Ping G400 Driver, Fairway Woods and Crossovers (Including Bubba's Custom Driver and 3 Wood): Shot at

GolfWRX

Funny, when I set up, I don't see it. Maybe it's just me...? :)

It's not just you. I don't see it either. I just see a very forgiving driver that will make up for my lack skills.

I spoke to our fitter last night. People don't realize what PING has done yet. They're going the other way with size, but keeping all the same characteristics of the G in s better sounding and feeling package. The 445cc head is going to be much easier to square up. Having the common man version and the LS deeper version is going to be tremendous. I'm really glad I came back to PING and look forward to flipping my bag next year!

Are you saying the LS head is a deeper faced version? Rather than just having the weight adjusted to lower spin?

I hope so, because I hit my longest drives with deeper faced drivers (I tend to hit up on them more), but I'm wayyyy straighter with the longer front/back ala G30. I could see like a 50% bag flip as soon as these are released.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, when I set up, I don't see it. Maybe it's just me...? :)

It's not just you. I don't see it either. I just see a very forgiving driver that will make up for my lack skills.

I spoke to our fitter last night. People don't realize what PING has done yet. They're going the other way with size, but keeping all the same characteristics of the G in s better sounding and feeling package. The 445cc head is going to be much easier to square up. Having the common man version and the LS deeper version is going to be tremendous. I'm really glad I came back to PING and look forward to flipping my bag next year!

Are you saying the LS head is a deeper faced version? Rather than just having the weight adjusted to lower spin?

I hope so, because I hit my longest drives with deeper faced drivers (I tend to hit up on them more), but I'm wayyyy straighter with the longer front/back ala G30. I could see like a 50% bag flip as soon as these are released.

It's a "little" deeper. Not DEEP, because forgiveness is still the name of the game...with just less spin. :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

The crown is a bit too Wilson Staff for me. TM have proven there is no need for that nonsense on the crown.

Wait, a crown that's 1/3 white and 2/3 black carbon fiber is the example of a plain crown?

He's talking about the turbulators, dimples, dragonfly, etc

I'm not saying that the Ping crown doesn't have a lot going on, but TMAG seems like an odd example of a plain look. I could understand using Titleist as an example, but M1/M2 would not be among the driver crowns I'd think of as being unadorned.

What TM driver has rubbish like that all over the crown?? Granted the AB had a fin on the hosel, but I don't think they've had anything as bad as that? Titelist don't, Callaway don't, PXG don't, Cobra don't. Supposed to focus on your strike, looking down at that you'd wonder what the kindergarten class did to your club.

The crown is a bit too Wilson Staff for me. TM have proven there is no need for that nonsense on the crown.

Wait, a crown that's 1/3 white and 2/3 black carbon fiber is the example of a plain crown?

I'm not saying that the Ping crown doesn't have a lot going on, but TMAG seems like an odd example of a plain look. I could understand using Titleist as an example, but M1/M2 would not be among the driver crowns I'd think of as being unadorned.

What TM driver has rubbish like that all over the crown?? Granted the AB had a fin on the hosel, but I don't think they've had anything as bad as that? Titelist don't, Callaway don't, PXG don't, Cobra don't. Supposed to focus on your strike, looking down at that you'd wonder what the kindergarten class did to your club.

Well, the R1 posted earlier was an extreme example, and I find the two-tone look of the M1/M2 to be very distracting (my eyes want to follow the head as I take it back). I've gound that the fins/dragonfly stuff doesn't provide such a distraction, though I don't necessarily love the look.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I think Bubba's driver looks great for a change.

Anyone know why PING is still using Ti for the crown instead of CF or a lighter weight metal like magnesium? If they did they wouldn't likely need the dragonfly stuff, and maybe wouldn't alienate a certain set of golfers that care about a muted look. I'm not one of those people, btw.

Even with the dragonfly stuff their crowns in the past have been relatively heavy compared to carbon fiber.

Because for CF, it's been-there-done-that with the OG Rapture! Lol.

I bet they don't because it increases production costs which hurts the business case. And CF isn't necessarily lighter than Ti.

That was my guess as well. Profit margin.

According to that other site that measured crown weights by cuttin' 'em off, the G crown was double that of the LTD (24 vs 12). Certainly some room for improvement from a weight standpoint.

OK, so you don't like the look of Ping drivers, and that's OK. I like the look a lot, and I like the performance.

I look down at my G 12-13 times a round and find ZERO distraction with the turbulators and dragonfly stuff.

I tried the M2 and find my eye tends to follow that white section, which is VERY distracting to me.

Either way, using any TM driver since the R1 as a benchmark for rubbish on the crown is just laughable.

If YOU prefer a plain gloss black crown that's fine, I just don't understand coming into a discussion to profess your dislike for anything that doesn't have that.

I don't like white cars, but I don't go round bashing cars that are white, I just don't buy them.

Man I wish that crossover could be had without a mile of offset. The current one as well.

Cobra F9 Atmos Black 7X
Titleist 917 F2 15 Speeder 757X
Titleist 816 H2 19 Diamana S+ 90X
Ben Hogan Ft Worth HI 22 TIX100 AMT SS1X
Ben Hogan FW15 26-46 TIX100 AMT SS1X
TM Hi Toe 50, 54 (55), 58 (60) X100 SS2X
Scotty Cameron

Wonder how many of the ping staff are putting these in the bag for the weekend?

When is Ping going to bring out the details?

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I like the crossovers, big improvement

As far as the woods, head design and shape is awesome! Especially the fairway woods. The turbulators ruin it for me though. Drop it and just matte black it and you have a winner.

I hear you but I have not said this about a release of any brand in a while, if the sound & feel are not just better but greatly improved when I demo them then I will buy 1 of each item in these photos.

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1

Curious to hear more about the even more improved MOI. Pings are already at the head of the class in forgiveness and hearing its even better than before, if so wow.

The 445 head should create even faster ball speeds and if even greater accuracy then I'll be amazed that they could improve the last 2 series.

My biggest hope is a better sound out of this version. The LS is simply annoying to most.

I'll be interested to see where these land in terms of launch/spin vs the G/G30 series.

The LS has never been super low spin, but the weight is moved up quite a bit compared to the past. Wondering if the standard model and LS models have spin further reduced and they leave the SF model to have a greater difference.

I'm a member of the turbulators ok, dragonfly meh club, but that doesn't mean I won't try it.

Shoes?!?

And G400 driver.

Must be a new version of the G/Fore shoes.

Just a coincidence?

Winner winner! :cheesy:

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Color scheme is bad. Why did they go back to the G10 rust look. Sticking with my all blue G series set-up.

Really??? There's a copper weight and a small copper G on the sole. That's it.The rest of the club is black/grey. Then again, I do remember the outrage over the thin blue stripe on the i E1 irons and people refusing to give them a shot because of that. Personally, I love the copper. I take it as a nod to the state of Arizona.

Color scheme is bad. Why did they go back to the G10 rust look. Sticking with my all blue G series set-up.

giphy.gif

The weight is the only color on the whole thing...

Thought the shaft was copper too? Looks that way on the crossover. Well if you like a vintage look with new technology. Not knocking the technology at all. I have the G irons, hybrids, wedges and driver. I have been using Ping since the G10 so not a Ping hater. Just underwhelmed with the color scheme. Bubbas driver looks sweet with the color scheme. They should have done something like that for the public release with a color.

Anyone know of a possible release date on the Driver and woods..?

per another poster-

Fitting/demo stuff July 10, in hands and stores July 27

Dang, I was planning on making appt with Ping for a fitting around the 30th, Im going to be 10 days too soon! Does anyone know when you can put in a custom order? Im wondering if you won't be able to order one until the 27th or if they can order it early July to be delivered around the 27th.

Titleist T150 Irons

Titleist U505 4 Utility
Titleist Tsi2 Driver
Ping G425 5 Wood
Ping G425 7 Wood
Titleist SM9 48, 54, 58 Wedges
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11

If the shafts are copper colored are we going to have flashbacks to the TM Bubble clubs ?

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

giphy.gif

The weight is the only color on the whole thing...

And that maybe you could torch so it looks like Bubba's

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x