2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping G400 Driver, Fairway Woods and Crossovers (Including Bubba's Custom Driver and 3 Wood): Shot at

GolfWRX

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dealers will have demos on July 10, First sale of drivers July 27, Fairways middle of August, no info on hybrids and crossovers sale date.. I guess assume July 27.

I hit a few balls with an LST. Sound not muted thunk like an Epic (SZ sounded better), but not as metallic as G30. Not annoying, but I guess I don't really know what a pleasing sound is..

Dealers will have demos on July 10, First sale of drivers July 27, Fairways middle of August, no info on hybrids and crossovers sale date.. I guess assume July 27.

I hit a few balls with an LST. Sound not mute dead like an Epic, but not as metallic as G30. Not annoying, but I guess I don't really know what a pleasing sound is..

Thank you. Its pleasing if its not annoying for me. I grew up on persimmon heads and balatas and much prefer the metallic feel. I've hit the muted drivers and find them annoying personally as they feel dead. Personnaly I didn't find the epic muted. The cobra ltd was muted and a turn off for me as it offered no feedback. Just my 2 cents. I think most would say the G LST was too loud, ironically enough the G was 2-3 bars quoted than the LS so I take it as good news if the 400ls is a little less than the G LS.

Driver is really good. Three wood is fantastic. Solid feel and bigger, with a deeper face than previous fairways.

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

Anyone know what the material is? Curious if getting into the composite game. But doesn't look like it. I've had all Ping drivers since the G15 except for i25. G has to be the shortest of them all for me. Been a Ping guy since I could swing a club, but hit the Epic and M2 on my home course and it's drastically longer than my Ping. Will wait for details before pulling any triggers though

The G400 is not a composite crown. Funny that you say "getting into" the composite game like its a new thing. Most major mfgrs, Ping included, have done the carbon fiber thing in years past and reverted back to ti or something else. Now that the current flagship Cally and TM drivers have carbon crowns everyone assumes its something special and everyone should "get into" it. Give it a couple of years and both of those mfgrs will drop carbon fiber in favor of new and innovative titanium crowns. Its a shell game they play to keep you buying "new" stuff.

Not sure why you're hitting the Epic or M2 "drastically" further than the G. Most head to head comparisons have them all within a couple of yards of each other. The more important factor is where are you hitting your second shot from with each of those clubs?

Cobra is all in on carbon fiber as well.

Why would you say that the manufacturers will be switching back to Ti for the crown? Carbon fiber can be way lighter, which is what you want in the crown. Old CF like was used in the Raptures was heavier and there wasn't much adavantage over titanium then. Different story now.

I really like PING and I root for them but they are missing the boat on crown materials in my opinion.

I wouldn't call it missing the boat, just taking a different boat. Not saying Ping won't come out with a CF crown eventually, but right now they don't need to "keep up with the Jones's" to keep up in performance and sales.

I'm saying the others will switch back after a couple of years because CF won't be new and sexy anymore, and they'll have to figure out a way to make their stuff appealing to keep sales going. I foresee some new ti alloy compound that is stronger and lighter coming along to displace carbon fiber, and the shell game will continue, while the actual performance will be about the same as it was 10 years ago. Meanwhile, R&D costs will need to be recouped, and that new technology will now cost you $600 instead of the current $500, while the others are staying at $400, with steady incremental improvements over time. Somehow Cobra has figured out how to make a composite driver for $350, not sure what they are doing or how they are doing it. It is curious that they are giving away free FWs or hybrids to get folks to buy their drivers, so take that for what its worth. Ricky seems to really like his stuff though. I play an F7 hybrid and its the shiz!

I'm not knocking CF or any other technology, just saying not all drivers need to be the same to be effective, and overlooking one for the other is just short-sighted. Carbon fiber is the thing right now, but we shouldn't assume anything not carbon fiber is somehow inferior.

Fair points. Thanks for elaborating.

I realize that no two swings are alike and so each person has different optimal launch/spin characteristics- I just think that right now carbon fiber seems to be the best material for the driver crown from a purely mass-placement standpoint.

I mean, the G crown was twice as heavy as the LTD. 12 grams more, which, according to Mr. Wishon would equate to 3-400 MOI points. Think how awesome the G would have been with that much higher MOI!

But yeah, PING know what they're doing and I'm sure the G400 will sell just like all their clubs have. And I want them to do well! Totally dig that they're family-owned.

Pretty sure Ping have the lightest adjustable tip which saves weight in other ways. From what I've read here there's a lot of people who have the carbon crown break or glue fails. Must cost Callaway a fair bit in replacing and shipping. Maybe Ping thinks it's not reliable to too expensive.

What's the size on this driver? Was hoping for a 440 ping

445 CC

Ping G430 10K 10.5 GD Tour AD DI 6 X Stiff 
Ping G430 SFT 3 Wood Tour AD DI 7 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood Tour 75 Stiff
Ping i530 5-UW Nippon Modus 105S

Ping s159 50/S, 56/W, 60/S Nippon Modus 105S
35 1/2” Ping PLD Mundy 

Wilson Staff Tour Model X

I wonder when we will see another price drop in the G line? I'm cheap and don't mind being a model or two behind the new releases.

Titleist TSi3 10° - Diamana R Series 60

Cobra Rad 14.5° - Diamana BlueForce 70

Cobra F9 18.5° - Diamana BlueForce 80
Taylormade P790 (4-9) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey 46F 50F 54S 58T - Nippon Modus 115
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

Driver is really good. Three wood is fantastic. Solid feel and bigger, with a deeper face than previous fairways.

sounds perfect and my next 3 wood :) do you know what shaft upgrades available? I did like the tour 80 (chrome elements i was told) in the G model.

Ping G400 Max / Speeder 661 Evo IV 
Sim Ti 3 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Cobra Radspeed 5 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Oven Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 / Modus3 105
Ping I210 5-U / Modus3 105
Vokey SM8 54D / Modus3 125

Vokey SM8 58 LBK / Modus3 125

Nike Origin Naked B2-01

Every OEM with a carbon crown (or RZN body) has had numerous documented failures of the crown and face separating.

Nike Vapor Flex 440, TM M series, Cally Epic they just split in half when the glue fails.

My theory is people leaving their clubs in their trunks all week. The extreme heating and cooling of the glue causes it to fail.

I bet most trunks get upwards of 150* in the summer.

If you leave your clubs in the trunk during the week they will heat up and cool down at least 5 times before you pull them out Saturday morning... not good for epoxy. Especially dangerous if you pull them out when hot and hit them right away.

Same thing happens with iron heads if left in a trunk all day in extreme heat.

I once watched a guy at the range launch two iron heads in succession. He was looking at his irons like "WTF?" then he started twisting another head and realized the epoxy was heated up to the point that they head was just spinning around. Ever since then I try to avoid leaving my clubs in the trunk in the heat, and if unavoidable, I at least check to make sure the clubs have cooled off before hitting them.

I don't know why. But, this is the only driver I'd actually pay full retail price for. No other driver has ever made feel this way.

I share your sentiment! ALL of the drivers I've owned have been bought used or at huge discounts thru friends. This is the only driver to date that I've said I might be willing to pay retail. Hence, I am counting down the days to July 10 when I can finally demo and see numbers. At least I have this to look forward to besides Game of Thrones! ?

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

Every OEM with a carbon crown (or RZN body) has had numerous documented failures of the crown and face separating.

Nike Vapor Flex 440, TM M series, Cally Epic they just split in half when the glue fails.

This is getting off track, but do you have numbers on the amount of failures of these multi-material drivers? What are we talking, 50%? 15%? 5?

I don't know why. But, this is the only driver I'd actually pay full retail price for. No other driver has ever made feel this way.

It's called marketing.

And it hasn't even been marketed yet.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I wonder when we will see another price drop in the G line? I'm cheap and don't mind being a model or two behind the new releases.

Bingo! There is another thread floating around about razr fit vs epic only 6 yd difference with 25 driver releases in that span. I can hear my dad telling me...again: "Save your money!"

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

a Clemson tiger, living in Auburn Alabama.... that must suck... haha

I was a Florida Gator living in Dallas Texas and Ruston, Louisiana for 20 years, and yes.. .it sucked.

So glad to be "home"

I personally cannot wait until the new toys are out. I hope the Ping Rep won't forget about me at my little bumpkin town country club and bring me a Demo to try.... I mean he knows I am going to buy the damn thing... He knows.....

LS model, with some extra weight....yeah... thats the one...

Bingo! There is another thread floating around about razr fit vs epic only 6 yd difference with 25 driver releases in that span. I can hear my dad telling me...again: "Save your money!"

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Something something something, nike driver...

Do you know if there will be additional weights available... I had to add a 12G weight to my LS to get it "right" launch wise... Rogue Silver felt amazing, but launched to low... Black, didn't feel as good, or give me the results. 12G weight brought the ball up.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

It's called marketing.

Yet, Ping hasn't said a word about this driver. All they've done is allow it to be played at the US Open.

They don't need to say a word. They have Bubba on Twitter and people like us on here to do their work for them. Buzz marketing.