146th Open Championship at Royal Birkdale

i*windows

I am not a huge Spieth fan, but damn he has put together two good rounds. A+ for scrambling.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Kai'li Red shaft

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti  5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Cobra 4 hybrid

Cobra 5 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 6-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB  putter

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jordan in a position to control his destiny here.

Otherwise, wide open just about.

Spieth has a golden horseshoe up his a**. There's no way he's going to lose this tournament. I mean, how else do you explain shooting under par in a 2nd round of a major in the wind and rain hitting a third of the fairways and half the greens?

All the excitement is kinda sucked out of this tournament, to be honest. The weather didn't bring the leader back to the field and nobody is going low on this course this weekend.

Maybe Kuch can make some putts and put in a challenge on the weekend. But the winner is coming from one of those two. Much like last year, little reason to watch the rest of the field.

So, the leader has a two shot lead with 36 holes to play and the tournament is over?

Spieth hit 8 of 18 greens today and shot 69.

Yeah, it's pretty much over. Only guy with a punchers chance is Kuchar.

Oh no backwards hats everywhere! What about tradition! What about integrity! Avert your eyes!

Announcer on the "Spotlight" feed had to let us know he wasn't a fan of it...

...as if I cared :rolleyes:

Announcer clearly has never played a round of golf in the teeming rain.

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

Spieth has a golden horseshoe up his a**. There's no way he's going to lose this tournament. I mean, how else do you explain shooting under par in a 2nd round of a major in the wind and rain hitting a third of the fairways and half the greens?

All the excitement is kinda sucked out of this tournament, to be honest. The weather didn't bring the leader back to the field and nobody is going low on this course this weekend.

Maybe Kuch can make some putts and put in a challenge on the weekend. But the winner is coming from one of those two. Much like last year, little reason to watch the rest of the field.

So, the leader has a two shot lead with 36 holes to play and the tournament is over?

I'm pretty sure JaNelson is not pulling for Spieth to win and that he really doesn't believe the tournament is over.

Skill?

For all of the obsession with distance and the "studies" promoting it, the reality is a great short game will make people think you are lucky when in reality you have a skill set they should be working on so when things go south you can hang on. Great short game +great putting is in no way luck.

Lol at some of the comments here. "It's over, Spieth will win". He has a good chance as he's found his putting form. I don't think he will tho. He had more breaks than many. Not saying he doesn't deserve the lead, but there are others who look more solid and I don'think Spieth can keep it up for 4 full days with that low amount of GIR just beeing crazy on and around greens. With that beeing said he mb have better GIR for the weekend. As open as this is looking it hardly ever is after two days in a major, 30-40 guys still has a good chance of winning. I'm pretty sure atleast one guy will shoot a 65 or lower and that will probably bounce that guy to one of the top spots in the tournament. On this course you can't safe play it. And I could see Kuchar doing just that and losing ground tomorrow where others like a Bubba or a Noren shoots a 64 or whatever.

Skill?

For all of the obsession with distance and the "studies" promoting it, the reality is a great short game will make people think you are lucky when in reality you have a skill set they should be working on so when things go south you can hang on. Great short game +great putting is in no way luck.

The guy literally topped a fairway wood on 15 today which resulted in a worm burner that ran into the green which resulted in an eagle.

The guy is good. Great putter. But he's been so damn lucky in this tournament it's not even funny.

I'm pretty sure JaNelson is not pulling for Spieth to win and that he really doesn't believe the tournament is over.

I suspect you are correct, but it has been spoken. The tournament is over, everyone can now go home.

(not doubting that Spieth has a good chance win the tournament, but it is far from over)

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I suspect you are correct, but it has been spoken. The tournament is over, everyone can now go home.

(not doubting that Spieth has a good chance win the tournament, but it is far from over)

End thread.

What's the tv schedule for the Barbasol?

Skill?

The guy literally topped a fairway wood on 15 today which resulted in a worm burner that ran into the green which resulted in an eagle.

The guy is good. Great putter. But he's been so damn lucky in this tournament it's not even funny.

I wouldn't say he "literally topped a fairway wood on 15." If you literally top a fairway wood, chances are, it will not go 269 yards. I think that's calling thinning it.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Lol at some of the comments here. "It's over, Spieth will win". He has a good chance as he's found his putting form. I don't think he will tho. He had more breaks than many. Not saying he doesn't deserve the lead, but there are others who look more solid and I don'think Spieth can keep it up for 4 full days with that low amount of GIR just beeing crazy on and around greens. With that beeing said he mb have better GIR for the weekend. As open as this is looking it hardly ever is after two days in a major, 30-40 guys still has a good chance of winning. I'm pretty sure atleast one guy will shoot a 65 or lower and that will probably bounce that guy to one of the top spots in the tournament. On this course you can't safe play it. And I could see Kuchar doing just that and losing ground tomorrow where others like a Bubba or a Noren shoots a 64 or whatever.

You should also be laughing at all the "lucky" comments. It's like people actually think that he is the only one that gets lucky and that he is the only one that doesn't get any bad breaks.

I have a "newsflash" for you and anyone else who think that. Spieth gets just about as many "good breaks" and "bad breaks" as any other golfer. If anything, most of the time, he is simply better at taking advantage of the good breaks and overcoming the bad breaks. I'm guessing it probably has something to do with skill, both physical and mental. But what do I know?

I wouldn't say he "literally topped a fairway wood on 15." If you literally top a fairway wood, chances are, it will not go 269 yards. I think that's calling thinning it.

I remember watching Nicklaus at the PGA one year and he literally did cold top a 3 wood on the weekend that maybe went 150 yards. He won the tournament by 7 shots lol.

Eleven out of ten for Tommy Fleetwood today. He had a horrible round yesterday and HAD to shoot under par to have a chance of staying for the weekend ... and did it with a great up and down on the 18th after hooking his drive miles left into a pretty nasty lie in the rough, and playing his approach to short right of the green.

Also pleased to see Toby Tree make the cut. Toby is a young 23 year old Pro who is sponsored by my home club, Golf At Goodwood. Bags of potential and great to see him doing well in his first Major (he got in through qualifying, tied-2nd with Poulter at Woburn)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Do you have any decent bets running for this one SB ? Miss your great betting thread of the last couple of years .... :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

I remember watching Nicklaus at the PGA one year and he literally did cold top a 3 wood on the weekend that maybe went 150 yards. He won the tournament by 7 shots lol.

Jack was -9 and four ahead of the field at the 1981 Masters after 36 holes. It was over.

If he had modern equipment, it would've gone 350+.

Lol at some of the comments here. "It's over, Spieth will win". He has a good chance as he's found his putting form. I don't think he will tho. He had more breaks than many. Not saying he doesn't deserve the lead, but there are others who look more solid and I don'think Spieth can keep it up for 4 full days with that low amount of GIR just beeing crazy on and around greens.

OK, let's look at the stats. There are nine golfers under par. Here are their GIRs after two days. And, IMHO, GIR stats correlate with scores more than any other stat.

Spieth 23

Kucher 23

Poulter 21

Koepka 20

Ramsay 20

Connelly 21

McIlroy 20

Woodland 24

Bland 23

Spieth has hit more greens than five of the other eight leaders and the same as two more. Only Woodland has more (one more) GIRs.

Skill?

Just like Jack and Tiger and Phil and Arnie and Sam, etc. The only way any of these legends ever won is with luck.

Gutted for Adam Hadwin, 71-82 to head home has to be embarrassing and severely disappointing.

Disappointed sure but embarrassed? IDK what his worst score as a pro is but if this isn't it its probably close. If you're game's not quite there on a day like today things can start that slide that's hard to get under control. He's a good player and seems like a good guy. I think he'll shrug it off.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Jack was -9 and four ahead of the field at the 1981 Masters after 36 holes. It was over.

Yup then went 75-72 to lose by 2.

People can say that Spieth is lucky if they want to, but you don't get "lucky" enough to win without being incredibly skilled and dedicated to getting better. He puts himself in a position to take advantage of this so called luck. But that luck doesn't sink putts. Everyone gets lucky at times, but you still have to score when you get that lucky bounce /break.

arnold-palmer-quote-its-a-funny-thing-the-more-i-practice-the-luckier.jpg