2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rahm f'd up and should've been penalized

Konklifer

sorry guys... But there isnt a camera angle out there that shows the ball and his mark at the same time.. He blocks the exchange with his hand.. I think he placed it incorrectly too.. But you cant prove it .. there isnt any video that shows it ...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a rule.

Sort of.

Depends.

Tell ya, though. If this was a Major and hes tied up/close.

No way he should get that call.

Rule broken, ball improperly marked, dont care if you didnt intend. Thats a joke.

Irish Open? Sure.

Open? No.

But the odds are that the ball almost never goes back on its exact point if the cameras and angles are good enough you could penalise anyone on any putt. I think he did his best to move it back to its original spot and should not be penalised there was a tiny difference but it was probably a centimeter or so? I don't think it's right to penalise someone for this especially after having to move thier marker, if he moved it forward an inch or 2 then fair enough but using your putter head in line with some object a decent distance away to determine a line when you stand to it at a slightly different angle as well is never going to produce a very accurate replacement.

This is all true. Which is why we use a mark.

He marked his ball to the side. Then replaced it in front.

That should be a penalty 100% of the time.

100% of the time in a major but not in the Irish Open?

It's such a grey area I feel Rahm made a tiny mistake and there were circumstances making it more difficult to be precise. But to someone else it's error=penalty every time and that's a reasonable way to look at it. Maybe a better way of marking needs to be used if it's necessary to be so precise as to avoid scrutiny from rules officials watching in 4k HD.

Well, I do agree that that having to move his marker confused him and that there was no intent.

But, you cant *mark to the side and replace in front*

That would lead to complete anarchy ; )

You don't like anarchy? :ninja:

"Human sacrifice...cats and dogs, living together...mass hysteria!"

EDIT: Forgot the "Human sacrifice" at the beginning...

Looks to me like he angles the putter further away from the hole when he places the marker back, which is why he places the ball further in front of the marker. The ball returned to its original spot, he just didn't follow the same process to get it there. People are dumb and are just looking at where the ball is relative the marker, silly.

Rahm screwed up... should have been penalized. I'm not even convinced that he putt the putter back down at the right angle so he may have replaced the marker in the wrong spot.

It boils down to his post round presser... he didn't really think it was a putt worth really giving a crap about... so he was loose with the rules. Shows me alot about his character. Don't give me the whole "I'm leading so I'm under more scrutiny than the other guys that don't have a camera on them". That is complete garbage... I don't have a camera following me around the golf course, but I still play by the rules and make sure I mark and place my ball correctly.

What a tool bag. no respect for Rahm from me.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

People are funny, mass outrage when someone gets penalised, then mass outrage when someone doesn't get penalised, when the rule had changed entirely because of the previous decision.

The tournament referee looked at it in detail, much more detail and with greater knowledge of the rules I'm sure than anyone here, and decided no penalty. That should be end of it. Rahm was a very deserving winner, non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

"Officer I know I was doing 90 in a 55 zone, but it was an honest mistake. "

Officer, " ok no problem, have a nice day."

"Officer, I know I was doing 57.5 in a 55 zone, but it was an honest mistake."

Officer, "ok no problem, have a nice day."

People are funny, mass outrage when someone gets penalised, then mass outrage when someone doesn't get penalised, when the rule had changed entirely because of the previous decision.

The tournament referee looked at it in detail, much more detail and with greater knowledge of the rules I'm sure than anyone here, and decided no penalty. That should be end of it. Rahm was a very deserving winner, non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

"Officer I know I was doing 90 in a 55 zone, but it was an honest mistake. "

Officer, " ok no problem, have a nice day."

"Officer, I know I was doing 57.5 in a 55 zone, but it was an honest mistake."

Officer, "ok no problem, have a nice day."

Very good but I would say, "Officer I was unaware that I was doing 57.5 and thought I was doing 55. If you say I was doing 57.5 I'll accept the penalty!"

Officer, "I accept both you and your passenger Im's explanation and I don't think you knowingly did 57.5 so I'll not give you a penalty on this occasion."

I wish people would go back and look at the agreed rule change (I posted it earlier) that Andy McPhee used in coming to true decision. Another point that Andy McPhee stated was that it was initially brought to their attention by someone they were using to monitor the T.V. coverage.

Rahm screwed up... should have been penalized. I'm not even convinced that he putt the putter back down at the right angle so he may have replaced the marker in the wrong spot.

It boils down to his post round presser... he didn't really think it was a putt worth really giving a crap about... so he was loose with the rules. Shows me alot about his character. Don't give me the whole "I'm leading so I'm under more scrutiny than the other guys that don't have a camera on them". That is complete garbage... I don't have a camera following me around the golf course, but I still play by the rules and make sure I mark and place my ball correctly.

I bet you a 100 bucks that if you moved your mark, then moved it back, and did this 10 times, you would not be in the same exact spot at least 6 out of 10 times. You must be a cheater too.

If precise replacement of ball mark and ball is so critical (to some), then there needs to be a new method for returning a moved mark back to its original position. Rahm was required to replace his ball as near as possible to the original location, and no one can say that this widely accepted method of eyeballing a club head aligned to some distinct object really permits "as near as possible." The fact that he marked to the side vs from behind is likely the smallest error in the method.

The rules official thankfully got it right this time.

No he really didn't. You have to at least attempt to replace the ball in a method the reverse of how you picked it up. He didn't which puts him under the microscope. Blowing it off in his press conference shows exactly how little he cared about the rule. As a tournament player you never give someone a reason to question you on something so simple. Hell with the mentality some of you have why even move it back the putter head length?

The method is fine but for some reason you are getting ridiculous over and over again about the specific location as if the rules required a micrometer. What it requires is for the player to do his best to put it back in the original position which is easily accomplished with a ball mark, if the player gives a damn. Rahm didn't and the rules official made an incorrect decision in order to avoid controversy.

Not one former player on the GC has given him a pass and that is extremely telling.

I bet you a 100 bucks that if you moved your mark, then moved it back, and did this 10 times, you would not be in the same exact spot at least 6 out of 10 times. You must be a cheater too.

Again someone getting ridiculous with the rule based on a lack of what it states. See above.

sorry guys... But there isnt a camera angle out there that shows the ball and his mark at the same time.. He blocks the exchange with his hand.. I think he placed it incorrectly too.. But you cant prove it .. there isnt any video that shows it ...

This x1000. Video evidence is not clear. He said he attempted to mark it the same. End of story.

No he really didn't. You have to at least attempt to replace the ball in a method the reverse of how you picked it up. He didn't which puts him under the microscope. Blowing it off in his press conference shows exactly how little he cared about the rule. As a tournament player you never give someone a reason to question you on something so simple. Hell with the mentality some of you have why even move it back the putter head length?

The method is fine but for some reason you are getting ridiculous over and over again about the specific location as if the rules required a micrometer. What it requires is for the player to do his best to put it back in the original position which is easily accomplished with a ball mark, if the player gives a damn. Rahm didn't and the rules official made an incorrect decision in order to avoid controversy.

Not one former player on the GC has given him a pass and that is extremely telling.

The rule is "as near as possible"--- once you moved it a club head based on eyeballing to some distant object and then attempt to return as near as possible, all bets are off. A mark to the side vs behind is the smallest error in this quotient. No one can say he didn't return the ball as near as possible, because that location was lost as soon as the club head method was used. The rule doesn't say you need to reverse the method either. No on is saying anything about micrometers except you. The benefit of the doubt should be given to the golfer. This time it was given to the golfer and the RO got it right.

Frankly from an overall perspective, I'd love to see marking on the green greatly reduced as it wastes too much time.

This x1000. Video evidence is not clear. He said he attempted to mark it the same. End of story.

lol yep.. i wondered if every single poster here would ignore this FACT,,,

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Rahm was ready to accept the penalty.. The ruling official should have given him 2 stroke penalty for consistency.. He would have won anyways and no more drama...

