Robert Damron (remember him?) having a go at Justin Thomas

MattyO1984

I'm sure if Arnie was still here he'd tell JT to go celebrate with your friend, the tourney will be here next year.

Damron out of line.

I may be out of line, but AP understood his place in the game, and he was big on respect. He always took it personally when big name players skipped his event

Do you think that if Thomas had the opportunity to call Mr palmer and explain his reasons for not being there that this really would be a non issue?

I understand this year being significant for obvious reasons, just seems a bit OTT to ask him to miss a close friends wedding this year. What if he plays the next 5 years after this? Is it still a lack of respect to miss this year? Even though it's understandably the first year after his passing, it seems arbitrary to assign all of the "respect" to only this years tournament

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if you expounded a little on the idea that without Arnold's influence, JT would be slinging hash at some roadside diner, people might better see your side of the story. 140 characters X 2 or 3 just isn't enough room to properly crush another guys reputation without using mere suggestion and innuendo.

Maybe it's my fault for thinking young guys should understand that. I did grow up with him, so I'm a little to invested in the situation

I'm sure if Arnie was still here he'd tell JT to go celebrate with your friend, the tourney will be here next year.

Damron out of line.

I may be out of line, but AP understood his place in the game, and he was big on respect. He always took it personally when big name players skipped his event

Do you think that if Thomas had the opportunity to call Mr palmer and explain his reasons for not being there that this really would be a non issue?

I understand this year being significant for obvious reasons, just seems a bit OTT to ask him to miss a close friends wedding this year. What if he plays the next 5 years after this? Is it still a lack of respect to miss this year? Even though it's understandably the first year after his passing, it seems arbitrary to assign all of the "respect" to only this years tournament

I'm still a little sore that so many players missed his funeral. Only 2 ryder cup players bothered showing up. I figured that playing API this year would atone for that

Disappointing IMO to read all the big names that won't be attending this year. I hope the Arnold Palmer doesn't get the same treatment and fate the Byron Nelson did after his passing. That said I think Thomas has a reasonable excuse, don't know about the others.

I knew Byron Nelson, and as great as he was, his impact on the game is dwarfed by AP's.

It's not like JT is just skipping the event because he played the last couple weeks and it doesn't fit into his schedule....he is skipping it for a legit reason....it's better than JDay skipping every 5 events because he has the flu when other players play through it.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

It's not like JT is just skipping the event because he played the last couple weeks and it doesn't fit into his schedule....he is skipping it for a legit reason....it's better than JDay skipping every 5 events because he has the flu when other players play through it.

Everyone skips tournaments. Showing at API is more of a sign of respect to his family and saying "thank you" to his impact on the game

Everyone skips tournaments. Showing at API is more of a sign of respect to his family and saying "thank you" to his impact on the game

Be that as it may, I and many others disagree that NOT showing up is some kind of intentional slap in the face. Surely there is something in the middle?

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Be that as it may, I and many others disagree that NOT showing up is some kind of intentional slap in the face. Surely there is something in the middle?

Yep. But I have a hard time with skipping his last living API, his funeral then the first API after his death. But I am a little biased...

Damron out of line.

I'm still a little sore that so many players missed his funeral. Only 2 ryder cup players bothered showing up. I figured that playing API this year would atone for that

This was really disturbing how many huge names in golf skipped Arnolds funeral

Damron out of line.

This was really disturbing how many huge names in golf skipped Arnolds funeral

yes

But you can show respect in other ways....Calling the family and apologizing for not attending is another sign of respect, writing a letter another. Not saying he did either and I would hope he did at least 1 of them, but simply not playing to attend a wedding is not disrespectful. I agree that showing up is a sign of respect, but it's not the only sign. I'm just saying there are legit reasons for missing it and not legit reasons....Saying your game isn't ready or needing a week off, in this case, wouldn't be legit.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

But you can show respect in other ways....Calling the family and apologizing for not attending is another sign of respect, writing a letter another. Not saying he did either and I would hope he did at least 1 of them, but simply not playing to attend a wedding is not disrespectful. I agree that showing up is a sign of respect, but it's not the only sign. I'm just saying there are legit reasons for missing it and not legit reasons....Saying your game isn't ready or needing a week off, in this case, wouldn't be legit.

You're not wrong

This has nothing to do with disrespect because I'm pretty certain anyone and EVERYONE in golf has respect for The King.

But, as I mentioned in my initial post, more than likely, the wedding date was already planned prior to Mr. Palmer's death in late September, 2016. Justin knew that was when the API was being played but committed to his buddies wedding.

Can't you just let it go at that?

Is Tiger Woods playing? Guess we will find out by friday afternoon. If not should he show up, give a presser and pay some in person respects? Especially since he skipped the funeral?

Hes not and he won't.

This has nothing to do with disrespect because I'm pretty certain anyone and EVERYONE in golf has respect for The King.

But, as I mentioned in my initial post, more than likely, the wedding date was already planned prior to Mr. Palmer's death in late September, 2016. Justin knew that was when the API was being played but committed to his buddies wedding.

Can't you just let it go at that?

im trying!

So, where's the public tweet to the other top players not showing? Want to make a statement? Have the balls to call out the big names or it's just grandstanding at someone else's expense.

Time to get some attention based on your own accomplishments.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

So, where's the public tweet to the other top players not showing? Want to make a statement? Have the balls to call out the big names or it's just grandstanding at someone else's expense.

JT's not a big name? And my accomplishments are long behind me

Disappointing IMO to read all the big names that won't be attending this year. I hope the Arnold Palmer doesn't get the same treatment and fate the Byron Nelson did after his passing. That said I think Thomas has a reasonable excuse, don't know about the others.

I knew Byron Nelson, and as great as he was, his impact on the game is dwarfed by AP's.

Nelsons impact on the game was not in the same class as Mr. Palmer........Did you win the Nelson?

Also no Palmer no tour .....still be playing exhibitions to make ends meet

Nelsons impact on the game was not in the same class as Mr. Palmer........Did you win the Nelson?

Also no Palmer no tour .....still be playing exhibitions to make ends meet

I did. And you're probably right

real question here is what kind of "friend" plans a wedding during the Bay hill anyway??? WTF? as if it couldnt have been another weekend.... plenty of meaningless tour stops that would be no issue to skip.... I hope this is a lifelong friend and not like some of mine where at that age.... you learn later in life that 80% or more of who you considered " friends" as a teen and in your 20s arent really worth the time...

and Mr Damron ... sorry i didnt recognize your name.... I do watch the show.... let me Welcome you to our site and ask that you not be a stranger!

also can i ask ...what is in the water down there ? everyone prego at once ????? and can you please get someone to help Dress Mr Hack ? whew ... his pants get louder and louder...sometimes i cant hear Charlie Talking ( which isnt half bad) they are so loud.... lol Only poking fun at Hack... he seems like the nicest guy on earth.... anyway Im not in 100% agrement with you ...But i see both sides... and as a guy who doesnt find true friends are all that common i hope Justin isnt wasting his time and making a mistake he will regret...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

JT's not a big name? And my accomplishments are long behind me

He's not Phil, he's not Spieth, he's not DJ. He's not known outside the game. Where's your tweet calling out Jordan for not showing?

Lots of folks don't like Chamblee, but say what you will, at least he takes on the big boys and doesn't act like he's doing them a favor by "mentoring " them.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Depending on how close the friend is, I would skip it too. One of my 4 closest friends, I wouldn't even think twice about it. Those guys are on my side for life. I'm not skipping their wedding, or any other major life milestone moment, for anything. I get the impact AP had and the significance of this year's event. If I am JT, I am doing something, like Ferrispgm mentioned, to pay my respects in a different way. Now outside of those 4 dudes and my immediate family, I am RSVPing Nope and sending a gift (I actually do this for all weddings now except for 2 remaining single buddies).

Everyone's situation is different and everyone has varying levels of importance in events. It's hard for someone on the outside to understand those reasons. JT is in a no win situation here. He has to disappoint someone. Personally, I am not going to disappoint the person who is going to be on my side my life, through thick and thin, regardless of the stakes. With that said, I do think JT should try and do something as a gesture of respect of AP and everything he meant to the game. I just don't believe that means he has to miss another major life moment for someone important to him to do it.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

real question here is what kind of "friend" plans a wedding during the Bay hill anyway??? WTF? as if it couldnt have been another weekend.... plenty of meaningless tour stops that would be no issue to skip.... I hope this is a lifelong friend and not like some of mine where at that age.... you learn later in life that 80% or more of who you considered " friends" as a teen and in your 20s arent really worth the time...

and Mr Damron ... sorry i didnt recognize your name.... I do watch the show.... let me Welcome you to our site and ask that you not be a stranger!

also can i ask ...what is in the water down there ? everyone prego at once ????? and can you please get someone to help Dress Mr Hack ? whew ... his pants get louder and louder...sometimes i cant hear Charlie Talking ( which isnt half bad) they are so loud.... lol Only poking fun at Hack... he seems like the nicest guy on earth.... anyway Im not in 100% agrement with you ...But i see both sides... and as a guy who doesnt find true friends are all that common i hope Justin isnt wasting his time and making a mistake he will regret...

It's like in Columbus, Ohio when the bride picks a fall wedding date and it's a night Ohio State game against a top 10 team... I had weddings on the OSU/USC, OSU/Texas, OSU/Oklahoma, and even an OSU/UM game. They then get all bent out of shape at the people who don't come to the wedding or are on their phone the whole time. What do you expect to happen?

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

RDD ... you took to social media to voice an opinion right or wrong to the entire world. Wouldn't it be more appropriate for you to have called JT and discussed this in private? Instead ... you made it public. To start controversy. Sounds like something Brandel Chamblee would have done. And I don't mean that in a good way.