Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

First post on GolfWrx, and I am excited to be getting them (hopefully soon as the Taylormade information site say they are being built) Hit these at a demo and all I can say is for me, they worked!

Welcome to the site. Have fun with the irons!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Got P770s in July ‘17 and wish I could get the 790s...might just do the driving iron...

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Driver - Mitsubishi Diamana S Limited 60 Stiff
TaylorMade SIM2 15° 3W - Mitsubishi Diamana FW Limited 75
TaylorMade SIM Max 19° Hybrid - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White HY 90 Stiff
TaylorMade 2-iron UDI P790 - KBS Tour Stiff
TaylorMade P770 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.0 120g
Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08 F, 60.10 S
2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
Titleist ProV1x
Profile Picture: 16th Tee @ NGLA

First post on GolfWrx, and I am excited to be getting them (hopefully soon as the Taylormade information site say they are being built) Hit these at a demo and all I can say is for me, they worked!

How is the lead tape treating you?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Does anyone have any analysis on the weight of the iron heads?

I currently have the PXLZ's in them. I am coming from Project X 6.0 Bridgestone J40 DPC. To me, the Taylormade P790's feel much heavier than my previous Bridgestone J40 DPC's. Does anyone have any opinion?

I have a very smooth swing and somewhat steep swing. Not sure if the PXLZ's are the right shaft for that combo. Thinking of trying out the Nippon Modus 3 105. Anyone with a similar swing profile gaming the Nippons?

How is the lead tape treating you?

The clubs feel significantly better. Tempo is much better. I'm having swing issues.... and obviously I'm going to blame that on the club. Since... it couldnt possibly be me. I'm excited to get this hitch in my swing figured out and get back to normal. I love the feel and distance I'm getting on my true swings.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

First real test last weekend - the Grand final of our winter golf league for two rounds at a nice course in the south of Sweden. Won the gross and net + the team comp on Saturday. Wind was about 2 clubs in the gusts and I beat the field by 6 shots :) Most notable shot was my second on the long par 4 nr. 14 where the wind came in from 2 o'clock and I had pulled my drive onto the next fairway. Was lying 195 meters from the flag with a couple of high birch right in line of the green. Hit 4 iron (haven't even carried a 4 iron the last couple of years since I felt I couldn't elevate the ball enough) and realize I won't be able to go over the trees. Hit a nice draw that is helped by the wind and ends up 3 meters from the flag :) Just missed the bird 2 cms on the low side.

Second day, hardly any wind. Feeling nice on the range but can't get the round going properly. Hit some nice shots though so it was more down to putting and short game. On the last hole I pushed my drive out into the tree line. Tried to punch out but hit a branch and fell down. Had 177 to the flag with massive bunkers to the left and water covering the front and right of the green. I've got branches hanging down but a good lie and I figure "if I can just hit a low faded 4 iron it should be on the green". Hit it to 4 meters and just barely miss the par put. Man, this 4 iron rocks!

All in all: I win best total over the two days + the single and team on Saturday. I promise - that would not have happened without these clubs. They sure are game changers.

//Andy

Congratulations! Just curious, what course did you play? I play in south of Sweden quite a bit. The courses are just opening here in Stockholm, but it will take a while to get the greens rolling smoothly.

Still waiting for my clubs to arrive, but heard from my fitter on when I should expect them. I figured I would relay the information. Anyway, my fitter ordered 4-AW *heads* from TM on April 16th. They are expected to ship next week. Apparently they would be shipping sooner, but the AW is holding things up. I have a trip to Streamsong planned for the second week of May, so I am hoping to have these by next weekend. Looking unlikely though.

Still waiting for my clubs to arrive, but heard from my fitter on when I should expect them. I figured I would relay the information. Anyway, my fitter ordered 4-AW *heads* from TM on April 16th. They are expected to ship next week. Apparently they would be shipping sooner, but the AW is holding things up. I have a trip to Streamsong planned for the second week of May, so I am hoping to have these by next weekend. Looking unlikely though.

I was told the AW was backordered until August...

AW shows stock replenished date of 5/21 fyi

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

First real test last weekend - the Grand final of our winter golf league for two rounds at a nice course in the south of Sweden. Won the gross and net + the team comp on Saturday. Wind was about 2 clubs in the gusts and I beat the field by 6 shots :) Most notable shot was my second on the long par 4 nr. 14 where the wind came in from 2 o'clock and I had pulled my drive onto the next fairway. Was lying 195 meters from the flag with a couple of high birch right in line of the green. Hit 4 iron (haven't even carried a 4 iron the last couple of years since I felt I couldn't elevate the ball enough) and realize I won't be able to go over the trees. Hit a nice draw that is helped by the wind and ends up 3 meters from the flag :) Just missed the bird 2 cms on the low side.

Second day, hardly any wind. Feeling nice on the range but can't get the round going properly. Hit some nice shots though so it was more down to putting and short game. On the last hole I pushed my drive out into the tree line. Tried to punch out but hit a branch and fell down. Had 177 to the flag with massive bunkers to the left and water covering the front and right of the green. I've got branches hanging down but a good lie and I figure "if I can just hit a low faded 4 iron it should be on the green". Hit it to 4 meters and just barely miss the par put. Man, this 4 iron rocks!

All in all: I win best total over the two days + the single and team on Saturday. I promise - that would not have happened without these clubs. They sure are game changers.

//Andy

Congratulations! Just curious, what course did you play? I play in south of Sweden quite a bit. The courses are just opening here in Stockholm, but it will take a while to get the greens rolling smoothly.

Hi Max, thanks :) We played Bosjökloster. Very nice course with greens in excellent condition - fast and quite tricky with subtle breaks. It's quite close to Elisefarm so you can play two very good courses in the same area.

//Andy

Hickory:
Kro-Flite spoon
Gibson Maxwells
Standard Mills putter

Modern:
Wilson Triton
Tour Edge E8 beta 12*
Tour Edge E8 beta 16.5*
TM P790 4 - AW
Cobra King 56* and 60*
SeeMore

Shipping related post update:

Taylormade finally created my shipping label to send to my fitter...one day after they were supposed to arrive at my fitter and one day shy of 1 month since order.

This whole experience has me thinking that future TM products will be sourced by myself and I'll contract someone to put them together. 4 weeks is ridiculous regardless of demand when it's been made obvious throughout this thread that they can get them to you earlier if you have the means to call and complain until they do it or order stock. It's also obvious that they're still making enough to keep store shelves stocked with the stock offering so there's very little chance that company-wide there are certain club heads backordered

That said, I can give a ringing endorsement to Club Champion thanks to this whole ordeal. I have a trip coming next Wednesday and I really want to take my clubs. They are all but guaranteeing that they'll get them to me by then even if it means overnight or two day shipping on their dime provided that they get them from TM in time. I noted that I know they'll need to do some adjustments if the talk online of swingweights and lofts are correct and he all but confirmed that they already know they'll have to do some modifications there but it wouldn't slow them down.

My udi finally arrived today!!

What kind of shaft do you have on that bad boy? Mine is coming on Monday, had to go with stock hzrdous shaft because everything else was back ordered until june. Just happy I snagged one of the last ones left, cant wait!

TM Stealth 9 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Stealth plus 3 wood 15 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Sim2 TI 5 wood, 18 degrees 

Callaway UW '21, 21 degrees

TM P7MC 2023, 4-pw, fujikura axiom 125x

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, KBS graphite putter shaft

What kind of shaft do you have on that bad boy? Mine is coming on Monday, had to go with stock hzrdous shaft because everything else was back ordered until june. Just happy I snagged one of the last ones left, cant wait!

Same here. I went with the HZRDUS shaft too. I can change the shafts out if needed. You are going to love this cannon!!

I have the UDI in my cart with the stock shaft. It still says not available till 6/24

I have the UDI in my cart with the stock shaft. It still says not available till 6/24

Yep, they are severely backordered now unfortunately.

My P790's arrived yesterday afternoon, just in time to head out for a short golf vacation to Pinehurst today. I have no practice or playing time with the P790's at all, but I am going to leave the JPX900F at home and see if these new sticks can kick the Mizzy's out of the bag.

Mizuno JPX-900 | Fujikura Speeder EVO II 661
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17*
Mizuno JPX-900 Hybrid 21*
Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

using my P790 3i yesterday - there was a modified par 5, due to course work they shortened it to a 276y par 4. i hit it pin high about 30' right of the temp hole/pin.

club continues to impress me every time i hit it - sadly, ordering a 2udi will take forever. #onthefence

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

Can you call your bois in TM and tell them to get on the 2UDI in lefty??? Thanksssss.

haha i'll get right on it....

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

using my P790 3i yesterday - there was a modified par 5, due to course work they shortened it to a 276y par 4. i hit it pin high about 30' right of the temp hole/pin.

club continues to impress me every time i hit it - sadly, ordering a 2udi will take forever. #onthefence

If you hit the 3 that far, what do you do with the UDI -2, drop a 3W?

That is impressive.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

If you hit the 3 that far, what do you do with the UDI -2, drop a 3W?

That is impressive.

It was a little downwind admittedly but, i've hit it quite a few times already over 250+ carry. yes, i'd get the 2udi and drop the 3w entirely - assuming i could get a proper shaft for it (ie a touch higher launch and enough spin to hold a green); probably the pro white since it's so got dang good in the 3i.

for reference - i played with 2 guys that were both under 3 handicaps; one hit a 3H and was 20y short, the other hit a 1i TP UDI and was 10y short of my ball, same line.

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

280 yard 3. Is that you jason day
No lol not even close

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"