2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

146th Open Championship at Royal Birkdale

i*windows

Kuchar is such a nice guy I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster he was on thru the back 9.

To go from 3 down, to 2 up and then in a matter of two holes be back down by 1 it's got to mess with his head. I am sure the 30 minute delay didn't help him but who would have thought Jordan could come back from that mess with a birdie and eagle.

Kuchar was like a field goal kicker who gets the "freeze" treatment by the opposing team's time out.

Except in this case, it worked.

Ya but somehow kuch went into 14 up played it Par-Birdie-Par-Birdie and came out two down, not exactly a choke

I would have to agree Bro!!

When you're one up and ya Play a four hole stretch on the back nine on Sunday of a Major at -2 and you're standing 2-down on 18 tee, LMAO, well, I know an awful lot of Players, cough cough Norman, who would Love to have those four holes on their back nine??

If Kuch could kick a football, he could kick for my team any day!!

Have a great week Gents?

My Best?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kuchar is such a nice guy I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster he was on thru the back 9.

To go from 3 down, to 2 up and then in a matter of two holes be back down by 1 it's got to mess with his head. I am sure the 30 minute delay didn't help him but who would have thought Jordan could come back from that mess with a birdie and eagle.

Kuchar was like a field goal kicker who gets the "freeze" treatment by the opposing team's time out.

Except in this case, it worked.

Ya but somehow kuch went into 14 up played it Par-Birdie-Par-Birdie and came out two down, not exactly a choke

I would have to agree Bro!!

When ya Play a four hole stretch on the back nine on Sunday of a Major at -2 and you're standing 2-down on 18 tee, LMAO, well, I know an awful lot of Players, cough cough Norman, who would Love to have those four holes on their back nine

If Kuch could kick a football, he could kick for my team any day!!

Have a great week Gents

My Best

RP

In saying that I damn feel for Kuch for responding like that but when your hands are tied like that nothing you can do.

Hope you are well RP

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

That last hour or so was some of the best golf I've ever seen coming down the stretch in a Major. And I thought Jordan was falling apart under the pressure. Wow!

A shot in front, Kuchar played 14-17 par-birdie-par-birdie and lost three shots to Jordan's birdie-eagle-birdie-birdie - Kooch was simply steam-rolled by the Speith Express. Just sublime golf to watch live - Jordan is the man!

Of all the major championship golf Ive watched (lots), that has to be the most memorable finish. I wonder if the long delay @ #13 made him speed up afterward, and that just helped him play better, less self-conscious golf. Whatever, something dramatically changed with him after that hole (or maybe during)

You may have a point here.

Spieth prepares for Quail Hollow by playing continuously with Rickie Fowler, imitating his pace of play the best he can.

Spieth shoots 45 under par to win the PGA by 32 stokes and completes the career grand slam. Called it.

Jack Nicklaus winning the 1986 US Masters is still my favorite - Jack's last great charge - still 4 behind standing on the 15th green: Eagle-Birdie-Birdie-Par finish to beat World No.1 Seve Ballesteros, fend off Tom Kite and Greg Norman, and a host of other top notch golfers.

And then there was the 1977 Open at Turnberry, Watson slugging it out with Nicklaus, and last years Open triumph by Stenson over Phil.

But this was great golf too - Kuchar played well enough to beat an ordinary mortal, but Speith played ridiculously sublime golf when it mattered - Fantastic and Inspiring!

Jordan at 13 - the delay - reminds me of the Cubs game 7 rain delay. Both came out in a different mental space.

I completely agree, I don't think either win without that delay, I also don't think that delay was Jordan's fault, 30% of it probably was but there were a lot of moving parts and a lot of decisions to go through

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

i cannot recall a better finish by a winner in a major after facing earlier adversity than what Jordan just did...

and that's after watching a lot of golf over the last 60 years!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Nothing wrong with what Spieth did but the practice ground really should be OoB.

Why?

Because Spieth was smart enough to realise that purposely missing the 13 way right was better than being in one of the fairway pot bunkers. With the enormous galleries, he figured a lost ball was unlikely and even having to take an unplayable, as he did, was less penal than potentially having no stance in a fairway pot.

Not Spieths fault, but the R&A need to take note for next time. We are told the fairway pot bunkers need to be avoided at all cost and it seems on occassion the best policy is to miss the fairway by miles, or even purposly aim into the vast areas where the spectators have walked rather than play the hole as intended.

Nothing wrong with what Spieth did but the practice ground really should be OoB.

Why?

Because Spieth was smart enough to realise that purposely missing the 13 way right was better than being in one of the fairway pot bunkers. With the enormous galleries, he figured a lost ball was unlikely and even having to take an unplayable, as he did, was less penal than potentially having no stance in a fairway pot.

Not Spieths fault, but the R&A need to take note for next time. We are told the fairway pot bunkers need to be avoided at all cost and it seems on occassion the best policy is to miss the fairway by miles, or even purposly aim into the vast areas where the spectators have walked rather than play the hole as intended.

That's what Hale Irwin said about seve in 79, he new exactly which holes to go wild on and on which side.

He couldn't believe they found keys for all those cars on the car park but in the end Irwin just sat back and watched a genius at work.....same can be said for Speith!

Why?

He didn't purposely hit it there. He wasn't there in any of the previous 3 rounds. He setup to aim down the fairway.

And if some people are so upset by the range not being OB for Spieth, why aren't they also livid the parking lot wasn't OB for Seve when he won a British Open by making a birdie out of one?

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

The R&A made the 10th fairway OB (IIRC) to stop players short cutting that hole. I do agree that driving ranges should be OB - if it's a Thursday morning and he hits it there with 50 guys hitting balls, is it still a viable drop? These are players who are on a tight warm up schedule for a tee off time, so stopping them for 10 minutes plus is going to cause a lot of knock on issues for other players, not just Kuchar. Seems like a bit of a miss for the Rules Committee, and I expect future competitions should have such areas ruled as OB.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

The R&A made the 10th fairway OB (IIRC) to stop players short cutting that hole. I do agree that driving ranges should be OB - if it's a Thursday morning and he hits it there with 50 guys hitting balls, is it still a viable drop? These are players who are on a tight warm up schedule for a tee off time, so stopping them for 10 minutes plus is going to cause a lot of knock on issues for other players, not just Kuchar. Seems like a bit of a miss for the Rules Committee, and I expect future competitions should have such areas ruled as OB.

No player would purposely try to hit it there thinking it would make the hole easier, that's the difference with the 10th fairway rule. It may have happened only once in 4 days someone actually hit it from there. Pros at the range are well organized, accurate, cooperative, and 10 minutes is just a fraction of their time there. Given the low chance of it happening, lack of advantage to purposely going that route, and negligible consequence if a ball ended up there, there's no justification to add an additional awkward internal OB to the course.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

Kept myself off of here over the last couple of rounds, I wanted to watch it and take it in as much as I could.

Still can't get over the display of grit that we saw from Spieth yesterday. When he was looking for a place to take that drop on 13 my head was spinning. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and I cannot comprehend what must have been going through his thoughts. The crazy thing is that you just knew he was going to hole that bogey putt. No one has been as money with a putter in there hand since Tiger in his prime.

The energy that that gave him was unreal and to then play the next four holes in -5 is just insane. It was Man United vs Bayern Munich in 1999 on a golf course.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Why?

He didn't purposely hit it there. He wasn't there in any of the previous 3 rounds. He setup to aim down the fairway.

And if some people are so upset by the range not being OB for Spieth, why aren't they also livid the parking lot wasn't OB for Seve when he won a British Open by making a birdie out of one?

I'm fairly sure he did hit it over there on at least one other occassion and admitted aiming over there in an interview. Obviously he wasn't aiming that far right on Sunday.

I have no problem with what Spieth did. He out-smarted the R&A. It was within the rules and doesn't detract from a fantastic victory.

Why?

I'm fairly sure he did hit it over there on at least one other occassion and admitted aiming over there in an interview. Obviously he wasn't aiming that far right on Sunday.

I have no problem with what Spieth did. He out-smarted the R&A. It was within the rules and doesn't detract from a fantastic victory.

His press conference is here [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ2XKyFG81k[/media]

No mention of purposely aiming it over there ever. Early on a reporter asked him why he had such a good understanding of the rules (sounded like a leading question), and all he said is because he's used to hitting all over the place. Later he said when he hit the tee shot he thought "oh no, that's a 6".

He parred it all 3 previous rounds, I seriously doubt he made those pars by driving into those nasty mounds and rough, or hitting it 250 yards out from the range. Watch the replay again of the tee shot, he wasn't aiming there. Clearly it was a bad swing

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

His press conference is here [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ2XKyFG81k[/media]

No mention of purposely aiming it over there ever. Early on a reporter asked him why he had such a good understanding of the rules (sounded like a leading question), and all he said is because he's used to hitting all over the place. Later he said when he hit the tee shot he thought "oh no, that's a 6".

He parred it all 3 previous rounds, I seriously doubt he made those pars by driving into those nasty mounds and rough, or hitting it 250 yards out from the range. Watch the replay again of the tee shot, he wasn't aiming there. Clearly it was a bad swing

The British commentary I got on Sky Germany said that he hit it between the bunkers and the mounds in all 3 previous rounds and the on-course commentator said before the shot that he aimed right of the bunkers.

Personally, I don't remember what he did in rounds 1 to 3, so I cannot tell, if this is true.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

The British commentary I got on Sky Germany said that he hit it between the bunkers and the mounds in all 3 previous rounds and the on-course commentator said before the shot that he aimed right of the bunkers.

Personally, I don't remember what he did in rounds 1 to 3, so I cannot tell, if this is true.

2nd round highlights ... tee shot @ #13 @ 8:52...middle left of fairway

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW6bh8bgfts[/media]

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

I didn't see the tournament, but I thought if you declare a ball unplayable, you drop a ball within two club lengths of the spot where the ball is sitting, but no nearer the hole. How did he get to drop so far back?

RULE 28- Ball Unplayable

All defined terms are in italics and are listed alphabetically in the Definitions section.

The player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course, except when the ball is in a water hazard. The player is the sole judge as to whether his ball is unplayable.

If the player deems his ball to be unplayable, he must, under penalty of one stroke:

a.

Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

b.

Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped; or

c.

Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole.

If the unplayable ball is in a bunker, the player may proceed under Clause a, b or c. If he elects to proceed under Clause b or c, a ball must be dropped in the bunker.

When proceeding under this Rule, the player may lift and clean his ball or substitute a ball.

Penalty for Breach of Rule:

Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes.

Thank you gentlemen!

Congratulations for a great win with a bit of luck, great comeback!

Feel for Kuch, but I think he lacks something on Sunday. Overall great tournament!

It was amazing to watch but I agree with you and I do feel a bit for Matt. He just couldn't put any real pressure on Jordan to take bigger advantage of his poor play early on.

First time in that position for him so easy to be critical as a viewer.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

Why?

You think he hit that drive on purpose?

Why?

Ah i see you were serious. I would have lost that bet.

Oh and as to your last thought, no he didnt and no it doesnt.

Out of curiosity is your tinfoil hat Tour Issue?

All I can say about Speith's final round is that I want to hire Michael Greller to be my best friend. If that had been me, and I had bogeyed 3 of the first four holes, I would have been so dejected that I would have just quit. If I had hit that drive on 13, I would have been so embarrassed and my brain would have been so scrambled, I would have broken every club in my bag and walked into the sea. Greller must have monster persuasive powers to keep his guy on the planet.

All I can say about Speith's final round is that I want to hire Michael Greller to be my best friend. If that had been me, and I had bogeyed 3 of the first four holes, I would have been so dejected that I would have just quit. If I had hit that drive on 13, I would have been so embarrassed and my brain would have been so scrambled, I would have broken every club in my bag and walked into the sea. Greller must have monster persuasive powers to keep his guy on the planet.

Caddies are over rated, though.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip