3W vs Driver off the tee

tsecor

Some of these posts are hilarious. Imagine a PGA major winning pro being told his club selection and course management is wrong per some theory? :scare2: ....i can see Spieth in a nice way saying.....

What’s truly hilarious is your illogical assertions about this.

Sabermetrics proved many top notch baseball managers and players wrong concerning how to evaluate players and build teams and lineups. Just because they were great players and managers doesn’t give them superior status when judging claims about sabermetrics.

Further you’re playing games by holding out Stenson here. His 3 wood is a strong 3 wood and its loft is at least as close to a typical driver as it is to a typical 3 wood. It only helps your game if you hide behind word games.

Furyk likes the 3w a lot as well......

http://www.golf.com/instruction/furyk-4-easy-ways-hit-more-greens

Buy some accuracy You hit your 3-wood better than driver for one simple reason: a 3-wood has more loft. Make a switch to an 11- or 12-degree driver. The extra loft will give you more backspin, and more backspin means less sidespin. You'll drive it straighter as a result.

Some of these posts are hilarious. Imagine a PGA major winning pro being told his club selection and course management is wrong per some theory? :scare2: ....i can see Spieth in a nice way saying.....

Sabermetrics proved many top notch baseball managers and players wrong concerning how to evaluate players and build teams and lineups. Just because they were great players and managers doesn’t give them superior status when judging claims about sabermetrics.

Further you’re playing games by holding out Stenson here. His 3 wood is a strong 3 wood and its loft is at least as close to a typical driver as it is to a typical 3 wood. It only helps your game if you hide behind word games.

I think he's just trying to get the thread locked so no one can read how utterly repetitive and nonsensical his argument is.

It died once and he should have just let it rest.

I think he's just trying to get the thread locked so no one can read how utterly repetitive and nonsensical his argument is.

It’s to the point of pity that he has such a fixation on this thread.

It’s to the point of pity that he has such a fixation on this thread.

Well, to be fair, am I hooked, too?

Yes. Guilty as charged.

I feel like this thread has gotten kind of off topic so I will try to get it back on topic. I am one who usually has zero confidence in hitting ANY 460cc driver, so what did I do when I got to the tee box? I pulled out my three wood which the head size is a lot smaller than traditional drivers today. I use that off the tee due to the confidence I have in hitting the three wood. I don't know what it is but I do not like larger headed drivers, but for some reason when I stand over the ball with a three wood I feel like I can crush the ball. I feel like confidence plays a huge role in hitting driver or a three wood well. I recently put a older 983k driver that I had downstairs in my basement in my bag and took it to the range and for some reason when at the range it all clicked and I started hitting my driver like I have never hit a driver before which is high and straight. Not the longest due to the fact that I am doing half to 3/4 swings just to find the sweet spot on the club face. I realized that I have more confidence standing over the ball with a smaller club head and will only play a smaller headed driver, which usually limits me to older drivers. I cannot speak for Henrik Stenson as I do not know him personally but I can relate to him. I feel like he has 100% confidence in crushing his three wood over any other club in his bag and thats why when the pressure is on he pulls out his go to club which is his atomic three wood, not his driver. If that were me on a tee box of the PGA tour I would use the club that gave me the most confidence. Just like some people can hit driver all day over three wood, there are some people who just cannot for the life of them can hit a driver and rely on a three wood. I do believe that hitting a driver takes time and practice as it is an entirely different swing than hitting any other club and most people do not have the time or money to go to the range multiple times a week. I fortunately have a job where I work nights and can practice all day and can put in the time and effort to practice, but if I didn't I would ditch driver and just hit 3 wood off every tee. So long story short go out there have fun and just enjoy the game, even if that means hitting a 5 iron off every tee. Play from the proper tees an enjoy the fresh air and spending time with friends and family. My apologies for the long post but thought it was needed.

I feel like this thread has gotten kind of off topic so I will try to get it back on topic. I am one who usually has zero confidence in hitting ANY 460cc driver, so what did I do when I got to the tee box? I pulled out my three wood which the head size is a lot smaller than traditional drivers today. I use that off the tee due to the confidence I have in hitting the three wood. I don't know what it is but I do not like larger headed drivers, but for some reason when I stand over the ball with a three wood I feel like I can crush the ball. I feel like confidence plays a huge role in hitting driver or a three wood well. I recently put a older 983k driver that I had downstairs in my basement in my bag and took it to the range and for some reason when at the range it all clicked and I started hitting my driver like I have never hit a driver before which is high and straight. Not the longest due to the fact that I am doing half to 3/4 swings just to find the sweet spot on the club face. I realized that I have more confidence standing over the ball with a smaller club head and will only play a smaller headed driver, which usually limits me to older drivers. I cannot speak for Henrik Stenson as I do not know him personally but I can relate to him. I feel like he has 100% confidence in crushing his three wood over any other club in his bag and thats why when the pressure is on he pulls out his go to club which is his atomic three wood, not his driver. If that were me on a tee box of the PGA tour I would use the club that gave me the most confidence. Just like some people can hit driver all day over three wood, there are some people who just cannot for the life of them can hit a driver and rely on a three wood. I do believe that hitting a driver takes time and practice as it is an entirely different swing than hitting any other club and most people do not have the time or money to go to the range multiple times a week. I fortunately have a job where I work nights and can practice all day and can put in the time and effort to practice, but if I didn't I would ditch driver and just hit 3 wood off every tee. So long story short go out there have fun and just enjoy the game, even if that means hitting a 5 iron off every tee. Play from the proper tees an enjoy the fresh air and spending time with friends and family. My apologies for the long post but thought it was needed.

I'm the same way with my old Cobra SZ400 with a Saber Tour Vector shaft. 400cc seems about perfect for me...

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

I'm the same way with my old Cobra SZ400 with a Saber Tour Vector shaft. 400cc seems about perfect for me...

That's why I bought a D3 driver. The 460 head while supposedly more "forgiving" doesn't work for me. 440cc or smaller works great. probably why I hit 3 wood much more accurate.

That's why I bought a D3 driver. The 460 head while supposedly more "forgiving" doesn't work for me. 440cc or smaller works great. probably why I hit 3 wood much more accurate.

You don't mean more accurate right, you mean shorter!! I'm sorry, I just couldn't pass it up! I'll crawl back in my hole now.

You don't mean more accurate right, you mean shorter!! I'm sorry, I just couldn't pass it up! I'll crawl back in my hole now.

lol....yea, my bad....

I wonder how different types of weather effects this stuff as well.....when the golf ball and golf club are colder, the transfer of energy is not as efficient, so the ball speed will be less. Second, colder air is more dense than warm air, so there is more friction and drag....

so during a windy event or a rainy event, i wonder if the 3 wood or driver is better to hit....wet grips might be an issue as well...so many factors to consider

I play a strong 3w also. It's the reason there is very little distance variance between it and my driver. Only difference is the 3w is played off the ground.

But it really doesn't matter. The guy who plays the shots (regardless of what shots they are) and puts up the number wins.

BTW, Foxfire today, played Dr on all par 5s and 4s on the "narrow as heck" back. No lost shots because of it. Damn nice course for $25 walking!!

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I wonder how different types of weather effects this stuff as well.....when the golf ball and golf club are colder, the transfer of energy is not as efficient, so the ball speed will be less. Second, colder air is more dense than warm air, so there is more friction and drag....

so during a windy event or a rainy event, i wonder if the 3 wood or driver is better to hit....wet grips might be an issue as well...so many factors to consider

Aw man, dense air and slippery grips! We're REALLY gonna get off topic now. Can't wait till those psychotic leather grip people (like me) get involved!

BT

There's something to the idea of going 3w vs driver and scoring better (in my humble opinion). Using myself as an example, I was a 4-5 handicap and just couldn't seem to break par. After sitting and sketching out exactly which shots were giving me trouble, it was readily apparent that at least twice a round, an errant drive would force me to scramble, or assess penalty strokes. I hit it well, just not well enough apparently.

So, I took the driver out of the bag and added another wedge. Next day? Shot 67. Played again a few days later and shot 70.

It's anecdotal, admittedly. I'm actually trying to find a driver that gives me that same confidence and advantage, but I haven't yet. Until then? Expect to see lots of 3 woods in my future.

Taylormade M1 460 9.5* HZRDUS Black 65g 6.5
Taylormade M1 Fairway 15* Fujikura Evolution II 757 X-Stiff
Taylormade Rescue Dual TP 19* KBS Graphite Hybrid Prototype 95x
Miura CB-1008 w/ Nippon Pro Modus3 120 X-Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM7 50*,54* and 58* w/ Nippon Wedge 125
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Since we are playing the “search the Internet and quote material that supports your position” game . . .

http://pluggedingolf.com/tee-shot-myth-golf-myths-unplugged/

“The Myths

For this test, we examined five myths relating to the distance, accuracy, and consistency of tee shots.

Myth #1 – 3 Wood is more accurate than driver

Myth #2 – Driver is less consistent than shorter clubs

Myth #3 – Accuracy off the tee is more important than distance

Myth #4 – Shorter, more lofted cubs are always more accurate

Myth #5 – Taking “less club” off the tee is the smart play

How We Tested

For this test, we recruited three above-average golfers. Each brought in their driver, 3W, longest hybrid, and longest iron. Each player hit 10 shots with each club. No shots were deleted, and each golfer hit the clubs in a different order. The data can be found at the bottom of this post.

All testing was done at Club Champion.

The Results

This myth is 100% busted. In both absolute and relative terms, each of our testers hit their driver more accurately than their 3W.

We looked at accuracy three different ways. First, we looked at how far each shot was from the center line. Our testers hit their drivers an avergage of 8 yards closer to the center line. Next, we looked at degrees offline. This is an important number to consider because it levels the playing field between the driver, which goes farther, and the 3W. Our testers hit their drivers 2.3° straighter, on average. Finally, we looked at how many “bad” shots were hit. For accuracy, we defined a bad shot as any shot that finished 15 yards or more from the center line. The results here were mixed: one tester hit an equal number of drivers and 3Ws badly, one did better with the driver, and one did better with the 3W.

There are some possible explanations for why golfers hit a longer, less lofted club straighter. First, drivers have higher MOI (moment of inertia) than 3 woods, meaning they’re more stable and forgiving on mishits. Also, golfers practice with their driver much more than they do with their 3W. Finally, it was our observation that golfers swung harder with their 3W in an effort to hit it as far as their driver.

Regardless of the explanation, it is clear that 3 woods are not more accurate than drivers.

Our testing showed that not only is the driver as accurate as shorter clubs, it’s also every bit as consistent.

To judge consistency, we looked at the range that each player covered, both in terms of distance and left-to-right accuracy, with each club. We also looked at how many bad shots were hit with each club. Bad shots were defined as being 15 yards or more from the center line or 10 yards short of that club’s average distance.

With regard to distance, the driver had a smaller distance range than the 3W for 2/3 testers. All of our testers had smaller or equal distance ranges with their driver compared to their hybrid. When comparing the driver to the long iron, the results were mixed.

When we turn to accuracy, the supposed advantage of shorter clubs, we see a jumbled picture. One tester was least accurate with his driver in terms of range, but his driver produced the fewest bad shots. Our second tester was most accurate with his driver according to both metrics. Our third tester was roughly equal with driver, 3W, and hybrid, but his long iron was consistently better.

In sum, there is no clear consistency advantage to shorter clubs. While the results are mixed, the onus is on the distance-challenged short clubs to prove their worth off the tee, and they failed to make their case.

This is a myth that doesn’t lend itself to being busted or confirmed because it’s too ambiguous. Would you give up 3 yards to be in bounds rather than out of bounds? Of course. Would you give up 50 yards to be in the fairway instead of the first cut? Obviously not.

We do know two things: distance is underrated in terms of its impact on scoring and golfers give up more distance than they realize when clubbing down.

Let’s quantify the importance of distance. According to Mark Broadie’s book Every Shot Counts, an extra 20 yards per tee shot is worth 0.8 strokes/round to a PGA Tour player. That distance is worth more to the amateur golfer. For an 80 shooter, that distance is worth 1.3 strokes. For a golfer shooting 115, those 20 yards are worth 2.7 strokes!

It’s no surprise that golfers overestimate the distance that they hit their clubs, and this really hurts them when it comes to decision making off the tee. Our testers lost 35 yards, on average, when switching from driver to 3W. The drop-off gets even more dramatic when you talk about hybrids and long irons. Compared to their drivers, our testers’ longest hybrids were 45 yards shorter. Their longest irons were 80 yards shorter.

Hitting fairways is important, but it’s not on the same level as having a pitching wedge as opposed to a 5I on your approach.

Just like Myth #1, this is absolutely busted. In fact, we found that, at least for some golfers, the driver is significantly more accurate. Check out the graphic below showing all the shots that we measured. The shots furthest from the center were hit with 3W and hybrid, not the driver.

As we discussed earlier, when you look at distance in absolute terms – yards offline and left-to-right range – the results are somewhat mixed. Based on range, driver was most accurate for one tester, it was least accurate for another, and driver was in the middle for the third. Based on average yards offline, the driver was bettered only by the long iron.

When we switch to looking at accuracy in terms of degrees offline, we see little to no advantage for shorter clubs. We’ve already discussed that each player hit the driver more accurately than the 3W, and that extended to the hybrid as well. Our testers hit their driver 1.3° closer to the center line compared to their hybrid, on average. When we compare driver to the long iron, two of our testers still showed measurable driver advantages: 0.4° and 2.2°. Player 3 did hit his long iron exceptionally – only 1.2° offline compared to 3.6° for the driver – but it must be restated that the long iron was nearly 80 yards shorter than the driver.

Myth #5 – Taking “less club” off the tee is the smart play

It should be obvious by this point that this myth is busted. First, we’ve shown that there is not a clear accuracy benefit to shorter clubs – the driver can be as accurate or more accurate. Second, our data shows that shorter clubs are not more consistent. Finally, shorter clubs give up a lot of distance – much more than most people realize – without returning a benefit.

Conclusion

It turns out that the guy who hits driver on every hole isn’t a meat head after all…at least not when it comes to club selection. Our testing found that hitting driver off the tee results in longer, more consistent, and more accurate shots than any other club.

This doesn’t mean that you should snap your 3W in half. The smart play on any given hole takes into account a lot of things: your personal shot pattern, the shape of the hole, hazards, weather conditions, etc. There are plenty of holes that call for a fairway wood, hybrid, or iron off the tee, but overall the driver is the best club off the tee.

There is no golfer alive who will go from a consistent slice/push into the rough to consistently straight in the middle by cutting a half or inch or so off their driver. That is a fantasy. your just losing yardage. Its an optical illusion. If that golfer does exist, he should absolutely cut his driver down tomorrow. But he doesn't. There is no magic line at 44.5" versus 45" where you get 20% more accurate. That is insanity. You could sell me on 3-5%, but nowhere near that.

I agree with this ^^^ 100%

There is no way an 1" to 1.5" in club length can make that big of a difference in accuracy. I've tried it, and it is a hoax

Since we are playing the “search the Internet and quote material that supports your position†game . . .

http://pluggedingolf.com/tee-shot-myth-golf-myths-unplugged/

“The Myths

For this test, we examined five myths relating to the distance, accuracy, and consistency of tee shots.

Myth #5 – Taking “less club†off the tee is the smart play

How We Tested

For this test, we recruited three above-average golfers. Each brought in their driver, 3W, longest hybrid, and longest iron. Each player hit 10 shots with each club. No shots were deleted, and each golfer hit the clubs in a different order. The data can be found at the bottom of this post.

The Results

This myth is 100% busted. In both absolute and relative terms, each of our testers hit their driver more accurately than their 3W.

We looked at accuracy three different ways. First, we looked at how far each shot was from the center line. Our testers hit their drivers an avergage of 8 yards closer to the center line. Next, we looked at degrees offline. This is an important number to consider because it levels the playing field between the driver, which goes farther, and the 3W. Our testers hit their drivers 2.3° straighter, on average. Finally, we looked at how many “bad†shots were hit. For accuracy, we defined a bad shot as any shot that finished 15 yards or more from the center line. The results here were mixed: one tester hit an equal number of drivers and 3Ws badly, one did better with the driver, and one did better with the 3W.

There are some possible explanations for why golfers hit a longer, less lofted club straighter. First, drivers have higher MOI (moment of inertia) than 3 woods, meaning they’re more stable and forgiving on mishits. Also, golfers practice with their driver much more than they do with their 3W. Finally, it was our observation that golfers swung harder with their 3W in an effort to hit it as far as their driver.

Regardless of the explanation, it is clear that 3 woods are not more accurate than drivers.

Our testing showed that not only is the driver as accurate as shorter clubs, it’s also every bit as consistent.

To judge consistency, we looked at the range that each player covered, both in terms of distance and left-to-right accuracy, with each club. We also looked at how many bad shots were hit with each club. Bad shots were defined as being 15 yards or more from the center line or 10 yards short of that club’s average distance.

With regard to distance, the driver had a smaller distance range than the 3W for 2/3 testers. All of our testers had smaller or equal distance ranges with their driver compared to their hybrid. When comparing the driver to the long iron, the results were mixed.

When we turn to accuracy, the supposed advantage of shorter clubs, we see a jumbled picture. One tester was least accurate with his driver in terms of range, but his driver produced the fewest bad shots. Our second tester was most accurate with his driver according to both metrics. Our third tester was roughly equal with driver, 3W, and hybrid, but his long iron was consistently better.

In sum, there is no clear consistency advantage to shorter clubs. While the results are mixed, the onus is on the distance-challenged short clubs to prove their worth off the tee, and they failed to make their case.

This is a myth that doesn’t lend itself to being busted or confirmed because it’s too ambiguous. Would you give up 3 yards to be in bounds rather than out of bounds? Of course. Would you give up 50 yards to be in the fairway instead of the first cut? Obviously not.

We do know two things: distance is underrated in terms of its impact on scoring and golfers give up more distance than they realize when clubbing down.

Let’s quantify the importance of distance. According to Mark Broadie’s book Every Shot Counts, an extra 20 yards per tee shot is worth 0.8 strokes/round to a PGA Tour player. That distance is worth more to the amateur golfer. For an 80 shooter, that distance is worth 1.3 strokes. For a golfer shooting 115, those 20 yards are worth 2.7 strokes!

It’s no surprise that golfers overestimate the distance that they hit their clubs, and this really hurts them when it comes to decision making off the tee. Our testers lost 35 yards, on average, when switching from driver to 3W. The drop-off gets even more dramatic when you talk about hybrids and long irons. Compared to their drivers, our testers’ longest hybrids were 45 yards shorter. Their longest irons were 80 yards shorter.

Hitting fairways is important, but it’s not on the same level as having a pitching wedge as opposed to a 5I on your approach.

Just like Myth #1, this is absolutely busted. In fact, we found that, at least for some golfers, the driver is significantly more accurate. Check out the graphic below showing all the shots that we measured. The shots furthest from the center were hit with 3W and hybrid, not the driver.

As we discussed earlier, when you look at distance in absolute terms – yards offline and left-to-right range – the results are somewhat mixed. Based on range, driver was most accurate for one tester, it was least accurate for another, and driver was in the middle for the third. Based on average yards offline, the driver was bettered only by the long iron.

When we switch to looking at accuracy in terms of degrees offline, we see little to no advantage for shorter clubs. We’ve already discussed that each player hit the driver more accurately than the 3W, and that extended to the hybrid as well. Our testers hit their driver 1.3° closer to the center line compared to their hybrid, on average. When we compare driver to the long iron, two of our testers still showed measurable driver advantages: 0.4° and 2.2°. Player 3 did hit his long iron exceptionally – only 1.2° offline compared to 3.6° for the driver – but it must be restated that the long iron was nearly 80 yards shorter than the driver.

Myth #5 – Taking “less club†off the tee is the smart play

It should be obvious by this point that this myth is busted. First, we’ve shown that there is not a clear accuracy benefit to shorter clubs – the driver can be as accurate or more accurate. Second, our data shows that shorter clubs are not more consistent. Finally, shorter clubs give up a lot of distance – much more than most people realize – without returning a benefit.

Conclusion

It turns out that the guy who hits driver on every hole isn’t a meat head after all…at least not when it comes to club selection. Our testing found that hitting driver off the tee results in longer, more consistent, and more accurate shots than any other club.

This doesn’t mean that you should snap your 3W in half. The smart play on any given hole takes into account a lot of things: your personal shot pattern, the shape of the hole, hazards, weather conditions, etc. There are plenty of holes that call for a fairway wood, hybrid, or iron off the tee, but overall the driver is the best club off the tee.

Perhaps they should have recruited at least one golfer who has trouble with their driver? Then, perhaps we would see a sample of what we have been discussing for the last month.

BTW, you get the prize for "longest post of the day"!

BT

My 3 wood, granted it's old (talking a 1998 Powerbuilt model) is my saving grace. I can close my eyes, swing the damn thing, and my ball is in play. Perfect for those days when the Driver isn't working.

I'm also a fan of using a 2 iron (driving iron) off the tee. I know it doesn't go as far as my driver, but sometimes the ball in play is far more important than a ball which has gone a mile but is in the rough.

As always YMMV

Since we are playing the â€search the Internet and quote material that supports your position†game . . .

http://pluggedingolf...yths-unplugged/

â€The Myths

Myth #1 â€" 3 Wood is more accurate than driver

Myth #2 â€" Driver is less consistent than shorter clubs

Myth #3 â€" Accuracy off the tee is more important than distance

Myth #4 â€" Shorter, more lofted cubs are always more accurate

Myth #5 â€" Taking â€less club†off the tee is the smart play

How We Tested

The Results

Myth #1 â€" 3 Wood is more accurate than driver

We looked at accuracy three different ways. First, we looked at how far each shot was from the center line. Our testers hit their drivers an avergage of 8 yards closer to the center line. Next, we looked at degrees offline. This is an important number to consider because it levels the playing field between the driver, which goes farther, and the 3W. Our testers hit their drivers 2.3° straighter, on average. Finally, we looked at how many â€bad†shots were hit. For accuracy, we defined a bad shot as any shot that finished 15 yards or more from the center line. The results here were mixed: one tester hit an equal number of drivers and 3Ws badly, one did better with the driver, and one did better with the 3W.

There are some possible explanations for why golfers hit a longer, less lofted club straighter. First, drivers have higher MOI (moment of inertia) than 3 woods, meaning theyâ€re more stable and forgiving on mishits. Also, golfers practice with their driver much more than they do with their 3W. Finally, it was our observation that golfers swung harder with their 3W in an effort to hit it as far as their driver.

Myth #2 â€" Driver is less consistent than shorter clubs

Our testing showed that not only is the driver as accurate as shorter clubs, itâ€s also every bit as consistent.

To judge consistency, we looked at the range that each player covered, both in terms of distance and left-to-right accuracy, with each club. We also looked at how many bad shots were hit with each club. Bad shots were defined as being 15 yards or more from the center line or 10 yards short of that clubâ€s average distance.

Myth #3 â€" Accuracy off the tee is more important than distance

This is a myth that doesnâ€t lend itself to being busted or confirmed because itâ€s too ambiguous. Would you give up 3 yards to be in bounds rather than out of bounds? Of course. Would you give up 50 yards to be in the fairway instead of the first cut? Obviously not.

Letâ€s quantify the importance of distance. According to Mark Broadieâ€s book Every Shot Counts, an extra 20 yards per tee shot is worth 0.8 strokes/round to a PGA Tour player. That distance is worth more to the amateur golfer. For an 80 shooter, that distance is worth 1.3 strokes. For a golfer shooting 115, those 20 yards are worth 2.7 strokes!

Itâ€s no surprise that golfers overestimate the distance that they hit their clubs, and this really hurts them when it comes to decision making off the tee. Our testers lost 35 yards, on average, when switching from driver to 3W. The drop-off gets even more dramatic when you talk about hybrids and long irons. Compared to their drivers, our testers†longest hybrids were 45 yards shorter. Their longest irons were 80 yards shorter.

Hitting fairways is important, but itâ€s not on the same level as having a pitching wedge as opposed to a 5I on your approach.

Myth #4 â€" Shorter, more lofted cubs are always more accurate

As we discussed earlier, when you look at distance in absolute terms â€" yards offline and left-to-right range â€" the results are somewhat mixed. Based on range, driver was most accurate for one tester, it was least accurate for another, and driver was in the middle for the third. Based on average yards offline, the driver was bettered only by the long iron.

When we switch to looking at accuracy in terms of degrees offline, we see little to no advantage for shorter clubs. Weâ€ve already discussed that each player hit the driver more accurately than the 3W, and that extended to the hybrid as well. Our testers hit their driver 1.3° closer to the center line compared to their hybrid, on average. When we compare driver to the long iron, two of our testers still showed measurable driver advantages: 0.4° and 2.2°. Player 3 did hit his long iron exceptionally â€" only 1.2° offline compared to 3.6° for the driver â€" but it must be restated that the long iron was nearly 80 yards shorter than the driver.

Myth #5 â€" Taking â€less club†off the tee is the smart play

It should be obvious by this point that this myth is busted. First, weâ€ve shown that there is not a clear accuracy benefit to shorter clubs â€" the driver can be as accurate or more accurate. Second, our data shows that shorter clubs are not more consistent. Finally, shorter clubs give up a lot of distance â€" much more than most people realize â€" without returning a benefit.

Conclusion

It turns out that the guy who hits driver on every hole isnâ€t a meat head after all…at least not when it comes to club selection. Our testing found that hitting driver off the tee results in longer, more consistent, and more accurate shots than any other club.

This doesnâ€t mean that you should snap your 3W in half. The smart play on any given hole takes into account a lot of things: your personal shot pattern, the shape of the hole, hazards, weather conditions, etc. There are plenty of holes that call for a fairway wood, hybrid, or iron off the tee, but overall the driver is the best club off the tee.

Perhaps they should have recruited at least one golfer who has trouble with their driver? Then, perhaps we would see a sample of what we have been discussing for the last month.

BT

longest post with the least amount of relevant info

Since we are playing the âsearch the Internet and quote material that supports your positionâ game . . .

http://pluggedingolf...yths-unplugged/

âThe Myths

Myth #1 â" 3 Wood is more accurate than driver

Myth #2 â" Driver is less consistent than shorter clubs

Myth #3 â" Accuracy off the tee is more important than distance

Myth #4 â" Shorter, more lofted cubs are always more accurate

Myth #5 â" Taking âless clubâ off the tee is the smart play

How We Tested

The Results

Myth #1 â" 3 Wood is more accurate than driver

We looked at accuracy three different ways. First, we looked at how far each shot was from the center line. Our testers hit their drivers an avergage of 8 yards closer to the center line. Next, we looked at degrees offline. This is an important number to consider because it levels the playing field between the driver, which goes farther, and the 3W. Our testers hit their drivers 2.3° straighter, on average. Finally, we looked at how many âbadâ shots were hit. For accuracy, we defined a bad shot as any shot that finished 15 yards or more from the center line. The results here were mixed: one tester hit an equal number of drivers and 3Ws badly, one did better with the driver, and one did better with the 3W.

There are some possible explanations for why golfers hit a longer, less lofted club straighter. First, drivers have higher MOI (moment of inertia) than 3 woods, meaning theyâre more stable and forgiving on mishits. Also, golfers practice with their driver much more than they do with their 3W. Finally, it was our observation that golfers swung harder with their 3W in an effort to hit it as far as their driver.

Myth #2 â" Driver is less consistent than shorter clubs

Our testing showed that not only is the driver as accurate as shorter clubs, itâs also every bit as consistent.

To judge consistency, we looked at the range that each player covered, both in terms of distance and left-to-right accuracy, with each club. We also looked at how many bad shots were hit with each club. Bad shots were defined as being 15 yards or more from the center line or 10 yards short of that clubâs average distance.

Myth #3 â" Accuracy off the tee is more important than distance

This is a myth that doesnât lend itself to being busted or confirmed because itâs too ambiguous. Would you give up 3 yards to be in bounds rather than out of bounds? Of course. Would you give up 50 yards to be in the fairway instead of the first cut? Obviously not.

Letâs quantify the importance of distance. According to Mark Broadieâs book Every Shot Counts, an extra 20 yards per tee shot is worth 0.8 strokes/round to a PGA Tour player. That distance is worth more to the amateur golfer. For an 80 shooter, that distance is worth 1.3 strokes. For a golfer shooting 115, those 20 yards are worth 2.7 strokes!

Itâs no surprise that golfers overestimate the distance that they hit their clubs, and this really hurts them when it comes to decision making off the tee. Our testers lost 35 yards, on average, when switching from driver to 3W. The drop-off gets even more dramatic when you talk about hybrids and long irons. Compared to their drivers, our testersâ longest hybrids were 45 yards shorter. Their longest irons were 80 yards shorter.

Hitting fairways is important, but itâs not on the same level as having a pitching wedge as opposed to a 5I on your approach.

Myth #4 â" Shorter, more lofted cubs are always more accurate

As we discussed earlier, when you look at distance in absolute terms â" yards offline and left-to-right range â" the results are somewhat mixed. Based on range, driver was most accurate for one tester, it was least accurate for another, and driver was in the middle for the third. Based on average yards offline, the driver was bettered only by the long iron.

When we switch to looking at accuracy in terms of degrees offline, we see little to no advantage for shorter clubs. Weâve already discussed that each player hit the driver more accurately than the 3W, and that extended to the hybrid as well. Our testers hit their driver 1.3° closer to the center line compared to their hybrid, on average. When we compare driver to the long iron, two of our testers still showed measurable driver advantages: 0.4° and 2.2°. Player 3 did hit his long iron exceptionally â" only 1.2° offline compared to 3.6° for the driver â" but it must be restated that the long iron was nearly 80 yards shorter than the driver.

Myth #5 â" Taking âless clubâ off the tee is the smart play

It should be obvious by this point that this myth is busted. First, weâve shown that there is not a clear accuracy benefit to shorter clubs â" the driver can be as accurate or more accurate. Second, our data shows that shorter clubs are not more consistent. Finally, shorter clubs give up a lot of distance â" much more than most people realize â" without returning a benefit.

Conclusion

It turns out that the guy who hits driver on every hole isnât a meat head after allâ¦at least not when it comes to club selection. Our testing found that hitting driver off the tee results in longer, more consistent, and more accurate shots than any other club.

This doesnât mean that you should snap your 3W in half. The smart play on any given hole takes into account a lot of things: your personal shot pattern, the shape of the hole, hazards, weather conditions, etc. There are plenty of holes that call for a fairway wood, hybrid, or iron off the tee, but overall the driver is the best club off the tee.

BT

longest post with the least amount of relevant info

Oh, I don't know... I learned a lot about those three players!

BT

My 3 wood, granted it's old (talking a 1998 Powerbuilt model) is my saving grace. I can close my eyes, swing the damn thing, and my ball is in play. Perfect for those days when the Driver isn't working.

I'm also a fan of using a 2 iron (driving iron) off the tee. I know it doesn't go as far as my driver, but sometimes the ball in play is far more important than a ball which has gone a mile but is in the rough.

As always YMMV

wow Powerbilt! They were premier clubs at one point. I stil have a set of those Irons from back in the day. My dad played them and passed them on to me after he passed away. They still feel amazing.

once again, i played last night with my best friend...he hit driver all day....i hit 3w....he was a little longer but in the rough more, i was in the fairway a lot more....my 8irons to the green were solid as were his wedges....i putt my but off last night, he was average....beat him by 4.

won a free beer....nice....The drive for show, putt for dough theory showed its face last night

once again, i played last night with my best friend...he hit driver all day....i hit 3w....he was a little longer but in the rough more, i was in the fairway a lot more....my 8irons to the green were solid as were his wedges....i putt my but off last night, he was average....beat him by 4.

won a free beer....nice....The drive for show, putt for dough theory showed its face last night

You’re playing games again. You just posted this in another thread . . .

the 905R seems legendary.....what is so good about it? Which shaft works well with it? I may pick one up based on all the hype i see with it...i play a 910D3 right now

You’re no where near as committed to a 3W off the tee as you say you are.

If it looks like a troll and smells like a troll . . .

I had today off so i just returned from my local PGA store and took my driver and 3 wood to the range...was on the monitor and my swing speed for both clubs are within 2 mph of each other. The 3w was only 5 -7 yards less on the monitor but in real course play, im ~ 12-15yds shorter off the tee. What stood out was the contact points. I consistently hit the 3w in the center of the club face with the driver being slightly more off center and the fades and draws were more radical.....kinda defeats the larger head driver is more forgiving theory....anyway...for me, the tests remain consistent....3w is more accurate for me....both on course and on the range....gotta get some more confidence with the driver I guess....