I don't see how any of you can argue that the side vs behind is the same

I have seen many a narcissistic players in club events do the exact same thing because in their pea brain little minds (and let's be frank, Rahm immensely talented but is lacking in many key areas such as emotional control) it's closer

To the hole thereby making it in the mind more "doable"

If you mark it to the side and move it 19x to get out of the way, on the return trip back just mark it to the side.

Period.

Don't get the attitude of rules don't apply to me.

Side=side

Behind=behind

Looks to me like he angles the putter further away from the hole when he places the marker back, which is why he places the ball further in front of the marker. The ball returned to its original spot, he just didn't follow the same process to get it there. People are dumb and are just looking at where the ball is relative the marker, silly.

This is exactly what I thought when I watched. He couldn't mark it exactly behind initially because the other marker was in the way and he attempted to account for that when he replaced his mark before he putted out. Meanwhile a whole lot of butthurt going on over this. I can't believe nobody else noticed this. Probably too hard to see from atop such a high horse.

Just watched a replay a few times. I believe that he should have been penalized. This is different than the Lexi situation. He marked it on the side and returned the ball to in front of the marker. I think he simply forgot to return it to the same spot. Seems like no big deal but if it continues to happen then it could become a problem. This is a player's responsibility and that player is accountable. Just my 2 cents.

The rule is "as near as possible"--- once you moved it a club head based on eyeballing to some distant object and then attempt to return as near as possible, all bets are off. A mark to the side vs behind is the smallest error in this quotient. No one can say he didn't return the ball as near as possible, because that location was lost as soon as the club head method was used. The rule doesn't say you need to reverse the method either. No on is saying anything about micrometers except you. The benefit of the doubt should be given to the golfer. This time it was given to the golfer and the RO got it right.

Frankly from an overall perspective, I'd love to see marking on the green greatly reduced as it wastes too much time.

And again you ramble on about how incredibly difficult it is to attempt to replace the ball. The micrometer point stands and that is at least the third time you've yammered about how incredibly difficult it is to simply replace your marker by using the club head and then putting the ball back in the same location relative to the marker. It's not rocket science and all you have to do is attempt it which rahm did not.

The rule doesn't say you have to reverse the procedure, I never said it did, but how else to you presume a player get their ball back in position?

I would also love to see the marking greatly reduced and would also like to see people at least attempt to follow the rules.

So let's say Rahm didn't even bother to use his putter to replace his mark and just plopped it down where he thought the spot was, still ok with it since he tried to replace it where he thought it was last located.

If he did that, that's really stupid. Why even move the mark back at all if you're going to estimate where you think the ball should be anyway?

Should have been a penalty, but it was an honest mistake. Completely different from Lexi, since her penalty was applied the next round!

And again you ramble on about how incredibly difficult it is to attempt to replace the ball. The micrometer point stands and that is at least the third time you've yammered about how incredibly difficult it is to simply replace your marker by using the club head and then putting the ball back in the same location relative to the marker. It's not rocket science and all you have to do is attempt it which rahm did not.

The rule doesn't say you have to reverse the procedure, I never said it did, but how else to you presume a player get their ball back in position?

I would also love to see the marking greatly reduced and would also like to see people at least attempt to follow the rules.

So let's say Rahm didn't even bother to use his putter to replace his mark and just plopped it down where he thought the spot was, still ok with it since he tried to replace it where he thought it was last located.

If he did that and placed it in the correct spot it would be within the rules.

what are you guys basing the incorrect placement claims on? is there another camera angle out there that shows the marker and the ball together ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

He marked the ball to the side, then used the putter head alignment technique to move the marker. He then used the putter alignment to move the marker back. He then placed the ball in front of the marker and removed the marker.

Our point is that if you mark to the side and pick up the coin, then you should at the very least mark replace the ball on the same side you marked it...not in front, not the other side, not the back, etc... Rahm's regard for the rule, per his post round was very flippant, saying who cares its just a short putt that nobody would miss. Doesn't matter, he should have paid more attention and at the very least placed the ball back to the side.

This is exactly what Lexi did. She marked to the side, then replaced in front.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter