146th Open Championship at Royal Birkdale

i*windows

Gutted for Adam Hadwin, 71-82 to head home has to be embarrassing and severely disappointing.

the 67-80 of justin thomas is worse..

I'm sure I'll end up eating my words at some point, but JT's game is not well suited for a traditional British Open like we have this year (wind, elements, etc.). I see him as a contender in the other three majors, but unless he makes an effort to control his ball flight or gets lucky with an Open that has no wind, I think that he'll always struggle in this tournament.

so was his day 1 performance a fluke? if he didn't pull that 9 in the killer rough, would you be saying the same thing if he was at even par?

Definitely not a fluke. He played great golf even though his game doesn't suit the circumstances. I would be saying the same thing if he was at even par.

Taylormade SIM 8* - Matrix OZIK MFS Black Tie 70X
Taylormade M5 15* - Aldila Black Mamba 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.3X
Taylormade P790 4-PW - Project X 7.0
Taylormade Hi Toe 52* and 58* - KBS $-Taper 125 S+ Black
Taylormade Ardmore 2 35" Super Stroke Claw 1.0

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gutted for Adam Hadwin, 71-82 to head home has to be embarrassing and severely disappointing.

I'm sure I'll end up eating my words at some point, but JT's game is not well suited for a traditional British Open like we have this year (wind, elements, etc.). I see him as a contender in the other three majors, but unless he makes an effort to control his ball flight or gets lucky with an Open that has no wind, I think that he'll always struggle in this tournament.

That's pretty much what Butch Harmon was saying on Sky Sports yesterday. I'm not minded to disagree with him or you. That said, Hawaii usually seems to be pretty windy and managed to get it round ok. Different I guess when it's windy but still sunny and in the 80's as opposed to pouring down with rain and you have three layers on.

The weather is so important, of course. But I think the key factor is how different the course is. I gather it must be like being removed from your element, an environment that they are so used to being in. Then suddenly every single thing is different; the grass, the turf, the greens, the bunkers, the wind, rough, etc. And in addition jet lag. Talk about an adjustment!

That's pretty much what Butch Harmon was saying on Sky Sports yesterday. I'm not minded to disagree with him or you. That said, Hawaii usually seems to be pretty windy and managed to get it round ok. Different I guess when it's windy but still sunny and in the 80's as opposed to pouring down with rain and you have three layers on.

Kapalua is an entirely different course though. Fifty yard wide fairways and huge greens.

You're analogy is wrong. Playing in the wind is all about hitting the ball square. And, yes, sometimes it helps to take a 3/4 swing or 1/2 swing to hit the ball square. I saw Jordan take his fairway wood today, and put a half swing on it with a cut swing, and hit the ball right up onto the green that way. Might have been the best shot that I saw today, because he planned for it, and he hit it just the way that he thought that he could.

The very best players can hit shots like that when it counts; and there were times today when that was the shot.

The cream will come to the top in this one, just like it does at Augusta and most times at the US Open. It's the same game; it just looks different to your eye.

If that was the 2nd shot on 15 then that is not what he had planned for the shot and he said as much when he was interviewed after the round.

Kapalua is an entirely different course though. Fifty yard wide fairways and huge greens.

As I say, I'm not minded to disagree with you :)

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

been watching more than 24 hours of the Open so far and have never seen so many golfers putting from off the green, hit so many controlled second shots and no driver from the tee..

i guess this is what links golf is all about and only those who can handle it will do well..

it is not the kind of golf you can play well unless you practice doing it or play these type of courses a lot..

kudos to those who can do it!!

What's funny is that this is really the only week of the year most of these guys have to play this way. The way golf was meant to be played? OK. Golf, however, is completely different now for the other 51 weeks of the year. The really great thing is that the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm, the R&A, still purports to call the winner the world champion golfer of the year. It's like telling Tom Brady he's not the best QB unless he wins a flag football tournament played in parts unknown. (which, he probably would) Love watching it, though!

You're analogy is wrong. Playing in the wind is all about hitting the ball square. And, yes, sometimes it helps to take a 3/4 swing or 1/2 swing to hit the ball square. I saw Jordan take his fairway wood today, and put a half swing on it with a cut swing, and hit the ball right up onto the green that way. Might have been the best shot that I saw today, because he planned for it, and he hit it just the way that he thought that he could.

The very best players can hit shots like that when it counts; and there were times today when that was the shot.

The cream will come to the top in this one, just like it does at Augusta and most times at the US Open. It's the same game; it just looks different to your eye.

I stand corrected. My analogy was way off. Should've said Jim Kelly.

Op suggested Phil should not have used his driver. He obviously y didn't since he didn't have one n the bag. What's the joke?

The scarcasm font didn't appear to be used.

Wow LOL. OP said nothing of the sort.

rockinar, on 21 July 2017 - 12:28 PM, said:

Phil should have kept the driver in the bag...........

Then you said " He did" and then followed up with "Didn't have one in the bag."

:WTF:

Saying he should have kept in the bag is saying he should not have used it! Not having one inthe bag means he didn't use it.

*double face palm*

No it isn't. You can't use the club if it isn't in the bag. Phil left it out so he couldn't use it.

Rockinar said he should have kept it IN the bag so he COULD use it.

Please tell me English is your second language.

Both are

Legit. It's English. Depends on your assumption. Caprice. Lol.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

A little bit of weather really shows that these guys are one dimensional golfers.

Incredibly good at bomb and gouge in warm weather with little or no breeze, as is the norm on the PGA Tour.

15mph is a breeze, 30mph is a bit windy.

if you can't manage the ball in a bit of wind you are not a complete golfer.

Bubba was heard to say "you can't play golf in this", sad really, but proves my point.

Not to mention bunkers that are actually a hazard sometimes, they are not used to the idea that you should not go into bunkers! because normally they are not a hazard at all.

Reminds me of caddying for a Canadian Am in an international comp at my club (seaside australia) he had NO IDEA how to play golf in a breeze.

PGA Tour really is golf wrapped in cotton wool.

What about the roughly 25 or so European tour regulars -- including at least three Australians -- who missed the cut?

If my count is right 78 made the cut, of which 30 play the majority of their events in the US. I even excluded guy's like Westwood, McIlroy and Stenson because I figured their background wouldn't include them in your statement.

I'll give you credit, it's a good troll. But you could've just said, "I do t like golfers from North America."

Further why should meeting your definition of a "complete golfer" be a goal?

been watching more than 24 hours of the Open so far and have never seen so many golfers putting from off the green, hit so many controlled second shots and no driver from the tee..

i guess this is what links golf is all about and only those who can handle it will do well..

it is not the kind of golf you can play well unless you practice doing it or play these type of courses a lot..

kudos to those who can do it!!

I think the short game has more importance because you aren't going to hit that many greens when the wind is up. Tom Watson was a high ball hitter and could be a bit wild but won 5 times. I think his stellar short game is a big reason for his success on the links.

Boy I was impressed with Speith today....brilliant scrambler! Just seems destined to win a few claret jugs as his game is so suited for links golf! Very much like Tom Watson

Oh yea. Just think. He could end the week with 3 legs of the career grand slam. Needing only the PGA. Who would be willing to bet me that he wouldn't win the PGA before Rory gets the masters win? kid has it upstairs and that's worth more than any 340 yard drives at this level.

shhhh!

Don't jinx it.

Boy I was impressed with Speith today....brilliant scrambler! Just seems destined to win a few claret jugs as his game is so suited for links golf! Very much like Tom Watson

By the way it's hammering it down at present time...good job it's 11.15pm. Sunny tomorrow!

Was Tom Watson a guy with a lot of shots wayward but a houdini short play? Sounds more like Seve.

In the late 70s and early 80s Tom and Seve's playing styles were quite similar.

Haa haaa nice thanks, copping flak for stating the truth.

Peter Thompson won 5 Opens because he could hit the ball low.

If you hit the ball low with almost no side spin it will not deviate even in a strong wind, its like a hot knife through butter.

Its a great tournament because it shows that controlling the ball is more important than length.

Tom Watson won 5 times and was a high ball hitter. He just hit it real solidly.

Jack, Tom, Greg, Tiger, Phil all hit it high and have won the British Open.

Both are

Legit. It's English. Depends on your assumption. Caprice. Lol.

I didn't say it wasn't English. If English was your second language then i could understand you misreading the same line again and again.

It was reported before the tournament that Phil wasn't going to play a driver this week. The driver was not in his bag so he couldn't hit it. Rockinar said he should have kept it in his bag so he could hit it. It is not complicated.

Haa haaa nice thanks, copping flak for stating the truth.

Peter Thompson won 5 Opens because he could hit the ball low.

If you hit the ball low with almost no side spin it will not deviate even in a strong wind, its like a hot knife through butter.

Its a great tournament because it shows that controlling the ball is more important than length.

Tom Watson won 5 times and was a high ball hitter. He just hit it real solidly.

Jack, Tom, Greg, Tiger, Phil all could hit it high and have won the British Open.

Fixed that for you.

http://youtu.be/tLcBF9fCgkg

Shame that Scotty couldn't hold down an even par round today, 9 back is going to be tough to claw back from.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

A little bit of weather really shows that these guys are one dimensional golfers.

Incredibly good at bomb and gouge in warm weather with little or no breeze, as is the norm on the PGA Tour.

Bubba was heard to say "you can't play golf in this", sad really, but proves my point.

Not to mention bunkers that are actually a hazard sometimes, they are not used to the idea that you should not go into bunkers! because normally they are not a hazard at all.

Reminds me of caddying for a Canadian Am in an international comp at my club (seaside australia) he had NO IDEA how to play golf in a breeze.

What about the roughly 25 or so European tour regulars -- including at least three Australians -- who missed the cut?

If my count is right 78 made the cut, of which 30 play the majority of their events in the US. I even excluded guy's like Westwood, McIlroy and Stenson because I figured their background wouldn't include them in your statement.

I'll give you credit, it's a good troll. But you could've just said, "I do t like golfers from North America."

I'm sure Rory, Justin Rose, Sergio and the rest of the top Euros spend a lot of time throughout the year grinding away in the rain and wind at places like Formby and Nairn. Not like the top US players in the breezy beach locales like West Palm Beach and the Bahamas or even Texas.

Maybe.

I think most guys, especially if they're good and want to make their mark, learn and adapt. The kid is young. He'll see what he needs to do.

I think most guys, especially if they're good and want to make their mark, learn and adapt. The kid is young. He'll see what he needs to do.

As someone with zero PGA or college wins, I hope that JT listens to himself instead of me haha.

Anyone else think DJ's strategy has been slightly off so far? Seems a little bit on the conservative side, for example I think it was on the last hole Rory ripped a drive miles down there over everything. DJ takes an iron out despite a bunker clearly being in range with it, mulls it over, then proceeds to put it straight in the bunker.

He's not played amazing this week but I always think he plays better when he's positive and doesn't over think things. You don't want DJ thinking, you want him on automatic.

As a similar point, I think Mickelson really should have taken a driver in the bag. Strategy and all is great on Monday but the tournament changes. Of all the tournaments in the world, The Open changes more than them all too. With the torrential rain and some holes 25 mph into, surely you need a few drivers. When you're outside the cut line, you have to give yourself the option to let rip. Mickelson had no birdies in his first round.

Rory, Kuchar and Sergio have shown that taking on a few drives can be beneficial so far.

Anyone else think DJ's strategy has been slightly off so far? Seems a little bit on the conservative side, for example I think it was on the last hole Rory ripped a drive miles down there over everything. DJ takes an iron out despite a bunker clearly being in range with it, mulls it over, then proceeds to put it straight in the bunker.

He's not played amazing this week but I always think he plays better when he's positive and doesn't over think things. You don't want DJ thinking, you want him on automatic.

As a similar point, I think Mickelson really should have taken a driver in the bag. Strategy and all is great on Monday but the tournament changes. Of all the tournaments in the world, The Open changes more than them all too. With the torrential rain and some holes 25 mph into, surely you need a few drivers. When you're outside the cut line, you have to give yourself the option to let rip. Mickelson had no birdies in his first round.

Rory, Kuchar and Sergio have shown that taking on a few drives can be beneficial so far.

I am not going to comment on DJ directly as I have never met the man. That being said, I'm pretty sure "thinking" is one of the prime requirements for winning a British Open.

Anyone else think DJ's strategy has been slightly off so far? Seems a little bit on the conservative side ... he's not played amazing this week but I always think he plays better when he's positive and doesn't over think things. You don't want DJ thinking, you want him on automatic.

I agree. It may point to the fact that Dustin is struggling with his confidence right now. I suppose being on automatic is much easier when you're playing well and riding high on confidence. Just a hunch.

I'm sure Rory, Justin Rose, Sergio and the rest of the top Euros spend a lot of time throughout the year grinding away in the rain and wind at places like Formby and Nairn. Not like the top US players in the breezy beach locales like West Palm Beach and the Bahamas or even Texas.

Maybe.

HOT DAMMMMNNNNNNN, Pinsplitter59, you got undressed on that one. ctmason_98, well done sir, well done. That was some surgical internet boxing right there.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Lol at some of the comments here. "It's over, Spieth will win". He has a good chance as he's found his putting form. I don't think he will tho. He had more breaks than many. Not saying he doesn't deserve the lead, but there are others who look more solid and I don'think Spieth can keep it up for 4 full days with that low amount of GIR just beeing crazy on and around greens.

OK, let's look at the stats. There are nine golfers under par. Here are their GIRs after two days. And, IMHO, GIR stats correlate with scores more than any other stat.

Spieth 23

Kucher 23

Poulter 21

Koepka 20

Ramsay 20

Connelly 21

McIlroy 20

Woodland 24

Bland 23

Spieth has hit more greens than five of the other eight leaders and the same as two more. Only Woodland has more (one more) GIRs.

so what happened to Bland?

He shot 67 - 72 and is 1 under par.

Why is everyone forgetting about KOEPKA? Tied for 3rd, playing in 2nd to last group. Played in the worst of it yesterday and shot +2, only 1 worse than Kuchar who everyone is drooling over. Hits it longer than Rory, and won the last major played. Not saying he's a sure thing at all, just wonder he's getting no attention

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball