should you do these protocols?  After a short warm up prior to hitting balls or after a regularl practice session?

Hi Trap, when to train can vary from player to player. We encourage users to complete the training before any golf or other training activities. We want you to be as fresh as possible. Users who train after hitting balls or after a gym working are asking their bodies to try and swing as fast as possible on an "empty tank". Recently Bryson was asked about when he trains, here was his answer

“I do not workout before that’s one of the most important things. If you try to workout before a speed training session, you’ll be no where near the speeds you’ll possibly be.”

On 3/16/2021 at 5:27 PM, clevited said:

@SuperSpeed Golf

Just wondering, do you have any statistics or data you can share that you might have of pro's using these sticks?

It would be nice to see what some pro's or even long drive pro's have recorded during training sessions on the SSR, and or PRGR and also what they tend to swing on Trackman.

I think people can draw some conclusions if that data were available, meaning, they could see maybe if they have the physical ability of a pro to get X speed with Y speedstick but also see that they can't swing the same speed with an actual club in hand vs the pro.  It could inspire people to seek out instruction on how to make their swing more efficient and reliable so that they might realize more of that raw potential on the course.

I tried to start a data thread where people could share those numbers but so far no dice with that taking off.  Hoping maybe you can provide a good chunk of that instead.

Hi Clevited, we do get inquiries about how fast tour players swing certain clubs. We are cautious with setting expectations around this. Drawing conclusions would be based around so many unknowns. Physical ability, training schedules, diet, recovery periods, previous injuries, height, weight, genetics, etc. Every player regardless of skill or ability should baseline their speeds and work to improve their speeds. You are spot on that working with an instructor can help, and a good instructor will develop a swing based around what the student in front of him can do instead of trying to make him look or swing like a tour player

On 3/23/2021 at 5:22 PM, hahanice said:

This might have been answered already, but in theory we are supposed to do swing speed training 3x a week right? Does anyone know if we can do more? for reference I probably play 4-5x a week, so i could in theory train every 5x a week. I am also lifting weights again after a 13 month hiatus due to covid. 

For reference my i am a ~0 cap, swing speed right at 100 with carry right at 240. I did my first session (after a brutal workout) and swing speed before was around 98, and after was around 100. These were real swings on the range, needing to hit a target. so I wasnt just smashing. 

Hi Hahanice, thanks for the detailed breakdown. This type of information sometimes is tricky to explain over email, please do not take any of this out of context. We get this question a lot. We have always said no more then 3 days a week due to the rest and recover that your nervous system requires.

Training to increase club head with SuperSpeed (an underload / overload system) is training your nervous system and not your muscles. Reducing the weight is getting your nervous system to understand that it can swing the golf club faster. Unfortunately we aren't able to feel our nervous systems ability to recovery like we do with sore muscles.  We have commonly seen that gym work especially daily training that also combines a lot of endurance / cardio work will make a player slower or limit possible gains. Your ability to maximize speed is controlled by your nervous system (like a governor on a car) and when you rest and recover all of the work your body is doing is focused on the physical work you do daily and not the nervous system work. 

On 4/1/2021 at 1:40 AM, true8 said:

I'm assuming this has been answered but theres too many pages to read through.

Did you guys maintain your gains after the first 6 week protocol? Or do you have to continuously do the training? I'm currently 3 weeks in and have seen a 5mph improvement in CHS measured by Trackman. Its awesome to see the progression and I'm hoping the gains will stay after the program is done.

Hi True, most players maintain speed after the first 6 weeks but we encourage everyone to continue along the protocols. Like any type of training if you do it for a shirt period and then never do it again you can lose your gains over time. Congrats on your increases, keep it up!

On 4/9/2021 at 12:39 PM, Trap Junior said:

Been doing this religiously for about 4 months.  Started last June and did it religiously for a month or two then had a break for a month or two.

I find it frustrating.  I warm up and test my max effort driver speed.  I then do my protocol 3 mixed in with advaced protocols and hit balls at max speed after.  I only get a 3mph increase after.

My normal playing speed remains the same. About 106-110 on trackman with my all out at 111-114.

Ok your speed comes up IMMEDIATELY after a session when you hit balls but take a break for 15 mins or come out the next day and all the progress is lost and back to normal baseline speed.

And yes I use radar and yes I do all out effort.  My green stick speed is 119-124 and wont go any higher. 

The other thing is if you want to work on your iron game and swing technique your speed will regress.  But hitting max speed non stop destroys your swing eventually.

Hey Trap, just sent you a message, lets connect and see if I can help. Thanks! 

On 4/13/2021 at 10:29 AM, Elee913 said:

Having a few real outdoor rounds under my belt, I can safely say that I am hitting my drives much longer, even with the soft conditions we still have here in MA.  I can see longer drives both looking at my Garmin statistics on the same course, where I am 10-15 yards longer alone (again with soft conditions).  And I'm also now meaningfully outdriving my playing partners, who have all commented on how I am hitting it so much further.  I've only been doing the Speedsticks, and if anything my overall fitness has gone down since COVID.  

I'm in my second jump right now having started week 16.  It's fascinating that the Jumps I am seeing mirror what Superspeed itself says will typically happen.  I'm going to see what happens now if I really start to swing hard during range sessions.

Thanks for the info, congrats on the gains! Keep it up!

1 hour ago, SuperSpeed Golf said:

Hi Hahanice, thanks for the detailed breakdown. This type of information sometimes is tricky to explain over email, please do not take any of this out of context. We get this question a lot. We have always said no more then 3 days a week due to the rest and recover that your nervous system requires.

Training to increase club head with SuperSpeed (an underload / overload system) is training your nervous system and not your muscles. Reducing the weight is getting your nervous system to understand that it can swing the golf club faster. Unfortunately we aren't able to feel our nervous systems ability to recovery like we do with sore muscles.  We have commonly seen that gym work especially daily training that also combines a lot of endurance / cardio work will make a player slower or limit possible gains. Your ability to maximize speed is controlled by your nervous system (like a governor on a car) and when you rest and recover all of the work your body is doing is focused on the physical work you do daily and not the nervous system work. 

I find your comments on the nervous system very interesting.  Muscle Activation Technique got a lot of my nervous system working more correctly and improved my posture got rid of most of my lower back pain.  I am pretty certain that getting the supporting muscles activated also increased my swing speed.  I believe that most golfers would benefit from getting their nerves 'reconnected' or whatever the proper terminology is!  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SuperSpeed Golf said:

We have commonly seen that gym work especially daily training that also combines a lot of endurance / cardio work will make a player slower or limit possible gains.

This has been so true in my experience. I noticed this years before I tried any underload/overload training.

My latest attempt at this is to swing the blue stick 8-10 times, with good technique, a few times per week. I am seeing increases on the course.

Edited by DLiver
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 11:00 AM, SuperSpeed Golf said:

Good morning Body_Visions, thanks for purchasing SuperSpeed! 

- For radars, some radars are certainly better than others. We recommend something on the ground as opposed to something on the hand, just more consistent in measuring the speed of the actual club. We currently sell the PRGR launch monitor on our site. When tested against the big dollar units, the clubhead speed and ball speed numbers are very close. The radar retails for $199 USD.

https://superspeedgolf.com/collections/all-products/products/prgr-black-pocket-launch-monitor

At the end of the day, we definitely thing you should have something to be able to quantify.

- When record keeping, some people write down every swing while others feels that it is too much and only record the fastest. I've attached tracking sheet examples for both. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.49.29 AM.png

speed training log.xlsx 12.51 kB · 52 downloads

I got the PRGR monitor as you recommended, and plan on starting this week.  Where do you recommend placing the unit for optimal readings?  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 5:52 PM, MysteryV said:

I'm now 4 sessions in and have a few questions:

1) Is anyone using the PRGR Black radar?  If so, have you found that it tops out at 131 with the speed sticks?  I wrote superspeed and they say the unit can read up to 180 mph.  That said, I find it strange that I consistently max out at 131, but have not had one swing above that number.

2) Does anyone know how reliable the readings are when the unit shows both club and ball speed when there is no ball present?  What causes this, and which reading do we believe is actually measured (or do we need to throw both of them out?)

@SuperSpeed Golf would really appreciate your input here if possible.  Heck - if you could go have someone you know swing the light stick above 131 on a PRGR and get back to me - that would take the cake for customer service as I purchased the package from you.  Thank you!

Just happened upon this threed. This has been happening to me for months. Never been able to get over 131 with the green stick, while blue and red speeds have increased to 128 and 121

•  💎💎💎 8* Paradym playing at 7*, ADUB 7X, tipped 1"
  • Ping 425 LST 13* Ping Tour Black 7X
  • Ping 425 2HY 17* Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX, T200U 100X HZ Black, Paradym TD 5 Wood GT 80TX
  • TaylorMade Combo, 1U/1S, PX LS 6.5 
  • 770 4I, P7MC 5-PW
  • SM9 50.08F, SM8 55.11S, SM9 60.06 T
  • Taylormade Spider X Face Balanced, Scotty Phantom X 5s, Odyssey Ten Ball 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an old guy (61) with a bad neck and shoulder but in pretty good shape. Pretty active and do some form of exercise every day. 

I have always felt my swingspeed should be higher.   It has been only around 85-88 with my drives going 215-225 yards or so. 

So this past January I ordered the SuperSpeed kit and did the training. 

It has worked out very well for me.  I always did  the warm up exercises (and also do them before every round of golf).  

I am just about finished Level 2 and my swingspeed (without a ball and using the Swing Speed Sensor) has increased from 90 to 102.    With a ball on the course it has been around 95. 

My drives on the course have increased to 235-250.   Which is a significant difference for me on longer par 4's.   Hitting a 7 iron into the green vs a 3 hybrid is so much easier.  Lower scores have been the result.  

So it has been well worth the effort and cost.   The warm up takes me about 20 minutes and the training session about another 40 minutes.  

I used the Senior kit which is Yellow Green and Blue vs the Green Blue and Red regular set. 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

I started this program on April 1st.   First time using the ss system.... I have always been blessed with a good amount of speed.  Without speed training I was always able to get into the upper 120's and low 130's on track man.      My last track man session I was upper 130's and a few swings in the low 140's... I have unfortunately started to crack driver heads again like I did when I used to compete in long drive.   The program def works !

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Body_Visions said:

I’m just starting and have a question.  I’m working on reading the entire thread, but it will take a while.

I am looking for opinions on whether the non-dominant side swings are necessary, and has anyone had success not using them. 

Thanks for any ideas!

Short version: the non-dominant swings are very important. Don't skip them.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the help guys, everything y’all said makes sense, and I will continue.  

I was concerned that with pure speed being the goal, I couldn’t give 100% effort on every swing making that many.  

One more thing:

I am going to finish the recommended six weeks with protocol 1.  Does anyone have any recommendations from there?

Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, Body_Visions said:

Thanks for the help guys, everything y’all said makes sense, and I will continue.  

I was concerned that with pure speed being the goal, I couldn’t give 100% effort on every swing making that many.  

One more thing:

I am going to finish the recommended six weeks with protocol 1.  Does anyone have any recommendations from there?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, they have 5 protocols that will last the entire year, so just move onto protocol #2.   Keep on it, I’m on level 3 and definitely  have seen increased swing speed for sure.  I have been very strict with my form as I would in a normal golf swing and feel that it has improved my fundamental swing.  Doing it the opposite has also helped for me get the “feel” of a proper sequence in my swing.  It’s pretty obvious when I started swing left handed (I’m a righty) how bad my swing was that way.  As I have improved swinging lefty, it has increased my awareness of swinging the club properly.  Keep at it.

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 8:43 PM, PGGolf10 said:

Yes, they have 5 protocols that will last the entire year, so just move onto protocol #2.   Keep on it, I’m on level 3 and definitely  have seen increased swing speed for sure.  I have been very strict with my form as I would in a normal golf swing and feel that it has improved my fundamental swing.  Doing it the opposite has also helped for me get the “feel” of a proper sequence in my swing.  It’s pretty obvious when I started swing left handed (I’m a righty) how bad my swing was that way.  As I have improved swinging lefty, it has increased my awareness of swinging the club properly.  Keep at it.

Thanks.  I guess I’ll just keep going through those.  

Im not sure about the knee swings though, seems like a great way to ruin one’s swing and body.  

2 hours ago, Body_Visions said:

Thanks.  I guess I’ll just keep going through those.  

Im not sure about the knee swings though, seems like a great way to ruin one’s swing and body.  

Obviously if something hurts don't do it!  I have found that at my age (66) I can tolerate about 20 full speed swings with overspeed training clubs on any one day and no more then 3 days a week max.  I would advise anyone to figure what works for you to produce the speed that you are looking for and go with it.  It may be the recommended program or it might be something reduced or possibly the other direction.  I have never tried the knee swings because I don't believe it would be a good idea for my knees or my lower back.  Listen to what your body is telling you!  

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 12:35 PM, Nels55 said:

Obviously if something hurts don't do it!  I have found that at my age (66) I can tolerate about 20 full speed swings with overspeed training clubs on any one day and no more then 3 days a week max.  I would advise anyone to figure what works for you to produce the speed that you are looking for and go with it.  It may be the recommended program or it might be something reduced or possibly the other direction.  I have never tried the knee swings because I don't believe it would be a good idea for my knees or my lower back.  Listen to what your body is telling you!  

Thanks!  I don’t think those will be good for me either, and honestly believe I need to cut, say the original program down to two each, or maybe just make the leftie swings with the heavy and light clubs, leave the middle three out. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys… I apologize in advance but I’m not reading through every page to the answer of this question. It’s obviously the consensus is this aid works to increase speed. 

My question is does this type of speed training actually help your golf swing as well? Did anyone become more accurate from using the Superspeed sticks alone? I tend to think it might actually help me with sequencing and learning how and when to create speed better. 

Thanks in advance. 

@MonteScheinblum

What's your take on using these sticks solely for continued reinforcement of proper kinematic sequencing for better players and NOT necessarily about pure speed increases? I am toying with mine and it seems that they are a good tool to properly sequence. Have you used them for this with your better players? 

Edited by getitdaily

• 1 month later...