2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rahm f'd up and should've been penalized

Konklifer

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After taking multiple screenshots of the frames, I carefully scaled them so the "zoom" was equal.

The top ball is where the ball started, the bottom is where it ended after his remark.

post-21167-0-19641100-1499800115_thumb.png

Nice work. That's exactly what I thought the difference would be.

100% penalty.

Don't know what these guys were thinking.

Obviously not in he same place. Tough to get into the exact location after moving your mark, but he should have been able to at least put the ball down in the same location in relation to his marker. Dumb.

Callaway Rogue SZ (Fujikura Pro 63 X)
Titleist 910 Fd 15 (AD-BB TX 7)
Titleist TMB 2i (AD-95 X)
Titleist TMB 3-4i (KBS C Taper X 130)
Titleist 716 MB 5-9i (KBS C Taper X 130)
Vokey SM4 Raw: 46, 54, 60 (KBS C Taper X 130)
Odyssey Black Series 1W

I think we should go back to just leaving the ball where it lies completely untouched. Maybe bring back the stymie while we are at it. All of this going crazy about millimeters is a direct result of using an imprecise device (a coin) to determine the position of the ball when in reality it makes no difference at all to the outcome.

Got a solution...cresent moon shaped coin, standard for all players. Mark the golfball inside the concave side.

Why is this not happening?!

Callaway Rogue SZ (Fujikura Pro 63 X)
Titleist 910 Fd 15 (AD-BB TX 7)
Titleist TMB 2i (AD-95 X)
Titleist TMB 3-4i (KBS C Taper X 130)
Titleist 716 MB 5-9i (KBS C Taper X 130)
Vokey SM4 Raw: 46, 54, 60 (KBS C Taper X 130)
Odyssey Black Series 1W

After taking multiple screenshots of the frames, I carefully scaled them so the "zoom" was equal.

The top ball is where the ball started, the bottom is where it ended after his remark.

There is absolutely zero chance of you matching up screen shots from a camera that not only zoomed in and out, but also panned left, right, up and down. The only way you can overlay with certainty is if the camera was fixed.

With today's tech we should be able to overcome this.

1) take a cigar or cigarette and burn a mark behind the offending ball.

Or

2) use a invisible marker to mark the ball and a laser to find it. Make sure the marker will disappear after a rain or a good watering.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

The left pic shows him originally moving his mark. The right pic shows him moving his mark back.

Notice in the left picture the putter face is pointed more towards the hole. The right pic shows the putter angled more away from the hole.

This shows that when he re-marked it, his putter was at an angle that all things being equal would have resulted in the ball being placed further away from the hole.

Of course this is with a non-fixed camera, so......

There is absolutely zero chance of you matching up screen shots from a camera that not only zoomed in and out, but also could have panned left or right or up or down. The only way you can overlay with certainty is if the camera was fixed.

The camera is certainly in a fixed position, so the panning is irrelevant. In other words, the angle is exactly the same in both.

I fixed the zooming by taking several reference frames to get it right, matching up to other known positions, like the other ball marks.

There is absolutely zero chance of you matching up screen shots from a camera that not only zoomed in and out, but also could have panned left or right or up or down. The only way you can overlay with certainty is if the camera was fixed.

That's why he's not a full ball width in front of where he started, because the angle which he placed his putter down on the remark is more "away" from the hole, but not enough to compensate for the entire width of the ball.

Lol. Now this is getting good ! Full on CSsI. Where is that red headed guy ? We need him to step on and give a pose with his sunglasses.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The camera is certainly in a fixed position, so the panning is irrelevant. In other words, the angle is exactly the same in both.

I fixed the zooming by taking several reference frames to get it right, matching up to other known positions, like the other ball marks.

The panning is very relevant. It will change perspective. Watch the complete video and you will see that the camera not only zoomed in and out, but did pan left, right, up and down to follow the action.

Unless the camera operator came back to the same exact position, the perspective is different.

As a little test, close one eye and look at the arm of a chair and compare that to a spot on the wall. Then move twist your head ever so slightly left, right, up or down. You will see the spot on the wall now has a different relation to the arm of the chair.

We can perform the same test with a camera. We can set up a camera on a fixed tripod and just rotate it slightly left or right or move it up or down. Then zoom in or out a smidge. I could point this camera at a fixed ball on a green and the ball would appear to be in different positions even though it never moved.

That's why he's not a full ball width in front of where he started, because the angle which he placed his putter down on the remark is more "away" from the hole, but not enough to compensate for the entire width of the ball.

I go back to the fact that I guarantee that anyone would not put their ball back in the exact same spot a large percentage of the time, even when they knew they were being observed and measured on how accurate they perform this task.

It is such an imprecise method to begin with.

Its a rule.

Sort of.

Depends.

Tell ya, though. If this was a Major and hes tied up/close.

No way he should get that call.

Rule broken, ball improperly marked, dont care if you didnt intend. Thats a joke.

Irish Open? Sure.

Open? No.

It was not an unfair advantage.

No penalty.

Why would "not an unfair advantage" matter?

But the odds are that the ball almost never goes back on its exact point if the cameras and angles are good enough you could penalise anyone on any putt. I think he did his best to move it back to its original spot and should not be penalised there was a tiny difference but it was probably a centimeter or so? I don't think it's right to penalise someone for this especially after having to move thier marker, if he moved it forward an inch or 2 then fair enough but using your putter head in line with some object a decent distance away to determine a line when you stand to it at a slightly different angle as well is never going to produce a very accurate replacement.

True, but the idiots penalized Lexi four strokes.

If he did that and placed it in the correct spot it would be within the rules.

True. The method does not matter. The results matter.

I once played with a guy and asked him to move his mark out of my line. He did so using the entire length of his putter (36"). I cautioned him that he still had to put the ball back in it's original spot (which there was zero chance he could do). He just looked at me like I was from Mars.

But the odds are that the ball almost never goes back on its exact point if the cameras and angles are good enough you could penalise anyone on any putt. I think he did his best to move it back to its original spot and should not be penalised there was a tiny difference but it was probably a centimeter or so? I don't think it's right to penalise someone for this especially after having to move thier marker, if he moved it forward an inch or 2 then fair enough but using your putter head in line with some object a decent distance away to determine a line when you stand to it at a slightly different angle as well is never going to produce a very accurate replacement.

True, but the idiots penalized Lexi four strokes.

Yeah but these were different idiots. :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I go back to the fact that I guarantee that anyone would not put their ball back in the exact same spot a large percentage of the time, even when they knew they were being observed and measured on how accurate they perform this task.

It is such an imprecise method to begin with.

Its not about being exact to the thousandth of an inch but it is about at least attempting. He didnt, he voiced his opinion that it was silly amd he told the official what he thought he needed to in order to not get a penalty. He was lazy with the rule which is just fine and has worked for decades and because of his laziness or forgetfulness (Equally a penalty) he was in the wrong.

The panning is very relevant. It will change perspective. Watch the complete video and you will see that the camera not only zoomed in and out, but did pan left, right, up and down to follow the action.

Unless the camera operator came back to the same exact position, the perspective is different.

As a little test, close one eye and look at the arm of a chair and compare that to a spot on the wall. Then move twist your head ever so slightly left, right, up or down. You will see the spot on the wall now has a different relation to the arm of the chair.

We can perform the same test with a camera. We can set up a camera on a fixed tripod and just rotate it slightly left or right or move it up or down. Then zoom in or out a smidge. I could point this camera at a fixed ball on a green and the ball would appear to be in different positions even though it never moved.

giphy.gif

Just for the hell of it cause Im bored....

The "Camera" looks like he did not replace it in the same spot, Same with Lexi. Just based on the generic video evidence.

With that.... goes back to a Televised situation, what if this was a no name player in last place... would they have gotten the same attention (TV, Video) evidence as the Leader of the tournament?

Why I bring it up is.... there is a hypocrisy of the rules and the down right inconsistency of the ruling bodies. Fact of the matter, Mr.Rahm already chalked it up as a penalty, and should have been assessed it... and be done with it. Would it have changed the outcome? Who knows.... it might have.... But the fact of the matter is why is this situation different from Lexi, TW, DJ? Its not.... the fact of the matter was it was not in the same deemed spot and questionable. Yet Mr. Rahm got a pass?

How does that bode well for players like DJ or even Lexi, or comparison to PGA, Euro tour, or LPGA etc....does that mean, each body and rules official can ultimately make their own decisions?

Its tough as exposure as I hate bring up TW...is true. TV exposure in comparison to 1 player or not and the ability for an outside entity to call in the infraction is ridiculous.

anyways.... the whole point of my stupid rant is. If a rule seemed to be violated then assess them and be done with it. Be it Televised or not... be it video evidence or not. The game was based on an honor system, we as humans make mistakes....and even if they did something malicious.... with intent... it will surface its self....

I mean, what if, that penalty WAS in fact a game changer, what if he was 1 stroke in the lead and this penalty made him second place.........

There has to be some consistency....be it, Web.com, PGA, LPGA, etc.......this just added more useless fuel to the fire......

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

If I was Lexi I'd be pretty upset with the application of the rule on her and the lack of it on Rahm. The cameras were inaccurate (or non-conclusive for lawyers) for both but in the Lexi thread a lot of people were referring to them as being proof she cheated.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

how much did the ball move from where it should have been played from? an inch?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]