Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Regarding p-790 shortages, if you don't want to wait, Ebay is your friend. If you need loft/lie adjustments just have your local shop with a Mitchell do it. These are easy to bend and most places will charge peanuts to do it (around $25 for a whole set of irons).

Mizuno JPX-900 | Fujikura Speeder EVO II 661
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17*
Mizuno JPX-900 Hybrid 21*
Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

... Let me just put something to rest here. The P790's are the most accurate irons I have ever played. Yes, plenty of other irons I have played are equally accurate when struck well. But the combination of forgiveness and repeatable distances when slightly mishit is unlike any iron I have played. Last 4 rounds I have hit 16,14,14 and 15 GIR. Now I am not a high swing speed player (around 103mph with my driver) and although I am getting almost 1 full club more distance with my P790's when compared to my Cobra Forged Tours, those distances are absolutely repeatable and amazingly accurate. I will say that I have more confidence in these irons than any irons I have played, and that certainly figures into the accuracy equation. But iron play is the cornerstone of my game and I would not be playing P790's if the distances, trajectory or spin were inconsistent or I hit "hot fliers" that ended up over the green.

With your HC, it certainly carries some weight! The one part that surprises me is the repeatable part. But it does make great sense that a +0.7 would be more consistent on the face than a 18HC. This leads us to my question then: can a low HC, good iron striker benefit from the P790 compared to say the P770 (which I love) or the P750 or even P730? If your report is true and a player won't get the occasional missile some describe, then why would this iron not be for everyone except for the possibility of gapping when you get down to making the jump to your SW or LW?

Great post!

... I have no reservation recommending this iron to any player at any level. Sure, a high index player both marginal ball striking skill would be better off with a SGI, but almost everyone else can benefit from their combination of forgiveness, distance and accuracy. I find the P790 to remind me of playing a links style course where you can hit the ball all over the place and still be in play. The fact that a slice or hook will not kill you enables you to take a freer swing resulting in straighter shots and more fairways hit, opposed to a tight course where you ether consciously or subconsciously guide the ball. Knowing the P790's will forgive slight mishits almost to the degree of center strikes and the distance will be there for all but the most egregious mishits, it gives you the freedom to swing freely without worrying about mishits which of course then results in fewer mishits.

... I cannot compare the 770/750's to the 790's as I have only hit them at the range. But imagine it would be up to each individual player to decide what is best for their swing and or their preferences in an iron from an aesthetic perspective. For me, hitting a slightly uphill 182 yd shot on the toughest hole yesterday with a gentle breeze in my face, I have never owned an iron that from that distance I had complete confidence in both distance and accuracy. I hit my 790 6 iron just past pin high to 15' and in the past it would have been a 5 iron and I would have thought I could hit a good shot but with the 790's I know I will hit a good shot. And I feel the same with my 4 iron, a club I did not even have in my bag with my last several sets. Fwiw, I have never been able to play a GI type iron and even the 588TT's, considered a more forgiving players iron, the thin face produced an inconsistent trajectory and yardage for me. I would alternate my Cobra Forged Tours that were more accurate with better feel and control and my 588TT's that were 1/2 club longer and more forgiving, choosing which set to play when I was playing a ton or when I had a lay off or change of season. Imo the P790's are a cross between the best of the 588TT's distance and forgiveness and the control, accuracy and feel of the Forged Tours.

... So the answer is, I think every player could benefit from playing the P790's with the exception of low index, high swing speed players that do not need or want any more distance. I have never universally recommended a set of irons because all irons have some kind of trade off and the P790's are the first iron I feel have no trade offs at all. They can do whatever you have the skill to pull off and the forgiveness to help all but the worst strikes.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

... Let me just put something to rest here. The P790's are the most accurate irons I have ever played. Yes, plenty of other irons I have played are equally accurate when struck well. But the combination of forgiveness and repeatable distances when slightly mishit is unlike any iron I have played. Last 4 rounds I have hit 16,14,14 and 15 GIR. Now I am not a high swing speed player (around 103mph with my driver) and although I am getting almost 1 full club more distance with my P790's when compared to my Cobra Forged Tours, those distances are absolutely repeatable and amazingly accurate. I will say that I have more confidence in these irons than any irons I have played, and that certainly figures into the accuracy equation. But iron play is the cornerstone of my game and I would not be playing P790's if the distances, trajectory or spin were inconsistent or I hit "hot fliers" that ended up over the green.

With your HC, it certainly carries some weight! The one part that surprises me is the repeatable part. But it does make great sense that a +0.7 would be more consistent on the face than a 18HC. This leads us to my question then: can a low HC, good iron striker benefit from the P790 compared to say the P770 (which I love) or the P750 or even P730? If your report is true and a player won't get the occasional missile some describe, then why would this iron not be for everyone except for the possibility of gapping when you get down to making the jump to your SW or LW?

Great post!

... I have no reservation recommending this iron to any player at any level. Sure, a high index player both marginal ball striking skill would be better off with a SGI, but almost everyone else can benefit from their combination of forgiveness, distance and accuracy. I find the P790 to remind me of playing a links style course where you can hit the ball all over the place and still be in play. The fact that a slice or hook will not kill you enables you to take a freer swing resulting in straighter shots and more fairways hit, opposed to a tight course where you ether consciously or subconsciously guide the ball. Knowing the P790's will forgive slight mishits almost to the degree of center strikes and the distance will be there for all but the most egregious mishits, it gives you the freedom to swing freely without worrying about mishits which of course then results in fewer mishits.

... I cannot compare the 770/750's to the 790's as I have only hit them at the range. But imagine it would be up to each individual player to decide what is best for their swing and or their preferences in an iron from an aesthetic perspective. For me, hitting a slightly uphill 182 yd shot on the toughest hole yesterday with a gentle breeze in my face, I have never owned an iron that from that distance I had complete confidence in both distance and accuracy. I hit my 790 6 iron just past pin high to 15' and in the past it would have been a 5 iron and I would have thought I could hit a good shot but with the 790's I know I will hit a good shot. And I feel the same with my 4 iron, a club I did not even have in my bag with my last several sets. Fwiw, I have never been able to play a GI type iron and even the 588TT's, considered a more forgiving players iron, the thin face produced an inconsistent trajectory and yardage for me. I would alternate my Cobra Forged Tours that were more accurate with better feel and control and my 588TT's that were 1/2 club longer and more forgiving, choosing which set to play when I was playing a ton or when I had a lay off or change of season. Imo the P790's are a cross between the best of the 588TT's distance and forgiveness and the control, accuracy and feel of the Forged Tours.

... So the answer is, I think every player could benefit from playing the P790's with the exception of low index, high swing speed players that do not need or want any more distance. I have never universally recommended a set of irons because all irons have some kind of trade off and the P790's are the first iron I feel have no trade offs at all. They can do whatever you have the skill to pull off and the forgiveness to help all but the worst strikes.

reading this actually makes me more confident in my 790s....initially i thought the gaps were too large, and they are a bit larger (i think) from my last/first set of irons (played RAC 5's for 13 years, but was fitted for the first time for these clubs, so i never knew my true numbers with my last set of irons.

i have more distance with these 790s, i love the ball flight, the feel is great for me.

My only issue is 15-16 yard gap between AW and PW (is that normal or acceptable?), and between 7i/8i/9i (this was my biggest issue since i bought the 790s, and i immediately noticed this...i hit again on trackman, and the fitter told me my gaps were good, as i had some mishits which threw off the averages) and between 5i/6i (acceptable?)

I have standard lofts. What are your specs? What are your gaps? If i had 10 yard gaps, i would never give up these irons, though i am relaly trying to get over this mental obstacle.

Very curious to see what you have...

I think maybe the 718 AP1 plays (maybe not looks) most like the P790 from the Titleist line. I own a P790 5i and have hit my BF's AP1's more than a few times and they perform very much alike IMO.

YMMV

... I am sure some execs at TM are on the hot seat. Last thing an OEM wants is pi$$ed of customers because they demo'ed your irons and can't get any because they are back ordered. But imo the P790's are really special and well worth waiting for if they fit your game. I see a ton on eBay and in stores but understand special orders are needed for most players here that will not fit into stock everything or have the ability to do their own work. Of course no iron fits every player and there have been more than a few that did not like the 790's for a variety of reasons, although I have not hit any alternatives. I am not interested in anything PXG and I think that is the only iron in this same category.

PXG isn't the only alternative out there... But honestly after trying AP3, which is most comparable to p790, I agree that there isn't a really good competitor out there. Which makes your point more painful for Tmag. You have customers wanting your item but your company can't deliver! This isn't Nike limited edition shoes. in 6 months, other companies will release newer and better sets and you won't have people waiting anymore.

I'm thinking ap2 for now.

IMO the 718 AP1 is closest to the P790 from the Titleist line. I play a P790 5i and have hit my best friends 718 AP1 more than a few times and I think they are pretty close from a performance standpoint.

YMMV of course :-)

No, they are not.

P´790 are forged face, and size wize they are more like AP3 ...

Friendly and well thought input....thank you. I do agree with your points about construction and size.

The Miata and the BMW M coupe are both made of steel, both have two seats, and two doors. I guess someone might say they are a lot alike? IMO they perform very differently.

IMO, the AP1 performs more closely to the P790 than does the AP3. I would imagine that a potential buyer might want to hit both. Maybe they will all pick the AP3 because they are the same size as the P790 and forged?

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I think maybe the 718 AP1 plays (maybe not looks) most like the P790 from the Titleist line. I own a P790 5i and have hit my BF's AP1's more than a few times and they perform very much alike IMO.

YMMV

... I am sure some execs at TM are on the hot seat. Last thing an OEM wants is pi$$ed of customers because they demo'ed your irons and can't get any because they are back ordered. But imo the P790's are really special and well worth waiting for if they fit your game. I see a ton on eBay and in stores but understand special orders are needed for most players here that will not fit into stock everything or have the ability to do their own work. Of course no iron fits every player and there have been more than a few that did not like the 790's for a variety of reasons, although I have not hit any alternatives. I am not interested in anything PXG and I think that is the only iron in this same category.

PXG isn't the only alternative out there... But honestly after trying AP3, which is most comparable to p790, I agree that there isn't a really good competitor out there. Which makes your point more painful for Tmag. You have customers wanting your item but your company can't deliver! This isn't Nike limited edition shoes. in 6 months, other companies will release newer and better sets and you won't have people waiting anymore.

IMO the 718 AP1 is closest to the P790 from the Titleist line. I play a P790 5i and have hit my best friends 718 AP1 more than a few times and I think they are pretty close from a performance standpoint.

No, they are not.

Friendly and well thought input....thank you. I do agree with your points about construction and size.

The Miata and the BMW M coupe are both made of steel, both have two seats, and two doors. I guess someone might say they are a lot alike? IMO they perform very differently.

IMO, the AP1 performs more closely to the P790 than does the AP3. I would imagine that a potential buyer might want to hit both. Maybe they will all pick the AP3 because they are the same size as the P790 and forged?

I didn’t mean to be rude. Just concise.

The AP1 is similar designed as the M3 iron offer from TM. On the SGI categorie.

P-790 is a players GI / distance. Titleist club for that is AP3.

That is their targeted market.

I guess build time depends on what you custom order. I ordered a 4 iron with Project X LZ 5.5 (Softstepped) on May 4th, it shipped yesterday, and scheduled for delivery Tuesday.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I ordered a 8-G/Recoil set the first week in April.

Initial ship date listed on the order page and receipt was 4/22.

Called them today and its now 5/13.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

YMMV

No, they are not.

If you keep making fun of the Miata, ClubProGuy may show up at your front door with Darrel Bevins.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

I second this. Also moderate ss. Hcp 7.

Haven't seen a "flyer" or a "hot spot".

Accurate and forgiving. Workable.

Was an MP 32 player for years. These remind me of the look with a slightly thicker topline but more forgiving.

Feel is in between MP forged (the softest) and cast (my last set was XR Pro).

I really like the less offset than previous set. Again they remind me of the 32s.

Very happy with these sticks!

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB 
Ping G425 7 wood (19*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 4 hybrid (22*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB 

Srixon Z 785 irons A-8 / 585 mkll 7-6 irons  - Recoil SmacWrap 
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - yellow
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol

Question for fellow P790 users.

Recently picked up a new P790 4 iron off eBay, from an authorized TaylorMade seller, and upon initial inspection I noticed a dot placed next to the serial number. Anyone know the reasoning behind that? Tour Issue?

Also it plays almost a full 1 inch longer than my 3 iron, so I will likely have to cut it down.

This is a photo of my 5 iron vs the new 4 iron. 5 iron is on top in the photo.

Just picked up a set of these off the forum that should be here Monday. Can’t wait to play them. I got one of the M3 7 irons from Taylormade in their club giveaway and was impressed with it just didn’t like the workability of it. I liked it so much though that I bought the 790’s to have a similar feel. Will update when I get to play alittle next week with these

Regarding the etched dot on the hosel near the ferrule...I have it on very good authority from a top custom fitter builder that TM uses lighter weight heads for longer than stock builds. I also confirmed this on my P790 3 iron I had built at +1/2" direct from Taylormade.

So you’re saying the etched dot indicates that the head is lighter than a standard issue 4 iron head?

How would that affect the swing weight is I was to put a driving iron graphite shaft?

Regarding the etched dot on the hosel near the ferrule...I have it on very good authority from a top custom fitter builder that TM uses lighter weight heads for longer than stock builds. I also confirmed this on my P790 3 iron I had built at +1/2" direct from Taylormade.

This is what I heard as well. The small dot indicates a lighter weighted head.

So you’re saying the etched dot indicates that the head is lighter than a standard issue 4 iron head?

How would that affect the swing weight is I was to put a driving iron graphite shaft?

When used in a standard length shaft, the lighter weight head will cause a lighter than stock swing weight. Stock swing-weight for P790s is D2. So if the shaft in it currently is 1 inch longer than stock, that would add about 6 swing-weight points. It would take a head that is about 12 grams lighter than the normal head to offset that. So if you cut that shaft down one inch, you’d need to add 12 grams of either lead tape or tip weights to offset the loss of swing weight.

What will sw be with recoil 95 f4 ordered quarter inch short

All depends on what TM would do to offset the loss of swing-weight. They told me in an online chat before that they don’t mess with swing-weights when shorter or longer shafts are ordered. But clearly they have lighter heads that they use, so I’m not sure what the truth is. Quarter inch short shaft would drop the swing-weight 1.5 points compared to stock length.

When used in a standard length shaft, the lighter weight head will cause a lighter than stock swing weight. Stock swing-weight for P790s is D2. So if the shaft in it currently is 1 inch longer than stock, that would add about 6 swing-weight points. It would take a head that is about 12 grams lighter than the normal head to offset that. So if you cut that shaft down one inch, you’d need to add 12 grams of either lead tape or tip weights to offset the loss of swing weight.

Thanks for the information! Here is a quote from the listing —NEW TaylorMade P790 Tungsten Forged #4 Single Iron Right Handed

**Club is approximately 40.25 inches**

Steel Shaft- KBS Tour 120by FST Stiff Flex—

I believe the TaylorMade standard length for these 4 irons is 38.25 inches for steel and 38.5 inches for graphite.

That being said, is going that much shorter with a graphite shaft feasible with this lighter head? The P790 3 iron I have has a Tour AD 95 and plays to 39.5 inches, but has a standard weighted head.

So youâre saying the etched dot indicates that the head is lighter than a standard issue 4 iron head?

When used in a standard length shaft, the lighter weight head will cause a lighter than stock swing weight. Stock swing-weight for P790s is D2. So if the shaft in it currently is 1 inch longer than stock, that would add about 6 swing-weight points. It would take a head that is about 12 grams lighter than the normal head to offset that. So if you cut that shaft down one inch, youâd need to add 12 grams of either lead tape or tip weights to offset the loss of swing weight.

Thanks for the information! Here is a quote from the listing âNEW TaylorMade P790 Tungsten Forged #4 Single Iron Right Handed

**Club is approximately 40.25 inches**

Steel Shaft- KBS Tour 120by FST Stiff Flexâ

I believe the TaylorMade standard length for these 4 irons is 38.25 inches for steel and 38.5 inches for graphite.

That being said, is going that much shorter with a graphite shaft feasible with this lighter head? The P790 3 iron I have has a Tour AD 95 and plays to 39.5 inches, but has a standard weighted head.

So it’s two inches longer than standard? 40.25 vs 38.25? That equivalent to 24 grams of head weight, which is a lot. More than you’d want to do with lead tape. Tip weights might do the job but I’ve never dealt with it so not sure. I’d start a thread in the WRX Club Techs forum.

Done trying to figure these out. Just nothing special,about these other than the finish.

Will be on the BST this week.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

Done trying to figure these out. Just nothing special,about these other than the finish.

... 91 pages of golfers that play these and hit them longer, higher, straighter and find them more forgiving than any players iron they have ever used. Plenty on tour using long irons or the P790 UDi. The irony is I could not care less about the finish. Obviously there is a reason they make different irons from MB's to SGI's and no one club fits all and if they don't work for you they don't work for you, but the finish is probably the last thing on the list of why players love their P790's.

This is what I heard as well.

... Before I think about picking up the 790 UDi I am doing an experiment and put an Even Flow Blue 85 Hybrid shaft in my 780 #3 iron to see how it compares to my King Utility with a Rogue Black 85 hybrid that I love. #3 iron is 19* and KU is 18.5* so it should be a good test.

... 91 pages of golfers that play these and hit them longer, higher, straighter and find them more forgiving than any players iron they have ever used. Plenty on tour using long irons or the P790 UDi. The irony is I could not care less about the finish. Obviously there is a reason they make different irons from MB's to SGI's and no one club fits all and if they don't work for you they don't work for you, but the finish is probably the last thing on the list of why players love their P790's.

I don't care about the finish either, but it's the only quality that stands out for me. Don't care about 91 pages of comments, these are too inconsistent, soft but light, a tad chunky, and generally meh.

Evnroll ESR2 Black

I don't care about the finish either, but it's the only quality that stands out for me. Don't care about 91 pages of comments, these are too inconsistent, soft but light, a tad chunky, and generally meh.

... They are inconsistent, light or a tad chunky for you. The point I was making is these are special for quite a number of players and I have not seen buzz like this for irons in quite a while. I get you don't like them but that doesn't mean they are not special irons for many others, hence the 91 pages. As a + index I see players of all levels loving the P790's which is really pretty rare.

... They are inconsistent, light or a tad chunky for you. The point I was making is these are special for quite a number of players and I have not seen buzz like this for irons in quite a while. I get you don't like them but that doesn't mean they are not special irons for many others, hence the 91 pages. As a + index I see players of all levels loving the P790's which is really pretty rare.

Oh I was talking bout me?

Evnroll ESR2 Black

Whoa. Easy. It's okay he doesn't like them. I didn't like them either and that's okay. I think the P790's looks great but I didn't like the hollow feel I had when I made contact with them. It's good when these threads have both likes and dislikes. I'm a fan of TM too and not trying to pick on anyone.

It is fun seeing a cult classic grow though.