3w distance off the fairway

baller4opca

AND.....this thread is back in full force

662814-simpsons_homer_eating_popcorn_large.jpg?w=280&h=210&fit=crop

Common its Friday...... 3:25 pm where I am.... Im trying to burn time till I get out of here... I have club fever as I have not hit a golf ball in almost 2 months.....(I normally play 1-2 a week) wife gave birth last week....now I have 2 runts........my golfing days are OVER......Im gotta get a golf fix somehow and if its a pissing contest on the interweb..... dont take it from me..... MUAHAHAHAAHAH!!

1pc4ke.jpg

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I get you. You're saying something with the landing radius of a 3 wood it is hard to call it a certain yardage club. It is personal and it always "depends". But you can still answer the question.

I'll tell you, if I hit a 3 wood an average of 235 on 7/10 swings and shanked the other 3 an average of 170. That would give me a total of a 215 yard average. If I have 215 yards to the landing zone, no other variables, no wind, no slope, no hazards etc. I am not hitting my 3 wood. I will hit my hybrid. Because on good shots, my hybrid will go about 220 yards. I highly doubt you would pull your 3 wood out of your bag too.

I think we can all agree and galvanize behind the fact that the 15 capper on page x does not carry his 3 wood 265 on average. He is not Rory or DJ.

Edit: If someone does not strike the ball with consistency, then this whole conversation is irrelevant.

I'll tell you, if I hit a 3 wood an average of 235 on 7/10 swings and shanked the other 3 an average of 170. That would give me a total of a 215 yard average. If I have 215 yards to the landing zone, no other variables, no wind, no slope, no hazards etc. I am not hitting my 3 wood. I will hit my hybrid. Because on good shots, my hybrid will go about 220 yards. I highly doubt you would pull your 3 wood out of your bag too.

Sure, but you are the exception. If I showed you a player who hit it 250 on the screws 2/10, 220 and crooked 6/10, and 180 and crooked with a contact mistake 2/10 (<- probably a pretty standard scatter pattern for a hard swinging 12 cap) I would contend that person can't legitimately claim between 235 as their average (the difference between their crooked and their best throwing out their worst).

I don't understand why you are taking "what is your average 3 wood" and "from what distance do you pull 3 wood" to be the same question. One is asking about the past (what have you averaged?) and one is asking about the future (what would you do in the future in situation X?).

A baseball player has a batting average. That has nothing to do with whether or not a manager may or may not pinch hit that player if the team needs a home run or bust.

I'm not saying your question is incorrect, but its not the same question. If a guy on page X whose a 15 cap told me he pulls his 3 wood from 250 I'd roll my eyes and laugh, but I wouldn't disbelieve him - he probably *does* pull 3 wood from 250. If he tells me he has averaged 250, I'm calling BS. its not the same question.

By morphing the question from "what is your average" to "when do you pull it" you are giving the player in question complete benefit of the doubt that they pull correct clubs. It is a very likely scenario that the player has no idea what their average is and is pulling the wrong club.

You are correct this is much easier to answer in better players. They know how far their clubs go and they (generally) have a more accurate idea of past performance. When we start to hear 6 caps blasting the ball 20 yards past tour pros *on average* (I have no doubt they can do it once in a while) I start to laugh. "When do you pull 3 wood" is a question that has as much to do with how plugged into reality the player is than their actual ability. What is the yardage when you divide your attempts by your total yardage is, well, the average. Which is what we were discussing. And the numbers in this thread are absolute nonsense.

"I typically pull 3 wood when I want a 260 carry" <- I believe this from that 12 cap (b/c he's delusional)

"I have averaged 260 carry over my last X rounds with 3 wood off the deck" <- I do not believe this from that 12 cap

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Love this thread, I am a 3 wood player and at times It has been the biggest club I carry. I have a '16 M1 and it is nuclear. Off the tee I hit it further than my driver often and today got one 300+. I am not a "big hitter" as they say but for whatever reason I absolutely pelt my 3 wood. Average 260+ off the tee with it and can comfortably hit 250 carry off the ground. Love 3 woods!

Sure, but you are the exception. If I showed you a player who hit it 250 on the screws 2/10, 220 and crooked 6/10, and 180 and crooked with a contact mistake 2/10 (<- probably a pretty standard scatter pattern for a hard swinging 12 cap) I would contend that person can't legitimately claim between 235 as their average (the difference between their crooked and their best throwing out their worst).

