Titleist 905R ... resurgence of the BEST DRIVER EVER!!!

Titleist-Golfer

Loved the sound/feel/look of the 905R. It certainly is up there among the best drivers ever (including R510TP, mentioned previously in this thread) but I think that it probably spins too much for most compared to the newer stuff. Mine got replaced by a Bio Cell+ which was quite a bit longer. To be fair, the BC+ is also one of the best drivers I've ever hit.

Srixon Z545
Srixon F45
Adams Super Hybrid 20° (Tour issue)
Mizuno Mp-15 4-pw
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 RAW 52/56/60
Odyssey Versa O-Works 1W

Whiteboard 73 was a great shaft for me too, had it paired with a 909D3. Great combo, probably plays anl lot like yours. Congrats

Me too - genuinely the longest driver I ever owned - then I sold it on eBay like a mug to get the 'latest and greatest'

Ping G425 LST 10.5* Tour 65 S
Ping G425 Max 14.5* Tour 75 S
Ping G425 Hybrids 19*/22* Tour 85 S
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW DG 120 S400
Mizuno T20 Raw 50,54,58 DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron Phantom x 5 34"

Whiteboard 73 was a great shaft for me too, had it paired with a 909D3. Great combo, probably plays anl lot like yours. Congrats

Me too - genuinely the longest driver I ever owned - then I sold it on eBay like a mug to get the 'latest and greatest'

did the exact same thing, thats where being a club ho had its disadvanatges.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Great driver. Used to bomb mine with Aldila NV green stiff.

Loved that fairway wood you got in there as well!

Funny how I read this thread yesterday and today I played with some new members at our club and one them was a 22 year old and he had that driver in his bag, with that green shaft, and yeh he bombed it pretty well, not very forgiving if he missed it a bit but I talked to him about it and well, he just loves that driver.

This is really interesting.

Does anyone have an objective review of an older driver (905R for example) against '17 hot drivers? Obviously this 905R combo is a better fit for OP, but I'd love to know what ball speed numbers are across multiple testers (or a robot) compared to new drivers. Something tells me, on average, new is better than 10 years old.

I have done loads of testing with my 905r. I have a pretty good stable of newer drivers and high end shafts that I have.

Last weekend I put my 905r with a tensei pro white 60tx up against my m2 (60x w series) 915d4 60x b series, cobra ltd pro 60x ahina, r11 dot head 73x wb. 282 superquad 7.2 ts x motore speeder.

Ballspeed is all I can measure the m2, 282 and r11 dot, d4 were 164mph. The ltd pro was 163mph the 905r was 166mph consistently and I got one to 167mph. My ss is 110-113mph. So yes ballspeed hasn't gone up for me at all with new equipment I have a few different generations that I tested. Toll bros has a data comparison coming out from older to newer heads that I'm interested in reading. Spin rates on the newer stuff are defenately lower but ballspeed hasn't moved much from my testing.

these are all over ebay for $20

To get a fine example, you will have to pay upwards of $60. Pretty cheap for one of the best drivers of all time. Not saying everyone is going to do better with this driver, but those who have one in the garage, may want to give it another whirl. Those who are trying to build a set for the office or travel, or have a son who wants a set, this is probably THE best driver you can buy for less than $60 on the planet. Just get a decent shaft and new grip. It's a monster.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

A buddy of mine is still rocking his 905R with the Titleist Speeder shaft. I played this driver for a long time with the stock V2 shaft and a Blueboard 63. Loved it, but the new drives just spin less for me resulting in more distance. Played a round with him a couple of weeks ago and hit the 905R on a few holes just to experience the solid feel again. I would definitely have one as a back up or a second bag driver.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

• 2 weeks later...

I used my 905R with the V2 until this year when I finally broke down and bought a 915D2. The D2 is definitely an upgrade, but I still might put the 905R back in there eventually.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

• 3 weeks later...

Well I took the bait on this. Geez. I found one in someone's garage. They had all kinds of stuff (old stuff). It's in really good shape and oddly has the Tour Spec Speeder in it, not the Made for shaft. So I went and had a grip put on it and decided to put it on a launch monitor against the new Titleist. I'm playing an M2 so I haven't hit it against that yet. But basically if it performs on the golf course like it did on the launch monitor I'll be putting the TM away for now. I had one of these for several years and eventually just moved on. But it is truly a great feeling great looking golf club. What really shocked me was the fact that I really saw no difference in ball speed, spin rate, or dispersion between the two. Makes me feel like a total sucker lol! I'm sure it's likely I hit the TM a little further as I've found it to be longer than the new Titleist. But I don't expect to see a big difference. I'll update next week after playing a round with it.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

• 1 month later...

Absolutely love mine. I have not moved on, at least not this time around. Had I stuck with my original 905R with V2 back in the day, I would have saved myself probably $5-6k in drivers over the years. The 905R is THE BEST performance per dollar driver on the used market, and it is my humble opinion that it still stacks up with the TM 16 M2 and 17 stuff. I had both. It is better than 917D3 for sure.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

• 1 month later...

905R is truly a classic. Back in the day it was point and shoot. I have struggled with the driver ever since. Like most of you I have just about owned them all and here is my experience. The new stuff is longer because it spins less but they don't feel good to hit and you can't tell where on the club face you hit it. I think the 905r was so popular because after a while you could get a feel for it and at the time it was just as long as anything else. For me if I can't feel through the club what happened then my mind kinda stays confused and I never seem to get it figured it. I would love to have another 905r I have so many great memories with it. That's what dad had in the bag when I started playing again and he could really swing that thing. 905r what a driver.

905R is truly a classic. Back in the day it was point and shoot. I have struggled with the driver ever since. Like most of you I have just about owned them all and here is my experience. The new stuff is longer because it spins less but they don't feel good to hit and you can't tell where on the club face you hit it. I think the 905r was so popular because after a while you could get a feel for it and at the time it was just as long as anything else. For me if I can't feel through the club what happened then my mind kinda stays confused and I never seem to get it figured it. I would love to have another 905r I have so many great memories with it. That's what dad had in the bag when I started playing again and he could really swing that thing. 905r what a driver.

There are plenty of these on eBay and for pretty decent prices. I prefer the profile of the 905S and have two (gamer and backup both with updated shafts).

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I love this thread.... I have a 905r V2 76g in the garage and I can't think about getting rid of it... I have been through many other but still, that one stays. Can't help but wonder if I should just game it and sell the others so I can put my kids though college.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

905R UST V2 was the club that got me hooked on the game. Amazing club

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

I'd be curious to see some trackman numbers from a group of players to see if the objective performance is even close to today's tech....I would imagine not. However, golf is not an objective sport, so whatever works for your feel/eye is what you've got to play!

Good luck man!

Sounds like you should watch Rick Shields 5+yr Titleist test.

Yes the 905 was included. Basically the 917 is the longest. 905 wasn't the shortest either and wasn't that far back of 917.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

I'd be curious to see some trackman numbers from a group of players to see if the objective performance is even close to today's tech....I would imagine not. However, golf is not an objective sport, so whatever works for your feel/eye is what you've got to play!

Good luck man!

Yes the 905 was included. Basically the 917 is the longest. 905 wasn't the shortest either and wasn't that far back of 917.

The 905 wasn't tested in that video, the oldest driver tested was the 910...if you think I'm wrong, show me where it is tested.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Good luck man!

The 905 wasn't tested in that video, the oldest driver tested was the 910...if you think I'm wrong, show me where it is tested.

This is true, and I was so hoping he would throw it in there just for fun. I think it was easier for him to just do a better comparison test since he could swap the same shaft in each head, but I still would love to see how the 905r stacks up. Golfbidder did a test up to the 913 where the 905r actually had the longest carry out of the group, pretty interesting.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Had one back in the day, and remembered having one of the best driving rounds in my life. Had it matched up with an Graf Blue x. Would prob give it another shot again, if the price was right!

This^^^^^^

If someone told me I had to play a 905 with a blue X in it, I'd still be a happy camper to this day.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Good luck man!

This is true, and I was so hoping he would throw it in there just for fun. I think it was easier for him to just do a better comparison test since he could swap the same shaft in each head, but I still would love to see how the 905r stacks up. Golfbidder did a test up to the 913 where the 905r actually had the longest carry out of the group, pretty interesting.

I would pay money to see Shiels pit the 905R against those newer drivers...

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

[quote name=aabcuue'

timestamp='1511601891' post='16478354]

Good luck man!

I would pay money to see Shiels pit the 905R against those newer drivers...

I have along with my local assistant pro and titleist would not be happy with the result of the 915 and 917. Absolutely no difference and feel of the 905 is much better. Although determining variable is the 905r was a tour issued model that had a w series diamana 60x 917 had a 757 tour spec x. Hell I cant get the 917 d2 to outperform my 983e with a flowerband white oard.

Good luck man!

here is a link with the vaunted 905....an underwhelming smash factor of 1.39. If you equate that to what today's drivers produce (1.48-49) its about 10 mph more in ball speed and that's at least 15 yds. Don't even need to mention forgiveness or accuracy.

Also in the Shiels video the 917 outperforms the 910 by 11 yards and it flies straighter. Not sure thats a good defense for old tech...its not as good. That's inarguable.