2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Scotty Custom Shop price hike

kush614

Hm...I'd bet that BOS and other custom refinishers will follow suit and raise their prices pretty soon. Wouldn't be surprised. Law of economics taking effect here.

Taylormade M2 10.5* // Tensei Pro Orange 6S
Taylormade M3 15* // Tensei Pro Orange 7s
Taylormade M3 Rescue // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM 52*
Titleist Vokey SM 58*
Scotty Cameron 350g Milspec

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm...I'd bet that BOS and other custom refinishers will follow suit and raise their prices pretty soon. Wouldn't be surprised. Law of economics taking effect here.

I actually bet the opposite. Stay where they are, and take advantage of all the people who don't want to put that kind of money into a resto.

Yadi for President

#bigdeal

__

DR Callie Epic Flash 💎💎💎 8.5º TC + House of Forged Ballistic LD-S

3W Royal Collection CV Pro 13° + LAGP House of Forged Tour Limited 70X 

5W PXG 0341X Proto 18º + LAGP HoF Platinum 70S 

HYB Royal Collection 505V BBD 18º + NS PRO 950FW X, PXG 0317X 21º + Fujikura Pro 95i Tour Spec X

DI Nike VFP #4 + KBS Tour HYB Proto 95X, Callie X Forged ‘18 #3 + Modus Tour 120X

IRONS Callie X Forged 2013 5-PW MMT 95S

WEDGES Scratch 8620 47º, 50º, 55º STI 60º, Edel 60º

PUTTERS Nike Method 001, Edel The "Gold" Brick, John Byron Winner Seven

I've been a Scotty fan for a long time, but I have been using Continental Golf on the East coast and they do a great job, not to mention the pricing is good. If I want to add a new Scotty grip/shaft band or cover, I can use fleebay. I have a few nice covers, so no cost there. I usually fall out of love with putters everyday, so need to pay the new premiums.

Callaway. TD M w/ Ventus Blue-6S

TM Sim Ti 15* w/Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

Ping g410 Hybrid 22*w/Alta CB-S

Callaway Apex w/Modus 105-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* Taylormade Full Toe 58*

Lab DF3-45.5”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

It's certainly interesting to see other message boards spin this as a positive thing, and even suggest headcover prices should be raised as well. I guess that's one perspective.

Personally I was on the fence about using the CS as it were. This probably prices me out of ever using the CS when there are so many good alternatives out there if you don't care about COA. It's a shame really, I like the old stuff way better than anything currently being put out.

what other message boards?

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

It's certainly interesting to see other message boards spin this as a positive thing, and even suggest headcover prices should be raised as well. I guess that's one perspective.

Personally I was on the fence about using the CS as it were. This probably prices me out of ever using the CS when there are so many good alternatives out there if you don't care about COA. It's a shame really, I like the old stuff way better than anything currently being put out.

I'm guessing TCC?

Even some of those guys seem a bit feisty over the price hike.

I have a few Camerons. Nice putters, I'm not a fan boy by any stretch... seems like a consensus that the last few run aren't the best SC has put out. Wouldn't the restoration requests go down and new sales go up if the new putters were a "better" option that picking up a (insert older model here) on the bay and restoring it?

I currently game an SC Studio Design and love the finish but hate the glare of the top line. If I were ever to refinish, I certainly would not send to the CS. But for those that do, I certainly will not judge you for your actions - your putter, your money.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

I'm guessing TCC?

Even some of those guys seem a bit feisty over the price hike.

that's what I was thinking though not a lot of positives I see.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Do all putters sent in to get customized get a COA?

If so isn't it also a way to guarantee to a prospective buyer that it is not counterfeit?

A search for cameron and china brings up hundred of counterfeit items.

For an extra $60 on top of your restoration, the SCCS will do you the service of issuing a COA. A whopping $15 discount compared to if you sent in your putter solely to be authenticated.

How very generous of them.

Edit: So, you can pay around $350 to have the SCCS refinish and "authenticate" your putter. Or, you can have BOS refinish and customize your putter to your liking, and then send it in to SCCS for a COA if you are super concerned about proving its authenticity. All for around $200 total. Thats $150 less, for the exact same (if not better) services.

Tell me again where the value is exactly in having your putter refinished at the SCCS?

If so isn't it also a way to guarantee to a prospective buyer that it is not counterfeit?

For an extra $60 on top of your restoration, the SCCS will do you the service of issuing a COA. A whopping $15 discount compared to if you sent in your putter solely to be authenticated.

Edit: So, you can pay around $350 to have the SCCS refinish and "authenticate" your putter. Or, you can have BOS refinish and customize your putter to your liking, and then send it in to SCCS for a COA if you are super concerned about proving its authenticity. All for around $200 total. Thats $150 less, for the exact same (if not better) services.

Tell me again where the value is exactly in having your putter refinished at the SCCS?

I don't think they'll issue a COA with aftermarket work on it unless you pay for a restoration back to an authentic Scotty Cameron finish.

If they cannot restore the putter back to whatever they consider acceptable, they'll refuse the restoration and will not issue a COA AFAIK.

I don't think they'll issue a COA with aftermarket work on it unless you pay for a restoration back to an authentic Scotty Cameron finish.

If they cannot restore the putter back to whatever they consider acceptable, they'll refuse the restoration and will not issue a COA AFAIK.

Wow. Really? WTF is the point of the COA then? Tell me if I'm I getting this right:

"A" Rating for putters that are in their original condition

"A" Rating for putters that have been restored by the SCCS

"B" Rating for putters that have been minimally altered in any way outside of the SCCS (shaft cut down, grip changed, paint fill change, etc.)

AFAIK for putters refinished outside of the SCCS

That's an even bigger joke of a rating system than calling an iron "MINTY!!" when there's browning on the face!

Increasing price, decreasing quality... sounds like a recurring theme at SC Towers.

That's the thing. There is a certain theoretical breaking point where the price hikes and loss of artistry/craftsmanship finally impacts their bottom line. But for now, they will continue to push that envelope in the pursuit of maximized earnings until that threshold is reached. What they are doing is plain as day to anyone looking at the company's course over the past 5 years. Yet still fans continue to protect SC with the zeal of crusaders in a holy war. All the while not even realizing they are being used and taken advantage of. Sad.

just as the haters attack the brand and the fans :nyam:

Cameron market is so flooded.....I started looking other directions. It's not collecting if your the first to press enter. The days of knowing guys with connects or caddies to get a tour putter, are gone...you don't even get "made for tour " on COA anymore. 2-3 years they will be like the Jordan's you couldn't get now have 10 pairs asking why did I do this...I have one, game it...could careles about any of new stuff....009 7-10 years old, garage, and few others will be only desired

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

Yadi for President

Custom shop is way overrated, but just like cigarettes if they go up to $20 a pack people will still pay the price.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

As someone has mentioned it's even worse if you're overseas. I had an old Oil Can Newport redone as a gift, I don't recall what I paid for the putter originally, but it needed a tidy up. With shipping from NZ, stamping on the bumpers and face, it cost exactly the same as a new putter. Included in the resto was a shaft, grip and headcover. If I wanted different options it would have easily exceeded a new putter price by a third.

Now the whole point is that I like the older ones, I've never thought about sending a newer putter in, I don't see the point, if it's just paint fill and stamping. But as we've seen with those Cameron and Crown or whatever they're called, there's virtually no space for stamps.

I'm leaning more and more towards a custom Byron, an actual custom putter rather than just stamps and paintfill. I mean the money is same really. Plus a 120 day turn around is a seriously long time.

Folks,

If you are using the putters to help your game who cares what finish is on it. if you are going save it to fund you kids college or make Smithsonian museum then pay for the refinish fee from Cameron and be done with it simple. He's not going to lower prices or give faster turn around times. It is what is is.

I don't understand all the negativity.

They provide a service, and charge a price for it. Odds are that they had to raise their turn time quotes because they were getting inundated with requests for the service they provide.

In short: Demand > Supply.

When the customer demand for a product/service consistently exceeds the supply you are able to (or willing to) provide, then that means your product/service is priced below market... so they adjusted the price accordingly... nothing wrong with that.

Luckily, if you don't want to pay that price (which I don't), there are many other, more affordable options out there to use (which I will).

I just don't get why some people get so bent out of shape about it. This kind of thing happens in other industries all the time.

I agree! Nobody has a gun to their head to pay SC for anything. Just like cars, if you pay Counts or West Coast to redo your car it is going to cost you and may or may not pay off on the back end. Lots of car guys out there who do great work.

All restorations are now $290 with 4 month turnaround time. Looks like BOS just got a lot more business from me.

http://www.scottycam...tm_medium=enews

price gouging continues. So many other companies and people do in my opinion superior work for way less.

Stamps and customization are cool, but agreed - it does feel like blatant price gouging. Just don't feel like this is the best way to build loyalty in customers spending a lot of money on a high end product.

This is an interesting post for sure. First off I have no issue with the increase... Manufacturers charge 500US for drivers that in some cases are changed out in less than a calendar year and Scotty raises the price of custom work and everyone loses their minds lol...When was the last price increase from the shop? Also I have over a dozen Scotty's with a couple having custom or restoration work and the work they did on them was awesome. I do notice that a lot of the negative comments are done by guys who don't even display what's in their bags so not even sure if they would be your typical Cameron customer... and somewhere in all of this I should be ashamed if I speak in a positive manner regarding this as being labeled a fan of anything is a bad thing right... guys it's one thing to have an opinion... its another thing to be ignorant towards others for an opinion that is different than your own. But that's me... Mr Scotty Cameron Fan Boy, guilty as charged lol

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Titleist T200 utility #3 iron with IZ 95X 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

This is an interesting post for sure. First off I have no issue with the increase... Manufacturers charge 500US for drivers that in some cases are changed out in less than a calendar year and Scotty raises the price of custom work and everyone loses their minds lol...When was the last price increase from the shop?. But that's me... Mr Scotty Cameron Fan Boy, guilty as charged lol

The issue is that the basic resto is creeping closer to the price of a new putter. I think Scotty Cameron putters have been pretty stable in price, same with drivers. In New Zealand we are more at the mercy of the strength (or lack of) of the US dollar. We pay about $71US ($100NZD for a dozen Pro V's. Nice drivers have always been about $500US ($700NZD). And it's been worse. When our dollar was worth half a USD, the Taylormade 510TP cost over $1000!

So for the turn around to increase, and raise the price close to a new offering, it will shrink its market. Which is probably the point. I don't think there is any fanboy element to it. I've had a couple done and they both look great, they gave new life to a couple of 20 year old putters. I've got a few TEi3's that I've held off restoring because of the extra charge they received. But they'll go to Chris Finch in the UK or BOS now. COA for OTR putters is irrelevant for me.