2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Forgetting a wedge at the green...

Bush Pilot

One of the nice things about playing at a private club is not worrying about someone finding a club and deciding it's now theirs.

I've played plenty of public and private golf, and I've probably turned in half a dozen clubs. It never even occurred to me to keep one. What's wrong with people?

Good question.

Self-interest and irrational justification, or just plain dishonesty.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the nice things about playing at a private club is not worrying about someone finding a club and deciding it's now theirs.

I've played plenty of public and private golf, and I've probably turned in half a dozen clubs. It never even occurred to me to keep one. What's wrong with people?

Good question.

Self-interest and irrational justification, or just plain dishonesty.

I've heard from pro shops that sometimes they get returned a week or two later...the finder forgot to turn it in at the end of the round and noticed it on their next round. Presumably the finder isn't using a 14 slot bag nor being diligent cleaning clubs after a round.

A few times I've leaned my wedge against the stand bag of another player in my foursome. Might stop that though as twice the other player automatically just put it in their own bag after putting out- and embarrassed me just realized on the next hole that I didn't have the club.

Yep, I lost my entire bag! I take lots of pain meds thanks to a malignant Melanoma tumor in a major nerve in my jaw/skull. I work and play golf as well as I can and golf is the most complete and positive distraction I've got from my predicament. I am a little compromised at times though. Well, it seems that I took my bag off the cart and left it beside my car when I drove off....at a private country club. There was an identifying bag tag and everything. Did anyone turn them in?.....nope. It was a little hard to believe but at least it gave me an excuse to put together a new bag, which is always fun. All of it would have been replaced by now anyway but it's just the idea that irks me. There's going to be some bad Karma for someone over that one. Thankfully, I'm not hurting for money....it could have been worse.

Left a gap wedge from an iron set that was never returned. Followed CL and EBay for 6 months after hearing a story from a guy who had his entire bag stolen, only to have it show up on CL a week later.

I found a new pair of Maui Jims last spring and got a very nice note from the member who'd lost them. He was certain he'd never get them back. Cant imagine the kind of people who think it's okay to steal. But theres lots of them out there. Not just golf. Skis disappearing from Ski areas are the worst. I feel for you.

Heard a story, not sure if it's true, of 2 fellas playing in a club matchplay, they didn't know each other previously. About the 3rd hole one guy see a wedges in his opponents bag that he had lost 6 months previous, it had some distinctive mark. It came to blows with the other fella saying it was his and he bought it from the local pro new.

Anyway, the guy that lost the wedge made a whole stink over it in the club house, convinced that this was his wedge and he knew because of the distinctive mark.

The captain was called and the two guys stood in the bar with the captain as he examined the wedge. The fella keep shouting that this wedge was his and look at the dot that is only on his wedge.

The captain looked at the wedge and said "all Cleveland wedges have that dot, it signifies the bounce".

I like the story, but the guy the told me loves to spin tales :)

Heard a story, not sure if it's true, of 2 fellas playing in a club matchplay, they didn't know each other previously. About the 3rd hole one guy see a wedges in his opponents bag that he had lost 6 months previous, it had some distinctive mark. It came to blows with the other fella saying it was his and he bought it from the local pro new.

Anyway, the guy that lost the wedge made a whole stink over it in the club house, convinced that this was his wedge and he knew because of the distinctive mark.

The captain was called and the two guys stood in the bar with the captain as he examined the wedge. The fella keep shouting that this wedge was his and look at the dot that is only on his wedge.

The captain looked at the wedge and said "all Cleveland wedges have that dot, it signifies the bounce".

I like the story, but the guy the told me loves to spin tales :)

Liking your Senna avatar.

Like many others I've learned to place my wedges etc by the flag stick. But before I learned that lesson I left behind a wedge which was returned to me. Maybe because I am a lefty & it was no use to them.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

I've gotten into stamping inits and personal quotes etc onto all my wedges. That way, people think twice before bagging an item that's so easily recognizable, and if they still have the balls to do it, I'm lurking near the first tee every time back to the same course, waiting to beat the living hell out of 'em with it if/when I see it!!!!

Edit: And yes, I've lost one wedge before, a 64* Cleveland that was found and kept by some douchbag, but no stamping on that one unfortunately. My bitterness stems from not only this but from some clown that stole my 1400$ road bike and girlfriends 800$ bike from our garage. If I ever find THAT person it's likely I won't be posting any further on this forum after I get finished with them....

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Figured out a fool proof way to never forget another wedge.

I'm going to hit every green.

Problem solved.

Now i'm going to start working on the Middle East.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Anyone can and will leave a club behind. Building consistent personal habit patterns is the best defense.

First: get in the habit of always doing the exact same thing every single time. Don't sometimes put it on the pole, sometimes place it in your walk off path, or sometimes put the putter cover on it. Why is the putter cover a bad idea? Because you can't do the exact same thing every time unless you never hit the green with your approach shots.

Second: get in the habit of always looking back as you leave. ALWAYS!! You are not just looking for your clubs, you are looking for ANY clubs left behind. That creates good karma for you. Be your brother's or sister's keeper.

Third: furthering karma, when you find another player's club, immediately call the pro shop and describe the club and leave your name and cell number. Then turn it in after the final hole.

Fourth: be proactive when feasible. Two years ago I left an expensive custom club behind and had no idea I'd done it. As we stood on a tee box, a guy from two groups behind comes racing up in his golf cart and asked if any of us was missing a club. Then, and this is very important, he asked me to describe the missing club to make certain that he was returning it to the true owner. Obviously he was a quality gentleman. I try to pay it forward whenever I can.

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

I would be willing to bet majority of the finders keepers are at public courses. Would never happen at my course, (can't say never) but most likely I know part of both group in front and behind and 85% of members. We have more unclaimed than anything. Rarely have I heard lost not returned, could be leaning up against a tree in the woods. But one of benefits knowing your members at private course.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

My closest and most regular golfing friend has a Ping eye S/W which he will take to the grave with him, if he doesn't lose it first. He leaves it by a green at least 3 times a year and it always gets handed in. The last time it happened he had to wait over a week before it turned up at the Pro shop, he had actually given up on it. He went in on the off chance to see if it was there and the Pro brought two clubs out. "No, he said, I only lost one" but with a closer inspection he realised that the second club was his lob wedge which he doesn't love quite as much and didn't realise was missing.

Another time he replaces his flat trolley battery with a huge one from a car which didn't fit the battery tray. On the fifth, a down hill par 3 he putted out then realised that his battery was missing, it was back on the tee so I ran back and retrieved it. He lost it again on the 13th and didn't realise for a couple of holes (I don't know how!). We could see it in the middle of the fairway but he wasn't going back and neither was I. Nobody handed it in.

Which was a bit like my nearly new Cleveland 588 wedge which I left laid against the bench at the 7th tee. I hope the turd who kept it really really enjoyed it. It was over 20 years ago and I expect to get over it soon.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

I lost a putter cover for a relatively new odyssey putter. I wen't looking for it after my round and went up to a group and asked them, they said they hadn't found anything. I saw it sitting in the basket in the cart and told them I'm pretty sure that's my putter cover. They handed it over and drove off. Who keeps a putter cover?

Its horrible. Either they think it will be worth something on fleabay or they will throw it on their putter so they have a spare. I lost my Guerin Rife IMO putter cover and this was never returned at my home club. This putter is kinda rare in my parts and I am still pissed off. Emailed RIFE and they had no spares so yeah had to go to the bay.... Which begs the question, did I enable this kinda bad karma twice?

I've left a club greenside few times, but never lost one... I've gone back a few times after a hole or two to retrieve without issue and had one handed to me by the group behind at a hole that doubles-back on the previous hole. I've returned a few wedges to the clubhouse, a LH Vokey most recently.

I now use all the tricks listed above to not forget... wedge is left on the green between hole and cart/push-car along with glove and putter cover. The putter cover is probably the one that's most helpful as it's most noticeable when putting the putter back in the bag. I also use a 14-way bag with wedges right by the putter well, so it's easy to see an empty slot when returning the putter to the bag too. It's been quite awhile since I've had to go back for a club at all, and I'm a forgetful guy in general.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

I've had only one club not returned and it was a 52 mizuno r-12 wedge. had it custom ground paintfill and name stamped in. let my nephew use it once and he forgets it and no one turns it in. The worse though was calling out a high roller that had my titleist towel on his bag. I left the towel on 18 and realized it after trying to wipe my clubs before leaving. I walk to the club house and while passing see it on the deck. The guy cusses me for accusing him until I ask him why he has my name on his towel. shuts up I take the towel and he goes to his car. That dude is a millionaire and tried to take my $40 towel

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime

I go with the glove method. Since I would only have on the green if I am taking a wedge with me. If I hit the green the glove goes on the bag or in the cart. If I miss the green and need another club the glove goes with me. When I putt the glove gets attached to the club shaft, so if I get to the next tee and don't have a glove I know I left something behind.

Anyone can and will leave a club behind. Building consistent personal habit patterns is the best defense.

First: get in the habit of always doing the exact same thing every single time. Don't sometimes put it on the pole, sometimes place it in your walk off path, or sometimes put the putter cover on it. Why is the putter cover a bad idea? Because you can't do the exact same thing every time unless you never hit the green with your approach shots.

Second: get in the habit of always looking back as you leave. ALWAYS!! You are not just looking for your clubs, you are looking for ANY clubs left behind. That creates good karma for you. Be your brother's or sister's keeper.

Third: furthering karma, when you find another player's club, immediately call the pro shop and describe the club and leave your name and cell number. Then turn it in after the final hole.

Fourth: be proactive when feasible. Two years ago I left an expensive custom club behind and had no idea I'd done it. As we stood on a tee box, a guy from two groups behind comes racing up in his golf cart and asked if any of us was missing a club. Then, and this is important, he asked me to describe the missing club to be sure it was really mine. What a guy! I try to pay it forward.

I have to ask about the fourth item. I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic about the guy who brought you your club. Should he not have asked you to describe it? That seems reasonable to me but I guess it seems more reasonable to wait until the person who lost the club volunteers a description.

Fourth: be proactive when feasible. Two years ago I left an expensive custom club behind and had no idea I'd done it. As we stood on a tee box, a guy from two groups behind comes racing up in his golf cart and asked if any of us was missing a club. Then, and this is important, he asked me to describe the missing club to be sure it was really mine. What a guy! I try to pay it forward.

I have to ask about the fourth item. I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic about the guy who brought you your club. Should he not have asked you to describe it? That seems reasonable to me but I guess it seems more reasonable to wait until the person who lost the club volunteers a description.

No sarcasm. I sincerely appreciated that he didn't just hand it over to the first guy he came across who said, "Yeah man. Thank you". Paying it forward means that one will endeavor to treat others the same way. I will change one or two words to minimize any confusion.

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

I have only left my 56 and 60 wedge behind one time at a green. I left the green rode around a tree lined corner and up the other side to the next tee box. I realised as soon as I got to the tee box that I had left my wedges behind. I hopped into the cart and zoomed back around the corner to see a guy in the foursome behind me carrying some wedges with black and yellow grips (like my grips) back to his cart. I asked the group if they had seen my wedges and I was told no. I was so sure the one guy put my wedges in his bag that I went to the guys bag and pulled out my wedges with my name tags on them. I said how about these? I got no response. I let it go at that but on the next hole one of the guys drove into us. I picked up his ball and put it in my pocket. We didn't see them the rest of the day.

I have found many items over the yrs. I'll gladly return anything I find. I've had a few people get kind of pissed at me for having their clubs in my bag even though my intention is to give it back. Since an encounter with one jerk what isn't mine I leave alone. If someone comes looking for a club I'll tell them where I saw it but I'm not carrying it in my bag anymore.

On a better note I found a guys wedge one time. I knew the guy ahead of us had just left it behind. He had a name tag on it with phone#. I called him up and started talking to him like we were friends. When he asked me who I was I said I was the guy that recommends using the wedge that is missing from your bag on your next shot. Everyone had a good laugh from both groups with that one.

...pulled out my wedges with my name tags on them. I said how about these? I got no response. I let it go at that but on the next hole one of the guys drove into us. I picked up his ball and put it in my pocket. We didn't see them the rest of the day.

I would have hit it back at them... or tried and probably topped it and embarrassed myself.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

I have only left my 56 and 60 wedge behind one time at a green. I left the green rode around a tree lined corner and up the other side to the next tee box. I realised as soon as I got to the tee box that I had left my wedges behind. I hopped into the cart and zoomed back around the corner to see a guy in the foursome behind me carrying some wedges with black and yellow grips (like my grips) back to his cart. I asked the group if they had seen my wedges and I was told no. I was so sure the one guy put my wedges in his bag that I went to the guys bag and pulled out my wedges with my name tags on them. I said how about these? I got no response. I let it go at that but on the next hole one of the guys drove into us. I picked up his ball and put it in my pocket. We didn't see them the rest of the day.

I have found many items over the yrs. I'll gladly return anything I find. I've had a few people get kind of pissed at me for having their clubs in my bag even though my intention is to give it back. Since an encounter with one jerk what isn't mine I leave alone. If someone comes looking for a club I'll tell them where I saw it but I'm not carrying it in my bag anymore.

On a better note I found a guys wedge one time. I knew the guy ahead of us had just left it behind. He had a name tag on it with phone#. I called him up and started talking to him like we were friends. When he asked me who I was I said I was the guy that recommends using the wedge that is missing from your bag on your next shot. Everyone had a good laugh from both groups with that one.

Two more reasons in this post why I use labels with name & contact info on all my clubs.

Funny because I'm teaching my son, who's new to the game, the importance of putting his wedge (or whatever non-putter) down either (a) with the flagstick, or (b) between the cart and green. Works every time!

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

I've heard from pro shops that sometimes they get returned a week or two later...the finder forgot to turn it in at the end of the round and noticed it on their next round. Presumably the finder isn't using a 14 slot bag nor being diligent cleaning clubs after a round.

I did that years ago. Picked up a club quite early in the round, forgot to hand it in. A few days later as I was getting ready to tee off, I notice this strange club in my bag. "What's this doing in my ba....AH!" As it was the first tee, I was close to the pro shop, so I handed it in there and then.