2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Best Ballstriking Performance

MasonT

Greg Norman when he won the TPC back in 1993 or 1994.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its either 06 Open tiger or 16 open Stenson .... i mean stenson with that look away 4 iron that stuck 4 feet from the pin.. thats just filthy good!

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Has to be Sergio at the Players in 2008. Won the tournament despite coming dead last in strokes gained putting. Not sure if anyone else has done that but that can't imagine it has happened in such a big tournament.

Wow-how did you find that? The tour did not launch strokes gained putting until 2011.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Has to be Sergio at the Players in 2008. Won the tournament despite coming dead last in strokes gained putting. Not sure if anyone else has done that but that can't imagine it has happened in such a big tournament.

Wow-how did you find that? The tour did not launch strokes gained putting until 2011.

Strokes gained putting has been measured since 2004, you can see them all on the PGA tour website.

I see that-I had looked up:

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/strokes-gained-putting-behind-newest-pga-tour-stat

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/academicdata/shotlink.html

It appears Broadie had the info from Shotlink but the tour did not adopt it until 2011. They must have gone in retroactively and put it into the stats.

For me it was actually a little known local pro. We got to the course an hour early, which was uncommon for us. We had been out all night at a local strip club even though we had a money match the next day. As I fell out of the car into the parking lot and proceeded to the bar for a little hair of the dog to keep me upright my friend with all of his courage and might made his way to the range. My buddy was one of those guys that no matter how he hit it on the range would bring his game to the course. As I watched my friend from the bar hit one left, one right dry heave and repeat I knew that we would be ok. On the first tee after three bloody marys I proceed to plant my tee in the ground alonf with my face. I popped up off the ground like a sloth with an inner ear infection and proceeded to blast a drive down the fairway. Not the the fairway I was aiming at but at least my partner would carry me through this hole. So my buddy after practicing for 45 minutes was ready for action. We were playing the back tees and we were ready to take on the world. My friend takes a massive practice swing just to scare these young guys we were playing with and with all of his might accidently hits the ball off the toe of his club straight into the ball washer and it comes back and hits him square in the nuts. That was the greatest ball striking I have ever seen.

This had so many twists and turns. Unexpected ending as well. 9/10. I would recommend

Tiger '07 US Open. 3rd round. Incredible ball striking. Putted like Ray Charles.

This is a great shout. Tiger hit the first 17 greens in regulation that day, which is no mean feat on any course, let alone at Oakmont! It's a shame that he putted abysmally and only shot 69; honestly should have been around a 63 and remembered as one of the great rounds of golf.

Not quite in the same league, but he also hit it easily well enough to run away with the '05 US Open at Pinehurst, but had a horror show on the greens that entire week. Led the field in GIR, 3rd to last in putting yet still finished 2nd.

June 18,1973

J Miller

BOOOOM️

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

IIRC, he hit 17 fairways and 18 GIR and his average birdie putt was 8 feet long.

I believe the 17 fwy and 18 GIR part. They didn't have ShotLink back then, so the birdie putt proximity might be tough to verify.

However, I can partially believe it because of the difficulty of putting on Oakmont's greens and Miller not being a good putter and that is probably what it would take for him to shoot that score.

RH

IIRC, he hit 17 fairways and 18 GIR and his average birdie putt was 8 feet long.

RH

Good trick, hitting 17 out of 14 :)

Are there no statistics Richie, that would quantify the "best ball striking rounds"? (Which I would limit to the 4th round of a major, because that's typically the toughest circumstances.)

We can add Nicholas Thompson this week on the Web.com tour. 67 in the second round was over 10 strokes lower than the days average. Based on the conditions I do not think it was just putting.

For me it was actually a little known local pro. We got to the course an hour early, which was uncommon for us. We had been out all night at a local strip club even though we had a money match the next day. As I fell out of the car into the parking lot and proceeded to the bar for a little hair of the dog to keep me upright my friend with all of his courage and might made his way to the range. My buddy was one of those guys that no matter how he hit it on the range would bring his game to the course. As I watched my friend from the bar hit one left, one right dry heave and repeat I knew that we would be ok. On the first tee after three bloody marys I proceed to plant my tee in the ground alonf with my face. I popped up off the ground like a sloth with an inner ear infection and proceeded to blast a drive down the fairway. Not the the fairway I was aiming at but at least my partner would carry me through this hole. So my buddy after practicing for 45 minutes was ready for action. We were playing the back tees and we were ready to take on the world. My friend takes a massive practice swing just to scare these young guys we were playing with and with all of his might accidently hits the ball off the toe of his club straight into the ball washer and it comes back and hits him square in the nuts. That was the greatest ball striking I have ever seen.

This had so many twists and turns. Unexpected ending as well. 9/10. I would recommend

This made me so proud to be a member here.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

One of the best stories I've ever read. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. 5 stars. You need to start writing books, my friend.

As in understand it, Hogan put on an insane ball control clinic in 36 holes of qualifying and 72 holes at Carnoustie

Yeah, I wish there was some good footage of it. Pretty much the only chance you get to see him play 18 holes is Shell's Wonderful World of Golf when he's ~55-60 years old. I mean it's not just like he hits every fairway and green, he's always in the right half of the fairway to approach the green and he's always working the ball in from the fat side of the green towards wherever the flag is. Basically perfect ball control. Like you could sit down with a map of the course, map out position A for every shot, and he goes out and shoots a smooth 68 without making a putt, never more than 5' from position A.

As in understand it, Hogan put on an insane ball control clinic in 36 holes of qualifying and 72 holes at Carnoustie

Yeah, I wish there was some good footage of it. Pretty much the only chance you get to see him play 18 holes is Shell's Wonderful World of Golf when he's ~55-60 years old. I mean it's not just like he hits every fairway and green, he's always in the right half of the fairway to approach the green and he's always working the ball in from the fat side of the green towards wherever the flag is. Basically perfect ball control. Like you could sit down with a map of the course, map out position A for every shot, and he goes out and shoots a smooth 68 without making a putt, never more than 5' from position A.

Referring to Carnoustie, not always. The legend of Hogan is much bigger than the reality imo. He was a great player-no doubt at all. But the advent of stat keeping on the PGA tour proved that the legend was always bigger than the stats showed.