2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

... I measured my new set of P790's that I purchased on eBay. Maybe as close to spec for a stock set as I have ever measured. First # is the proper spec and the 2nd is the measured spec. I consider 1/2* in loft or lie to be virtually statistically insignificant. If measured on a different loft lie machine 1/2* difference could easily be different. Mine is a Mitchell Tour. Only 1* difference on the loft of the 8 and the lie on the 4. So the only real gap would be the 4* between the 8 and 9 and the 6* between the 8 and 7 which could definitely be a problem. But having measured many sets of new irons I am amazed at how close to spec these are.

P ... 45/64 45/64

9 ... 40/63.5 40/63.5

8 ... 35/63 36/62.5 (1* weak and 1/2* flat)

7 ... 30.5/62.5 30/63 (1/2* strong and 1/2* up)

6 ... 26.5/62 26/62 (1/2* strong)

5 ... 23.5/61.5 23.5/61.5

4 ... 21/61 20.5/62 (1/2* weak and 1* up)

3 ... 19/60.5 19/60.5

How did you get the set measured accurately ? purchased a 5 and a 4 iron. took the 5 iron out the other day and did not like how it performed. iron shots were short and right .

Hit a couple of second shots and they were the same distance and almost the same landing spot.

I find my dispersion better the higher I hit these. They’re so easy to hit, just what my Iron game needed.

My putter blew up my round today, still shot 79 but could have been low 70s. 3 three putts and two 3 footers missed. Usually my iron game is what brings me down and my putter is on point. Oh well! It’s nice hitting greens in regulation!

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

Have I said how forgiving these are?? Wow. The forgiveness carried bunkers today and helped me got more greens today when I wasn’t striking it that good. Can’t say enough just how good these irons are.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

... I measured my new set of P790's that I purchased on eBay. Maybe as close to spec for a stock set as I have ever measured. First # is the proper spec and the 2nd is the measured spec. I consider 1/2* in loft or lie to be virtually statistically insignificant. If measured on a different loft lie machine 1/2* difference could easily be different. Mine is a Mitchell Tour. Only 1* difference on the loft of the 8 and the lie on the 4. So the only real gap would be the 4* between the 8 and 9 and the 6* between the 8 and 7 which could definitely be a problem. But having measured many sets of new irons I am amazed at how close to spec these are.

P ... 45/64 45/64

9 ... 40/63.5 40/63.5

3 ... 19/60.5 19/60.5

How did you get the set measured accurately ?

... Not sure I understand your question. I was careful and meticulous?

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

First round with mine was below average. It was a scramble so take it with a grain of salt, but I struggled with turf interaction on these on the short irons. Mid and long irons are very good and feel much better than the tmb, but not sure I can play the whole set

I’ve played one round with mine and I don’t get the criticism of the short irons. I thought they felt great, just like the long irons. Very happy with the whole set so far.

Yeah, as a high spin player, the long irons are bananas long for me. I've always hit my five wood very high, but haven't really cared because I'm quite accurate with it and it's fit in the gaps in my bag fine, but today I hit a few direct comparisons between my four iron and five wood into the wind and I actually hit all of my four irons further. :-0

Think I'm going to have to bench my five wood and look for a lower launching/spinning hybrid to take that spot. I'm really loving these irons! They are the first irons I've ever played that make a real difference on the course for me.

Why not consider the P790 UDI? Seems like a natural choice if you have the iron set and love the long irons.

Thanks to all you fella's high praise and the good fortune of a TM demo day at the club we just joined 5 days prior. I pulled the trigger on a 3-pw. The club we joined (Brickyard of Macon Ga.) is longer than I'm accustomed to and had me hitting 4i(s) into par 4s. I just don't have the length with the s55s and the misshits were so unforgiving that I was constantly chipping for birdies and putting for bogeys. Hit the p790s (4,7,PW) at the demo day and couldn't believe the distance gain on flushed shots and misshits alike. I'm excited and relieved, I've really be punishing my game by trying to play players irons over a more forgiving gi-ish iron. Hopefully this will get my scores down a few strokes by finding a few more GIRs a round.

First round with mine was below average. It was a scramble so take it with a grain of salt, but I struggled with turf interaction on these on the short irons. Mid and long irons are very good and feel much better than the tmb, but not sure I can play the whole set

I’ve played one round with mine and I don’t get the criticism of the short irons. I thought they felt great, just like the long irons. Very happy with the whole set so far.

... I know I had an adjustment period with the short irons because they were a little longer and by hitting "touch shots" I was coming up short. Feel and turf iteration was great. Once I realized I just had to hit them aggressively with a 3/4 swing, everything clicked into place. I am hitting more greens than any time in my golfing life because I have complete confidence in every single P790 iron from my pw to my 4 iron.

... I know I had an adjustment period with the short irons because they were a little longer and by hitting "touch shots" I was coming up short. Feel and turf iteration was great. Once I realized I just had to hit them aggressively with a 3/4 swing, everything clicked into place. I am hitting more greens than any time in my golfing life because I have complete confidence in every single P790 iron from my pw to my 4 iron.

Time to add the 2 and 3 irons now:)

... True dat. I picked up a 3 iron with my second set but I am hitting my Cobra Utility so well I just cannot take it out of my bag!

I thought they felt great just couldn’t figure out how to hit them so felt like I was overlooking them on full shots and struggled with interaction on the short. However, we are talking with 1 round in a scramble

Yeah, as a high spin player, the long irons are bananas long for me. I've always hit my five wood very high, but haven't really cared because I'm quite accurate with it and it's fit in the gaps in my bag fine, but today I hit a few direct comparisons between my four iron and five wood into the wind and I actually hit all of my four irons further. :-0

Think I'm going to have to bench my five wood and look for a lower launching/spinning hybrid to take that spot. I'm really loving these irons! They are the first irons I've ever played that make a real difference on the course for me.

Why not consider the P790 UDI? Seems like a natural choice if you have the iron set and love the long irons.

I'm actually going to demo it on Wednesday, so we'll see. I've played driving irons in the past, but have come to prefer both hybrids and five woods over them. From a not so great lie, I've found driving irons worthless and I'm also worried it will roll out too much for what I sometimes need. With a heavier shaft in a hybrid or wood, I'm usually just fine from off the tee and fairway and they are more versatile for me.

But again, I'll demo it and hopefully it will surprise me! It would look a lot better in my bag compared to another club with a headcover on it. :-)

P ... 45/64 45/64

9 ... 40/63.5 40/63.5

3 ... 19/60.5 19/60.5

I was wondering what method you used to measure the loft / lie .

With all the talk of the irons being off I was looking to measure them as I do not really have a club fitter close to me to get acurate measurements.

Not sure if I would have a use to spend hundreds to measure loft on a couple of clubs.

Thanks

P ... 45/64 45/64

9 ... 40/63.5 40/63.5

3 ... 19/60.5 19/60.5

With all the talk of the irons being off I was looking to measure them as I do not really have a club fitter close to me .

... As stated in my post, I use a Mitchel Tour Loft Lie machine that is very accurate.

P ... 45/64 45/64

9 ... 40/63.5 40/63.5

3 ... 19/60.5 19/60.5

With all the talk of the irons being off I was looking to measure them as I do not really have a club fitter close to me .

... As stated in my post, I use a Mitchel Tour Loft Lie machine that is very accurate.

I must have missed that , sorry.

Looks like i need to find another avenue to get correct measurements.

... True dat. I picked up a 3 iron with my second set but I am hitting my Cobra Utility so well I just cannot take it out of my bag!

I owned the Cobra utility as well. The P790 UDI will blow it out of the water, trust me!

Want to get a 2 UDI cut to 39 inches. Or whatever the stock 3 iron length is so it doesn't feel like a huge jump in club from my 4 iron.

Good luck getting that at the correct swingweight from TM!

Figure on pulling the head and adding tip weight.

I ordered a P790 3 iron 1" short so that TM would likely put a heavy head on to get a decent swingweight.

Well, it came in at C7! I did put a HZRDUS Black 85g shaft in and added tip weight to get what I wanted.

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Ventus Blue+ 5x / Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I customized p790 with P lz and ETA is Oct 19th???

Local big store doesn't have single used p790 set in stock. Must be selling like pancakes

All the stores in my area are completely sold out of their sets, even sold their display sets. Totally crazy...

Is Tmag going anti-rbz days on purpose? Or are they so dumb they can't even match such a demand?

Either way they just lost a customer :(

Local big store doesn't have single used p790 set in stock. Must be selling like pancakes

All the stores in my area are completely sold out of their sets, even sold their display sets. Totally crazy...

Is Tmag going anti-rbz days on purpose? Or are they so dumb they can't even match such a demand?

Im sure they lost a lot of customers because of this, I was almost one of them. I don’t think TM thought these irons were going to sell like this. Hopefully they course correct moving forward.

Im sure they lost a lot of customers because of this, I was almost one of them. I don’t think TM thought these irons were going to sell like this. Hopefully they course correct moving forward.

I'm sure you're right. It's basic supply and demand. Unfortunately, to run an efficient business model you have to react to demand opposed to mass supplying in anticipation for demand. I'm sure they slow down on lower selling lines and pick up on the 790s if they haven't already. At the demo day I was at the m3 and m4 irons were not even displayed like the 790s were, I'm sure word has gotten around about the great white buffalo they have created.

I think they had some quality control issues to work out. Lot's of sets came in light and with bad loft and lie.

Probably delayed because they have to fix that.

I owned the Cobra utility as well. The P790 UDI will blow it out of the water, trust me!

... Your politician "trust me" aside ;) my King Utility just might be my favorite club. It has served me well and it snapped at the hosel when I was in Phoenix and had to play a month without it. I had a UDi 3 with me and I really liked it but not anywhere near as much as my KU. I just have infinite confidence with it. Cobra re-shafted it with my aftermarket Rogue Black 85 and I was sooooo happy to get it back when I returned home. I love my P790 4 iron so I get the love but the KU isn't leaving my bag.

... Your politician "trust me" aside ;) my King Utility just might be my favorite club. It has served me well and it snapped at the hosel when I was in Phoenix and had to play a month without it. I had a UDi 3 with me and I really liked it but not anywhere near as much as my KU. I just have infinite confidence with it. Cobra re-shafted it with my aftermarket Rogue Black 85 and I was sooooo happy to get it back when I returned home. I love my P790 4 iron so I get the love but the KU isn't leaving my bag.

Hit the P790 UDI and then see if your feelings are the same. Beats the Cobra in every category for me. I own both but not for long anymore...

Sam, I had seen you spent some quality golf time in Arizona and I think Florida. How long did it take for you to dial these in? That way I will know it will take about twice that long for me.

Can Anybody compare the 3i to the UDI? Even though I can't play the UDI b/c I'm lefty... I've heard the UDI is pretty much just a regular 3i but 2* stronger. Website lists a little bit less offset, but are the blade length and thickness the same?? I'm considering ordering the 3i to replace my U65. I've never been able to hit a 4i until now... this thing is pretty easy to hit and pretty forgiving. I assume the 3i shouldn't be an issue either than, especially since I'd mostly hit it off the tee.

the 3i and the UDI are definitely a little different. the sole is a touch larger/wider on the UDI, and the 3i seems (to me) a bit slimmer at address. i also think the 3i looks a touch smaller heel/toe. i can get pics tomorrow.

Would love to see the side by side with these!

Contemplating the 3 iron or the UDI.

i'll post tomorrow at demo day -- any other comparisons to TM irons you'd want to see? ie to 770? 750 (not really close)?

Yeah if you can.. the UDI vs the 3i, and say like... 8i or PW 790 vs 750.

i dropped the ball on getting these pics -- i'm sorry guys. from the second i got there to the second i left i was booked with appointments.

#donttazemebro

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”