SuperSpeed Golf training system

If this has been answered I've missed it.

Does using this system result in developing a mechanically bad swing?

I took the DIY route with washers and did the Intro protocol. I found that I was "swinging hard" predominantly with my hands, arms, and shoulders and was not using my body as I should. Historically my driver distances are shorter when I have a hands and arms dominated swing.

Conversely when I use an Orange Whip I feel that I am engaging my body to help swing the club.

As I continue using the SuperSpeed approach will I naturally start using my body to help swing the club? Is this something I should consciously try and do?

As far as I can tell the program is just to "swing as hard as you can" and things will get better. Can someone enlighten me?

TIA

Before i do the training i swing my driver at half speed, then full speed to get the feel for a normal swing, i did start out with the SS training by just jumping in, but it did have me getting out of sync (thinning the ball more often), hence why i started doing the driver swings beforehand, and then doing the protocols slowly. This is probably why it takes me ages to complete the full sets!

Before i do the training i swing my driver at half speed, then full speed to get the feel for a normal swing, i did start out with the SS training by just jumping in, but it did have me getting out of sync (thinning the ball more often), hence why i started doing the driver swings beforehand, and then doing the protocols slowly. This is probably why it takes me ages to complete the full sets!

Sounds like a good idea. Kind of maybe related, I had a foot tumor 5 years ago, and I spent 6 months not swinging a golf club at all, but played Tiger Woods on the Wii a bunch with my kid. When I finally got a club back in my hand I was dead topping to thinning everything the first day, and then it took weeks to start making consistent contact. I swore I would never play a game like that again. Swinging these things above the ground sounds kinda similar.......

So I started to build my own set trying to mimic the weights seen in this pic from the super speed website. The first two came out to 265g and 295g. The thing I also noticed was that my actual gamer driver is 338 grams, about the weight of the "heavy driver". For training purposes, should I stick to these 240, 290 and 335 gram weights or should they be 20% lighter, 10% lighter and 5% heavier than my standard driver?

fc714f726c4e8659549e0bf8866679e5.jpg

I spoke with the company. They recommended as close to -20, -10, +5. They said a few percent off is not a problem.

I took the DIY route with washers and did the Intro protocol. I found that I was "swinging hard" predominantly with my hands, arms, and shoulders and was not using my body as I should. Historically my driver distances are shorter when I have a hands and arms dominated swing.

Conversely when I use an Orange Whip I feel that I am engaging my body to help swing the club.

As I continue using the SuperSpeed approach will I naturally start using my body to help swing the club? Is this something I should consciously try and do?

As far as I can tell the program is just to "swing as hard as you can" and things will get better. Can someone enlighten me?

TIA

I don't think it promotes bad swing mechanics. Were you measuring you're swing speed when you went through the protocol? I could be wrong, but I doubt that you will increase your swing speed by just swinging hard with your hands and arms. From my experience any initial gains are made by improving your swing sequence. For example the timing of the step-in/planting the left foot just before the impact/speed measure location have created quite large fluctuations for me, 5-10 mph. I believe any initial gains will be based on improving your sequence and latter gains if you stick with the program will be due to physical improvements (and fine tuning of your sequence).

I picked up the superspeed golf package and SS radar back in early June. I stuck with it for about 2-2.5 months and saw some improvements, got into protocol 2 for about 3 weeks with the kneeling swings. However, I got a bit discouraged by late results during that period, grips got worn/were bad to begin with to the point the heavy stick flew out of my hand on a left hand swing (I was aiming down the driving range and it was empty at the time so no harm), etc. Excuses excuses... :P

I've started it again this past week, back on Protocol 1 but with 5 swings each club and exercise. I've been keeping track of my results throughout and will post some figures of my progress as I get back into it again. It will be a good way to keep accountability and sticking with the program as a recent member noted.

TIA

I don't think it promotes bad swing mechanics. Were you measuring you're swing speed when you went through the protocol? I could be wrong, but I doubt that you will increase your swing speed by just swinging hard with your hands and arms. From my experience any initial gains are made by improving your swing sequence. For example the timing of the step-in/planting the left foot just before the impact/speed measure location have created quite large fluctuations for me, 5-10 mph. I believe any initial gains will be based on improving your sequence and latter gains if you stick with the program will be due to physical improvements (and fine tuning of your sequence).

I picked up the superspeed golf package and SS radar back in early June. I stuck with it for about 2-2.5 months and saw some improvements, got into protocol 2 for about 3 weeks with the kneeling swings. However, I got a bit discouraged by late results during that period, grips got worn/were bad to begin with to the point the heavy stick flew out of my hand on a left hand swing (I was aiming down the driving range and it was empty at the time so no harm), etc. Excuses excuses... :P

I've started it again this past week, back on Protocol 1 but with 5 swings each club and exercise. I've been keeping track of my results throughout and will post some figures of my progress as I get back into it again. It will be a good way to keep accountability and sticking with the program as a recent member noted.

you are superswede indeed. nice words

My experience is you need to be patient, which I am not good at.

First up, make sure you warm up properly, not rush at the routine to get it done. I did that and was out with a shoulder injury for 2 months.

Then don't be too results focussed, TRUST the results will come and just stick to a protocol every other day. It is a proven system, BUT if you are results led it's real easy to get disengaged if you don't get some early gains. Winter is here, so it's a good time to be patient and then look forward to seeing how this translates in Spring

And my final advice is to equally concentrate on stretching. Waking the fast twitch muscles is one thing, you can make further gains by getting the club in better positions by being more flexible. Bubba is the classic example as is JT

My experience is you need to be patient, which I am not good at.

First up, make sure you warm up properly, not rush at the routine to get it done. I did that and was out with a shoulder injury for 2 months.

Then don't be too results focussed, TRUST the results will come and just stick to a protocol every other day. It is a proven system, BUT if you are results led it's real easy to get disengaged if you don't get some early gains. Winter is here, so it's a good time to be patient and then look forward to seeing how this translates in Spring

And my final advice is to equally concentrate on stretching. Waking the fast twitch muscles is one thing, you can make further gains by getting the club in better positions by being more flexible. Bubba is the classic example as is JT

Thanks to all of you for your replies. They have been very helpful. I'm just starting this and wanted to check on things before I went too far into the training.

Now I have the finished product. I use taped washers glued to the shaft. Also I use a bolt and smaller washer to secure the taped washers.

But one big problem, overweight. I did not anticipate the weight of bolt, small washer, tape and epoxy. the lightest one should have been 275g but 341g. the same weight as my driver. the middle one weighs 375g and the heaviest one 441g. ARGH!!!!!!!

Now I consider to keep them as is or to build two new gears.

My DIY gears will be 46" long. In your opinion, do you see issue?

How do they feel? Being over in length and weight I would think the swing weight will be very high compared to what you set out to create. One option could be to adjust the lengths of the shafts to get the swing weight equal to the intended setup. I'm no expert on swing weight, but a lot of knowledgeable members around I'm sure and general tables online.

Tonight, I had the first session; warm-up & introductory videos. I gripped down an inch and they felt ok. The overweighted gears didn't bother me much either.

I will have one more session tomorrow night before a round on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing the "premature" difference in ss and distance.

I just ordered the set, do those of you doing this training do a warm up or stretching routine before starting the protocol? I usually stretch and warm up before hitting shots at the range, so I'm wondering if that is recommended here as well.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I just ordered the set, do those of you doing this training do a warm up or stretching routine before starting the protocol? I usually stretch and warm up before hitting shots at the range, so I'm wondering if that is recommended here as well.

Definitely do a warm up beforehand, the protocols involve going as fast as you can, and you need to be loose to do that safely.

Definitely do a warm up beforehand, the protocols involve going as fast as you can, and you need to be loose to do that safely.

1+. I felt the load soon after the first session. Last night, I worked for an hour before the session. Then my body is not as stiff as night before. IMO, stretch & warm-up are MUST. I saw 8% increase in SS.

TIA

I’m currently doing the protocols...I think there is enough people that have developed bad habits to say it certainly can. Imo it’s partly because most people speed up their backswing..myself included. My normal driver swing stop at parallel or just short of it. My superspeed swings are way past parallel. Yoir body is pretty intuitive on what it need to do to create more speed.

1+. I felt the load soon after the first session. Last night, I worked for an hour before the session. Then my body is not as stiff as night before. IMO, stretch & warm-up are MUST. I saw 8% increase in SS.

Nice gains! After how many sessions did you see the 8%???

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

I'm interested too. From what I've read superspeed is helping you train pure speed. Orange whip is more tempo. Love to hear results from those who have tried it.

Exactly, regarding the Orange Whip, though most mid/high caps could benefit greatly by its use if they applied it diligently, consistently and with focus in their practice routines as most have tempos that are for shat, lol

Seriously?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

TIA

I’m currently doing the protocols...I think there is enough people that have developed bad habits to say it certainly can. Imo it’s partly because most people speed up their backswing..myself included. My normal driver swing stop at parallel or just short of it. My superspeed swings are way past parallel. Yoir body is pretty intuitive on what it need to do to create more speed.

It was mentioned above regarding not focusing on the numbers and the results and instead focusing on the process and your mechanics.

If you already have a solid consistent swing then you already know how to visualize your swing with proper sequencing and transferring that vision to your actual swing, regardless of the swing speed, should be no problem.

I do not know of anyone who can use a hands/arm swing and come near their distance with a properly sequenced full speed swing and if one has a sound swing mechanically prior to using this program, then these routines will have no negative effect.

If one is experiencing negative results/feedback from the program, then it’s not the routine/program’s fault, it’s the guy swinging the club, lol

Just stop, back up and visualize and most importantly FEEL the proper swing and this can most effectively be done with slo mo, 1/4 and 1/2 speed swings. This takes time, patience and most of all focus & discipline, which most, oh, I’d say about 98%, don’t have.

This is a great system and I’ve seen Maddie’s students who have benefited greatly by its use and made significant gains in their SS, however they had fundamentally strong swings prior to starting the program.

She obviously cannot prevent someone from buying and trying this program however she does have many students, probably 75-80%, who’s swings are a work in progress and she would not recommend it to them until they develop a consistent properly sequenced repeatable swing.

As always, just my .03 worth ?

Stay well Gents?

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

You’ll want to do some stretching/warming up before you start, for sure, just like you would before hitting balls at the range or before a round. I’ve been doing the protocols in my garage this past week, and in addition to some stretches to loosen up my shoulders, back, & core, I’ve also been making 10 or so easy swings with the heavy training club before starting the full speed swings in the protocol.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

You'll want to do some stretching/warming up before you start, for sure, just like you would before hitting balls at the range or before a round. I've been doing the protocols in my garage this past week, and in addition to some stretches to loosen up my shoulders, back, & core, I've also been making 10 or so easy swings with the heavy training club before starting the full speed swings in the protocol.

It seemed like common sense to warm up first but the video didn't mention it, so I just thought I'd ask those who actually had the kit if they mention warm up and stretching.

Thanks to all that responded.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Would any of you be interested in an app for tracking you progress? What features would you want. Would you pay 2$ for it?

I would but I'm afraid the #1 issue I have may be difficult to solve, namely the entry of each recorded swing speed. As is I'm having to call out each swing and then either record the whole session and then go back through it to enter into the spreadsheet (which makes the session take nearly twice as long), or have my wife log them as I call them out (and believe it or not she's not super keen about doing this 3x a week)...

Been doing the initial protocol off and on this year, along with increased deadlifts, glutes weight work, hamstring and back work in the gym (in addition to my TPI work with a trainer once a week.) Raised my swing speed consistently to 110 from a starting speed of just over 100, which I am happy with for a 44yr old. However now hernia surgery on Tuesday so the programme is on hold until the end of the month.

I played what was pretty likely my last round of the year yesterday (weather looks like it's going to turn to winter in the next couple of days) on a course that I know pretty well, with one guy I play with regularly (and who is going to be starting SS training over the winter), and it really seemed like I was hitting the ball significantly farther off the tee with all three clubs that I regularly use for tee shots, based on where I was compared to my buddy and the spots I usually am on the course. The best part was that I had possibly my best driving round of the year. I had one drive that I hit thin off the heel that sliced into the right rough, but other than that I missed two fairways, both where I hit it through them or caught a slope. I didn't notice any real difference in how far I was hitting my irons. Maybe a couple of extra yards with my 3/4 irons, when I tried to stretch them to reach a couple of par 5s, but I didn't find that I needed to adjust my club selection.

I've been doing the SS protocols for a week now (4 times total, including after yesterday's round), and I'm definitely encouraged by what I've seen so far. Extra yards off the tee are always welcome, especially as I get older (41, currently). Look out, Bubba, I'm coming for you! :bb:

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I played what was pretty likely my last round of the year yesterday (weather looks like it's going to turn to winter in the next couple of days) on a course that I know pretty well, with one guy I play with regularly (and who is going to be starting SS training over the winter), and it really seemed like I was hitting the ball significantly farther off the tee with all three clubs that I regularly use for tee shots, based on where I was compared to my buddy and the spots I usually am on the course. The best part was that I had possibly my best driving round of the year. I had one drive that I hit thin off the heel that sliced into the right rough, but other than that I missed two fairways, both where I hit it through them or caught a slope. I didn't notice any real difference in how far I was hitting my irons. Maybe a couple of extra yards with my 3/4 irons, when I tried to stretch them to reach a couple of par 5s, but I didn't find that I needed to adjust my club selection.

I've been doing the SS protocols for a week now (4 times total, including after yesterday's round), and I'm definitely encouraged by what I've seen so far. Extra yards off the tee are always welcome, especially as I get older (41, currently). Look out, Bubba, I'm coming for you! :bb:

Ouch! That would make it tough for me to see the season end. I would want to do that again ASAP!

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Ouch! That would make it tough for me to see the season end. I would want to do that again ASAP!

Yeah, I'm really not ready to hang them up for the year. Unfortunately, my iron game and putting weren't to the same level so I didn't put it all together to go low, but if I can put together a combination of accuracy and extra speed, I'll be excited to tee it up once the snow melts.

Yeah, I'm really not ready to hang them up for the year. Unfortunately, my iron game and putting weren't to the same level so I didn't put it all together to go low, but if I can put together a combination of accuracy and extra speed, I'll be excited to tee it up once the snow melts.

Is there a market for a SuperSpeed Putter? :taunt: