2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping G400 Driver, Fairway Woods and Crossovers (Including Bubba's Custom Driver and 3 Wood): Shot at

GolfWRX

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the season is nearly over by mid august.hard to justify a new hybrid then plus i have to wait 6 weeks. may as well buy another one now.

Nice reasoning :), Although Im lucky enough to live in an all year round golf season state. I feel for those up north, in the winter you can't play and when golf season finally starts up for you our snowbirds head back up there and congest all the courses up on your only time to play. We can play all year round but the best time to play in the nicest weather (winter) for us is crowded (5-6 hr rounds) and expensive because of the snowbirds, That's basically our 'off season'.

Titleist T150 Irons

Titleist U505 4 Utility
Titleist Tsi2 Driver
Ping G425 5 Wood
Ping G425 7 Wood
Titleist SM9 48, 54, 58 Wedges
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11

Sorry, but 3 reps. have said QC issues, fairways were originally scheduled for July 27. Brother had ordered driver and 2 fairways for a August tournament. Was told originally he would have them by July 27. He tried 2 other reps he knew across the country when his rep said they would be delayed until middle of August. Got same answer from other 2 reps QC issues not enough heads to supply retail. Good thing as Ping won't sell out of spec clubs unlike other no scrap OEMs

Got a chance to hit the entire line this friday. Irons def got that same old Ping feel to them, Go for a mile but with lofts the way they are what else did I expect? Will have PX, DG and Nippon w/o upcharge

Crossover looks a lot better being in the same color as the irons and also got the hydropearl finish. A bit more slim that the current model. Both steel and graphite options w/o upcharge.

Fairway feels much better than the G. More square face that sits flush with the ground, easy to get the ball up even with the 3w turned down to 13.5. better sound, more muted than last year. Still only Made for Alta CB shaft and the Tour. Can get Hzrdus yellow, KK Black and a 3rd shaft I cant remember for a small upcharge, think it wass 50 bucks maybe. Not a big fan of the Alta being counterbalanced as a standard shaft since most people will buy it and not having a clue about it until they start turning it over. Also no 70g shafts for the low upcharge, only 60+

Tested the regular and LST driver. LST will be available in a 8.5 and 10 head so finally something that will actually keep the ball down. Much more muted since the G LST sounded like breaking a window. Still not a fan of the whole dragonfly pattern but it did produce good numbers and a better feel than the G series. Same with shaft options as for fairways

Dont see why Ping has to be cheap with shafts, every other OEM lets you have a pick and try bunches of shafts for no upcharge but Ping wants more of your money. Start the driver off at a competitive somewhat low price but if you want a decent quality shaft you end up paying equal to or more than the others. Thats why I wont really consider Ping until they fix that

Looking forward to reviewing this driver. My current set up has been premium to say the least this year with 2 wins in 4 ball events and 2 runner ups. A T8 in area individual tournament and if not for poor putting could have had a chance. I'd be crazy to change heads since I recently (1.5 months ago) received a new head after a crack in the face on 1.5 year old LS appeared but will have to see if the 400 can better the G. Doubt it will be much better but will be going in with an open mind and my ccard just in case it is that much better. Hope the current G adaptor will work with the 400 as I already have the fitted shaft I need. Looking forward to the comparison.

I bought weights off eBay for like 20 bucks or something... had 8/12/14/16 gram weights. The Ping rep suggested I go with the something in the 10-11 gram area, so I started with the 8, then the 12... ended up with the 14 i believe.

Do you use the tool/key to unscrew the weight?, was it tough to take off?, I am thinking of trying different weights on my LST, thanks.

The previous weights came used a screw with the same kind of head as the one that holds the shaft in the clubhead, so you could just use the same wrench to take out the weight. They came out very easily. There are probably different aftermarket weights out there, but the ones I bought were metal and didn't have the plastic coating of the OEM weights, so it really affected the sound. I ended up using lead tape and a rubber washer under the weight to dampen the clanky sound.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Got a chance to hit the entire line this friday. Irons def got that same old Ping feel to them, Go for a mile but with lofts the way they are what else did I expect? Will have PX, DG and Nippon w/o upcharge

Crossover looks a lot better being in the same color as the irons and also got the hydropearl finish. A bit more slim that the current model. Both steel and graphite options w/o upcharge.

Fairway feels much better than the G. More square face that sits flush with the ground, easy to get the ball up even with the 3w turned down to 13.5. better sound, more muted than last year. Still only Made for Alta CB shaft and the Tour. Can get Hzrdus yellow, KK Black and a 3rd shaft I cant remember for a small upcharge, think it wass 50 bucks maybe. Not a big fan of the Alta being counterbalanced as a standard shaft since most people will buy it and not having a clue about it until they start turning it over. Also no 70g shafts for the low upcharge, only 60+

Tested the regular and LST driver. LST will be available in a 8.5 and 10 head so finally something that will actually keep the ball down. Much more muted since the G LST sounded like breaking a window. Still not a fan of the whole dragonfly pattern but it did produce good numbers and a better feel than the G series. Same with shaft options as for fairways

Dont see why Ping has to be cheap with shafts, every other OEM lets you have a pick and try bunches of shafts for no upcharge but Ping wants more of your money. Start the driver off at a competitive somewhat low price but if you want a decent quality shaft you end up paying equal to or more than the others. Thats why I wont really consider Ping until they fix that

Compare the new G irons to the i200 irons?

Anyone heard about the 9 wood that is going to be offered? Just checked the pro section on the Ping website and it looks to be 23.5 degree.

THAT would make me happy!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Anyone heard about the 9 wood that is going to be offered? Just checked the pro section on the Ping website and it looks to be 23.5 degree.

Start the happy dance!

PING G410 LST 9* (Weight neutral) - HZRDUS Black 6.5 
PING G410 14.5* LST - Tensei Pro Orange TX 70
PING Blueprint 3-Pw - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING Glide Forged (Ping Man stamps) - 50º/54º/58º - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING PLD Anser "Honey Badger"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

Start the happy dance!

:yahoo:

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Im torn! I want to replace my 5 year old Nike driver...Save money with current G driver or wait for G400. :dntknw: I cold always do something to paint over the blue..

I would wait. I'm a huge Ping fan boy but the sound of the G is still an issue for me. It is especially testy if you go to a covered range where they have two piece balls so my main hope is for a better sound

2 words, cotton balls...

I've ordered the G30 and G with 5-6 grams of hotmelt in the toe, and that seems to help sound. The LS does sound noticeably worse to me.

Anyone know if they will be releasing a 2 crossover

The loft on a 2 crossover would be like 15*

The 3 crossover is already a 2 iron loft. Same 18* as the "2" rapture DI from a few years ago.

I wish they would just stamp the loft on the sole of the club

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie

The 3 crossover is already a 2 iron loft. Same 18* as the "2" rapture DI from a few years ago.

The G400 #3 Crossover seems to have 19° of loft:

So, #4 at 22°, #3 at 19°... and #2, if there is one, at ~16°.

Hope there is one. Would be a good option for some players.

The G400 #3 Crossover seems to have 19° of loft:

So, #4 at 22°, #3 at 19°... and #2, if there is one, at ~16°.

Hope there is one. Would be a good option for some players.

Ah, I see now. I like that progression better than the original crossover. I had a three bent to 20* Still didn't work out because of the offset but I gave it a shot.

Making the 3 19 does open up the possibility of a 2. Maybe a tour only option anyway.

2019:
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Compare the new G irons to the i200 irons?

The 400 launch a touch higher but go around 10-15 yards longer, Less spin but not M2 low. Prefer the topline of the i200 but then again they are built with different level golfers in mind

Thanks 17-18 is what I'm looking for. Have an ad posted on the want to by for a rapture 2i. Thinking I should just wait for the new crossover.

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

Thanks 17-18 is what I'm looking for. Have an ad posted on the want to by for a rapture 2i. Thinking I should just wait for the new crossover.

Pretty sure I have a rapture with a speeder Ts in the garage if you get tired of waiting PM me.

My money is on ping not coming out with a retail 16-17* crossover but I've been wrong many many times before!

2019:
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

any body have a solid answer to the upgrade shafts? I want to preorder but cant get a definite answer on what shafts are being offered for the 40.00 increase. Really interested in the copper head any idea what that might cost to upgrade to.

Ping G430 Max 10K UST Lin-Q Black 6f5
Ping G430 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping 3 iCrossover Tour 2.0 S 
Ping Blueprint S 5-W UST Dart V 120 F5
Ping S159 50S 54S UST Daet V 120 F5

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime