2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Official Aldila Black, Green, Copper Mamba Trackman Review Thread. Comparison to Tensei Pro Product.

TollBros

Said I'd get back with feedback on the Copperhead 70tx. Supposedly its tipped 1/2". I'd be curious to know the tip to graphic if anyone has it, just to confirm. I am playing it really short at 44". Thought I'd end up extending it a 1/3 or 1/2 inch but I don't think I will, I am loving the length actually. I've got a little extra weight in the head (only 2 grams I think, haven't weighted the head alone). Its swing weighting light, but not crazy light - D0 on the button. So the shaft is counter weighted, but not extremely so.

On to the review... I find this shaft to be pretty tight. Which is why I am switching to it, forgot how much I like that feel. I am coming from the Kuro Kage 2013 Proto. Doesn't seem many have played that shaft, but its been phenomenal for me. Supposedly a pretty butt firm shaft with amazing feel, definitely has a stable tip though. Honestly didn't think it would be replaced anytime soon (even bought another one recently in the 70XX). Copper is definitely the tighter of these two. So for those who might be worried that Copper is loose in the hands that is not the case for me. I never swung Tensei Orange V2 (apparently these two are quite similar), many said that shaft is for the smooth swinger. Again not my experience at all with the Copperhead. The Copper is probably just a tiny bit more active in the tip than the KK proto, but spin has not been a problem at all for me. That said I am pretty adept at catching the face in the same, low spin area.

Copper definitely has a little kick, but plenty stable for my horsepower. If you are somewhat aggressive, but not swinging it 120 I can't imagine not getting good results from this shaft. I would says its a crisper feeling shaft too. If you want super smooth I think there are better options. But I am probably coming from one of the smoother shafts around so I might be biased. I am thinking that might be the case based on other's experience. Maybe its actually tipped closer to a full inch and is just playing taut, but I don't find this shaft loose in any way really, and its flat out awesome.

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw; X Forged '18 4i | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Evnroll ER2v Long Plumbers Neck

Said I'd get back with feedback on the Copperhead 70tx. Supposedly its tipped 1/2". I'd be curious to know the tip to graphic if anyone has it, just to confirm. I am playing it really short at 44". Thought I'd end up extending it a 1/3 or 1/2 inch but I don't think I will, I am loving the length actually. I've got a little extra weight in the head (only 2 grams I think, haven't weighted the head alone). Its swing weighting light, but not crazy light - D0 on the button. So the shaft is counter weighted, but not extremely so.

On to the review... I find this shaft to be pretty tight. Which is why I am switching to it, forgot how much I like that feel. I am coming from the Kuro Kage 2013 Proto. Doesn't seem many have played that shaft, but its been phenomenal for me. Supposedly a pretty butt firm shaft with amazing feel, definitely has a stable tip though. Honestly didn't think it would be replaced anytime soon (even bought another one recently in the 70XX). Copper is definitely the tighter of these two. So for those who might be worried that Copper is loose in the hands that is not the case for me. I never swung Tensei Orange V2 (apparently these two are quite similar), many said that shaft is for the smooth swinger. Again not my experience at all with the Copperhead. The Copper is probably just a tiny bit more active in the tip than the KK proto, but spin has not been a problem at all for me. That said I am pretty adept at catching the face in the same, low spin area.

Copper definitely has a little kick, but plenty stable for my horsepower. If you are somewhat aggressive, but not swinging it 120 I can't imagine not getting good results from this shaft. I would says its a crisper feeling shaft too. If you want super smooth I think there are better options. But I am probably coming from one of the smoother shafts around so I might be biased. I am thinking that might be the case based on other's experience. Maybe its actually tipped closer to a full inch and is just playing taut, but I don't find this shaft loose in any way really, and its flat out awesome.

I agree. That was the benefit of Copperhead. Performs like V2 orange but stands up to a more aggressive tempo.

• 5 months later...

Anyone still playing these?

I have had my Copperhead from Tolls for most of this golf season. Playing in a Ping G LST. I have never been more confident in the driver. FIR is up 7% over last year, but the biggest thing is the misses are 1st cut or just off. I have had maybe one OB tee ball with it, last year I averaged one OB a round. The Green Mamba in my three wood is also very good.

Back to playing more and the Green 60TX is back in the bag

Forgot how much I liked the shaft

Might end up picking up a 70 to try in a 3w

Never got around to doing it, like my current set up a lot

TM 2017 M2 - Oban Kyoshi tour limited 04 60
King Cobra F7 3 wood Hzrdus Red 6.5 65
King Cobra F7 2 hybrid GD 95 X
Honma TW737VS 5 -PW Modus 120X SS1
Sm6 50 F - Miura 56 K - Miura 59 C - KBS 610 125 S+
TP5

Have the Green Mamba 60 TX straight in 10.5 M4. Just came from course - got best results with this combo over: oban tour limited 04 flex with M4. Rogue with GD TP 6S - Rogue Ad Iz 6 x.

Flight seemed a little high though, other than some pulls, dispersion was good. Going to loft down a bit but wondering about tipppng it maybe a 1/2” to start. Maybe bring the ball flight down a

bit. Always worried about tipping tho. Swinging at around 105-106.

Will 1/2” have any effect on the Green?

Thanks

TM 2017 M2 - Oban Kyoshi tour limited 04 60
King Cobra F7 3 wood Hzrdus Red 6.5 65
King Cobra F7 2 hybrid GD 95 X
Honma TW737VS 5 -PW Modus 120X SS1
Sm6 50 F - Miura 56 K - Miura 59 C - KBS 610 125 S+
TP5

Have the Green Mamba 60 TX straight in 10.5 M4. Just came from course - got best results with this combo over: oban tour limited 04 flex with M4. Rogue with GD TP 6S - Rogue Ad Iz 6 x.

Flight seemed a little high though, other than some pulls, dispersion was good. Going to loft down a bit but wondering about tipppng it maybe a 1/2” to start. Maybe bring the ball flight down a

bit. Always worried about tipping tho. Swinging at around 105-106.

Will 1/2” have any effect on the Green?

Thanks

Tipping 1/2 inch will cut off a bit of spin which will lower your apex height.

I think I settled on the Xtorsion for my ping LS. Just needed more time with it. I lowered the loft .6 on my Ping ls. Still launches fairly high but goes. I tipped it 1/2 probably could have gone a full 1". So smooth.

I also have the synergy black. I just had to try it. Launches a little to low for my window. When I hit I look up and a certain hight and want to see the ball. This is just below that. Not too bad. Will be on the bst later.

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

BTW - looks like Molinari who just won the BMW PGA has a Green Mamba in his 3 wood.

Kevin Chapell plays one in the 3 wood as well.

Toll

What have you seen from the Black Mamba in a fairway wood?

Thx

Similar to a Kuro Kage Dual Core XT, but a little tighter feeling and more fade prone.

• 2 weeks later...

As a long time reader of this forum I'm finally making my first post. First off thank you to everyone for your contributions to all of these threads. I've read through information for years and learn something new every day. Again, thank you.

I've been playing the Aldila Rogue Max Low in a 60X (from Titleist so I'm not sure if it is tipped), but am very interested in the Copper in 70TX. How will the launch/spin compare from these two models? My swing speed is around 115-118 with a smooth to moderate transition. Smoother typically is always better for my dispersion as quick transition tends to get left on me. Thanks!

I've been playing the Aldila Rogue Max Low long in a 60X, but am very interested in the Copper. How will the launch/spin compare from these two models? My swing speed is around 115-118 with a smooth to moderate aggressive transition. Smoother tends to be better for my dispersion for me. Thanks!

if you're on the smoother end of the spectrum you could do copper 70tx or the green 60tx imo.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

As a long time reader of this forum I'm finally making my first post. First off thank you to everyone for your contributions to all of these threads. I've read through information for years and learn something new every day. Again, thank you.

I've been playing the Aldila Rogue Max Low in a 60X (from Titleist so I'm not sure if it is tipped), but am very interested in the Copper in 70TX. How will the launch/spin compare from these two models? My swing speed is around 115-118 with a smooth to moderate transition. Smoother typically is always better for my dispersion as quick transition tends to get left on me. Thanks!

As Gio said, Copperhead is a very stable but smooth shaft that works quite well with smooth tempos. Also, TX is certainly the proper flex for your speed in that shaft. We have them in stock and I would be happy to assist with helping to fit and set up the club if you go this route.

Figured I'd add what I could to this review thread:

Background: Purchased a Black Mamba 60TX from Toll earlier this year - Tipped 1", plays at 44.5" in an M2 (9.5 degrees); replaced the stock weight with a 15g to get to D2. I have it in the "Lower" setting (-2). I must say, the looks are fantastic.

About my swing: Backswing just short of parallel with an aggressive/fast tempo; SS 118-120.

Previous driver: R11 with Rogue Silver 110 70X (untipped).

While I don't have a lot of experience trying high-end shafts, what I can say is that this shaft feels extremely tight and stable. These characteristics work well with the aggressive transition I have, and even though I am not the most consistent player out there, I feel like I know exactly where the clubhead is and which way it is facing.

What I have noticed is that if I am in "warm-up" mode, or feeling lazy, the shaft laughs at me. But, once I am in attack mode, I can go all-out and I know where the clubhead is, and more importantly, where the ball is going (not always where I want it to LOL). Even on the low, heely hits that usually mean a lazy, slicey ball that lands and stops dead, the ball flight is still strong and holds it's line better than it ought to, and goes forever.

I haven't found the trajectory to be much different than I saw with my Rogue 70X/R11 combo, but the ball seems to keep going forward with the Mamba vs up, if that makes sense. I have also had better results in the wind than I am used to - so yes, spin is down and I like it!

I also really liked the HZRDUS Black during a fitting, so that would be a good reference in terms of the profile.

Thanks for reading :)

Figured I'd add what I could to this review thread:

Background: Purchased a Black Mamba 60TX from Toll earlier this year - Tipped 1", plays at 44.5" in an M2 (9.5 degrees); replaced the stock weight with a 15g to get to D2. I have it in the "Lower" setting (-2). I must say, the looks are fantastic.

About my swing: Backswing just short of parallel with an aggressive/fast tempo; SS 118-120.

Previous driver: R11 with Rogue Silver 110 70X (untipped).

While I don't have a lot of experience trying high-end shafts, what I can say is that this shaft feels extremely tight and stable. These characteristics work well with the aggressive transition I have, and even though I am not the most consistent player out there, I feel like I know exactly where the clubhead is and which way it is facing.

What I have noticed is that if I am in "warm-up" mode, or feeling lazy, the shaft laughs at me. But, once I am in attack mode, I can go all-out and I know where the clubhead is, and more importantly, where the ball is going (not always where I want it to LOL). Even on the low, heely hits that usually mean a lazy, slicey ball that lands and stops dead, the ball flight is still strong and holds it's line better than it ought to, and goes forever.

I haven't found the trajectory to be much different than I saw with my Rogue 70X/R11 combo, but the ball seems to keep going forward with the Mamba vs up, if that makes sense. I have also had better results in the wind than I am used to - so yes, spin is down and I like it!

I also really liked the HZRDUS Black during a fitting, so that would be a good reference in terms of the profile.

Thanks for reading :)

It's always great to hear that a product is exceeding expectations. :)

• 1 month later...

Toll thanks for all the great info in these threads.

I was fitted for an Accra RPG in the spring and hated it basically as soon as I got it. I finally decided to ditch it and picked up a Copperhead TX out of desperation and it's incredible. I actually went down a hair in loft because the launch is a bit higher. I haven't been on trackman since I put it in play but to my eye the ball speeds are up but even bigger for me is not feeling like I need to help it up at all. That's huge for me because my miss is a block caused by tilting back.

As others have said it's easy to load, feels smooth but never loose. I build speed pretty gradually so I can take a good rip at it and it stays with me the whole way.

I would never have known to look at this shaft if it wasn't for all the great testing and sharing you guys do.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

Following up on this. Reached out to toll and after speaking with him the green mamba 70tx was the ticket for me. For anyone who can get away with a little higher launching/spinning shaft the green mamba is the ticket. One of the smoothest feeling shafts I’ve put into play. Came from the diamana s+ 70tx and the green mamba is a touch lower launching and spinning. Possibly going to snag an 80tx to put in a 3 wood.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Toll thanks for all the great info in these threads.

I was fitted for an Accra RPG in the spring and hated it basically as soon as I got it. I finally decided to ditch it and picked up a Copperhead TX out of desperation and it's incredible. I actually went down a hair in loft because the launch is a bit higher. I haven't been on trackman since I put it in play but to my eye the ball speeds are up but even bigger for me is not feeling like I need to help it up at all. That's huge for me because my miss is a block caused by tilting back.

As others have said it's easy to load, feels smooth but never loose. I build speed pretty gradually so I can take a good rip at it and it stays with me the whole way.

I would never have known to look at this shaft if it wasn't for all the great testing and sharing you guys do.

I appreciate the kind words. It certainly is rewarding to assist in some small way in helping others enjoy the game more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just ordered the xtorsion copper in 70tx. Planning to play it at 44.5” in my Cobra F8+. My ss is around 115, moderately aggressive. I was just wondering whether anyone had any recommendations on tipping? I was thinking tipping it a 1/2 inch though I don’t really have any idea what’s best. The Aldila website seems to say to butt cut it to length. Any advice is appreciated!

I just ordered the xtorsion copper in 70tx. Planning to play it at 44.5” in my Cobra F8+. My ss is around 115, moderately aggressive. I was just wondering whether anyone had any recommendations on tipping? I was thinking tipping it a 1/2 inch though I don’t really have any idea what’s best. The Aldila website seems to say to butt cut it to length. Any advice is appreciated!

I am about the same ss and typically play shafts that are not described as boardy. I tipped mine an inch and found it still to feel like it had some kick. Was much more draw biased than I anticipated, even with 1 inch of tipping.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2