Titleist 905R ... resurgence of the BEST DRIVER EVER!!!

Titleist-Golfer

I tried the 917 and couldn't get it to perform any better than the 913 or 905r either. I'm a Titleist fan but I prefer these older models in all areas. I think the reality is, most people will not get fit and the older Titleist drivers seem to perform right off the shelf. The newer models seem to need more tinkering to maximize results and it's just not something the normal person is going to want to spend money on.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I'd be curious to see some trackman numbers from a group of players to see if the objective performance is even close to today's tech....I would imagine not. However, golf is not an objective sport, so whatever works for your feel/eye is what you've got to play!

Good luck man!

Sounds like you should watch Rick Shields 5+yr Titleist test.

Yes the 905 was included. Basically the 917 is the longest. 905 wasn't the shortest either and wasn't that far back of 917.

here is a link with the vaunted 905....an underwhelming smash factor of 1.39. If you equate that to what today's drivers produce (1.48-49) its about 10 mph more in ball speed and that's at least 15 yds. Don't even need to mention forgiveness or accuracy.

Also in the Shiels video the 917 outperforms the 910 by 11 yards and it flies straighter. Not sure thats a good defense for old tech...its not as good. That's inarguable.

I know about that video...I totally agree that that 905 can hold its own against its newer ancestors today but you gave the impression that Shiels tested the 905 against other drivers in his own video...others would agree with me as well..

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I'd be curious to see some trackman numbers from a group of players to see if the objective performance is even close to today's tech....I would imagine not. However, golf is not an objective sport, so whatever works for your feel/eye is what you've got to play!

Good luck man!

Yes the 905 was included. Basically the 917 is the longest. 905 wasn't the shortest either and wasn't that far back of 917.

here is a link with the vaunted 905....an underwhelming smash factor of 1.39. If you equate that to what today's drivers produce (1.48-49) its about 10 mph more in ball speed and that's at least 15 yds. Don't even need to mention forgiveness or accuracy.

Also in the Shiels video the 917 outperforms the 910 by 11 yards and it flies straighter. Not sure thats a good defense for old tech...its not as good. That's inarguable.

I know about that video...but you gave the impression that Shiels tested the 905 against other drivers...and others agree with me as well..

No, that was someone else who originally posted the Shiels video is response to my asking about objective data. And the fact that other people agree does not make a difference to the fact that the 905 just isn't as good when it comes to the data as today's options. My original comment was that, subjectively, the 905 may be the best driver because YOU may hit it better than anything else. However, don't kid yourself into thinking it is the best club when it comes to producing consistent numbers for more golfers. It's just too old to compete. If it works, keep playing it. But some have suggested it is somehow a unicorn in the industry and still outperforms today's stuff.

The ability to work the ball consistently is what draws me to a golf club, especially a driver. The newer drivers are terrific if a straight shot is what I am looking for. These drivers seem to want to hit the ball straight and high. My natural shot flight is straight to a mid/high draw. I have difficulties in hitting amounts of fade with the newer drivers compared to smaller headed older drivers, like the 905S (not 905R). I am not a fan of biasing a driver to produce a shot. I want a driver to sit square or slightly open at address. The newer drivers (913, 915 and 917) may hit the ball a bit farther than the 905S (maybe 10 yards) but distance is not what I need. Accuracy and confidence in the workability of a driver is what I want, demand. I tried the 915 and really didn't like it. My 905T performed almost as well and the 905S performed better, both in terms of being able to work a golf ball left, right, high and low. I am also longer with the 905S than the 915 D3. To me the newer drivers offer larger sweet spots which allow for great results for mishits. A driver like the 905 series require a bit more consistent swing on the sweet spot to produce the same results. At the end of the day a better and repeatable swing is better suited to a driver like the 905 series.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

There's lots of players who don't benefit from a "max forgiving driver", because they don't have an impact pattern that is all over the face. A good design from a decade or so ago...is not "too old to compete" for a lot of players.

If you can hit a small fairway wood on the button most of the time, there's really no reason you couldn't do that with a 350-400cc driver head....or what today would be considered a "smaller" driver. They're not really small at all

Good luck man!

I know about that video...but you gave the impression that Shiels tested the 905 against other drivers...and others agree with me as well..

No, that was someone else who originally posted the Shiels video is response to my asking about objective data. And the fact that other people agree does not make a difference to the fact that the 905 just isn't as good when it comes to the data as today's options. My original comment was that, subjectively, the 905 may be the best driver because YOU may hit it better than anything else. However, don't kid yourself into thinking it is the best club when it comes to producing consistent numbers for more golfers. It's just too old to compete. If it works, keep playing it. But some have suggested it is somehow a unicorn in the industry and still outperforms today's stuff.

I wouldn't say it outperforms todays stuff but numbers show it isn't far behind if it is at all. Being a bore through makes it very tough to test apples to apples but it obviously performs with a certain number of shafts and CAN hang with a lot of todays offerings. I think it says a lot for what it actually was at its time. I have tried a lot of drivers over the last couple years and although it may not be as long as some, it is definitely more forgiving and easier to work both ways. It has a lot going for it for such an old model and with a spin reducing shaft fit for the right person, I think this driver does compete with todays toys.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Well I've done enough on course comparisons now to say that the M2 is performance wise a superior club in every measurable category. Launch monitors are helpful, but the reality is you are hitting a lot of different kinds of shots in changing conditions under stress when you're playing a meaningful round of golf.

I rarely play a casual round of golf where there's nothing significant on the line so I'll continue to play with my M2. But on the odd Friday when I get out I'm going to start playing with my backup bag. It's fun, nostalgic, and frankly my old clubs just feel better. 905R driver 909F 3 wood. MP-33

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

There's lots of players who don't benefit from a "max forgiving driver", because they don't have an impact pattern that is all over the face. A good design from a decade or so ago...is not "too old to compete" for a lot of players.

If you can hit a small fairway wood on the button most of the time, there's really no reason you couldn't do that with a 350-400cc driver head....or what today would be considered a "smaller" driver. They're not really small at all

Exactly! I wonder how many people can play the old Titleist PT series 3 woods, Titleist 970 3 Wood or even the 906 F2 3 woods? I love these and game the 970 or 906 F2. Still hit them pretty pure. These clubs demand a good repeating swing.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 2 months later...

Just dropped my 905R off at my local golf shop for a much needed shaft upgrade. Bought a new Diamana D+ 70g shaft off of DallasGolf for dirt cheap. Cannot wait for the weather to warm up to play with that bad boy.

Interested to hear how this works out for you... Let us know!

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Went from 905S 8.5 w/ V2 76x to a 910D3 8.5 w/ Fuji 7.2x TS to 17M2 10.5 w/ Atmos Black 6x. I don’t change drivers much and center strike to center strike, the 905 is still as long as my M2. The off center is where it struggles and why the M2 is in the bag now. Still the best looking driver I’ve ever owned and I could still bring it out and and play it were I feeling frisky. I bring it to the range on occasion for nostalgia sake...

TaylorMade M5 10.5* Atmos Black 6x TS
TaylorMade M5 15* Pro 2.0 7x
915Hd 2H & 3H Speeder 904HB X
TaylorMade P790, 4-P DG 105 Stiff
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50SB, 54SB, 60 Hi Toe
TaylorMade DJ Spider 34" UST Frequency Filtered
TP5X

If I had one round left to play for my life I'd grab my old 43 1/2" 975d bore through dynamic gold steel x1 tipped 3/4''. I remember I used to think driving the ball was the easiest part until I got on the technology-distance-marketing train. The 917 is good for distance and pretty accurate but man I remember guys would try to distract me on the tee box by coughing, tossing stuff at my feet, all in good fun just to see if I'd miss a fairway. And where I play, you better hit fairway or its a punch shot under branches. Wasnt the longest driver but infinitely more consistent for me than anything before or since. The whole I key, Ive always felt, was the headweight. It came used with a cheap graphite shaft so when I put a heavy steel one in it I had to backweight the hell out of it just to get down to a D2. Also the only driver other than persimmon that I still own, and there have been quite a few :) I wont argue that the modern forgiveness levels are better and distance of course (cough ball cough) being better but man thats the way a driver was supposed to perform.

Awesome driver, think I might need to break it out over the weekend and give it a hit just for old times sake.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I still have a 905R that I bought new many years ago. I switched to to the 910, 913, and then the 915. They were all good drivers, but I knew that my longest drives on holes that I play all the time were when I was playing the 905R.

Even though I still have the club it wont be going in the bag anytime soon. I played the Epic sub zero all last year. and it was more forgiving, and longer than I ever hit the 905R.

I still have a 905R that I bought new many years ago. I switched to to the 910, 913, and then the 915. They were all good drivers, but I knew that my longest drives on holes that I play all the time were when I was playing the 905R.

Even though I still have the club it wont be going in the bag anytime soon. I played the Epic sub zero all last year. and it was more forgiving, and longer than I ever hit the 905R.

I usually play an Aeroburner, but I was tired of it. Nothing particularly special about it. I didn't want to shell out the money for a new driver, so I feel like for the $175 that I've put into the 905 R it's a great deal. Honestly will probably perform better than my Aeroburner too.

• 2 weeks later...

Was finally able to play with my reshafted 905. Honestly, I think it is the most solid driver I have ever played with. The feel is second to none and there was no discernible drop off in distance from the Aeroburner I have. After an all in of $175, I’m extremely extremely pleased with going back to the 905. Here are some pics of the final product.

Putting my 905r back in play tmw. Hit it against my 917d3 and there really is zero difference in distance. It’s crazy, it just wants to go straight. Curious to see how it compares in my home course when the ball comes to rest...

As far as reshafting, who has cut a shaft and drilled it out instead of dealing with the bore thru? How easy/difficult is this?

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Putting my 905r back in play tmw. Hit it against my 917d3 and there really is zero difference in distance. It’s crazy, it just wants to go straight. Curious to see how it compares in my home course when the ball comes to rest...

This was what I noticed right away. I played 9 and only missed one fairway, which for me is unreal. There’s just a certain confidence that the 905 imparts that allows my swing to free up.

I was inspired by this thread to keep an eye out and found a 905T for $20 (came with a Harrison Striper Tour shaft, never had heard of one before...). Most of you are seeing very little difference in distance but I noticed a drop in distance between my SLDR gamer and the 905T. The dispersion is much tighter, keeping a few more balls in the fairway. I'm opting to give up some distance for the accuracy, but wonder why I've not kept up the yardage? The 905T at address does seem more square (I think I read that SLDR is 2* open) and upright (toe looks up vs. SLDR) so not sure if that is something I can/should look to adjust on my SLDR.....

Cobra LTDx LS (10.5°)

Titleist TS2 (15°)

TaylorMade r9 (19°)

Cleveland 588 MB (4-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM8 (52° & 58°)

Odyssey Black #2m CS

I was inspired by this thread to keep an eye out and found a 905T for $20 (came with a Harrison Striper Tour shaft, never had heard of one before...). Most of you are seeing very little difference in distance but I noticed a drop in distance between my SLDR gamer and the 905T. The dispersion is much tighter, keeping a few more balls in the fairway. I'm opting to give up some distance for the accuracy, but wonder why I've not kept up the yardage? The 905T at address does seem more square (I think I read that SLDR is 2* open) and upright (toe looks up vs. SLDR) so not sure if that is something I can/should look to adjust on my SLDR.....

Sldr is one of the lowest spinning heads made, capable of producing some massive drives when your on. Also was of the most unforgiving heads, classic of a low spin driver. If you can get the spin rate on the 905 down a bit you will gain a few yards. I find low torque tip stiff shafts work awesome in the 983 and 905 series. Its not going to be an ultra low spin machine like the sldr. The 905 will sit flatter than the sldr in the standard position I believe the lie angle is 57 or 58 on the 905. You would need to set the sldr to the lowest setting to get anywere near that, this also opens the face quite a bit.

Sldr is one of the lowest spinning heads made, capable of producing some massive drives when your on. Also was of the most unforgiving heads, classic of a low spin driver. If you can get the spin rate on the 905 down a bit you will gain a few yards. I find low torque tip stiff shafts work awesome in the 983 and 905 series. Its not going to be an ultra low spin machine like the sldr. The 905 will sit flatter than the sldr in the standard position I believe the lie angle is 57 or 58 on the 905. You would need to set the sldr to the lowest setting to get anywere near that, this also opens the face quite a bit.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely research some shaft options. I do have a 910 D2 in the garage, I stopped playing it and gave it to my dad when I made the terrible mistake of letting him hit it, only to have it returned with a dummy mark. But as I'm getting older, the aesthetics are less meaningful and the search for making golf a little easier seems to be the way to go. Your take on the 905 vs 910? 910 has proforcev2 76g

Cobra LTDx LS (10.5°)

Titleist TS2 (15°)

TaylorMade r9 (19°)

Cleveland 588 MB (4-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM8 (52° & 58°)

Odyssey Black #2m CS

For me, the drop of is negligible. Maybe 5 yards on off center hits but actually further when I hit it solid. I played an Aeroburner before this so I can’t speak for comparing it to Epic/M2, but for me the switch has been more than what I could’ve asked for.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely research some shaft options. I do have a 910 D2 in the garage, I stopped playing it and gave it to my dad when I made the terrible mistake of letting him hit it, only to have it returned with a dummy mark. But as I'm getting older, the aesthetics are less meaningful and the search for making golf a little easier seems to be the way to go. Your take on the 905 vs 910? 910 has proforcev2 76g

For me I own several 910 d2 heads all tour issued and other than adjustability performance was the same as my 905r. The 910d2 is more forgiving on mishits especially than the 905T but you wont see a big difference on centre strikes or numbers that match the sldr on centre strikes. Hard to beat the 910d2 for accuracy and feel if thats what your after. 905r is a great combo of accuracy and distsnce without adjustability. The 905t will be much less forgiving on mishits as its only 400cc.