2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Forgetting a wedge at the green...

Bush Pilot

Our club is fairly friendly and most people know each other, so clubs are always returned. Often there would. Be shouts across the fairways from groups behind that find a club.

There's also a box in our locker room filed with headcover, there's a Ping G cover that's been in there a while now, alway wonder who leaves these behind and never checks the box or phones the club if there were visitors.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't lost a club but regularly find them and hand 'em in at the pro shop. Found a box of brand new Pro V's one day that had fallen out of the cart bag of a guy in front of us. He got em back lol. I always undo the velco tab on my golf glove and attach the glove to the shaft of the wedge I am leaving near the green.

It happens most when you take a couple of clubs and end up holing the chip/pitch. Excitement gets the best of you. I instinctively watch everyone now out of habit.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I guess when you guys cart it all the time it is easy to leave clubs behind. When you push a buggy as we do in Oz it doesn't happen because you have your bag right there to put the club back straight away.

Nevertheless though you'd reckon golfers would hand them in. I suppose for some the temptation is too much.

Bad luck at loosing your wedge. I would not be happy either. Hopefully your good karma will arrive soon.

Had a buddy leave a Circle T behind on a green, was never returned. I find it strange that the pro shop "gave" him a new scotty because they felt "bad", I have a feeling one of the dudes there is now gaming a Circle T...

Titleist TSR 4 - Autoflex SF 505XX

Burner Mini - Autoflex SF505XX

Cally Apex UW - Ventus TR RED 7x

Ping G430 3H - Ventus HY Blue 8x 

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW Axiom 105x

Hi-Toe 3 52/MG3 TW 60 - S400TI 

Odyssey Ai Milled Eleven DB w/Stability Tour 

I usually just throw my wedge at the cart helicopter style landing it just short and releasing perfectly to a foot. Unless its a few bad shots in a row, then it may hit the cart or scrap across the cart path. My 56 gets the worst of it. Poor little fella is all beat up. Scrap marks on the back of the club, topline, ding in the shaft. lol, But he's my little soldier, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

[b]MAIN BAG[/b]
9.6* G Driver -------------------------------------------------------- Fujikura Pro 61 XLR8 Tour
13.6* G Stretch 3 Wood ------------------------------------------ Fujikura Speeder Pro 73 XLR8 Tour
18* 9031 Super Proto Hybrid ----------------------------------- Diamana 82 HY
4 - GW 716 T-MB Irons(4 2* & 5 1* strong) ----------------- KBS Tour V
56 (Bent to 55*) & 60 Mac Daddy PM Grind Wedges----- KBS Tour V Wedge
Ping Cadence Anser 2 Counter Balanced
Bridgestone B330
Leoupol 4Xi

Karma rant here. I have found a TON of forgotten wedges at greens, dropped putter covers, left behind range finders, and the like over the years. Never dreamed of keeping anything.

Once I found two brand new Vokey wedges on a green, and the guy was actually waiting around when I walked into the pro shop with them. He was pretty happy. I bet I've returned a half dozen irons in the last year.

But I've lost 3 clubs now. Wish I wasn't so stupid and leave the odd one on the green, but it doesn't happen often. Frickin' literally EVERY time I have done it someone keeps the effing thing. I've never left a club behind and retrieved it later. Man, you'd think with all the times I've turned in sweet gear to the pro shop, I'd earn enough karma points to have something returned.

I'm just still sore over losing my 56 degree wedge on the weekend. I can even remember exactly what hole I left it on, and the circumstances around it. It involves me deciding to putt from just off the green instead of using the wedge, some stupidity, drinks, and then not remembering this for almost an hour. Ugh.

Anyway, hope that douchbag takes good care of Doug for me. Rant over.

:(

I love that you named your 56 Doug as it's my name. My 56 is my favorite wedge. I might have to get my next 56 stamped Bush Pilot...a fitting name for that club at times anyhow.

That's a pretty expensive mistake. I hope three is a charm for you and that is the last one you leave behind.

I was playing in a military tournament, pulled my wallet out to buy some beverages from the roving cart and my wallet didn't quite make it bag into my bag. Lucky for me the admiral was in the group behind me, found it and drove it up to me!

I am still in debt to Karma. Yes I've returned clubs, even this past weekend I returned a Bushnell Tour V3, but I'm still in debt. Shortly after getting married my wedding ring fell out of the bag somehow... a older lady found it the next morning during her league, with no signs of a fight against a law mower even.

As for the club being forgotten, lots of good advice but the thing besides setting next to the flag stick that helps me the most is my grips. I have red and white NDMC on my wedges, very bright and stand out no matter where I set them.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Was playing as a single once while on a business trip, quick 9 after work. Links style course with lots of space between the green and next T box. Cart path was crushed rock like stuff, which was odd but whatever. I finish up on the green, put the putter away and roll to the next T. I had to wait. And wait. And wait. 3some that was behind me catches me so were just politely chatting. One of them says are you playing or just riding around. I thought WTF is he talking about and said Im from out of town and playing a quick 9. He says, "with what?" I look at my cart and my entire bag was gone! Must have fallen off on the off-road path between last green and T box. Look on my face must have been priceless - they all started cracking up. They said they found my bag in the middle of the path and returned it to me. They were good dudes. I joined them the last few holes and had a brew afterwards.

It was funny. I admit I was freaking out.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

OP, develop a habit of where you leave your clubs and it will never happen again. I rarely leave clubs behind, always leave them on the green between the hole and the bag and I'm fine. But the past 2 rounds I've left clubs as for some reason I leaned them against my bag rather than putting them away. First time was on the course in the rough, most recently on the range before the round, really not sure how I walked away without noticing 3 clubs fall to the ground. Fortunately I got all clubs back in both instances, but admittedly the most recent time I was already buying new clubs in my head should the lost ones not get returned. :)

I'll never understand the mindset of the people who simply walk off with others clubs. I return everything I find on the course, covers, towels, wedges, etc. Even turned in a rangefinder before.

I've never lost a club forever. I should have a couple times, but got incredibly lucky. Back in high school (late 80's), my clubs all had stickers around the shafts, with my name and the course I was a member at. One day, I was playing in a tournament a good hour away from home, was in the final group out on the course, and unbeknownst to me left my Ping Eye 2 sand wedge on the last hole. The next day, I was working at the club where I was also a member, and up walks one of the older members, with my wedge in his hand, that I still didn't even know was missing. Turns out, he was playing in a senior tournament at the same course I had played the day before, and he was in the first group out. That was pretty crazy.

The only other time I can remember leaving a club on the course was like 10 years ago. I was in Charleston, SC for business. Finished up early one day, and went out to play. Got paired up with two guys. They seemed a little bit put off by being paired with me, but I quickly found out why, and then it was all good. On the second hole, one of them comes up to me, asks what I do for a living, I think making sure I'm not a cop. Then, he says, "Hey, will you be offended if me and my buddy light up?". My response - "Only if you don't share"... So, the rest of the round was real friendly and relaxed, so to speak. At any rate, I somehow (wink) managed to leave my PW (TaylorMade RAC TP) on the 18th hole, which I didn't realize until the next day, when I was back home in Atlanta. I called the course in Charleston, and someone had indeed turned it in (I guess, what are you gonna do with a PW, right?). I had a friend that lived there, so I sent her an empty box and a UPS label, she went to the course, picked it up and shipped it back to me.

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

People are jerks.

I once left a 54* wedge on the 9th green (9 hole course), and I realized it as I was putting my bag in my car. I went back and it wasn't there. I waited and no one turned it in. The pro shop said they'd call me if someone turned it in, but no one did. I couldn't believe it.

The most egregious incident, however, was with my Ping G SF Tec 3 wood. I love this club, it was the first club I bought brand new and the first club I was fit for. I always think people are full of crap when they say a club is "automatic" or "point and shoot" - but this one is, for me. I pulled it out at hole #5 and was debating between it and my driver, and decided driver. So I (stupidly) leaned it against my cart and went to hit with driver. I must have forgotten about it and drove away. I didn't notice on hole #6 - which causes you to drive right past the clubhouse/pro shop to get to it, but I did notice on hole #7. I immediately drove across 2 holes to find it, as I knew exactly what had happened. It wasn't there. Then I drove around a bit looking for anyone in the area.

I called the clubhouse, panicked, and they said no one had turned it in but they would call me. I could feel my stomach sinking and went on to hole #7. As we were teeing off, I finally saw a guy starting on hole #6. I waited for him and when I approached, I asked him if he'd seen my club. Then I saw it in his bag.

He immediately looked uncomfortable and was like "Yeah, you shouldn't leave nice clubs lying around. This is an expensive club."

I couldn't believe it. I had the rising urge to punch him, but I was so shocked I could barely manage a "Obviously it was an accident." Who the F does he think bought the club? I know EXACTLY how much it cost because I buy my own gear. I don't know if he assumed because I'm a woman that someone else buys my stuff, but I know he tried to steal my club. Thankfully he was dumb enough to try and finish his round right behind me. I told him next time he finds a club, turn it in at the pro shop as soon as possible. He had to literally walk right by the clubhouse to get to hole #6, so I knew he had no intention of turning it in.

I was pretty much shaking with anger for the rest of my round. Just remembering it pisses me off. I'm so glad I found it/him, though. I love my 3 wood. I've tried to be very cognizant of laying clubs down near the cart and/or covering them with my glove or something. It works.

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

I've only lost one club. Left it on the stand at a driving range. Was putting my clubs in my car, remembered I left it there and ran back and it was gone. Couldn't have been more than 5 minutes tops.

That always surprised me that people would steal something like that (lefty wedge) then 2 months ago I sliced a drive into an adjacent fairway as I'm walking up to my ball in the other fairway a guy playing his hole, walks over, picks up my ball and starts power walking away. I ran up to him and said I think you took my ball. I described the ball and the markings and he refused to let me see it at first just claiming it was his. Took prob 2 minutes of talking to before he played it off like a mistake and tossed it back to me. If someone will go through this much trouble to take a used ball, I don't have much confidence in a club getting back to me.

Oof...that would be really upsetting

I've come close to losing clubs before, but now I just have a system in place for the green/around the green so it greatly lessens that chance. If I'm the one pulling the flag I'll put everything on top of the flagstick. If I'm putting first/someone else is pulling the flag I'll make a nice pile of whatever extra clubs I have, putter headcover, and my bright blue towel on the green and it's basically impossible to miss. If the situation fits (& it doesn't slow anything up), I'll hit the putt, pick up everything, and drop it all by the flag.

If I'm choosing from multiple clubs for another shot, I'll toss any extra clubs within 3-4' of me between me and where I need to go (cart, my way out of a bunker, etc). I'll often grab my blue towel to bring with me to lay down with any extra clubs just so I don't forget.

I get nervous about my laser rangefinder, though...I'm trying to figure out the best way to make sure that doesn't go walking off

Callaway GBB Epic SZ 10' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5
Taylormade SIM 3H - GD AD-DI 8x
Ping i(e1) 4-PW - Project X 6.0 
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04L - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 7

I love that you named your 56 Doug as it's my name. My 56 is my favorite wedge. I might have to get my next 56 stamped Bush Pilot...a fitting name for that club at times anyhow.

Ha ha, that's great. I named mine because I was always digging my ball our of trouble - plugged lies, deep rough, etc. "You really dug that one out of there". Super plugged bunker lies are kind of my specialty. lol

I am still in debt to Karma. Yes I've returned clubs, even this past weekend I returned a Bushnell Tour V3, but I'm still in debt. Shortly after getting married my wedding ring fell out of the bag somehow... a older lady found it the next morning during her league, with no signs of a fight against a law mower even.

Oh man, I didn't even think to post this yesterday. I lost my wedding ring on a golf trip last year. I always take it off and leave it at the hotel or at home, forgot to one day and it was killing me to swing with it on. Put it in my bag in a small pocket. Forgot to remove after the round... of course it's gone when I get the clubs back home. My travel bag and golf bag both had big tears down the side after the flight, never even realized it until I got all the way home. I used to get skin reactions to the gold in the ring and didn't wear it daily, so not having it on my finger wasn't a big deal and I didn't think about it... *sigh*. That was a tough night man, broke my wife's heart. :(

So yeah, I am long overdue for some good karma!!!

I usually just throw my wedge at the cart helicopter style landing it just short and releasing perfectly to a foot. Unless its a few bad shots in a row, then it may hit the cart or scrap across the cart path. My 56 gets the worst of it. Poor little fella is all beat up. Scrap marks on the back of the club, topline, ding in the shaft. lol, But he's my little soldier, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Hilarious, that's my usual go-to move, minus the cart path damage. :) I think what happened is I just got a 52 degree wedge, and now I'm unsure which one I want to use around the green until I get there, so the 52 and 56 were coming with me a lot. I had to have left it just off the fringe.

Doug's replacement will be here next week. If I was going to look for a silver lining, it's the fact that he was getting worn down pretty good, and this is an exact replacement. It actually looked like I had a black 52, silver 56, and black 60. That black paint was long gone. I get to rock some new grooves again I guess.

People are jerks.

I once left a 54* wedge on the 9th green (9 hole course), and I realized it as I was putting my bag in my car. I went back and it wasn't there. I waited and no one turned it in. The pro shop said they'd call me if someone turned it in, but no one did. I couldn't believe it.

The most egregious incident, however, was with my Ping G SF Tec 3 wood. I love this club, it was the first club I bought brand new and the first club I was fit for. I always think people are full of crap when they say a club is "automatic" or "point and shoot" - but this one is, for me. I pulled it out at hole #5 and was debating between it and my driver, and decided driver. So I (stupidly) leaned it against my cart and went to hit with driver. I must have forgotten about it and drove away. I didn't notice on hole #6 - which causes you to drive right past the clubhouse/pro shop to get to it, but I did notice on hole #7. I immediately drove across 2 holes to find it, as I knew exactly what had happened. It wasn't there. Then I drove around a bit looking for anyone in the area.

I called the clubhouse, panicked, and they said no one had turned it in but they would call me. I could feel my stomach sinking and went on to hole #7. As we were teeing off, I finally saw a guy starting on hole #6. I waited for him and when I approached, I asked him if he'd seen my club. Then I saw it in his bag.

He immediately looked uncomfortable and was like "Yeah, you shouldn't leave nice clubs lying around. This is an expensive club."

I couldn't believe it. I had the rising urge to punch him, but I was so shocked I could barely manage a "Obviously it was an accident." Who the F does he think bought the club? I know EXACTLY how much it cost because I buy my own gear. I don't know if he assumed because I'm a woman that someone else buys my stuff, but I know he tried to steal my club. Thankfully he was dumb enough to try and finish his round right behind me. I told him next time he finds a club, turn it in at the pro shop as soon as possible. He had to literally walk right by the clubhouse to get to hole #6, so I knew he had no intention of turning it in.

I was pretty much shaking with anger for the rest of my round. Just remembering it pisses me off. I'm so glad I found it/him, though. I love my 3 wood. I've tried to be very cognizant of laying clubs down near the cart and/or covering them with my glove or something. It works.

There is potentially an explanation here. When I find a club, I immediately put it into my bag assuming the guy will come backwards to find it and when he does I'll get it to him. So 99% of the time found clubs make it to my bag. But it's usually clear when the guy gets to me that I have it. Usually I see him moving backwards, pull the club and wave it in the air.

Keep checking . Sometimes I walk, when I find a club I put it in my bag until I get to the club house. But 1 time I forgot I had it until the next time out when I get to the first green and lo and behold I got a strange club in my bag. I wasn't even at the same course that I picked it up at. That club didn't get returned for a couple weeks. But it did get returned eventually. Hopefully yours will to.

Also had a buddy drive his cart to his car , take off and change his shoes . Return the cart and left his clubs on the cart. Didn't know about it until the next time he went out to golf. And yes he was at a different course.

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

Maxfli tour S

With the exception of the tee box (where I leave spare clubs by the tee marker nearest the cart so that I have to trip on them to return to the cart), I take a large white bath towel with one end wetted with me to all of my shots. I use that towel to wipe the clubface after a shot, or the grip before a shot, or my golf ball before I putt. I place all of my spare clubs right there with my towel. That towel is an obvious marker, and prevents me from leaving any spare clubs behind.

I lost a matching set of three brand new Vokeys. Left them just beside the green on a hole, remembered one or two hole later, and they were gone. The groups directly behind us claimed they hadn't seen them, a course employee went out in a cart to look for them... nothing. IT's amazing what people will do when no one is looking.

A little trick that will help you never forget.

When you take your glove off to putt toss it down with the wedge rather than putting it in your back pocket. If you arrive at the next tee and go to hit but no glove, you know you are also possibly missing a club! Only one green away.

Hopefully karma turns around for you.

^^Best idea I've heard for this.

I buy these labels http://www.golfid.ca/index.htm

I generally lean my wedge on the flagstick. So if I forget it someone else will grab it as the flag is picked up. Though I played with a guy in my men's club who just lifted the flag, left my club there and walked off the green, more than once. I think he knew it was mine...we aren't buddies by any stretch ...fortunately I remembered it.

I normally leave my wedge on the fringe directly in the path to the cart ... I like the flag idea better.

Usually leave my putter cover in the basket and replace it after the hole is completed - have dropped the putter cover riding down the course when it's a bit bumpy and the magnet or velcro closure is not very good though ... not much you can do about that except fix/replace the cover.

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max Driver Alta CB Slate Sr

Ping G425 Max 5w / 7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h / 5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 5-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS / 58° Eye2 Z-115

Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up Hoofer bag:

Ping Eye2+ 3-9 Aldila Low Torque Graphite, PW-SW KT Steel