SuperSpeed Golf training system

Thanks Flushem. Only difference is I have no epoxy! Will see how that pans out....

Will try and report progress. I don't have a swing speed radar but do have free access to a trackman so will do the protocol at home and check real driver speed change every week or so when I go to the range.

G

While I won't say doing that makes this a completely pointless exercise, it certainly defeats the purpose to a major extent.

You have no idea what the difference between swinging hard, and swinging fast is without that feedback.

As far as my own progress, I am up 2 mph on my driver in 5 sessions. I will note that I have some shoulder limitations though. If I could truly go all out I know my gains would be more. Will continue.........

Hi Gretch, you could well be entirely right, but I don't really have s choice at the minute.

Like I said, if I want, I can use s trackman 5 times a week. But rather than obsess over the numbers, I'm going to use this like a winter workout (in grim here in Fife,UK just now!) And will keep tabs on the main objective which is an increase in real driver speed.

I have a lot of scope for improvement. Currently swinging around 98-99mph. That's pretty standard for me although I can creep up to 103-104mph in the summer when playing a bit more. I'm early 30's and 6'2 so think I can physically do more, just need to grease the groove a bit!

I will try hard to prove you wrong!lol?

From the people at SuperSpeed.

“High-precision motor skills like hitting a golf ball down the fairway with a driver are what we call “multi-goal” motor patterns. This means that we have the goal of hitting the ball far, straight, and at advanced levels even with specific trajectory and curvature. With the complexity of this type of motor pattern, we have found that making significant change is difficult, in fact increasingly difficult as the skill level of the player increases.

In our case we are very interested in helping players increase the speed of their golf swing. We have found that by removing some of the goals of the motor pattern, in this case, taking the ball away and making free swings with our SuperSpeed Clubs, we are able to get players to make much more significant improvements to their sequencing, ground force mechanics, and wrist/club lag than by attempting to only train them with a driver in hand and a ball on the tee.

Moreover, we actually find that the difference in result becomes greater as the skill level of the player increasers. High level amateurs and tour players doing overspeed training with drivers and hitting golf balls will see very little change in swing speed before and after a training session. They will see very big changes before and after testing with free swings. The best theory on this scenario is that because the tour player’s level of expertise is so high, the motor pattern with the multiple goals goes into affect automatically when the player is over the ball with a driver. Therefore, significant change is very difficult to achieve. Without all of the normal goals of the motor pattern (free swings) the player is able to make much more significant alteration to the motion.

Overall, we have found that free swings make the biggest difference in overspeed training with all levels of golfers. It allows the player to feel much less restricted. This we find allows players to more quickly find and discover new and more efficient ways of creating speed.”

That's such an important aspect of the system. Glad you posted it. It's difficult for some people to get their heads around the idea that speed and skill can/should be largely divorced for a process like this.

In reality, you're not temporarily dumping the skill aspect of golf, but rather focusing specifically on the skill of swinging with increased speed.

“High-precision motor skills like hitting a golf ball down the fairway with a driver are what we call “multi-goal” motor patterns. This means that we have the goal of hitting the ball far, straight, and at advanced levels even with specific trajectory and curvature. With the complexity of this type of motor pattern, we have found that making significant change is difficult, in fact increasingly difficult as the skill level of the player increases.

In our case we are very interested in helping players increase the speed of their golf swing. We have found that by removing some of the goals of the motor pattern, in this case, taking the ball away and making free swings with our SuperSpeed Clubs, we are able to get players to make much more significant improvements to their sequencing, ground force mechanics, and wrist/club lag than by attempting to only train them with a driver in hand and a ball on the tee.

Moreover, we actually find that the difference in result becomes greater as the skill level of the player increasers. High level amateurs and tour players doing overspeed training with drivers and hitting golf balls will see very little change in swing speed before and after a training session. They will see very big changes before and after testing with free swings. The best theory on this scenario is that because the tour player’s level of expertise is so high, the motor pattern with the multiple goals goes into affect automatically when the player is over the ball with a driver. Therefore, significant change is very difficult to achieve. Without all of the normal goals of the motor pattern (free swings) the player is able to make much more significant alteration to the motion.

Overall, we have found that free swings make the biggest difference in overspeed training with all levels of golfers. It allows the player to feel much less restricted. This we find allows players to more quickly find and discover new and more efficient ways of creating speed.”

So if I am understanding this correctly, a low handicap will get less improvement from this training than a mid-high handicap?

So if I am understanding this correctly, a low handicap will get less improvement from this training than a mid-high handicap?

I think what it's saying is that taking the ball and the clubhead away work for players of all abilities as it simplifies the motor pattern, vs. swinging at a ball with a clubhead and engaging the full complexities of the motor pattern. The latter (keeping the clubhead and ball) is particularly poor at increasing swing speed in highly skilled players because their motor patterns are even more refined and specific and they find it difficult to produce extra speed that way, because the brain is always thinking "control".

Said another way, abstracting control from speed is really important when trying to encourage the brain to increase raw speed, and even more important with highly skilled players.

I think what it's saying is that taking the ball and the clubhead away work for players of all abilities as it simplifies the motor pattern, vs. swinging at a ball with a clubhead and engaging the full complexities of the motor pattern. The latter (keeping the clubhead and ball) is particularly poor at increasing swing speed in highly skilled players because their motor patterns are even more refined and specific and they find it difficult to produce extra speed that way, because the brain is always thinking "control".

Said another way, abstracting control from speed is really important when trying to encourage the brain to increase raw speed, and even more important with highly skilled players.

Thank you for the clarification.

after one month of ssg, I feel like I hit a wall but not discouraged.

My driving swing is not quite there yet. Lotta improvement to make. one day, I faded/sliced due to way too fast lower body. So next day, I slowed the lower body. Then, I started hitting almost every drive to left. I am going nuts. Once again, not discouraged. I consider it as pain to develop better swing.

Haha my spreadsheet looks almost just like this even though I'm only a few sessions in! Keep it up!

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Let me say I think this is a great training aid and def works. I have used it in many a student and many have purchased the system. However, The one thing no one discusses with this product is if you have any joint/nerve pain or golf/tennis elbow please be careful. Ive seen people with no issues who are too tense/tight develop issues. So please be careful

I went to the dome again today, and saw the same results with a different bay. I’m still probably a couple of months from confirming on the course, but this is exciting

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I went to the dome again today, and saw the same results with a different bay. I'm still probably a couple of months from confirming on the course, but this is exciting

how is your kneeling swing coming along? I will have to start Protocol 1 soon.

I’m going to start that with my next session. I still need to find a pad to kneel on, so that’s something I need to figure out this weekend.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

PF, I love the 15 min stretch. I do it every day after workout/ssg session. So simple but effective. My buddy with Charlie Barkley swing started too. Thanx a bunch.

Glad you like it, flushem! I'm now in the habit of doing it every morning before work. It's so simple and quick that I can't make excuses to avoid it...

Interesting blog entry from Miles of Golf about the SS system. They had 4 people (college kid, 30s male, 40s female, and 70 yo teaching pro) do the program throughout last season, and all 4 picked up 7-8mph of clubhead speed. I’d be thrilled with 5 mph, personally. That would put me around 120+, which would be great as a 41yo who is still trying to compete with the young guys.

https://www.milesofgolf.com/speed-training/

Interesting blog entry from Miles of Golf about the SS system. They had 4 people (college kid, 30s male, 40s female, and 70 yo teaching pro) do the program throughout last season, and all 4 picked up 7-8mph of clubhead speed. I’d be thrilled with 5 mph, personally. That would put me around 120+, which would be great as a 41yo who is still trying to compete with the young guys.

https://www.milesofgolf.com/speed-training/

That's very encouraging! Unfortunately I'm starting from such a low bar I'm hoping for 10 mph and no less. That should enable me to outdrive my mother in law... maybe.

Went to grab my Overspeed sticks today and fiund my SSR with a broken lcd screen. Looks like I need to irder another one before I start back on the Protocol one.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Went to grab my Overspeed sticks today and fiund my SSR with a broken lcd screen. Looks like I need to irder another one before I start back on the Protocol one.

Mine has taken multiple beatings and - even with a cracked screen - is good no strong. Someday it will give up the ghost.

I wish they updated the SSR with a backlit screen or audible readouts of results. I love the unit, but that would be a huge improvement.

As I mentioned previously, I don't have a swing speed radar to monitor so am doing the protocol by feel. I thought I would give it a try as I really don't have the funds at the minute. It seems to be going ok.

I have found non dominant side swings very eye opening! Getting better already though.

Well, by way of an update, I have been doing the starter protocols this week (3 times) and went to the range today with trackman to see how I would get on. Very encouraged. It was -1c today so didn't expect much but was swinging driver, comfortably 103mph. Average for me before was about 98-100mph. In the summer after swinging hard on the range for a while I have been up to 103 before, but this was different. I was swinging at this speed with 4 layers of clothes on and it felt normal. Carry was up from about 235yds to closer to 245yds and totals of approx 270yds on better hits.

7 iron recently has been 78-80mph. Today it never dropped below 83mph. Distance increase was less noticeable as my launch angle is way to high with irons so a bit of work to do there.

So somewhere around 3mph right through the bag.

Got a lesson on Wednesday and will keep up the beginner protocol for another week before going to protocol 1. Not feeling overly fatigued by the beginner protocol but has been a useful platform.

G

Mine has taken multiple beatings and - even with a cracked screen - is good no strong. Someday it will give up the ghost.

I wish they updated the SSR with a backlit screen or audible readouts of results. I love the unit, but that would be a huge improvement.

I found my Bel Swingmate which seems like it will never die and its just about spot on with the radar readings compared to the SSR. I cant get over that the price of the SSR hasn't come down one bit on eBay or Amazon.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I found my Bel Swingmate which seems like it will never die and its just about spot on with the radar readings compared to the SSR. I cant get over that the price of the SSR hasn't come down one bit on eBay or Amazon.

Honda, wb to the program. You were the OG pioneer of this thread.

Last night, I swang my driver about 15 times. the average ss was about 110 ranging from 105 to 130. 110 definitely was comfy.

I might have to change shaft on my new driver. LOL.

Wow, the second stage of this program is a big increase in activity! Adding the kneeling swings, plus bumping up the reps to 5 makes it seem almost like a workout.

I ended up ordering this pad, and it worked well. I wish it was a little wider, but it seems like it’ll do the job for this program.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EQFBZ7G?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd

Honda, wb to the program. You were the OG pioneer of this thread.

Last night, I swang my driver about 15 times. the average ss was about 110 ranging from 105 to 130. 110 definitely was comfy.

I might have to change shaft on my new driver. LOL.

I stop doing the training once I got my Flightscope Mevo since my speeds were pretty consistent but have sold the Mevo and now getting some cabin fever. Seems the overspeed training also works for baseball. I have my son who is our top hitter on all 3 teams he is on has been doing some speed training. While we are doing sets hitting off the tee into the net I have him do a bunch a swings with a yellow whiffle ball bat. I have had people ask me what my son does for lessons and I just say we play a lot of whiffle ball to avoid explaining what OS training is.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I stop doing the training once I got my Flightscope Mevo since my speeds were pretty consistent but have sold the Mevo and now getting some cabin fever. Seems the overspeed training also works for baseball. I have my son who is our top hitter on all 3 teams he is on has been doing some speed training. While we are doing sets hitting off the tee into the net I have him do a bunch a swings with a yellow whiffle ball bat. I have had people ask me what my son does for lessons and I just say we play a lot of whiffle ball to avoid explaining what OS training is.

That's pretty cool! Overload/underload was used in baseball before golf, and it seems like you've found a very simple way to incorporate it!

Out of interest, why did you sell the Mevo?

That's pretty cool! Overload/underload was used in baseball before golf, and it seems like you've found a very simple way to incorporate it!

After you learn all of your yardages the Mevo becomes kind of useless. I have more positive things to say about the Mevo then bad. The battle with me was more about the $500 I spent and what else could I spent the money on instead. Where as I spent $400 on a Bushnell Laser that I use on every hole while playing golf, the $500 Mevo started sitting on the shelf when I went out to the range. I actually started to compare the Mevo to the Bel Swingmate "had to bring it up again" that I paid $30 for to be very similar with the yardages. Mevo is just a better ES12. It did do a good job on helping me map my wedge distances using the Pelz clock method. But again I could of just did the same thing by using my laser and walking off the distances. Mevo is cool but not really a necessary to own piece of gear. I sold it and applied the money to new AP2's.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

After you learn all of your yardages the Mevo becomes kind of useless. I have more positive things to say about the Mevo then bad. The battle with me was more about the $500 I spent and what else could I spent the money on instead. Where as I spent $400 on a Bushnell Laser that I use on every hole while playing golf, the $500 Mevo started sitting on the shelf when I went out to the range. I actually started to compare the Mevo to the Bel Swingmate "had to bring it up again" that I paid $30 for to be very similar with the yardages. Mevo is just a better ES12. It did do a good job on helping me map my wedge distances using the Pelz clock method. But again I could of just did the same thing by using my laser and walking off the distances. Mevo is cool but not really a necessary to own piece of gear. I sold it and applied the money to new AP2's.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. That's where my head was. I love the concept, but was unsure if the limited applications would be worth it.

I could use it for the range, but then I have other ways to assess yardages there, and I'm not using real balls on the range anyway. I could use it on the course, but it's one more thing to carry, and I can check real life yardages using Game Golf Live for $100.

Ultimately the SSR works very well for SuperSpeed (as does your Bel), so I'll probably save my pennies for Skytrak.

That's such an important aspect of the system. Glad you posted it. It's difficult for some people to get their heads around the idea that speed and skill can/should be largely divorced for a process like this.

In reality, you're not temporarily dumping the skill aspect of golf, but rather focusing specifically on the skill of swinging with increased speed.

Good post.

I've just finished reading Tom Brady's book, and while I don't necessarily buy into everything that he has to say about weight training, he makes the statement that you "can't train slow for something that you do fast".

Transferring that to the golf swing, if you don't train your muscles to move faster, they just won't, no matter how strong you might be. Doesn't mean that there are plenty of people out there who are able to swing a golf club really fast with good technique, of course, but overspeed training for swinging a golf club isn't much different than techniques being used in other sports. Overload...

A quick update with the key intention of encouraging others and keeping folks engaged. For the last few years, my swing speed on GC2 HMT has consistently averaged about 110mph. Bad days average around 108 and good days 112. On SSR, numbers are a little higher like 112/113 on average days. Good swings would be 115. I started super speed on 12/29 so I've been at for only five sessions. I must admit, I have also been doing a lot of heavy squats and deadlifts (heavy for me), core and flexibility at the gym the last few months. Nevertheless, hitting balls with my gamer M2 tonight, which again is typically 111-113 on SSR, I hit 120 a few times in a row. I'll be the first to admit SSR numbers may be a little high, but the key takeaway is that my speed has increased. I'm about to turn 39 in a few weeks, so I would just be happy with at least maintaining and maybe a little increase. How much of it is the working out and other training vs the overspeed? That's difficult to say, but even my super speed training numbers have increased steadily. In my first session, the average of my last three swings with light/green was 118 and max was 120. Tonight average of the last three was 126 with 127 max. Every drill from both sides has seen gains, with more gains on the left handed to the point in which the speeds are getting very close right handed, my natural side.The point, stick with it people. If you stay committed, make sure you're warming up and make sure you're working out, improvement can happen. The key for me now is to go even harder and make sure these gains stick!

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2