Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

wondering if anyone could shed light on this...

I was fitted at club champion inside, and even did a refit to help with gapping. apex was around 90 feet with about every club except my PW/AW/5i

then i went to a titleist thursday, and i am not hitting the ball north of 75 feet on 95% of my shots.

initially i had a bad day, the fitter invited me to return to double check.

obviously an outdoor fitting is more accurate, though i am curious if anyone has seen distinct differences on an indoor/outdoor trackman session?

I find huge differences between outdoor and indoor fittings. I can’t always put my finger on why, but not a big fan of indoor fittings. Not sure if it’s hitting off artificial turf, or something mental. Much prefer outdoor fittings.

1 round in and I think I have the wrong shafts. Bought them here, 4-aw with project x 6.5. Seem too stout for me. Used to play X100, but any recommendations for something as a stronger stiff? Typically a low ball hitter here. Driver SS in the 110-112 range.these will end up on the BST for a hopeful trade!

Aren’t Project X shafts more butt stiff? Dynamic Gold is more butt soft. Maybe you’re very sensitive to that change in the shaft profile. Why’d you go away from Dynamic Gold, hitting the ball too low? I think a DG x100 is pretty close to PX 6.5 in terms of overall stiffness, just with different profiles.

1 round in and I think I have the wrong shafts. Bought them here, 4-aw with project x 6.5. Seem too stout for me. Used to play X100, but any recommendations for something as a stronger stiff? Typically a low ball hitter here. Driver SS in the 110-112 range.these will end up on the BST for a hopeful trade!

Aren’t Project X shafts more butt stiff? Dynamic Gold is more butt soft. Maybe you’re very sensitive to that change in the shaft profile. Why’d you go away from Dynamic Gold, hitting the ball too low? I think a DG x100 is pretty close to PX 6.5 in terms of overall stiffness, just with different profiles.

I mainly was interested in trying the heads and thought I could make them work. Hit a small bucket of balls and played them today. Previous owner played 2 rounds with them and he also didn’t like the shafts. I think I’m going to try something in stiff hopefully if I can offload these.

Went in today to test the P790 against the Cobra Forged Tec, Callaway Apex and the Ping G700 and found that the 790’s were about 5-10 yards longer than the others but dispersion was an issue for me. Had the same shaft in all, KBS Tour stiff, so they should have all been close. By far, the G700’s were much easier to hit and produced a 3 yard off line average over 8 shots where the 790’s were 17 yards off line. Pretty big difference and difficult to accept just to gain 5 yards.

I liked the size and look of the 790’s and they felt pretty good, but I just couldn’t hit them consistently enough. I have no doubt that they will be game changers for some people, but just not for me.

obviously an outdoor fitting is more accurate, though i am curious if anyone has seen distinct differences on an indoor/outdoor trackman session?

I have doubts about trackman for some indoor use. The place I go to has bays next to each other where one has trackman and the other GC2. I know my yardages and the GC2 is way more accurate. I think the difference has something to do with the difference the two systems work. GC2 seems to cope better with only having maybe 10ft of ball flight in a store before the ball hits the back of the net, whilst trackman is certainly the more accurate outdoors when it can follow the entire ballflight. No issues when I have used trackman outdoors.

My advice is always to get fit outdoors where you can see the full shot yourself anyway. And keep reverting back to your own club regularly during any fitting as a baseline, assuming you know how far you hit it. Fitters will often get you to hit your club first then show you improvement with a different club which may simply be because you get warmed up during the session. So once you find something that seems to show improvement, just go back to your baseline to see if that is still the case.

It’s going to be very interesting to see how TM improves on these irons. Big shoes to fill...
1. As I recall, the new p790 UDI has a "hotter" speedfoam!

So, like the new PXG GEN2 irons that would be a no brainer for the p790 Gen2 irons.

2. I personally would welcome a forged body like the PXG GEN2 irons. They definitly have a softer feel and I have owned and hit both models. Would be a little easier to bend also and I have bent both.

3. I would hope they work on the gap issues that have been talked about. For me I had to go 2* weak on the 4 -7 to see the better gaps...maybe Gen2 could deal with that.

4. The p790 competes with th PXG 0311XF model, which is the PXG distance iron. I would like to see the p790 Gen2 refined so it is more like the PXG 0311 t or p models, which have a little more spin/control.

Will be interesting to see what TM comes up with in there Gen2...which is certainly coming!

What else would everyone like to see?

Would be funny if TaylorMade calls the next iteration "Gen2ier"

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

You could consider soft stepping them? Have a builder pull them and soft step them? Of course you would need to buy a long iron shaft or two and pay the labor for the work.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

It⤙s going to be very interesting to see how TM improves on these irons. Big shoes to fill...
1. As I recall, the new p790 UDI has a "hotter" speedfoam!

So, like the new PXG GEN2 irons that would be a no brainer for the p790 Gen2 irons.

2. I personally would welcome a forged body like the PXG GEN2 irons. They definitly have a softer feel and I have owned and hit both models. Would be a little easier to bend also and I have bent both.

3. I would hope they work on the gap issues that have been talked about. For me I had to go 2* weak on the 4 -7 to see the better gaps...maybe Gen2 could deal with that.

4. The p790 competes with th PXG 0311XF model, which is the PXG distance iron. I would like to see the p790 Gen2 refined so it is more like the PXG 0311 t or p models, which have a little more spin/control.

Will be interesting to see what TM comes up with in there Gen2...which is certainly coming!

What else would everyone like to see?

Would be funny if TaylorMade calls the next iteration "Gen2ier"

I go with “GenBallizer”

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

You could consider soft stepping them? Have a builder pull them and soft step them? Of course you would need to buy a long iron shaft or two and pay the labor for the work.

I’m thinking with how easlily they seem to be selling, I would just sell them and try another used set. Maybe it was just a bad round, but wow, I’m thinking Modus 105.

Been playing golf over 30 years and these are the best irons I have ever had. They have lowered my score for sure. They are so forgiving, feel great, and just flat out perform. Been in the low 80’s for a few years and since going to the 790’s I am consistently in the mid to high 70’s.

Yes, being fit for my driver helped my scores too, but the irons just keep hitting greens. Best TM irons to date for the middle capper.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I’m thinking with how easlily they seem to be selling, I would just sell them and try another used set. Maybe it was just a bad round, but wow, I’m thinking Modus 105.

Modus 105 X would be a good place to look. Lighter weight, higher flight and descent spin. Plus they feel so smooth!

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Only have the 3 iron, bent to 18. After getting 15ish rounds in with it, a few observations.

-It's extremely forgiving on mishits, moreso than most long irons I've ever hit. It's extremely confidence inspiring off the tee.

-It launches high off the tee and mid trajectory off the deck, even bent 1 degree strong. Reasonable lies in the rough also aren't a problem which is a bonus for me.

-Looks at address are very nice as well.

Only criticism so far is that it almost launches too high, I'm struggling to flight it into the wind without having it balloon and lose a ton of distance (almost like a hybrid). Of course, I can play it back in my stance and trap it, but it would be nice to not have to work so hard to hit a pure, penetrating flight.

All in all, 9/10 and if you don't mind always having a high flight, 10/10 from me, at least for the 3 iron.

I’ll second the modus 105’s...have them in stiff and fly high / land soft. Also, no experience with flyers with these clubs. Low/thin hits very forgiving.

100% agree about Modus 105 shafts. No flyers and very accurate with a nice soft feel.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Went in today to test the P790 against the Cobra Forged Tec, Callaway Apex and the Ping G700 and found that the 790’s were about 5-10 yards longer than the others but dispersion was an issue for me. Had the same shaft in all, KBS Tour stiff, so they should have all been close. By far, the G700’s were much easier to hit and produced a 3 yard off line average over 8 shots where the 790’s were 17 yards off line. Pretty big difference and difficult to accept just to gain 5 yards.

I liked the size and look of the 790’s and they felt pretty good, but I just couldn’t hit them consistently enough. I have no doubt that they will be game changers for some people, but just not for me.

yup.....me too. I ended up with the forged-tec black.

I've had 2 sets of TM irons in the past and would get the occasional flyer. So that was also a factor in my decision. Maybe it was all the slots all over the club head.

Only have the 3 iron, bent to 18. After getting 15ish rounds in with it, a few observations.

-It's extremely forgiving on mishits, moreso than most long irons I've ever hit. It's extremely confidence inspiring off the tee.

-It launches high off the tee and mid trajectory off the deck, even bent 1 degree strong. Reasonable lies in the rough also aren't a problem which is a bonus for me.

-Looks at address are very nice as well.

Only criticism so far is that it almost launches too high, I'm struggling to flight it into the wind without having it balloon and lose a ton of distance (almost like a hybrid). Of course, I can play it back in my stance and trap it, but it would be nice to not have to work so hard to hit a pure, penetrating flight.

All in all, 9/10 and if you don't mind always having a high flight, 10/10 from me, at least for the 3 iron.

what length are you playing it at?

i pound the 5 iron and am struggling to hit the 4 iron further to be honest...thinking about lengthening the shaft a half inch to try to generate more speed....?

Would love to add the 3 iron, but worried will face the same issue

Lofts are good on the 5 and 4 - checked that already

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for me?

i pound the 5 iron and am struggling to hit the 4 iron further to be honest...thinking about lengthening the shaft a half inch to try to generate more speed....?

... I bent my 5-pw all 1* weak and have my 4 iron at 21.5*. I installed an Even Flow Blue hybrid shaft in my 3 iron bent 1/2* strong and it is 1/2" longer as well. So my gapping is 3-3-3-4-4.5-5-5-5* and it has worked well for me.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Played with mine 1 round now. It was ugly but I was not coming close to the club face. I am hoping it just takes a couple rounds to adapt. I have the modus3 120 in them. Coming from MP64 with PX 6.0. Would think these would be easier to hit.

I had same experience with the M3 440 I also purchased. First round was ugly. By the 3rd round, I was hitting it well. Hopefully keep getting better.

... I bent my 5-pw all 1* weak and have my 4 iron at 21.5*. I installed an Even Flow Blue hybrid shaft in my 3 iron bent 1/2* strong and it is 1/2" longer as well. So my gapping is 3-3-3-4-4.5-5-5-5* and it has worked well for me.

thanks

excellent advice - appreciated

I have the ef blue in a srixon 2i .....interesting idea in the 790 3i

cheers

Played with mine 1 round now. It was ugly but I was not coming close to the club face. I am hoping it just takes a couple rounds to adapt. I have the modus3 120 in them. Coming from MP64 with PX 6.0. Would think these would be easier to hit.

May be that you went from a very butt-stiff shaft...too a very butt-soft shaft.

PX 6.0 and Modus 120 are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Hard to think of two shafts that are more different.

I really like mine. I hit them easily 1 club further, probably closer to 2 clubs further than my Srixon Z945’s. I installed Accra Tour 100i shafts (x-stiff) in them and it’s a good combo. I’m amazed how straight they fly. They do fly high, but I have found using the TaylorMade TP5x ball is a sound combination to keep the ball flight down a bit.

A lot of people will knock them for ‘jacked up lofts’, but on Trackman my launch angle and landing angle is virtually the same as the Srixon Z945’s. The only difference is the spin with the P790’s is down about 300 rpm’s which is fine by me since I tend to launch the ball too high and really need to lean towards less spin than more spin.

I am going to replace the Accra Tour 100i’s with Fujikura Pro 115’s. I actually hit the Fuji’s further than the Accra’s and that was with a 7-iron w/Fuji Pro 115 that was ½” shorter than my 7-iron with the Accra’s.

The big difference I see is the smash factor is much greater with the P790’s. My Srixon’s also had TT DG X100 Tour issue shafts. I can generate more club speed with the P790’s and a greater smash factor. With the launch, max height and landing angles the same…the ‘jacked up lofts’ are really a moot point. They don’t feel as pure as hitting some forged Mizuno blades, but given their smash factors, they really feel quite fine. To me, I think the design concept is the wave of the future…create a muscleback design, thin out the face and take out the steel and replace it with a different, softer feeling substance.

RH

Put the 8-G in the bag last night matched up with the 5-6-7 F8 single lengths. Built them 1/2" long, 1* strong, Recoil 110s.

They feel unbelievably soft. I hit 3 or 4 PWs in a row where I just marveled at how good it felt. The 8/9 were definitely more workable for me. I love the F8SLs but I have a really hard time moving the ball with the "shorter" (8/9) irons.

Was looking forward to my first match with them tonight but its looking like a rainout.

Defintely very impressed so far.

(posted similar in the Single Length thread)

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash