Robert Damron (remember him?) having a go at Justin Thomas

MattyO1984

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth, Adam Scott, Patrick Reed and Phil are not playing in the event this week

as well. Has Damron attacked them as well on Twitter?

http://www.golfdiges...support-lingers

Not an attack. But a gentle reminder

It wasn't a reminder. It was a cheap shot. Justin Thomas previously played the API (2015) in his short career. Jordan Spieth has never played the event in his career but you criticize somebody that has actually played the event.

RDD;

Thanks for coming on to WRX and defending your position. Though I don't necessarily agree with you on this one, it's pretty cool how often we get current or former touring pros chiming in on the boards.

Hope you stick around! Cheers!

I'll stick around as long as I get questions. Plus I'll probably check back in from time to time so I can read about how bad I suck on Morning Drive!

That's the Spirit!

But let's segue on that for a minute. How "aware" are the upper level Golf Channel broadcast teams of the buzz on this and other high profile forums on certain subjects? As an example, how did you hear you were getting roasted in here?

No idea if Golf Channel execs are aware of this site. Someone told me on twitter about this thread and my morbid curiousity got the better of me

Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth, Adam Scott, Patrick Reed and Phil are not playing in the event this week

It wasn't a reminder. It was a cheap shot. Justin Thomas previously played the API (2015) in his short career. Jordan Spieth has never played the event in his career but you criticize somebody that has actually played the event.

I've mentioned to most of them on Twitter. Maybe it's too much for me to ask that players 20 years younger than me fully understand Mr Palmer's impact on their career

Thomas is very easy to pick on with his spoiled brat demeanor throwing clubs and whining after every mishit but Damron might be picking a fight on the wrong topic, plenty of other material to work with. How old is Damron and why isnt he playing anywhere, or is he?

I'm 44 and I don't play anymore. Retired 4 yrs ago

This little spat with JT is the most noteworthy thing Robert Damron has done in at least seven or eight years.

917D2 - Diamana D+ 70

917F2 - Diamana D+ 80

818H1 - Tensei CK Blue 80

716 AP2 - S300

SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.12K

Pro Platinum Newport '99 w/ SuperStoke GT Pistol

ProV1

Thomas is very easy to pick on with his spoiled brat demeanor throwing clubs and whining after every mishit but Damron might be picking a fight on the wrong topic, plenty of other material to work with. How old is Damron and why isnt he playing anywhere, or is he?

I'm 44 and I don't play anymore. Retired 4 yrs ago

This little spat with JT is the most noteworthy thing Robert Damron has done in at least seven or eight years.

Not a spat. And closer to 9 years of un-noteworthyness

Sign of the times. Arnold was a great man, and did huge amounts for the game, but for a certain age range he's just not that relevant anymore.

Players who plied their trade in the 80s and 90s can thank Palmer for advancing the game, but those who are relatively new to the tour have one person to thank for the 7 figure winners cheques week in, week out, and love him or loathe him, that person is Tiger Woods.

As for JT missing Bay Hill. Unless he's signed an agreement to play this year, and subsequently gone back on it, I really can't see what he's done wrong. He's not obligated to play there, and for the reason previously mentioned probably doesn't feel the need to show up. I don't see why he's getting more grief than others just because he played there a couple of years ago, especially when he has a legit excuse for missing it (not that he should need to have an excuse IMO).

I wonder if people will be equally outraged if in 20 years time players decide to skip the Target World Challenge.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I've mentioned to most of them on Twitter. Maybe it's too much for me to ask that players 20 years younger than me fully understand Mr Palmer's impact on their career

RDD ... Unfortunately, I don't think most young people can conceptualize your statement. I agree with you in principal, but most young people regardless of profession live in the present. They understand what THEY have accomplished, but not necessarily how the past was set up for them to succeed. Out of respect, most of the younger generation will acknowledge the professionals that came before them, but I'm not sure they equate the past with their present accomplishments. Just an opinion of a mid 50's guy.

RDD ... Unfortunately, I don't think most young people can conceptualize your statement. I agree with you in principal, but most young people regardless of profession live in the present. They understand what THEY have accomplished, but not necessarily how the past was set up for them to succeed. Out of respect, most of the younger generation will acknowledge the professionals that came before them, but I'm not sure they equate the past with their present accomplishments. Just an opinion of a mid 50's guy.

But honestly, is it fair to say someone choosing not to play in his namesake tournament "not understand(ing) Mr. Palmer's impact on their career?" That's just an absurd assumption.

I've got an idea. Instead of naming stuff after him or playing in another tournament. How about all us golfers treat each other the way Arnold Palmer treated everyone. That seems a more fitting way to honor him.

RDD;

Thanks for coming on to WRX and defending your position. Though I don't necessarily agree with you on this one, it's pretty cool how often we get current or former touring pros chiming in on the boards.

Well said.

Robert could've come on here acting all high and mighty but he hasn't. I give him props for that and hope he sticks around.

Question for Robert -- if you had an opportunity for a mulligan on your golfing career, what would you do differently?

Sign of the times. Arnold was a great man, and did huge amounts for the game, but for a certain age range he's just not that relevant anymore.

Players who plied their trade in the 80s and 90s can thank Palmer for advancing the game, but those who are relatively new to the tour have one person to thank for the 7 figure winners cheques week in, week out, and love him or loathe him, that person is Tiger Woods.

As for JT missing Bay Hill. Unless he's signed an agreement to play this year, and subsequently gone back on it, I really can't see what he's done wrong. He's not obligated to play there, and for the reason previously mentioned probably doesn't feel the need to show up. I don't see why he's getting more grief than others just because he played there a couple of years ago, especially when he has a legit excuse for missing it (not that he should need to have an excuse IMO).

I wonder if people will be equally outraged if in 20 years time players decide to skip the Target World Challenge.

no they won't

I agree. Actually I was the same way...

RDD;

Well said.

Robert could've come on here acting all high and mighty but he hasn't. I give him props for that and hope he sticks around.

Question for Robert -- if you had an opportunity for a mulligan on your golfing career, what would you do differently?

Wedge work and stick with the swing that got me on tour

RD, man you'd better be careful of your post flood. They might think you're trying to get on the BST!!!

;)

Whatever that is. Sounds bad..

it is !!! stayyyy away ! you will be on your 8th iron set in a week before you realize it ! and putter.. holy shat i have no idea how many ive owned

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

RDD;

Well said.

Interesting because we here sometimes wonder how many pros might regret that tinker.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

The odds of RDD actually being Robert Damron are less that the odds of tiger winning the grand slam this year and next.

Disagree, I think this is absolutely Robert.

You're right

RDD;

Well said.

Interesting because we here sometimes wonder how many pros might regret that tinker.

They usually don't regret it until their careers are over.

A night where I am too busy with work to actually check WRX and this happens?!

Kudos to Robert for accepting that he got it wrong. Not the sort of thing that many of the other analysts would do. RDD, I hope you stick around, I am of course biased but if you really want to know what the golf geeks think, this is the place to go.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

RDD;

I'll stick around as long as I get questions. Plus I'll probably check back in from time to time so I can read about how bad I suck on Morning Drive!

Yeah, man.

And let me say, when you holed out that eagle 2 that time.

That was awesome.

Just that one time though!?!

Yeah, you must have been stoked

hqdefault.jpg

Just goofing around ; ) Hey, I didn't even know you or that you holed out an eagle 2 in 2004 and were in a playoff with SG! Many thanks for posting out here, though.

Isn't that Robert Gamez?

RDD, let's cut the small talk and get down to important matters. Can you talk to your higher-ups at GC and let them know we golf enthusiasts would love to see more Tin Cup in prime time.

Really?? I hate the ending!! But for you, I'll see what I can do

Good stuff Robert. Really enjoy your insight on Tour Live and GC. Welcome to the board and I hope you do stop in from time to time to share your thoughts/comments.

Im frequently bored, so I probably will

A night where I am too busy with work to actually check WRX and this happens?!

Kudos to Robert for accepting that he got it wrong. Not the sort of thing that many of the other analysts would do. RDD, I hope you stick around, I am of course biased but if you really want to know what the golf geeks think, this is the place to go.

I got it sorta wrong! I still believe everyone should play API

Hey RDD, would you mind if we starting a Q/A thread with you so GolfWRX members could pick your brain on your tour life, playing lessons, clubs, mental approach, and/things you'd recommend to players of all levels to improve their game?

I have a few questions burning but this thread isn't the appropriate place for them.

Let's forget Justin Thomas for a second. Apparently only 10 of top 25 OWGR are playing Arnold Palmer Inv. Only 2 of 24 Ryder Cup players showed up to his funeral (Rickie and Phil). Maybe it's because I knew him for so long, but I'm disturbed by the lack of respect. If you're a tour player making millions, Mr Palmer was the most important person to you(outside your family) that ever lived.

That's where I (and a couple beers) was coming from.

Hey RDD, would you mind if we starting a Q/A thread with you so GolfWRX members could pick your brain on your tour life, playing lessons, clubs, mental approach, and/things you'd recommend to players of all levels to improve their game?

I have a few questions burning but this thread isn't the appropriate place for them.

Start it up. I'll get to them when I can