Does your putter have to be "pretty"

bestrnd35

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played with a guy at a public course recently who had a really nice looking Bullseye putter. None of this modern "CAMERON" stuff either. An old one but by some miracle not all dinged up like most of those soft brass ones are. Sure wish I could putt with a Bullseye, I used to have a near-mint condition antique one and they have the nicest proportions of any putter style I know of. Just doesn't work well for me.

I played with a guy at a public course recently who had a really nice looking Bullseye putter. None of this modern "CAMERON" stuff either. An old one but by some miracle not all dinged up like most of those soft brass ones are. Sure wish I could putt with a Bullseye, I used to have a near-mint condition antique one and they have the nicest proportions of any putter style I know of. Just doesn't work well for me.

I'm told it is unwise to bet against a guy playing one of these..

Truth be told, I'd say the Bullseye wasn't working well for this guy either. But it was cool to see him try.

Absolutely. Doesn't have to be a Scotty or a Betti...can be any kind but has to be in great condition. Can't stand it when people don't take care of their flatstick.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 9°

TaylorMade Stealth 15°

Ping G430 19°, 22°

Srixon ZX7 Mk II 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Tour Rack 50° (Mid), 54° (Mid), 58° (Low)

Scotty Cameron T10 Select Newport 2

Truth be told, I'd say the Bullseye wasn't working well for this guy either. But it was cool to see him try.

Yeah, I think that wives tale has run it's course. It was probably true 20 years ago. Folks using old Bullseye putters today are doing so for a plethora of reasons, but truly better putting is probably not one of them. There is just too much technology out there today.

I don't know what putter strikes the most fear in a competitor these days. What do you think? Maybe a 5 year old Ping in very nice condition? Only because that's what I use:) LOL.

I prefer used clubs and used putters, but yeah, I discovered a new ding as I was lining up for a putt yesterday and it threw me off. The used clubs fit my OCD because if they were new I'd be obsessed in keeping them clean...

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

I think a putter can be pretty and not worth a damn, and a putter can be awesome, and ugly as hell. That said I want one that's beautiful and awesome at the same time.

#pingtyne

Love the way it looks. And putt better with it than anything else I ever have.

I am a terrible putter, and I practice it more than anything. But I have more confidence in this one than most anything.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

This is my putter. It's hideous. I hate it. I can't putt better with anything else.

[font=times new roman,times,serif]Callaway [b]XR 16[/b] 8 deg - Kuro Kage 50g[/font]
Cobra [b]F6[/b] 3/4 Wood 13.5 deg - [color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1]Matrix Red Tie 65Q4 67g[/size][/font][/color]
[font=times new roman, times, serif]TaylorMade [b]SLDR[/b] 5 Wood 17.5 Deg - Fujikura Speeder 77[/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif]Srixon [b]Z 355[/b] 4-PW, Nippon N.S.PRO 950 GH DST[/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif]Callaway [b]Mack Daddy[/b] 50/12s - Dynamic Gold Wedge
Wilson Staff [b]FG Tour Traction Control[/b] 54 and 60 degree - Dynamic Gold Wedge
Cleveland[b] Huntington Beach Collection [/b]No.4[/font]

see - i believe in a clean putter, free of serious nicks on the topline, neck, cavity, bumpers, etc...however, 'earned' rust, brush marks on the sole and marks around the middle of the clubface due to countless balls being holed -- completely ok to me.

I refinished my TEi3 as of late and it's already getting some rust -- doesn't bother me one iota.

a 'pretty putter' to me is one of those Circle t's that are deserving more to be hung on a wall than putted with: see - gallery putters with tour blue or special finishes.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Have had used putters for most of my time golfing. I like a overall used look. Then I went and purchased a new Betti. I had it in play for 3 rounds then noticed during the third round with it a scratch on the top line. Has been on the bench ever since. Something about perfection, except for that one spot.

910 D2 9.5*/910 FD 15*/915 18*
712 4I
MP 57 5I-6I
MP 59 7I-8I
MP 15 9I
Vokey 46F/52F/56M/60M
AOP NP 2 (BOS 2x oil can)
Chrome soft

Nope, and my last "gamer" was nothing to write home about though to me it was the most beautiful putter that I own, lol

However, now it's retired for the obvious reason, haha

Have a great week Gents?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

The thing I miss most about metal spikes? Really nasty scratches all over the putter from slamming it into the bottom of my shoe after missing a putt. Soft spikes just don't mark up a club the way real spikes could:)

LMAO, as Pete used to do that after a missed putt?

I never ever saw him throw a club, or even really slam it on the ground, but if he missed a putt that he thought that he should've made, he'd slam that putter off of his spikes, lmao.

I asked him one time, "what if you gouge the face(he did, myriad times)," and he'd just say "I deserve it," lmao

He'd tell ya that I was the one facked up mentally but seriously, how do ya argue with that type of reasoning???

Brand new flackstick, missed putt, BOOM?

HaHa, I miss him!!

Thanks a lot for bringin back the memories!!

Have a great week Bro?

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Looks, somewhat make a difference, yes. That being said, the looks of what inspire confidence are the only ones that truly make any difference. Personally, I putt best with either a mallet, or a single bend blade putter, but the mallet takes the cake really. Now, the issue with that, is that I hate the way a mallet looks when I am looking down at it, especially because I have a bit of forward shaft lean, and it raises the whole back end of it up. Whatever they do for you mentally is half the battle, to me, and oddly enough, the dings and scratches can all be a part of that IMO. I won't buy a used putter that has been well used, but if I put the ding or whatever in it, it doesn't bother me nearly as much for some reason.

If you've had it forever, it's beat up, worn down, etc. but you've made a million putts with it, then that inspires your confidence too. It's the same with any club, really. My last fairway wood was beat to crap, and I honestly prefer a wedge that's well used too.

Nope, and my last "gamer" was nothing to write home about though to me it was the most beautiful putter that I own, lol

Have a great week Gents

RP

If you should ever feel the need to re-locate that putter, just let me know. I know I'm your favorite around here! At the very least, I ramble nearly as much ;).

I'm speechless looking at that flat stick. My goodness.

I want my putters or the paint on my driver / fairway wood to be unmarked. I don't care about the rest, other than that they're functional.

I prefer a clean, classic looking putter. I'm sure my Ketsch has a higher MOI etc than my Newport 2, but I putt better with the Newport 2, partly, I'm sure, because I like the way it looks.

I understand the charm of old clubs bearing various battle marks and so forth. But I do not want to see any rust, nicks, dents or chips in the face or topline of a putter when I'm lining up a putt. Heck I don't even like alignment marks on the flange because they are too distracting.

Don't really care about the sole being a little scratched up. Can't see it in the playing position, it doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.

Pretty much the same way with other clubs. Obviously irons and wedges show wear on the face and a fairway wood or hybrid will not look pristine for long if you use it off the deck. So I am used to clubs that aren't shiny-new. But I don't want to see any sky marks on woods or gouges that look like damage (not just wear) on any club.

I don't expect my putter, or clubs in general, to be pretty, but I always buy new or mint clubs and I take good care of them. Guys driving around with uncovered woods/putters in a cart with all the clubs clanking into one another makes me cringe.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Have a great week Gents?

RP

If you should ever feel the need to re-locate that putter, just let me know. I know I'm your favorite around here! At the very least, I ramble nearly as much ;).

I'm speechless looking at that flat stick. My goodness.

Hey Bro, I hope all's well :)

Apologies for the delay in responding as I did not see your post.

Yea, this was a total surprise to me as I had the putter up in my room and I was down in Radiology for an MRI and Mr. Palmer was also there for some tests(ironically ordered from my dad, who was one of his docs). Madison was sitting with us and when I came out about 45 minutes later, he had gone in for his tests and she was sitting there with my 8802 looking as it does in the bottom pic, lol

I lightedly heartedly was like "WTF," and she told me that she knew that I would never have asked Mr. Palmer for his autograph though she thought that I would really like it on that putter, as he had actually used it for a round at our place back in the 90's when his putter head fell off while on the practice green pre-round.

As usual, she was correct and while I would never have asked him(I have never asked anyone for their autograph), I will treasure it and am debating having it framed and put in my office.

I hope that you're having a great season

My Best?

Richard

Most people definitely wouldn't consider my putter a beauty queen, but I think it is stunning. Something about raw carbon steel with light patina that just speaks to me.

Tad Moore "Garage Find" Pro 1 TS left completely raw and has a nice light patina. Paired with a Vibrant Golf matte black stepless shaft and black Gripmaster stitchback grip.

I have tried several other putters over the last year to try and knock it out, but it is just too comfortable for me.

Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* W/ Matrix F7M2
Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto

Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
Royal Collection Tour VS 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
Taylormade RAC Satin 50 + 54 W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
MaxFli CrossBax 3.0 (#9 Style)
Bag - Honma Mini Staff
Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane

Yes, have to be pretty. OCD is a terrible thing.

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75
Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

Most people definitely wouldn't consider my putter a beauty queen, but I think it is stunning. Something about raw carbon steel with light patina that just speaks to me.

Tad Moore "Garage Find" Pro 1 TS left completely raw and has a nice light patina. Paired with a Vibrant Golf matte black stepless shaft and black Gripmaster stitchback grip.

I have tried several other putters over the last year to try and knock it out, but it is just too comfortable for me.

That was one of 350 heads made back in 2001-02 when Tad did his interpretation of the Anser 2 for Nike in hopes of getting it into Tiger's bag.

Well, as history has borne out, that did not occur.

Did ya get that flat stick from Chip?

Have a nice week?

All the Best,

RP