2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

SuperSpeed Golf training system

I tried using my SSR to measure ball speed this past weekend. The pics below show how I did it and my best speed of the day. Getting the ball to go directly over the SSR was good practice starting the ball online and harder than I thought. I'm not going to go around claiming my BS is 189, but I did see a lot of 178-183's on solid hits with beat up Chromesofts. My last time on Trackman was last spring and I was 121-122 mph CHS and right around 178 mph BS with range balls. As soon as I'm on Trackman again I'll post my results. Hopefully, sooner than later, as I have a Tensei Pro Orange 70TX and an ATMOS Black 8TX waiting to go into my driver and 3 wood.

The possibility that you are an OSU fan make your data questionable......:)

I'm picking up a set when I'm in Scottsdale next week; I'm excited to give this a try. I don't think I'll have a radar for daily use though. This weekend, I confirmed by baseline driver SS on Trackman at 112. I will re-measure at 1.5 and 3 months (mid-March and May).

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I tried using my SSR to measure ball speed this past weekend. The pics below show how I did it and my best speed of the day. Getting the ball to go directly over the SSR was good practice starting the ball online and harder than I thought. I'm not going to go around claiming my BS is 189, but I did see a lot of 178-183's on solid hits with beat up Chromesofts. My last time on Trackman was last spring and I was 121-122 mph CHS and right around 178 mph BS with range balls. As soon as I'm on Trackman again I'll post my results. Hopefully, sooner than later, as I have a Tensei Pro Orange 70TX and an ATMOS Black 8TX waiting to go into my driver and 3 wood.

Damnit. I hate it when buckeyes come up with good ideas. This is ingenious!

Wow that's bringing the heat! I've had really poor results trying to use my SSR to measure ball speed--maybe I'll give it another shot. I will say that my SSR (when I can actually get a ball speed reading) measures ~10 mph faster than my SkyTrak.

I initially hurt my wrist doing these SS drills and went to just blank shaft swings and green SS swings. I might give it another go. Anyone experience any injuries doing the SS drills?

I have a GC2 at home. I'm going to put the SSR in the same position and compare. I sent my driver to will peoples for some hot melt but once I get it back I'll report my ball speed comparison. I will guarantee now you will not see 189 from me! Haha

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9* Tensei 1K White 70TX

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x; Diamana OG Whiteboard 73x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400 or SM10 60.04T

Putter: Toulon Garage San Diego/Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

so what would be the yardage at 189 BS? Do you do SSG? If so, for how long? Would you share your progress with us?

so what would be the yardage at 189 BS? Do you do SSG? If so, for how long? Would you share your progress with us?

I'm not sure what the yardage would be since I don't know what launch angle and spin rates I was getting with that ball speed (dependent on its accuracy, of course).

I posted a couple pages back that I've just started using SSG WITH a SSR on Jan. 1 this year. I used it off and on a few weeks at a time last year without a SSR. This year I'm going to try and stay with it since it is something golf related I get to do often without taking time away from my newborn daughter. I'll keep my progress updated here.

Wow that's bringing the heat! I've had really poor results trying to use my SSR to measure ball speed--maybe I'll give it another shot. I will say that my SSR (when I can actually get a ball speed reading) measures ~10 mph faster than my SkyTrak.

I initially hurt my wrist doing these SS drills and went to just blank shaft swings and green SS swings. I might give it another go. Anyone experience any injuries doing the SS drills?

I wouldn't be too sure that SkyTrak was more accurate. I had a lot of issues with ST accuracy with driver. It was consistently more than 10mph low. Took a while to convince SkyTrak to RMA. I was carrying my 3 wood 265, but driver couldn't get over 250 and they didn't see that as an issue.

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

I wouldn't be too sure that SkyTrak was more accurate. I had a lot of issues with ST accuracy with driver. It was consistently more than 10mph low.

Interesting. My SkyTrak seems to lineup well with the GC2 ball speeds I see at PGA SS. My SSR seems to be about 10MPH higher than both with ball speed and about 8-10 MPH higher than trackman in swng speed.

I wouldn't be too sure that SkyTrak was more accurate. I had a lot of issues with ST accuracy with driver. It was consistently more than 10mph low.

Interesting. My SkyTrak seems to lineup well with the GC2 ball speeds I see at PGA SS. My SSR seems to be about 10MPH higher than both with ball speed and about 8-10 MPH higher than trackman in swng speed.

My GC2 and Trakman average ball speeds on good hits are over 180. SkyTrak never read anything higher than 163. Except for 1 single time it read 173.

Snell MTB-X

My GC2 and Trakman average ball speeds on good hits are over 180. SkyTrak never read anything higher than 163. Except for 1 single time it read 173.

Wow, that's damning... I'm no where near those ball speeds but can get over 160. Now I'm questioning everything I thought I knew about SkyTrak...

The other day I drove 275 yds with 104 SS on SSR. Does it sound right?

The other day I drove 275 yds with 104 SS on SSR. Does it sound right?

This was in real life or on some sorta sim? From I've seen, a 104 SSR swing on the golf setting is more like 94 MPH on Trackman. You'd need some seriously good launch conditions to hit one 275 yards.

This was in real life or on some sorta sim? From I've seen, a 104 SSR swing on the golf setting is more like 94 MPH on Trackman. You'd need some seriously good launch conditions to hit one 275 yards.

Surely if he hit a ball 275 yards and the SSR was 104 then it would be about right, or even a little low in terms of reading clubhead speed?

I've got a SSR and it seems to be ok, some weird ones now and again, but in the main i tend to get roughly around the readings i expect, i guess it's down to the unit and where it's placed more, i doubt these things are calibrated to any real standard, but good as a marker if you keep it in the same place and not move it around.

It was on course. Snell MTB, mid-high trajectory off my Mizuno JPX 900 10.5. No Wind, 80 degree. I don't think 94 mph SS would generate 275. My thinking was that I needed faster SS to generate 275 yarder.

275 is possible with 104 SS, with rollout. Assuming you hit it on the button and got around 1.50 smash factor, you'd be at around 156 mph ball speed, and if you launch it at 12+ degrees with spin in the 2000-2500 range, you can get to 275 with rollout. 275 is on the top end of what you can get without other variables like altitude, hard fairway, and/or downhill with that swing speed.

https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

It was on course. Snell MTB, mid-high trajectory off my Mizuno JPX 900 10.5. No Wind, 80 degree. I don't think 94 mph SS would generate 275. My thinking was that I needed faster SS to generate 275 yarder.

275 is possible with 104 SS, with rollout. Assuming you hit it on the button and got around 1.50 smash factor, you'd be at around 156 mph ball speed, and if you launch it at 12+ degrees with spin in the 2000-2500 range, you can get to 275 with rollout. 275 is on the top end of what you can get without other variables like altitude, hard fairway, and/or downhill with that swing speed.

https://flightscope....tory-optimizer/

It's interesting because I'm pretty consistently in 113-116 range on the SSR but on my SkyTrak I'm topping out at around 160 MPH of ball speed on absolutely pure strikes. So if I had an average strike with a 1.42 smash, I'd be in the low 160s at all times. I'm really starting to second guess my ball speed numbers on the skytrak...

It's interesting because I'm pretty consistently in 113-116 range on the SSR but on my SkyTrak I'm topping out at around 160 MPH of ball speed on absolutely pure strikes. So if I had an average strike with a 1.42 smash, I'd be in the low 160s at all times. I'm really starting to second guess my ball speed numbers on the skytrak...

SSR is 8-10 MPH fast. I'm around 120-125 with driver on SSR and have balls speeds around 160 on a buddy's Skytrak.

SSR is 8-10 MPH fast. I'm around 120-125 with driver on SSR and have balls speeds around 160 on a buddy's Skytrak.

I'm 125 on SSR. 123 with trackman. 180+ ball speed with trackman and GC2. 163 ball speed with SkyTrak. SkyTrack is wrong.

Snell MTB-X

I'm 125 on SSR. 123 with trackman. 180+ ball speed with trackman and GC2. 163 ball speed with SkyTrak. SkyTrack is wrong.

I know they have had some issues with high ball speeds. I wonder if they've addressed that yet?

From what I've read in the past, some have said the SSR is 3-4mph faster than what Trackman reads and this is due to the SSR reading the nearest point (ie. the toe) vs Trackman reading the center of the club face. I've never done both side by side to confirm, yet.

Some have also said setup is critical but I get identical performance no matter where I put the SSR down. I can't believe you can get super reliable tech like this for $100.

On GC2, my ball speeds the last time I check about a week ago were 160-163mph. My standing blue ss avg on SSR is 115mph. I'll have to check my actual driver when I get it back.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9* Tensei 1K White 70TX

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x; Diamana OG Whiteboard 73x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400 or SM10 60.04T

Putter: Toulon Garage San Diego/Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

If people can, try using the SkyTrak with SSR. Would love to see how smash shakes out...

I don't think you can set them both up optimally

Snell MTB-X

Got done with my regular workout early today so I decided to move to the level 1 protocol which I had been putting off till Feb. 1. As of late, my heavy and med club speeds have been good/gaining, but my light club speeds have been stagnant. For those who don't know or have forgotten, level 1 introduces the kneeling swings and ups the reps to 5 ea. instead of 3. This is a much better "workout" and I wish I had started it sooner. After the kneeling sets, my standing sets started faster and I finally got my green club speed back towards PR levels.

Today's standing highs: green was 142, blue was 136 and red was 130. Step throughs I am a few mph slower than standing on each club. Kneeling swings I didn't pay much attention to the speeds.

Some swing thoughts I've noticed that help ME are higher hands at the top with a takeaway that has the club head slightly outside the hands. I've struggled in the past losing connection between my trail arm and my body and always tried keeping it close back and through. Long term this hasn't worked well for me and I find with higher hands at the top I am able to drop my elbow into my body and get the club fattening out some on the downswing, almost like i'm trying to hit the ball with the bottom of my elbow. Again, these seem to help me get faster speeds, but I'm sure others are different.