2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

14 hours ago, swizz said:

Anyone played the tips at SV? I've got a tee time in a few weeks as i'm passing by the area for work and I will be paired with some randoms. I'm a scratch golfer and fairly long. I think it would be a burden in a way if I played different tees then the group i'm in. How short do the tees at 6500 play?

I'll typically play ~6400 +/- and played the orange, orange/sand,and sand .... The sand was too short (played with group), moved back a set with the same group (two foursomes and one group played sand and other orange) and it was spot on.  Played combo tees with my buddy the next time I went and that was also a good test for us. Can't comment on the tips so Take for what it's worth 😉

Play the tees that fit your game and enjoy the course.  I've never had an issue playing multiple tees in a group with the longer hitters going off first.  The guys playing forward are often interested in watching a longer stick.  Anyone making the trip to SV will want to see you enjoy the course the way you were meant to play it.

Phred

• Like 4

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

20 hours ago, swizz said:

Anyone played the tips at SV? I've got a tee time in a few weeks as i'm passing by the area for work and I will be paired with some randoms. I'm a scratch golfer and fairly long. I think it would be a burden in a way if I played different tees then the group i'm in. How short do the tees at 6500 play?

I have played both the orange and the tips at SV. Im not sure I can give an exact number but that course certainly plays shorter. Your tee shots run out atleast an extra 15 yards if not more, and you will almost always be clubbing down one club on every approach to allow for the hard first bounce and release. 

If I were to throw out a guess, 6500 (orange) felt like I was playing 6100-6200. The 6900 (tips) felt more like 6500-6600. I have nothing concrete to back that up other than I have played quite a few rounds out there. The only thing that the extra distance changes is a few of the spots where you might try to carry some of the bunkers. 

Another thing to note is they often move tees up out there. Not all the time, but its not uncommon to see the tips playing shorter than stated on the card. Either way you choose it will still be a fun round and if you just tell the random pairing you prefer to play back I'm sure they will have no issue with it. Walking makes playing different tees feel like a non issue. 

Meeting up with some friends coming down from central Wisconsin, and I’m coming from Chicago.  Any course recommendations around the Madison area besides University Ridge coming up from Chicago? Not looking to go crazy on green fees.  Thanks!

Ping G430 LST 9* -  Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 65
Titleist TSR2 15* - Tensei Blue AV 75
Titleist TSR2 18* - Tensei Blue AV 75
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

16 hours ago, games said:

The Oaks is decent and convenient.  I’ve heard Glen Erin near Janesville is good.  Can’t recall if it’s Reedsburg CC or Baraboo CC that is public, but supposed to be good.

Reedsburg CC and Baraboo CC are both open for play to the public.  I have played them both, although RCC was many years ago, I remember it as pretty good.  Baraboo is just ok.  Glen Erin will be a bit of a drive but is a very good course, one of my favorites!

Wild Rock twilight is $59.....if you are there during the week M-R.  I think it's ~ $85 regular rate during the week.

Oaks is fun but it's not going to be cheap either.

Old Hickory in Beaver Dam is really good but roughly same drive as to Glen Erin.

You might also consider Riverside in Janesville.

On 8/1/2021 at 6:43 AM, Ryan3773 said:

Anyone played Oshkosh country club? Thoughts?

It's OK.  I thought the front was fairly boring and flat.  The back picks up a bit with more twists and turns and a tiny bit of elevation change.  it was in really good condition.  This was last fall. Glad I checked the box, but I don't anticipate going back.

On 7/31/2021 at 6:04 PM, games said:

The Oaks is decent and convenient.  I’ve heard Glen Erin near Janesville is good.  Can’t recall if it’s Reedsburg CC or Baraboo CC that is public, but supposed to be good.

Reedsburg CC is good. 

G430 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | TM TP Bandon 1 | Pro V1x

Playing SV/MD on Aug 16th. Lawsonia Links Aug 17th, maybe the Woodlands as well. 

Thinking about getting a caddy for the morning round at SV and using a rickshaw for the afternoon round at MD. Am I going to wish I had someone to tell me where to hit it on MD?

Edited by shortstop20

G430 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | TM TP Bandon 1 | Pro V1x

1 hour ago, shortstop20 said:

Playing SV/MD on Aug 16th. Lawsonia Links Aug 17th, maybe the Woodlands as well. 

Thinking about getting a caddy for the morning round at SV and using a rickshaw for the afternoon round at MD. Am I going to wish I had someone to tell me where to hit it on MD?

I played this spring and other than maybe 3 holes it was all very obvious.  The fairways on Mammoth are very generous and the blind tee shots I’m thinking of were all on par 5s. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

17 hours ago, shortstop20 said:

While you certainly can play MD without a caddy and get around the course without any lurking trouble, you will likely miss out on some creative/less obvious ways to play shots you will likely encounter. Many of the holes have some funneling slopes that can be utilized to get the ball close to the hole without need for a perfect shot. They are not always obvious to a first time player of the course. 

If you play without a caddy you can play it like you see it from tee to green and be completely fine. You can certainly shoot a good score that way too. If you take a caddy theres a better than good chance they will point out an easier way to get near a pin that you wouldn't have noticed. Not necessary at all, but definitely an added bonus. 

• Like 3

Heading to Wisco tomorrow:

Day 1: MD, Sandbox

Day 2: SV, Kettle Loop, Drumlin

Day 3: Erin Hills 36

Day 4: Whistling Straits, The Baths

• Like 4

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Driver - Mitsubishi Diamana S Limited 60 Stiff
TaylorMade SIM2 15° 3W - Mitsubishi Diamana FW Limited 75
TaylorMade SIM Max 19° Hybrid - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White HY 90 Stiff
TaylorMade 2-iron UDI P790 - KBS Tour Stiff
TaylorMade P770 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.0 120g
Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08 F, 60.10 S
2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
Titleist ProV1x
Profile Picture: 16th Tee @ NGLA

I will be teeing it up at SV and MD tomorrow for an epic 36 hole day.  I played it last year early in the Spring but I am excited to see how the courses matured.  I played Bandon earlier in June so I am excited to see how it stacks up against those courses since I my mind is kind of foggy since last year.

Are the greens rolling fast?

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 26*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

21 hours ago, BG5 said:

I will be teeing it up at SV and MD tomorrow for an epic 36 hole day.  I played it last year early in the Spring but I am excited to see how the courses matured.  I played Bandon earlier in June so I am excited to see how it stacks up against those courses since I my mind is kind of foggy since last year.

Are the greens rolling fast?

I played SV and MD a week ago, and the greens were rolling pretty good.  SV seemed to be a tad quicker, but both rolled well it seemed.  Not the fastest you'll play, but I would say a tad quicker than Bandon speeds.  

Edited by kamizzou91

Titleist TSr2 9 

Titleist TSr2 16.5 

Titleist TSr2 21
TaylorMade 2023 P790 4-AW

TaylorMade MG4 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
ProV1x

Just got back from SV and MD.....it was my second time playing both and I had a blast....the courses are in amazing shape and they are def fast and firm.  SV has amazing customer service....I played 18 this morning on SV and played 9 holes on MD and then a tornado warning made everyone get off the course.  They told me I would not be charged a dime for the 9 holes I played.....Excellent customer service.

On a side note they also have junior caddies there for $60 plus tip.  Mine was a 14 year old kid and he was amazing

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 26*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, BirdieRoll said:

If you're playing one round at a public course in the Lacrosse/Tomah/Black River Falls triangle, what course are you booking?  (MN courses are out as is Sand Valley). Thanks in advance.

If SV is out due to price, I recommend playing one of the Lake Arrowhead courses.  It's been years since I've been there, but I thought it was good golf! 

20 hours ago, BirdieRoll said:

If you're playing one round at a public course in the Lacrosse/Tomah/Black River Falls triangle, what course are you booking?  (MN courses are out as is Sand Valley). Thanks in advance.

I don't know of any in that triangle.....about an hour east of it in Rapids is Bullseye....worth a look!

Had the luxury of playing West Bend Country Club, couldn't have enjoyed a course more for only playing it once time, as a member of lawsonia I see so many similarities but the conditioning of the course combined with the layout it was absolutely phenomenal. So many good/well designed holes out there. 

• Like 3

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

41 minutes ago, collje26 said:

Had the luxury of playing West Bend Country Club, couldn't have enjoyed a course more for only playing it once time, as a member of lawsonia I see so many similarities but the conditioning of the course combined with the layout it was absolutely phenomenal. So many good/well designed holes out there. 

Seriously thought about going when they opened up times for the RC, but then saw.the price.  Also talked to my pro about asking to get us on.as they are a member of NEWGA, as is my home course....not that it's a guarantee of getting on, but a chance.  It will be on the bucket list.  Thanks posting your thoughts!

9 minutes ago, ode said:

Seriously thought about going when they opened up times for the RC, but then saw.the price.  Also talked to my pro about asking to get us on.as they are a member of NEWGA, as is my home course....not that it's a guarantee of getting on, but a chance.  It will be on the bucket list.  Thanks posting your thoughts!

I think the yearly costs is about $10K, it's literally like taking the links course and framing it with trees. It's awesome, the member I played with took care of everything but wouldn't be shocked if they charged $150 a round.

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Played Sage Run twice, Sweetgrass, and another course just north of Escanaba called Gladstone.  Super course and a lot of fun to play.  Serious elevation change going on, cut thru some pines.  $26 to walk (not an easy walk).  Hope to return later in fall!  If you are up that way go and tee it up and have a blast!

Edited by ode

1 hour ago, ode said:

Played Sage Run twice, Sweetgrass, and another course just north of Escanaba called Gladstone.  Super course and a lot of fun to play.  Serious elevation change going on, cut thru some pines.  $26 to walk (not an easy walk).  Hope to return later in fall!  If you are up that way go and tee it up and have a blast!

That 8th, 9th and the driveable par 4 followed by the par 5 on the back are such fun holes. 

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

On 9/7/2021 at 12:58 PM, collje26 said:

I think the yearly costs is about $10K, it's literally like taking the links course and framing it with trees. It's awesome, the member I played with took care of everything but wouldn't be shocked if they charged $150 a round.

West Bend CC and Pinehills CC were both clubs that participated in the settlement with DuPont for selling a misbranded pesticide that killed trees.  My understanding of the IRS guidelines is that when they received the settlement they had 3 years to spend it on property improvements or be taxed on the award.  Both clubs are subsequently debt free, stocked with state of the art equipment and have reinvested in their courses.  West Bend has been moving forward to redo some bunkering to be more consistent with the Langford & Moreau style bunkering of the front 9.

I played West Bend as a reciprocal from another club and I think it was only $80.  The PGA reached out to clubs throughout SE Wisconsin asking them to make an effort to host Ryder Cup visitors.  West Bend is doing so, albeit at a stiff rate.

Phred

• Like 2

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

22 minutes ago, Phreddy said:

West Bend CC and Pinehills CC were both clubs that participated in the settlement with DuPont for selling a misbranded pesticide that killed trees.  My understanding of the IRS guidelines is that when they received the settlement they had 3 years to spend it on property improvements or be taxed on the award.  Both clubs are subsequently debt free, stocked with state of the art equipment and have reinvested in their courses.  West Bend has been moving forward to redo some bunkering to be more consistent with the Langford & Moreau style bunkering of the front 9.

I played West Bend as a reciprocal from another club and I think it was only $80.  The PGA reached out to clubs throughout SE Wisconsin asking them to make an effort to host Ryder Cup visitors.  West Bend is doing so, albeit at a stiff rate.

Phred

Yeah I remember that. There was a course in the valley (Butte Des Mort) that got several million from the same settlement. It actually improved the course because the trees needed to go but sadly they just built a pool area with tennis courts…..

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Steven’s Point CC is another that got the DuPont settlement money and Craig Haltom (Oliphant golf, Sand Valley, Club at Lac La Belle) worked with them to renovate the golf course 

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x