Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Done trying to figure these out. Just nothing special,about these other than the finish.

Will be on the BST this week.

... 91 pages of golfers that play these and hit them longer, higher, straighter and find them more forgiving than any players iron they have ever used. Plenty on tour using long irons or the P790 UDi. The irony is I could not care less about the finish. Obviously there is a reason they make different irons from MB's to SGI's and no one club fits all and if they don't work for you they don't work for you, but the finish is probably the last thing on the list of why players love their P790's.

Whoa. Easy. It's okay he doesn't like them. I didn't like them either and that's okay. I think the P790's looks great but I didn't like the hollow feel I had when I made contact with them. It's good when these threads have both likes and dislikes. I'm a fan of TM too and not trying to pick on anyone.

It is fun seeing a cult classic grow though.

... I am right there other you, I think it is more than OK not to like the P790's or really any club for any reason at all. That is why we are here, to share our opinions and to hear others. As you said " I didn't like the hollow feel". It is never a good idea for people to come on a thread and make some kind of blanket statement like "Don't care about 91 pages of comments, these are too inconsistent, soft but light, a tad chunky, and generally meh." instead of saying " I find them too inconsistent ... or ... I think they are ... or .. for me they are ". One is a definitive statement, the other is an opinion.

... Fwiw, I was one that hated the G30LS when it had cult like status here and said on the thread "Didn't work for me as I hated the feel and sound" and sold mine quickly here in the classifieds. Same thing can happen here if someone bought but doesn't like the P790's and it can be a win-win for someone that does and someone gets to make a quick sale. All good, sometimes print doesn't reflect content. : )

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

I really do hope one of my playing partners buys a set of these. I have been dying to put a little foam caulk on the toe of their p790 and say "dude is that speed foam coming out of your 7 iron" right before a big shot.

Just a joke not a crtisism.

I would spray orange silly string on him in his backswing after he flushes one.

Done trying to figure these out. Just nothing special,about these other than the finish.

... 91 pages of golfers that play these and hit them longer, higher, straighter and find them more forgiving than any players iron they have ever used. Plenty on tour using long irons or the P790 UDi. The irony is I could not care less about the finish. Obviously there is a reason they make different irons from MB's to SGI's and no one club fits all and if they don't work for you they don't work for you, but the finish is probably the last thing on the list of why players love their P790's.

Whoa. Easy. It's okay he doesn't like them. I didn't like them either and that's okay. I think the P790's looks great but I didn't like the hollow feel I had when I made contact with them. It's good when these threads have both likes and dislikes. I'm a fan of TM too and not trying to pick on anyone.

... I am right there other you, I think it is more than OK not to like the P790's or really any club for any reason at all. That is why we are here, to share our opinions and to hear others. As you said " I didn't like the hollow feel". It is never a good idea for people to come on a thread and make some kind of blanket statement like "Don't care about 91 pages of comments, these are too inconsistent, soft but light, a tad chunky, and generally meh." instead of saying " I find them too inconsistent ... or ... I think they are ... or .. for me they are ". One is a definitive statement, the other is an opinion.

... Fwiw, I was one that hated the G30LS when it had cult like status here and said on the thread "Didn't work for me as I hated the feel and sound" and sold mine quickly here in the classifieds. Same thing can happen here if someone bought but doesn't like the P790's and it can be a win-win for someone that does and someone gets to make a quick sale. All good, sometimes print doesn't reflect content. : )

It wasn't a blanket statement, I singled out several key items I didn't like. Further, I've commented in this thread multiple times, and if you've read the 91pages you'd know that. Otherwise you're flame throwing.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

Well, I have played a set of 790's for a month now and am going back to my AP2's. I just can't dial in the yardages. The 8,9,W,A are 3-4 yards shorter thank my AP2's and the 5,6,7 are roughly 7-10 yards longer. The 790's are beautiful clubs and I like the turf interaction and solid strike feel. I just need the consistency of the AP2's and I am comfortable with 10 yard gaps between the irons. The rest of my bag is TaylorMade and I was hoping the 790's would be a good fit.

9.5* TaylorMade 2017 M1 HZRDUS Black 75x
15* TaylorMade 2017 M1 UST Proforce 79x
21.5* TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Hybrid Altus 85
718 AP2 4-W KBS Tour 105 S
54* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
58* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
TaylorMade Tour Spider 35"

For warranty reasons, TM is sending me a new set of 790's 5-A KBS Tour stiff that I am going to list on eBay.

You can't just drop a "for warranty reasons..." note in a comment and not tell us what happened lol! What caused you to file a warranty? If it was an M series iron I'd assume face cave. For the P series I haven't heard of any face caves (though I'm sure there have been some here and there maybe) so I'm curious. Only issues I've seen with the P series is some of the plates (the ones that say P770 and P750) falling off on the 770s and 750s.

For warranty reasons, TM is sending me a new set of 790's 5-A KBS Tour stiff that I am going to list on eBay.

You can't just drop a "for warranty reasons..." note in a comment and not tell us what happened lol! What caused you to file a warranty? If it was an M series iron I'd assume face cave. For the P series I haven't heard of any face caves (though I'm sure there have been some here and there maybe) so I'm curious. Only issues I've seen with the P series is some of the plates (the ones that say P770 and P750) falling off on the 770s and 750s.

Loft, lie and swing weight.

9.5* TaylorMade 2017 M1 HZRDUS Black 75x
15* TaylorMade 2017 M1 UST Proforce 79x
21.5* TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Hybrid Altus 85
718 AP2 4-W KBS Tour 105 S
54* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
58* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
TaylorMade Tour Spider 35"

Loft, lie and swing weight.

Ah. That makes sense. Thought something broke. Forgot that L/L/Swingweight would be included as a warranty claim.

Just bought a UDI on here from a fellow WRXer. Can't wait for it to come in! Back ordered like crazy anywhere else I've tried!

Stoked for this club, going to be putting a lot of hours in my sim with this off a tee.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

Took my P790 with Modus Tour 120, to Mesquite this weekend. So far, I have a wondering eye. While I did hit a few great long irons, the rest of the set leaves me pretty flat. I guess maybe I'm suffering from "Nothing feels like a Mizuno" withdrawals. My JPX 800 pro's feel a lot softer and fly almost as far. Oh, what to do. I bought them at the PGA Tour SuperStore, so I can exchange them in 90 days. Been reading the P790 or Cobra TEC Black thread, but I think it's really a "The CObra are way better than the P790 thread".

Anyone have any advice for a skeptical new owner?

I went to get fitted for a set if 718 AP2 irons. My numbers showed too much spin so I tried the 790s. I bought the P790s and an M3 driver. When I first hit them I absolutely fell in love with the M3 right away. I just liked the irons at first. After a few times with them I must admit, I am falling in love with the irons as well. They are long and straight and I still hit them high. So far very happy!!

Took my P790 with Modus Tour 120, to Mesquite this weekend. So far, I have a wondering eye. While I did hit a few great long irons, the rest of the set leaves me pretty flat. I guess maybe I'm suffering from "Nothing feels like a Mizuno" withdrawals. My JPX 800 pro's feel a lot softer and fly almost as far. Oh, what to do. I bought them at the PGA Tour SuperStore, so I can exchange them in 90 days. Been reading the P790 or Cobra TEC Black thread, but I think it's really a "The CObra are way better than the P790 thread".

Anyone have any advice for a skeptical new owner?

if you have legit free returns (not sure the pgass policy) then I would buy whatever other set and play with both on the same day. maybe front nine back nine. I got the forged tec today and so far love them but had I gone p790 I probably would have loved them as well. hit both. return what doesn’t win.

Another round with these, and more massive fliers. 185 out with a 6 iron and I nailed it. 22 yards past the pin. Nice clubs, but I just can't control them.

Evnroll ESR2 Black

For those with gapping issues, did you have lofts checked? And why wouldn't you just adjust the lofts to accommodate any gapping issues?
That’s what I did. Took the guy about an hour to bend 3-PW to my specs.
Here is a spreadsheet I had my pro make for me when he finished adjusting my P790s. The 50-60 wedges were off the rack Milled Grind wedges from TM. The 50 was almost a full 3 degrees strong. The lies were not to bad. Think they made my set before a Friday afternoon tee time.

Another round with these, and more massive fliers. 185 out with a 6 iron and I nailed it. 22 yards past the pin. Nice clubs, but I just can't control them.

Waiting on my set to ship, but this is my fear as well. I've hit the 7i on launch monitors and it's been ranging from 190-215 which is too big of a gap. Hoping it was crappy monitors at PGASS

Bandon Dunes 2016
Scottsdale 2017
Pinehurst 2018
Masters 2019

Bandon Dunes 2022

Waiting on my set to ship, but this is my fear as well. I've hit the 7i on launch monitors and it's been ranging from 190-215 which is too big of a gap. Hoping it was crappy monitors at PGASS

+1 for humble brag.

+1 for humble brag.

:lol: I 100% don't even want those yardages!!! I just want consistent, reliable numbers... What sucks about fitting/demo too is that they only have one head. I would've loved to hit some 5i and 9i in addition to 7i before I bought, given the unusual loft gapping throughout the bag with these. I guess I'll see soon enough. I definitely plan on getting my specs checked like you did.

Bandon Dunes 2016
Scottsdale 2017
Pinehurst 2018
Masters 2019

Bandon Dunes 2022

+1 for humble brag.

:lol: I 100% don't even want those yardages!!! I just want consistent, reliable numbers... What sucks about fitting/demo too is that they only have one head. I would've loved to hit some 5i and 9i in addition to 7i before I bought, given the unusual loft gapping throughout the bag with these. I guess I'll see soon enough. I definitely plan on getting my specs checked like you did.

I would just have them dial the lofts back a bit if you are hitting them farther than you would like. I have a personal launch monitor and I have seen consistent numbers throughout the bag with these irons. Probably more consistent than other irons, given the level of forgiveness these have.

+1 for humble brag.

It's not a humblebrag, it's a complaint. These things are not built for a high swing speed player. Just potentially too long.

Evnroll ESR2 Black

+1 for humble brag.

It's not a humblebrag, it's a complaint. These things are not built for a high swing speed player. Just potentially too long.

I mean... there are plenty of these irons in the bag of tour players. I would say they are high swing speed players.

+1 for humble brag.

I mean... there are plenty of these irons in the bag of tour players. I would say they are high swing speed players.

Mostly UDI and 3 irons though, where distance doesn't have to be as precise and getting those extra 10-20 yards sometimes is not as detrimental as mid irons

Bandon Dunes 2016
Scottsdale 2017
Pinehurst 2018
Masters 2019

Bandon Dunes 2022

Interesting, just found this:

“Jason hits it and I’m reading out the numbers for him — 256 carry, 275 total, crazy numbers — and he’s not even really trying to hit it that far,” Bystedt explained. “He’s shaping the ball, hitting a couple low shots, a couple of high shots. I mean you could see it in his face. Like, really? He hits a few more balls, walks over to his bag, takes out his old long iron, hands it to me and says, ‘I don’t need this anymore.’ He signed the face for me and that club is in my office now.”

As it turned out Day was not the only staffer who quickly bought into the idea of a hollow, soft, 4140 carbon steel head that is cavity filled, tungsten weighted and constructed with a wrapped face. Rahm is testing a P790 two-iron as a potential replacement for his UDi, “this allows him to work the ball a bit more,” Bystedt said. Dustin Johnson has also given the engineer thumbs up, although he too remains in test mode (long iron replacement) at least until the end of the season.

Somewhat surprising was Beau Hossler and Camilo Villegas ordering full sets, 4-PW, to put in play.

“There is more interest in full sets than I would have figured,” added Bystedt. “Hossler came into the truck, sees them, takes them to the range, then comes back to Wade (Liles) and says; “Why wouldn’t I play these?”

https://scoregolf.com/blog/rick-young/putting-together-the-p790s/

Can't find a recent WITB for either of those guys. Anyone know if they actually have more than 1 or 2 790s in play?

Bandon Dunes 2016
Scottsdale 2017
Pinehurst 2018
Masters 2019

Bandon Dunes 2022

I hear you on a lot of those points. I'm just simply reporting what I'm seeing (so far in small sample size) and so is mason82. I've seen you get very defensive earlier in this thread... I think you can dial that back a bit. No doubt these irons are game changers for a lot of people, but like everything else it may not work for everyone. I have no reasons to be making up these numbers... I want this set to work!

Bandon Dunes 2016
Scottsdale 2017
Pinehurst 2018
Masters 2019

Bandon Dunes 2022

I hear you on a lot of those points. I'm just simply reporting what I'm seeing (so far in small sample size) and so is mason82. I've seen you get very defensive earlier in this thread... I think you can dial that back a bit. No doubt these irons are game changers for a lot of people, but like everything else it may not work for everyone. I have no reasons to be making up these numbers... I want this set to work!
Only one way to find out bro. Let me know how they work out for you. Hopefully after you get all of the specs tailored to your game you see better results. If nothing else, sell them and play a different iron! I’ve got 4 different sets of irons in rotation, and while these irons are great, they are not the only thing out there. If they don’t fit your game, they don’t fit your game!