Titleist 905R ... resurgence of the BEST DRIVER EVER!!!

Titleist-Golfer

You had me until the 975-f, haha.

In all seriousness, that's an awesome bag apart from that fairway. We all had 'em but there are many, many, many alternative fairways that have come and gone that would fit better and out-perform a 975, IMHO.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Let me start out by saying I have been forever in search of the "The Driver". In my quest, I have tried pretty much them all including: 915D4, 915D3, 910D3, 913D3, 917D3, 913D2, 16M2, 16M2 tour issue, 17M2, Epic, Epic SZ, and many more, but nothing is even close to the performance of the venerable 905R. I just don't understand how this can be true. By the way, I have also tried every driver shaft under the sun including: Rogue 125MSI 60TX, 70TX, even 50Tx, Every Diamana 'ahina, ADDI6X, ADGP6X, ADBB6X, HZRDUS T1100 65 6.5, HZRDUS Black 6.5, Yellow 6.5,

So, I remembered some great times I had with a 905R and then read some positive things about them on GolfWRX, recalling a lot of heyday from posts on here and decided to turn back the clock and build another 905R for my game today. I started by looking for the "most pristine" example of 905R available ... looked for 9.5, but found a 10.5* on 2nd Swing Golf for something like $69. Came with Graphite Design YS-6+ stiff, which was ok, but found (here on GolfWRX) a "Ricky Fowler Orange" Whiteboard 73 x5ct X flex driver shaft for $75 (a steal). Took to GolfMart here in Santa Rosa to get the reshaft done, but they were afraid of breaking the aluminum hosel insert, so they refused to do the work. I then took it to Strong's Golf Service (a local repair shop), and they cut the YS-6+ at the hosel, drilled out the blind bore 1.5" and inserted the orange Whiteboard (exactly as it came from the GolfWRX seller - tip was prepped perfectly (shaft immaculate) ... resulting in a perfectly, spot-on 45.5" driver. Strong's did an amazing job ... the club looks amazing, but how would it play? Or, before that, I also realized recently that I was less "hooky" with the driver if I used a MCC+4 grip with 2 wraps (fattening the grip a tad), so I headed back to GolfMart, where they installed the grip for me. Time to try it out ... of course after the required 24 hours of epoxy dry time. It was hard to wait.

After work today, went to Foxtail Golf Course in Rohnert Park, CA, since it was on my way home and they have two 18 hole courses. I teed off at around 5:45pm. First drive was a bombing high draw starting down the right side and curving back into the fairway and following the gentle dogleg left. The hole was 423yds from the tips and I was left with around 110 to the middle of the green (wow!). I won't go through all of the holes, but suffice it to say ... I hit more fairways than normal and my drives were L-O-N-G, finding places on the course I have never been. I was hitting 5 irons into par 5s, wedges into par 4s, and hitting from the short grass, which was incredibly exciting. I have had honeymoon drivers before, but this didn't feel that way at all. With some drivers, I have had to manipulate something, like with the 16M2, I had to play the ball just outside my left toe to strike on upswing to get best numbers. This thing, I just put the ball where comfortable, left my hands where comfortable and ripped bombing, fairway-finding drives, one after the other. Dare I tempt the golf gods and say it was "easy"? Every ball felt trapped, each hit SO HARD with a high draw. I am so excited to get back out tomorrow after work (love summer solstice with sunset around 9pm) for another round of long ball.

THIS IS THE LONGEST, MOST ACCURATE DRIVER I HAVE EVER OWNED. Period.

What I have into this one: $69 head, $75 shaft, $25 reshaft labor, $14 grip with labor for a grand total of $183, wow!

Bag with T-MB 2i ADDI 95X

Bag with 975F 14.5 Rombax 8Z08

Protecting my most valued club with a nice Scotty Cameron headcover!

Yeah easily one of best drivers Titleist had made next to 910. My 905 with Grafalloy Blue one of best driver shaft combos Ive played.

I'd be curious to see some trackman numbers from a group of players to see if the objective performance is even close to today's tech....I would imagine not. However, golf is not an objective sport, so whatever works for your feel/eye is what you've got to play!

Good luck man!

Cant think tech would be that much different COR at .83 for many years. Only diff I would see is shaft tech.

It's fun watching people debate drivers when it's such an easy decision for me.

I can't hit any of them!

Not if I want to find the ball and hit a second shot.

Driving with my longest fairway wood (or a driving iron on tight holes) saves me at least four shots a round, but sometimes more.

It also takes away the fun of spending a lifetime looking for "the" driver, however. I'm a little jealous.

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Absolutely loved the 905R! I got one when it first came out with the NV 65 Green. I had several of them over the years and it seemed to be the driver I always went back to. Had one with a Diamana blueboard 63, Proforce V2 76 & 66, Titleist Speeder, YS6+, and a Diamana Whiteboard 73. I played this driver until the 910 Series came out and made the switch due to the sure fit hosel. Basically skipped right over the 901 and 909 lines because the 905R was that good. Ended up playing the 910 until the 915 came out. I could easily still game the 905R, 910 or 915D3 again. Titleist was the last OEM to come out with the 460cc in the 905R, but man what a driver it was. The only complaint I had with the 905R was it was a little on the high spin side. However, none of them could knock the 2016 M2 out of my current bag and I have found nothing since that can either.

The feel of the 905R and the 910 however is unmatched IMO. Probably Titleist two of the best drivers of all time.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

• 1 month later...

I still play my 905R with Fuji Speeder 757 Tour Spec, stiff flex and continue to out drive my buddies with all new drivers. Two weeks ago I was at the range with a friend of mine that has a Ping G400 and he was really struggling hitting his consistently. I finally convinced him to hit my 905R and after he killed it straight down the middle several times, he looked at me and said...I'll give you $300 for it right now!!! Call me a fool but I just couldn't do it. LOL

I still play my 905R with Fuji Speeder 757 Tour Spec, stiff flex and continue to out drive my buddies with all new drivers. Two weeks ago I was at the range with a friend of mine that has a Ping G400 and he was really struggling hitting his consistently. I finally convinced him to hit my 905R and after he killed it straight down the middle several times, he looked at me and said...I'll give you $300 for it right now!!! Call me a fool but I just couldn't do it. LOL

$300 for a 905r...I would have sold that immediately! You could buy 10 more of them for that price.

So I have a 905R lefty head in my loft... wondering what shaft to put in it now and see how good it is these days!

Shaft suggestions guys?

Taylormade Sim2/ Ventus Blue 
Taylormade Sim2 Ti/ Tour DI
Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58
Bettinardi BB0 Tour Hive/ Stability Tour Black Edition
Full bag here

So I have a 905R lefty head in my loft... wondering what shaft to put in it now and see how good it is these days!

Shaft suggestions guys?

A Proforce V2 shaft is classic I played with one in the 975J for years. Graphalloy Red or Blue are nice fits for control. I have a FUEL in my 905R and it is way to loose for me. Going to install a VOODOO when I can drop it off at a shop.

Cheers have fun.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

I had a 905R with ProForce V2 shaft back in the day.

Of course, Despite the fact I loved the driver, I traded it for the newest, greatest driver at the time, and always regretted doing so.

For years I have looked in used bins hoping to find one, but could never find one that met my standards, which means it had to be pristine.

Today I walk into the local Edwin Watts, and as I walk by the used and demo clubs, a 905R is sticking out of the bin above all the other drivers.

If it hadn’t had a few light scratches on the bottom, you would have thought it was brand new. Face was unmarked (until I took it into the simulator), and no sky marks or blemishes. YS6+ stiff shaft, tour velvet cord grip, perfect!

Cost me $45!!!! And matching head cover that showed some wear, but still looked great!

Might be my best find ever! Now I have to find out the cost to reshaft through Titleist to insure it’s done properly. In the meantime, I’ll tee it up next weekend as is!

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

Of course, Despite the fact I loved the driver, I traded it for the newest, greatest driver at the time, and always regretted doing so.

For years I have looked in used bins hoping to find one, but could never find one that met my standards, which means it had to be pristine.

Today I walk into the local Edwin Watts, and as I walk by the used and demo clubs, a 905R is sticking out of the bin above all the other drivers.

If it hadn’t had a few light scratches on the bottom, you would have thought it was brand new. Face was unmarked (until I took it into the simulator), and no sky marks or blemishes. YS6+ stiff shaft, tour velvet cord grip, perfect!

Cost me $45!!!! And matching head cover that showed some wear, but still looked great!

Might be my best find ever! Now I have to find out the cost to reshaft through Titleist to insure it’s done properly. In the meantime, I’ll tee it up next weekend as is!

If you liked the old V2. Get the new version. I took out an old 905r and had the new V2 put in it. (Just because it looks cool). Anyway it was great. Found a lot of control and fairways. Best part was my misses found the fairway as well.

Srixon Z H45  16*

Cleveland 588    52,60

If you liked the old V2. Get the new version. I took out an old 905r and had the new V2 put in it. (Just because it looks cool). Anyway it was great. Found a lot of control and fairways. Best part was my misses found the fairway as well.

Enjoy it man, Its my gamer. Beat out an epic, t.i. 2016 m2, cobra ltd pro and f8+ along with a 915d4 and 917.

Shaft suggestions guys?

A Proforce V2 shaft is classic I played with one in the 975J for years. Graphalloy Red or Blue are nice fits for control. I have a FUEL in my 905R and it is way to loose for me. Going to install a VOODOO when I can drop it off at a shop.

Cheers have fun.

The V2 was not around yet when the 975's were still current. Maybe you're thinking of the original gold and purple Proforce...unless you had yours reshafted with a V2 later on?

Shaft suggestions guys?

Cheers have fun.

The V2 was not around yet when the 975's were still current. Maybe you're thinking of the original gold and purple Proforce...unless you had yours reshafted with a V2 later on?

I started with a 975D with a graphalloy prolite red. Still love that shaft and have it in a cobra driver. I did buy the 975J used. Can’t remember the year. But it stayed in my bag for a long time. Until the Cobra L4VX came out I think.

Srixon Z H45  16*

Cleveland 588    52,60

You know after I slept on it, maybe I had the 905t after the 975. If that was the case maybe that's how I had the V2 shaft. Anyway, now I have a 905R with the new V2 and it really worked well this weekend on the course.

Too many clubs in the years past. Wish I could have what Brad Faxon has in his house for all the equipment I have used in my lifetime.

enjoy

Srixon Z H45  16*

Cleveland 588    52,60

I may be the only one posting on this lately. But since I put the 905r in my bag, I have fired 77-76-76. I put a healthy amount of lead tape on the toe because I can get a little flippy. Anyway loving the control I can move it in all directions and hit it high or low. Very good club.

Srixon Z H45  16*

Cleveland 588    52,60

• 2 weeks later...

27044e242f4cbbf3f06193e924e43852.jpg

I couldn’t resist putting the new color V2 in my 905r. So it got a face lift and felt great.

I've got a gen 1 V2 in mine. 78g X flex! I hit it about 20 yards shorter because of the crazy heavy shaft but it's a fairway finder for sure!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

Shaft suggestions guys?

You'll see a lot of guys going 905R and V2 (old colorway) and IMO it's a classic combination like scotch and a cigar.

A fun combination would be the 905R and a graphite design AD something (bb or DI or GP) but I think that's more of a scotch and meth combination lol

I wonder if anyone has tried any super low spinning current shaft offerings in one. Tensei orange would also be an interesting combo!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

you basically need an uncut shaft to put in a 905R head, correct? since there is no need for tipping

how would an x100 feel in this head?

If you dont blind bore it yes you do. The older 4inch tips helped with flex. Blind bore is much easier and allows a normal tipped shaft.

If you played the x100 at 43.5 it might work, sw would be around D5.5 All my 905r heads weigh around 202-203grams.

Following up.....I am playing this with the YS-6 and am splitting fairways and hitting it long!

No change in shaft required!

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

Following up.....I am playing this with the YS-6 and am splitting fairways and hitting it long!

No change in shaft required!

Loved the YS-6 back in the day, such a smooth feeling.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023