I don't understand why you are taking "what is your average 3 wood" and "from what distance do you pull 3 wood" to be the same question. One is asking about the past (what have you averaged?) and one is asking about the future (what would you do in the future in situation X?).

A baseball player has a batting average. That has nothing to do with whether or not a manager may or may not pinch hit that player if the team needs a home run or bust.

I'm not saying your question is incorrect, but its not the same question. If a guy on page X whose a 15 cap told me he pulls his 3 wood from 250 I'd roll my eyes and laugh, but I wouldn't disbelieve him - he probably *does* pull 3 wood from 250. If he tells me he has averaged 250, I'm calling BS. its not the same question.

By morphing the question from "what is your average" to "when do you pull it" you are giving the player in question complete benefit of the doubt that they pull correct clubs. It is a very likely scenario that the player has no idea what their average is and is pulling the wrong club.

You are correct this is much easier to answer in better players. They know how far their clubs go and they (generally) have a more accurate idea of past performance. When we start to hear 6 caps blasting the ball 20 yards past tour pros *on average* (I have no doubt they can do it once in a while) I start to laugh. "When do you pull 3 wood" is a question that has as much to do with how plugged into reality the player is than their actual ability. What is the yardage when you divide your attempts by your total yardage is, well, the average. Which is what we were discussing. And the numbers in this thread are absolute nonsense.

"I typically pull 3 wood when I want a 260 carry" <- I believe this from that 12 cap (b/c he's delusional)

"I have averaged 260 carry over my last X rounds with 3 wood off the deck" <- I do not believe this from that 12 cap

a) I may be the exception in the grand scheme of golfers, but I doubt I'm the exception on a site like GolfWRX. The issue with this is either way you cut it their average is 220-225 in that instance. All the shots combined is 226. If you throw out outliers then their average is 220. So that should be their 220 club. Throwing out outliers goes both ways. If I chunk 2/20 and skull 1/20 over the back, you can bet I'm not going to include either in my average. Not to mention in this example they hardly even hit the ball consistently enough to really be able to quantify their numbers and make a conclusion from it. The whole point of data is to find out which club to pull, you have to use past data to determine what you do in future situations.

b) I am talking about that because that is what people associate their average with. While they are obviously not the same, they are unfortunately intertwined. what you're not getting is that people don't legitimately track their data to know their averages. Their best guess is how far they hit the ball when they hit it well. In reference to point a... the whole point of keeping track of averages is to find out which club to pull. Functionally from a statistical and mathmatical standpoint they are obviously not the same. But practically and functionally they overlap considerably.

c) Again, if they do not track data, this is irrelevant. If they do not swing with a consistent face to path, then this is irrelevant. If they are shanking 40% of their shots, this is irrelevant.

See above at 4 cap who says he averages 260+ off the tee with his 3 wood. That is 10-20 yards further than tour average by the way...

a) I may be the exception in the grand scheme of golfers, but I doubt I'm the exception on a site like GolfWRX. The issue with this is either way you cut it their average is 220-225 in that instance. All the shots combined is 226. If you throw out outliers then their average is 220. So that should be their 220 club. Throwing out outliers goes both ways. If I chunk 2/20 and skull 1/20 over the back, you can bet I'm not going to include either in my average. Not to mention in this example they hardly even hit the ball consistently enough to really be able to quantify their numbers and make a conclusion from it. The whole point of data is to find out which club to pull, you have to use past data to determine what you do in future situations.

b) I am talking about that because that is what people associate their average with. While they are obviously not the same, they are unfortunately intertwined. what you're not getting is that people don't legitimately track their data to know their averages. Their best guess is how far they hit the ball when they hit it well. In reference to point a... the whole point of keeping track of averages is to find out which club to pull. Functionally from a statistical and mathmatical standpoint they are obviously not the same. But practically and functionally they overlap considerably.

c) Again, if they do not track data, this is irrelevant. If they do not swing with a consistent face to path, then this is irrelevant. If they are shanking 40% of their shots, this is irrelevant.

See above at 4 cap who says he averages 260+ off the tee with his 3 wood. That is 10-20 yards further than tour average by the way...

Handicap is a complete reflection of one club distance?

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

Nowhere in any of my posts did I say that. It can be an indicator, but is obviously not a direct correlation to distance.

If you go back and read the discussion it is predicated on people who do not have a realistic concept of how far they actually hit the ball. The vast majority of all golfers (98+%) cannot carry a 3 wood 260+ on average. Could he be one of them... of course. But he would need to have a consistent 115 mph SS with that 3 wood and he would need to find center 90+% of the time.

The average on the PGA Tour for 3 wood distance off the deck (carry and roll) is 243 yards.

I do not believe some of you *Average* 250,60 and 70.

Average means every shot is included. You shouldn't feel bad about an actual average of 230. Most golfers don't actually measure and just eyeball, and really good shots are seared into our brain's memories while so-so ones are quickly forgotten. If you actually average 230, you are probably in the top 5% of 3 wood hitters in the world.

I know a million people will reply to this and claim they actually do hit it that far, and I have no doubt they "can" - I very much doubt they do it on average. I also very much doubt a few of the posters in this thread who claim to be longer off the tee with their 3 woods than the average for PGA Tour driver carry, which is 274.

As one who has been up close to most of the pga tour, and walked off countless drives & 3wds, your stats are way out of date.

Have been on the PGA ShotLink, laser tracking system since has existed in 1997. Yardages jumped after 2000 w/ V1pro and averages have slowly risen since.

The raw PGA stats of entire tournament fields over the past decades have long been over 243yds carry.

PGA drives now avg 295ish on measured holes. Problem is many times pros are hitting 3w almost that long.

Even when conditions are wet and pros are laying up short of hazards, 3w carry lengths are still longer than 243yds. Typical is 255-260 carry for shorter hitters, 265 for avg hitters and 270+ longest group.

Pros rarely stretch 3w distances unless an eagle or easy bird is needed.

• Like 1
a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

Nowhere in any of my posts did I say that. It can be an indicator, but is obviously not a direct correlation to distance.

If you go back and read the discussion it is predicated on people who do not have a realistic concept of how far they actually hit the ball. The vast majority of all golfers (98+%) cannot carry a 3 wood 260+ on average. Could he be one of them... of course. But he would need to have a consistent 115 mph SS with that 3 wood and he would need to find center 90+% of the time.

I get that but I've played in a handful of charity tournaments this year and have seen folks outdrive me (not in person but based on long drive contest holes) by a good 20+ yards and one of those holes i hit 332 yards (based on shot tracking gps on the cart). Long hitters don't seem to be that rare. Once again this is purely based on my personal experience

Now folks that can hit long and have the short stuff in order, that's a real rarity

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

The average on the PGA Tour for 3 wood distance off the deck (carry and roll) is 243 yards.

Average means every shot is included. You shouldn't feel bad about an actual average of 230. Most golfers don't actually measure and just eyeball, and really good shots are seared into our brain's memories while so-so ones are quickly forgotten. If you actually average 230, you are probably in the top 5% of 3 wood hitters in the world.

I know a million people will reply to this and claim they actually do hit it that far, and I have no doubt they "can" - I very much doubt they do it on average. I also very much doubt a few of the posters in this thread who claim to be longer off the tee with their 3 woods than the average for PGA Tour driver carry, which is 274.

As one who has been up close to most of the pga tour, and walked off countless drives & 3wds, your stats are way out of date.

Have been on the PGA ShotLink, laser tracking system since has existed in 1997. Yardages jumped after 2000 w/ V1pro and averages have slowly risen since.

The raw PGA stats of entire tournament fields over the past decades have long been over 243yds carry.

PGA drives now avg 295ish on measured holes. Problem is many times pros are hitting 3w almost that long.

Even when conditions are wet and pros are laying up short of hazards, 3w carry lengths are still longer than 243yds. Typical is 255-260 carry for shorter hitters, 265 for avg hitters and 270+ longest group.

This is a perfect example of why 12 caps think they can carry a 3 wood 260 yards off the deck. You've seen a ton of pros hit some awesome three woods. Our brain remembers extremes. You came away from that thinking "oh my god, those guys are absolutely incredible. Some of those must have been 280, 290 yards. They are so good with a 3 wood." and your brain doesn't think "Yeah, some of those were awesome, but some of them hit trees, and some of those guys don't hit it that far, so eh, it was OK, but Day and Johnson are OK I guess". Over time, the first memory becomes "pros are insanely long with 3 woods" which then becomes "they average way more tahn the computers think they do".

They only averaged 238 in 2011. By 2016 it had crept into the low 240s.

A player's memory works the same way. They hit two awesome bombs and maybe a low burner into the trees. They remember the bombs (Because they are extreme) and dismiss the burner into the trees as an anomoly. After a year or so of playing, they have very vivid memories of either bombing their 3 wood or being terrible at it (which is why you see so may "Should I ditch my 3 wood I can't hit it" threads - we remember in extremes). Just like almost everyone who thinks they "can't hit" their 3 wood is exaggerating, so are the people who forget the middle and think they average bombing it. Both groups generally hit the ball closer to the mean than they think they do. Same with driver and putter - the "all or nothing" clubs, are often misremember by our brains as being either awesome or terrible, when the vast majority are average to their skill level.

I had to say it like ten times before, so please don''t make me say it ten more times. I do believe there are amateur golfers in the world who can do it. I just don't believe this high a percentage or respondants in this thread can do it. They'd be in the top 3% of three wood players in the world. So, yes, some guy at your scramble might have hit a ball really hard. I believe that. I don't believe they frequent this thread in these numbers. Averaging 255 *Carry* off the deck with a 3 wood is insanely good. Like 2013 Justin Rose good.

EDIT:

A few things from earlier in the thread.

-I am not saying amateurs can't do this off a tee. Translating speed into carry off a tee is much easier than off the deck. I beleive a ton of WRXers could keep up with tour pros off the tee.

-I am not saying amateurs can't do this in total distance. Pounding a line drive 3 wood 260 can be done with high clubhead speed. I believe a ton of WRXers could keep up with tour pros if every green had no bunkers or water and you could roll it up there.

-It requires an extremely high degree of skill to achieve consistent optimal launch with a 3 wood given ball on the deck in a real-round lie.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

This is a perfect example of why 12 caps think they can carry a 3 wood 260 yards off the deck. You've seen a ton of pros hit some awesome three woods. Our brain remembers extremes. You came away from that thinking "oh my god, those guys are absolutely incredible. Some of those must have been 280, 290 yards. They are so good with a 3 wood." and your brain doesn't think "Yeah, some of those were awesome, but some of them hit trees, and some of those guys don't hit it that far, so eh, it was OK, but Day and Johnson are OK I guess". Over time, the first memory becomes "pros are insanely long with 3 woods" which then becomes "they average way more tahn the computers think they do".

A player's memory works the same way. They hit two awesome bombs and maybe a low burner into the trees. They remember the bombs (Because they are extreme) and dismiss the burner into the trees as an anomoly. After a year or so of playing, they have very vivid memories of either bombing their 3 wood or being terrible at it (which is why you see so may "Should I ditch my 3 wood I can't hit it" threads - we remember in extremes). Just like almost everyone who thinks they "can't hit" their 3 wood is exaggerating, so are the people who forget the middle and think they average bombing it. Both groups generally hit the ball closer to the mean than they think they do. Same with driver and putter - the "all or nothing" clubs, are often misremember by our brains as being either awesome or terrible, when the vast majority are average to their skill level.

I had to say it like ten times before, so please don''t make me say it ten more times. I do believe there are amateur golfers in the world who can do it. I just don't believe this high a percentage or respondants in this thread can do it. They'd be in the top 3% of three wood players in the world. So, yes, some guy at your scramble might have hit a ball really hard. I believe that. I don't believe they frequent this thread in these numbers. Averaging 255 *Carry* off the deck with a 3 wood is insanely good. Like 2013 Justin Rose good.

EDIT:

-I am not saying amateurs can't do this off a tee. Translating speed into carry off a tee is much easier than off the deck. I beleive a ton of WRXers could keep up with tour pros off the tee.

-I am not saying amateurs can't do this in total distance. Pounding a line drive 3 wood 260 can be done with high clubhead speed. I believe a ton of WRXers could keep up with tour pros if every green had no bunkers or water and you could roll it up there.

-It requires an extremely high degree of skill to achieve consistent optimal launch with a 3 wood given ball on the deck in a real-round lie.

Sorry your figures are off. Trackman is always only 2holes per round. 1 is a driving hole and other is a par3.

The only actual measuring of pro shot distance is the PGA ShotLink which uses many volunteers and the ShotLink Trailer. Typically there are 2 ShotLink positions, 1 fairway & 1 greenside. Occasionally for long par5 when pros layup or where an area short of green is hidden, is a 2nd fairway long ShotLink will be present.

After a golf ball is laser targeted to the dimple, the GPS lasered distances are linked to the "Palm Pilot" entered shot information from the Walking Scorer, who maintains the electronic scorecard. ShotLink data is how distances for tee shots and distance to the hole (including putts) are posted on tv, electronic information/ scoreboards.

I have been following tour inside the ropes since early 1990s. I remember plenty of extremely bad shots in the 50+k shots. Have seen and been on tv lasering shots, separating the crowds as a pro will take 10 or worse. Likewise, have seen unheralded, anonymous darts from cross country.

What makes them pros is they have amazing recovery and short game skills. After the bad hole, most will get more motivated and "bounce back" with a birdie or more.

What also separates most of the PGA and LPGA players is the guys still put better esp. when in zone. Guys have a tighter distance control and make more inside 6ft.

This is a more accurate actual distance chart. Fyi, distance also includes club pros, amateurs and sponser exemptions in all tournaments from 2016.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2017/02/02/how-far-pga-tour-players-hit-ball-average-distance-102775/amp/

Your Rose example is a bit flawed. Rose himself will say he is one of the shortest hitters on tour, bottom 20%. His known historical strength is accurate mid-short irons and good putting not tour long, accurate 3w. Fyi, he is currently ranked 104th.

Here are the current 2017 PGA ShotLink stats for approached including the RBC Canadian Open tournament.

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/categories.RAPP_INQ.html

Notice the PGA includes 275+yds and 250-275yd approach categories. Pros never take driver off the deck unless its the final holes in the last round. Proa are hitting 3w from 275+yds away.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

I'll only join in to add that Arccos says my 3W average is 170 yards. I consider it to be good for 230-245 yards, so that just shows how inconsistent I am with it. (Only got a handful of rounds under my belt using Arccos)

One comment from previous posters claiming trackman yardage. Unless we're counting shots actually hit on the course then I'm not interested. Hitting balls on a range is nothing like the pressure of one chance one shot out on the course.

The first link has an average of 230-310 yards for 3 woods... that is hardly anything I would place actual stock in. How can you have an average with an 80 yard range? It also most likely includes roll and not carry only which is what we are talking about.

The second link is not relevant either. It just shows proximity to hole from certain yardages out, it doesn't even mention the club that they used t do it. Also, nobody is saying they can't hit it that far. What they are saying is that the average distance they hit is not as far as you think it is. We all know Rory can carry the ball 285 with a 3 wood if he wants. He just probably averages closer to 265. And he is in the upper echelon of that category with a consistent 120+ MPH SS.

A guy like Dufner, who is right in the middle of the tour driving distance statistics (103/200) drives the ball an average of 290 yards. That is with driver and including roll. His driver probably carries 270 on average and rolls out another 20 yards. If you look at that chart it is almost bang on with that number.

If you account for the loss of distance with a 3 wood that would put that number around 245-250 depending on the loft of his 3 wood. Which may be a tad higher than the chart, but it is only a couple of yards off.

You can keep believing whatever you want, but I am providing actual stats here. What guys like pine are saying (correct me if I'm wrong) is that you have to take into account sub-optimal shots into your averages. It may be 1 driving hole and 1 par 3, but over the course of the season that can add up to well over 100 shots. That would be enough to draw a conclusion from.

EDIT:

Sorry your figures are off. Trackman is always only 2holes per round. 1 is a driving hole and other is a par3.

The only actual measuring of pro shot distance is the PGA ShotLink which uses many volunteers and the ShotLink Trailer. Typically there are 2 ShotLink positions, 1 fairway & 1 greenside. Occasionally for long par5 when pros layup or where an area short of green is hidden, is a 2nd fairway long ShotLink will be present.

After a golf ball is laser targeted to the dimple, the GPS lasered distances are linked to the "Palm Pilot" entered shot information from the Walking Scorer, who maintains the electronic scorecard. ShotLink data is how distances for tee shots and distance to the hole (including putts) are posted on tv, electronic information/ scoreboards.

I have been following tour inside the ropes since early 1990s. I remember plenty of extremely bad shots in the 50+k shots. Have seen and been on tv lasering shots, separating the crowds as a pro will take 10 or worse. Likewise, have seen unheralded, anonymous darts from cross country.

What makes them pros is they have amazing recovery and short game skills. After the bad hole, most will get more motivated and "bounce back" with a birdie or more.

What also separates most of the PGA and LPGA players is the guys still put better esp. when in zone. Guys have a tighter distance control and make more inside 6ft.

This is a more accurate actual distance chart. Fyi, distance also includes club pros, amateurs and sponser exemptions in all tournaments from 2016.

https://thegolfnewsn...nce-102775/amp/

Your Rose example is a bit flawed. Rose himself will say he is one of the shortest hitters on tour, bottom 20%. His known historical strength is accurate mid-short irons and good putting not tour long, accurate 3w. Fyi, he is currently ranked 104th.

Here are the current 2017 PGA ShotLink stats for approached including the RBC Canadian Open tournament.

http://www.pgatour.c...s.RAPP_INQ.html

Notice the PGA includes 275+yds and 250-275yd approach categories. Pros never take driver off the deck unless its the final holes in the last round. Proa are hitting 3w from 275+yds away.

All of this is true. None of this is relevant. Some pros are longer than other pros. By taking into account both short pros and long pros, we arrive at something called an "Average". The "average" is a statistical blend of the long pros and the short pros. The short pros pull down the average while the long ones pull it up. "230-310" isn't an average.

Nobody is arguing "pros" arn't long. Some are extremely, unbelievably long, just like some amateurs hit some unbelievably long shots. None of this has anything to with computing average (mean).

If we take your theory (that we should use approach shot range) the average would be 248.33.

I'm not sure they are still using palm pilots, but the PGA Tour website gives a detailed description of how they use shotlink to compute statistics, and it seems perfectly reasonable.

Some pros sometimes hitting the ball from 275 yards away has literally nothing to do with average.

What makes them pros is they have amazing recovery and short game skills.

Every pro is a pro for a different reason. Read Every Shot Counts and actually read this thread, we've discussed this. There is no generic "pro" that is better than an elite am for a reason. Most (most is not a synonym for all) pros are pros because of their iron game and their advantage in approach shot proximity. The second group are pros because of their driving distance. The smallest number distinguish themselves by being elite putters. Some do, most don't. There isn't some amorphous "pro" out there who embodies the qualities of all the typical pros. They are all different.

I have no doubt there are world class amateur ball strikers somewhere out there who can keep up with the pros. What I doubt is that 9 out of the first 14 responders in this thread are world-class ball strikers.

Your post basically boils down to "trust me, I've been inside the ropes, they hit it further than that" which is confirmation bias. I can either believe the PGA Tour website and publications, or a guy on a forum whose kept zero data. If you've kept data, please post it.

I mean, what's one par 5 and one par 3 every tournament for fifteen years worth when compared to your zero data and perfect memory? *hard eye roll*

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

3w. off the deck. range balls. ProTracer. 250+carry. Not flushed, but solid enough.

#Titleist917F2 #D+80Tx

https://www.facebook.com/travis.koch.75/videos/10156446932862802/

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* Graphite Design AD HD 6x Tipped 1"
Titleist TSR2+ 3w (C1) 12.25*  Tensei 1K Black 75x

Titleist TSi3 17* (C1) Hybrid Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour spec HB 8.8X 

Titleist U505 4i Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Titleist T100S 5i-PW Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Vokey SM9 48*F, 53*F, 58*S DG TI Onyx S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

3w. off the deck. range balls. ProTracer. 250+carry. Not flushed, but solid enough.

#Titleist917F2 #D+80Tx

https://www.facebook.com/travis.koch.75/videos/10156446932862802/

What do you average during play? If you are like most players, you'll see a significant degradation in performance when you move to the course. I wrote a very long post on it earlier in the thread, especially the effect on our brains when we know we can't get into trouble by hitting it too long (the biggest difference, psychologically, between range distance and course distance).

EDIT:

Your hitting off a range mat and putting that forth as your in-round average off real lies? I'm not trying to jump on you if that isn't what you are saying, just want to be clear.

SECOND EDIT:

Very powerful swing, by the way. Just not sure exactly what that clip has to do with this discussion.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I will pull 3w out with anything over 235yards. Under 235 I will hit 3hybrid or 2iron depending on which of those I have in the bag. I usually see 240+carry and roll out over 265-270 with occasions rolling out past 290 off the deck. Off the tee I've seen 270+carry. These are range balls in the video which as you know you will see better performance in general from a premium ball (I play ProV1's). I'm aware I have higher than average swing speed and am longer than MOST amateurs. For reference, the same session I was swinging 3w, I also recorded a driver carrying 292 which would usually roll to the 315 range or more. I generally have no problem hitting 3w from 250. My swing doesn't change much from range to course, if anything, it improves going to the course for me because there's more focus and I'm not just beating balls.

Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

I will pull 3w out with anything over 235yards. Under 235 I will hit 3hybrid or 2iron depending on which of those I have in the bag. I usually see 240+carry and roll out over 265-270 with occasions rolling out past 290 off the deck. Off the tee I've seen 270+carry. These are range balls in the video which as you know you will see better performance in general from a premium ball (I play ProV1's). I'm aware I have higher than average swing speed and am longer than MOST amateurs. For reference, the same session I was swinging 3w, I also recorded a driver carrying 292 which would usually roll to the 315 range or more. I generally have no problem hitting 3w from 250. My swing doesn't change much from range to course, if anything, it improves going to the course for me because there's more focus and I'm not just beating balls.

Yes but are you counting the times that you hit a ball, it flies into a bird that happens to be flying over the course, and then drops like 15 yards in front of you? That counts as 15yds and MUST be counted into your average. Killing a bird is something that you have to factor in that's what people don't understand.

What about the times that you swing the club, and the shaft breaks during your backswing and the head flies off the club. That counts as zero buddy. Zero! Factor that into your average.

Also you have to factor in your practice swings. If you take 5 practice swings, and then hit the ball 280. The 5 practice swings count as zero each since technically that's how far you hit a ball on those swings. So 280/6 = 46yds. You only AVERAGE 46yds

Also when you swing a club in front of a mirror in your house those also count as zero and must be factored into your AVERAGE

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Off the tee I've seen 270+carry. These are range balls in the video which as you know you will see better performance in general from a premium ball (I play ProV1's). I'm aware I have higher than average swing speed and am longer than MOST amateurs. For reference, the same session I was swinging 3w, I also recorded a driver carrying 292 which would usually roll to the 315 range or more. I generally have no problem hitting 3w from 250. My swing doesn't change much from range to course, if anything, it improves going to the course for me because there's more focus and I'm not just beating balls.

I'm not sure if I buy that you improve your ball striking from the range to course (few do, but its possible), but if your average is, in fact, these numbers, then you are an incredible ball striker. Congrats. In this post, though, you are saying the word "can" a whole lot. I can also hit a 3 wood 277 (and have done it in the last month) but it is nowhere close to my average. I usually don't have far enough into the green to get my average high

enough to be over 250. In fact, there is only one hole at my local (maybe two, if I don't catch it off the tee) where I need a 260 yard shot. Its very difficult to have an average in-play three wood that long.

For the last time, I'm not arguing that people can't do it. I'm arguing they don't, on average. However, if you do - and that range session certainly shows you have the potential - congrats and good work! Another earlier in the thread (a +2) also posted a similar video. I believe him. Three people got really mad and said they would post videos then - surprise - disappeared.

I'm not saying everyone in this thread is full of it, just some (And probably most).

Yes but are you counting the times that you hit a ball, it flies into a bird that happens to be flying over the course, and then drops like 15 yards in front of you? That counts as 15yds and MUST be counted into your average. Killing a bird is something that you have to factor in that's what people don't understand.

What about the times that you swing the club, and the shaft breaks during your backswing and the head flies off the club. That counts as zero buddy. Zero! Factor that into your average.

Also you have to factor in your practice swings. If you take 5 practice swings, and then hit the ball 280. The 5 practice swings count as zero each since technically that's how far you hit a ball on those swings. So 280/6 = 46yds. You only AVERAGE 46yds

Also when you swing a club in front of a mirror in your house those also count as zero and must be factored into your AVERAGE

Nice. Yep, around 28 out of 41 posters in a random internet thread average better than a tour pro off the deck with a wood and I'm the one being ridiculous.

This thread was dead for a reason (and all these points were already made). There are amateurs who can hit it a long way. There are very few who both have the skill and play long enough courses to do it on average in actual play. "Very few" is not a synonym for "all", but I don't believe roughly 65% of the respondents in this thread are better that touring professionals with a wood off the deck. Obviously some do. That doesn't mean the poster above isn't, it means most of the people in this thread arn't. I don't know which is which, obviously, but I know that most are full of it.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I can honestly say i don't remember hitting less than 255 with a 3 wood off the deck in the last 2 years on the course. Also to add to this is that i rarely hit the 3 wood as the second shot even on par5s

As for practice swings being counted, i'm confused. How do those factor into your average? Is this how things are done on the tour?

Can't tell if this is a troll post if it is then carry on

I can honestly say i don't remember hitting less than 255 with a 3 wood off the deck in the last 2 years on the course. Also to add to this is that i rarely hit the 3 wood as the second shot even on par5s

As for practice swings being counted, i'm confused. How do those factor into your average? Is this how things are done on the tour?

Its a troll post. He should have picked the best joke out of the three and posted that rather than shotgunning it, but it wasn't bad.

Please remember that I am talking about carry only. I fully believe a ton of people on here can *hit* a 3 wood that far. I don''t believe they can carry it that far. This got constantly confused earlier in the thread. 255 total distance is completely different than 255 carry. I have zero doubt that some really high swing speed ams can line drive 3 woods really far, especially in the south/Texas when its dry. My suspicion comes from the ability to repeatably achieve optimal launch conditions at such high speeds without the ball up on a tee.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

The majority of the courses I play do not require a 3w off the deck unless I hit something off the tee so bad that I need to get back in position. That being said, I have the ability to hit it far, even if the necessity isn't always there. I may not carry my 3w 250+ every time because the shot may not call for it.

Artisan SS 0217 Putter

The majority of the courses I play do not require a 3w off the deck unless I hit something off the tee so bad that I need to get back in position. That being said, I have the ability to hit it far, even if the necessity isn't always there. I may not carry my 3w 250+ every time because the shot may not call for it.

Exactly. This is why its hard to revive a thread on page 30, and why I put the edit six or seven posts ago saying I have no doubt a lot of people can do it, but most do not have that kind of average from in-round shots. I've taken great pains to repeatedly say that I think many people can do it, but not many people actually have.

Average is a statistic. It is the average distance you carry your 3 wood in rounds that you have played.

You have a fantastic swing. I seriously doubt if I computed your actual average in rounds you've played it would break 240. But it might, who knows.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Don't let reality ruin your fun. 270 yard 3 woods for everyone, these range finder policemen be damned!

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

Its a troll post. He should have picked the best joke out of the three and posted that rather than shotgunning it, but it wasn't bad.

Please remember that I am talking about carry only. I fully believe a ton of people on here can *hit* a 3 wood that far. I don''t believe they can carry it that far. This got constantly confused earlier in the thread. 255 total distance is completely different than 255 carry. I have zero doubt that some really high swing speed ams can line drive 3 woods really far, especially in the south/Texas when its dry. My suspicion comes from the ability to repeatably achieve optimal launch conditions at such high speeds without the ball up on a tee.

My distance is mostly carry. I hit everything high including long irons off the grass.

Like i said before, i rarely hit the 3 wood from the grass. I think i might have hit it less than half dozen times last year two of those coming from 600+ yard par5 with the last half of the hole sloping up quite a bit (and no i didn't get it there in two)

Off the tee I've seen 270+carry. These are range balls in the video which as you know you will see better performance in general from a premium ball (I play ProV1's). I'm aware I have higher than average swing speed and am longer than MOST amateurs. For reference, the same session I was swinging 3w, I also recorded a driver carrying 292 which would usually roll to the 315 range or more. I generally have no problem hitting 3w from 250. My swing doesn't change much from range to course, if anything, it improves going to the course for me because there's more focus and I'm not just beating balls.

I'm not sure if I buy that you improve your ball striking from the range to course (few do, but its possible), but if your average is, in fact, these numbers, then you are an incredible ball striker. Congrats. In this post, though, you are saying the word "can" a whole lot. I can also hit a 3 wood 277 (and have done it in the last month) but it is nowhere close to my average. I usually don't have far enough into the green to get my average high

enough to be over 250. In fact, there is only one hole at my local (maybe two, if I don't catch it off the tee) where I need a 260 yard shot. Its very difficult to have an average in-play three wood that long.

For the last time, I'm not arguing that people can't do it. I'm arguing they don't, on average. However, if you do - and that range session certainly shows you have the potential - congrats and good work! Another earlier in the thread (a +2) also posted a similar video. I believe him. Three people got really mad and said they would post videos then - surprise - disappeared.

I'm not saying everyone in this thread is full of it, just some (And probably most).

Nice. Yep, around 28 out of 41 posters in a random internet thread average better than a tour pro off the deck with a wood and I'm the one being ridiculous.

This thread was dead for a reason (and all these points were already made). There are amateurs who can hit it a long way. There are very few who both have the skill and play long enough courses to do it on average in actual play. "Very few" is not a synonym for "all", but I don't believe roughly 65% of the respondents in this thread are better that touring professionals with a wood off the deck. Obviously some do. That doesn't mean the poster above isn't, it means most of the people in this thread arn't. I don't know which is which, obviously, but I know that most are full of it.

It's not a random thread. It's a thread that we know will appeal to guys who hit it far.

If you start a thread on a general car forum titled "how fast does your car do the quarter mile" my guess is most of the respondents will have fast cars. Some guy who owns a buick encore isn't going to post that he can do it in 18 seconds.

I have no doubt you are right about averages being exaggerated for the reasons you suggest. But it's 20+ pages of this. And I would imagine the people posting in this thread are long hitters, because this thread is an opportunity for long hitters to boast a bit

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique