2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

It's okay. With the way I hack I won't be getting blades in my life time. I was just curious at the size difference between 730's and 790s. Others may feel different though....

from 730's to 790's?? that is a serious difference. my 2014 MBs and the P790 3i aren't even close.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

It's okay. With the way I hack I won't be getting blades in my life time. I was just curious at the size difference between 730's and 790s. Others may feel different though....

from 730's to 790's?? that is a serious difference. my 2014 MBs and the P790 3i aren't even close.

Yeah I mean I put your 6 or 7i next to mine and i was like mmmm yeah I could not hit these lol. Wasn't sure if the 730's were even smaller.

Yeah I mean I put your 6 or 7i next to mine and i was like mmmm yeah I could not hit these lol. Wasn't sure if the 730's were even smaller.

the 730's are almost identical heel to toe, sole width, and topline to my 2014 MBs

the 730's are almost identical heel to toe, sole width, and topline to my 2014 MBs

Interesting... so there's more... tech somehow in these? Other than looks, why would a skilled player go for 730's over your MB's. Surely at this point your MB's would be cheaper to buy?

Interesting... so there's more... tech somehow in these? Other than looks, why would a skilled player go for 730's over your MB's. Surely at this point your MB's would be cheaper to buy?

the 730's feel alot like my mbs. i might buy a set and throw them in the backup bag for when my mbs are toast. best MBs on the market right now are the MP18 blade, 730s, and the cally apex mb.

First round with mine was below average. It was a scramble so take it with a grain of salt, but I struggled with turf interaction on these on the short irons. Mid and long irons are very good and feel much better than the tmb, but not sure I can play the whole set

I've played one round with mine and I don't get the criticism of the short irons. I thought they felt great, just like the long irons. Very happy with the whole set so far.

... I know I had an adjustment period with the short irons because they were a little longer and by hitting "touch shots" I was coming up short. Feel and turf iteration was great. Once I realized I just had to hit them aggressively with a 3/4 swing, everything clicked into place. I am hitting more greens than any time in my golfing life because I have complete confidence in every single P790 iron from my pw to my 4 iron.

Sam, I had seen you spent some quality golf time in Arizona and I think Florida. How long did it take for you to dial these in? That way I will know it will take about twice that long for me.

... I would say right around 3 weeks playing every day in Orlando.When I got to Phoenix after 1 month off it probably took another week to combine the P790 performance with the dry, high altitude and hit weather. As stated earlier the short irons were the biggest challenge but figuring longer distances with the mid irons and even longer distances with the long irons just took a little time. Ball flight, feel and turf interaction where almost immediate though. Good luck, you are gonna really enjoy these irons. Interestingly Ari of Scratch Golf and now National Custom Works knows my game pretty well and he did not care for the P790's but knew I was contemplating getting a set and he said I would absolutely love them. He was so right.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

I customized p790 with P lz and ETA is Oct 19th???

Local big store doesn't have single used p790 set in stock. Must be selling like pancakes

All the stores in my area are completely sold out of their sets, even sold their display sets. Totally crazy...

Is Tmag going anti-rbz days on purpose? Or are they so dumb they can't even match such a demand?

Either way they just lost a customer :(

i predict if they only reason you are not buying a set is because there are none available currently due to high demand... you will end up buying a set unless you value spite over performance.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

P730 vs P790, both 3-irons. The difference is actually less profound in the pictures than in person (if you ask me).

P730 vs Miura 1957 vs Scratch SB-1 vs Hogan Precision, all 7-irons.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

Local big store doesn't have single used p790 set in stock. Must be selling like pancakes

All the stores in my area are completely sold out of their sets, even sold their display sets. Totally crazy...

Is Tmag going anti-rbz days on purpose? Or are they so dumb they can't even match such a demand?

i predict if they only reason you are not buying a set is because there are none available currently due to high demand... you will end up buying a set unless you value spite over performance.

... My favorite is those that loved them when they hit them but will not buy P790's because TM misjudged their market value so much that they are out of stock, and they will vote with their wallets and not support TM's P790's. TM is selling P790's as fast as they can produce them and cannot keep up with the demand so someone is gonna punish TM by not adding to their back order? Maybe punish Apple by not buying a new iPhone while you are at it. :swoon:

so when you need clubs now, you guys will stop playing for months until company can release them? LOL

... I seriously doubt anyone on WRX needs clubs now. We may certainly want clubs now but no doubt everyone here has at least one set of irons if not many more in reserve.

so when you need clubs now, you guys will stop playing for months until company can release them? LOL

... I seriously doubt anyone on WRX needs clubs now. We may certainly want clubs now but no doubt everyone here has at least one set of irons if not many more in reserve.

well, I need clubs now! I sold my last set few days ago. send me one of your extras, I'll send it back when Tmag can get me p790s !!

joking aside, availability is a important selling point too. and while p790 is a great set, there are many good alternatives out there too.

... I am sure some execs at TM are on the hot seat. Last thing an OEM wants is pi$$ed of customers because they demo'ed your irons and can't get any because they are back ordered. But imo the P790's are really special and well worth waiting for if they fit your game. I see a ton on eBay and in stores but understand special orders are needed for most players here that will not fit into stock everything or have the ability to do their own work. Of course no iron fits every player and there have been more than a few that did not like the 790's for a variety of reasons, although I have not hit any alternatives. I am not interested in anything PXG and I think that is the only iron in this same category.

I'd bet 99.9% of the people posting on WRX already have a workable set. Yea, the wait sucks (mine was 4 weeks), but if you love these things enough to spend almost or over $1300 on them I'd say it's worth it. Compared to everything else I hit at my fitting I think I'd be kicking myself for months if I went elsewhere.

The round I played with my old X Hot N14s was akin to torture, but those shafts where NEARLY suited to my swing or swing speed. 4 weeks of one scramble and one driving range trip was rough, but now I'm back ready to play!

... I am sure some execs at TM are on the hot seat. Last thing an OEM wants is pi$$ed of customers because they demo'ed your irons and can't get any because they are back ordered. But imo the P790's are really special and well worth waiting for if they fit your game. I see a ton on eBay and in stores but understand special orders are needed for most players here that will not fit into stock everything or have the ability to do their own work. Of course no iron fits every player and there have been more than a few that did not like the 790's for a variety of reasons, although I have not hit any alternatives. I am not interested in anything PXG and I think that is the only iron in this same category.

PXG isn't the only alternative out there... But honestly after trying AP3, which is most comparable to p790, I agree that there isn't a really good competitor out there. Which makes your point more painful for Tmag. You have customers wanting your item but your company can't deliver! This isn't Nike limited edition shoes. in 6 months, other companies will release newer and better sets and you won't have people waiting anymore.

I'm thinking ap2 for now.

I think maybe the 718 AP1 plays (maybe not looks) most like the P790 from the Titleist line. I own a P790 5i and have hit my BF's AP1's more than a few times and they perform very much alike IMO.

YMMV

PXG isn't the only alternative out there... But honestly after trying AP3, which is most comparable to p790, I agree that there isn't a really good competitor out there. Which makes your point more painful for Tmag. You have customers wanting your item but your company can't deliver! This isn't Nike limited edition shoes. in 6 months, other companies will release newer and better sets and you won't have people waiting anymore.

IMO the 718 AP1 is closest to the P790 from the Titleist line. I play a P790 5i and have hit my best friends 718 AP1 more than a few times and I think they are pretty close from a performance standpoint.

YMMV of course :-)

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

i may be in the minority, but this is the first time since ive joined this site that i only have 1 set of irons.

... but yes, i would never NEED new irons, just want new ones. However this is the most satisfied ive ever been with both performance and looks of a set.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

I think maybe the 718 AP1 plays (maybe not looks) most like the P790 from the Titleist line. I own a P790 5i and have hit my BF's AP1's more than a few times and they perform very much alike IMO.

YMMV

IMO the 718 AP1 is closest to the P790 from the Titleist line. I play a P790 5i and have hit my best friends 718 AP1 more than a few times and I think they are pretty close from a performance standpoint.

If the 718 AP1s are like the 716 AP1s, then no...they are nothing alike. Maybe they’re similar from a forgiveness standpoint, but looks and feel are not even close.

YMMV

If the 718 AP1s are like the 716 AP1s, then no...they are nothing alike. Maybe they’re similar from a forgiveness standpoint, but looks and feel are not even close.

I have never hit the 716 AP1 and therefore referenced specifically the 718 AP1 and then I was careful to be specific to limit my statement to "pretty close from a performance standpoint". When I referenced "performance", that intentionally omitted looks and feel and instead targeted overall distance, forgiveness, and consistence of carry distance (the latter is not the best attribute for either IMO). You might also notice the "YMMV" which is in stark contrast to your "no...they are nothing alike" absolute verbiage. So is this an innate gift of yours to be able to give an absolute performance comparison between two clubs, at least one of which you indicate you have never hit (the 718 AP1)?

Do you also post a strong game (no HC posted) without having to strike the ball? Which is the best iron set you have never hit?

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

YMMV

I have never hit the 716 AP1 and therefore referenced specifically the 718 AP1 and then I was careful to be specific to limit my statement to "pretty close from a performance standpoint". When I referenced "performance", that intentionally omitted looks and feel and instead targeted overall distance, forgiveness, and consistence of carry distance (the latter is not the best attribute for either IMO). You might also notice the "YMMV" which is in stark contrast to your "no...they are nothing alike" absolute verbiage. So is this an innate gift of yours to be able to give an absolute performance comparison between two clubs, at least one of which you indicate you have never hit (the 718 AP1)?

Do you also post a strong game (no HC posted) without having to strike the ball? Which is the best iron set you have never hit?

Lol, relax bro. They're pretty much the same and there are performance differences other than just look and feel (not to mention the fact that look and feel can indirectly affect performance, but that's a separate topic). Turf interaction is very different. The 718 & 716 AP1s have more offset, which will absolutely impact performance. Overall forgiveness may be similar but I found differences between specific types of mis-hits.

YMMV

No, they are not.

P´790 are forged face, and size wize they are more like AP3 ...

... Let me just put something to rest here. The P790's are the most accurate irons I have ever played. Yes, plenty of other irons I have played are equally accurate when struck well. But the combination of forgiveness and repeatable distances when slightly mishit is unlike any iron I have played. Last 4 rounds I have hit 16,14,14 and 15 GIR. Now I am not a high swing speed player (around 103mph with my driver) and although I am getting almost 1 full club more distance with my P790's when compared to my Cobra Forged Tours, those distances are absolutely repeatable and amazingly accurate. I will say that I have more confidence in these irons than any irons I have played, and that certainly figures into the accuracy equation. But iron play is the cornerstone of my game and I would not be playing P790's if the distances, trajectory or spin were inconsistent or I hit "hot fliers" that ended up over the green.

I think they had some quality control issues to work out. Lot's of sets came in light and with bad loft and lie.

Probably delayed because they have to fix that.

Can you elaborate on what you meant by "came in light"? As in not matching their set stock swing weight?

I just got my set in, and took it up to my club and had the head pro check the L/L. Lie was good on most +/- half a degree. Loft was 2 degrees off in some cases.

Anyone had any experiences bending these to other specs? Any difficulties with these not being forged heads?

You guys have me pretty jazzed up about these. What index would you say that these are for?

Apologies for not wanting to read 90 pages here, but would you say that these are hot faced like the Apex/Rogue irons from Callaway? I haven't hit the AP3 so I don't have any other comparisons...but I do know that distance-wise the Rogue pros blew the doors off my MP54s when I was messing around with them the other day, and I didn't even anything other than the standard shaft.

I think they had some quality control issues to work out. Lot's of sets came in light and with bad loft and lie.

Can you elaborate on what you meant by "came in light"? As in not matching their set stock swing weight?

I just got my set in, and took it up to my club and had the head pro check the L/L. Lie was good on most +/- half a degree. Loft was 2 degrees off in some cases.

Anyone had any experiences bending these to other specs? Any difficulties with these not being forged heads?

"TaylorMade P790 Irons Review. TaylorMade say that with the P790 they have created a forged distance iron for better players, which all sounds pretty good. It's not quite all forged though, as the wrap around face is forged from 4140 Carbon Steel and then welded onto a cast 8620 carbon steel body."

While the body is cast, it is of a softer 8620 metal, and I was able to bend the loft + - 2* fairly easily.

That is the same max amount for custom options specified via TM.

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Ventus Blue+ 5x / Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

got handed these by the fitter whilst i was getting fitted for a new driver and couldn't get it out of my head so arranged a iron fitting and ordered a set with Modus 105 shafts... picked them up yesterday which took a total of 3 weeks ... wasn't expecting these so early based on what I've read above and the fitter's estimate but i'm ain't complaining :)

fyi - got mine in Asia/Singapore so maybe the delivery schedules are different; just got the PW - 6i for now..

... Let me just put something to rest here. The P790's are the most accurate irons I have ever played. Yes, plenty of other irons I have played are equally accurate when struck well. But the combination of forgiveness and repeatable distances when slightly mishit is unlike any iron I have played. Last 4 rounds I have hit 16,14,14 and 15 GIR. Now I am not a high swing speed player (around 103mph with my driver) and although I am getting almost 1 full club more distance with my P790's when compared to my Cobra Forged Tours, those distances are absolutely repeatable and amazingly accurate. I will say that I have more confidence in these irons than any irons I have played, and that certainly figures into the accuracy equation. But iron play is the cornerstone of my game and I would not be playing P790's if the distances, trajectory or spin were inconsistent or I hit "hot fliers" that ended up over the green.

With your HC, it certainly carries some weight! The one part that surprises me is the repeatable part. But it does make great sense that a +0.7 would be more consistent on the face than a 18HC. This leads us to my question then: can a low HC, good iron striker benefit from the P790 compared to say the P770 (which I love) or the P750 or even P730? If your report is true and a player won't get the occasional missile some describe, then why would this iron not be for everyone except for the possibility of gapping when you get down to making the jump to your SW or LW?

Great post!

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I only have the 5i (an experiment that is working well) and bent it 2 degrees weak with my P770 6i bent 1.5 degrees strong.

The transition between the two is working out for me.

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD