2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Best putter if you aim too far left.

kooch1221

Look into the the lie angle....and try a face balanced design, if you haven't already. Possibly a center shaft design as well

I was looking at a golo cs as I heard it's better for a left miss

I currently game the s5 and it is a phenomenal putter if, just like anything else, you put a good stroke on it. It's easy to line up for my eye and I have been way more accurate with it than any other putter I have tried. I love the look of the plumbers neck blades but I have to be realistic with my game, they just don't suit me.

For me, missing left is usually a sign I am getting too much of my right hand involved in the stroke instead of leading with the back of my left hand (top hand in my case) and my right hand causes a push left.

The left hand involvement i think might be key coupled with the center shafted putter. I may look into to get the Golo s5. Do you have the silver or black golo?

Do you have the line blacked out? I also liked the new SC Futura 5S when I was trying putters at PGA SS. Preferrably with the white lines blacked out.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody found a putter for someone who consistently aims and misses putts left?

Especially on shorter putts 5' and in? Im ready to try anything at this point.

if you are not using one, try a putter with plumber neck.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]WITB:[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F7+ 8.5º w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F7 3/4F @ 14.5º w/ Fujikura Pro 65S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F7 2/3H @ 17.5º w/ Fujikura Pro 75S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Titleist 718 T-MB 4-PW w/KBS $-Taper 120[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Cleveland RTX 3 [/size][/color][/font][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]50º,[/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]54º and [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]58º w/PX 5.5[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Tyson Lamb Allendale 350g[/size][/font][/color]

if you are not using one, try a putter with plumber neck.

My primary putter haS a double bend shaft.

That could be the reason you aim left. Definitely try a plumber neck and see if it straightens it out for you.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]WITB:[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F7+ 8.5º w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F7 3/4F @ 14.5º w/ Fujikura Pro 65S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F7 2/3H @ 17.5º w/ Fujikura Pro 75S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Titleist 718 T-MB 4-PW w/KBS $-Taper 120[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Cleveland RTX 3 [/size][/color][/font][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]50º,[/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]54º and [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]58º w/PX 5.5[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Tyson Lamb Allendale 350g[/size][/font][/color]

Look into the the lie angle....and try a face balanced design, if you haven't already. Possibly a center shaft design as well

I was looking at a golo cs as I heard it's better for a left miss

I currently game the s5 and it is a phenomenal putter if, just like anything else, you put a good stroke on it. It's easy to line up for my eye and I have been way more accurate with it than any other putter I have tried. I love the look of the plumbers neck blades but I have to be realistic with my game, they just don't suit me.

For me, missing left is usually a sign I am getting too much of my right hand involved in the stroke instead of leading with the back of my left hand (top hand in my case) and my right hand causes a push left.

The left hand involvement i think might be key coupled with the center shafted putter. I may look into to get the Golo s5. Do you have the silver or black golo?

Do you have the line blacked out? I also liked the new SC Futura 5S when I was trying putters at PGA SS. Preferrably with the white lines blacked out.

I have the black Golo, like a satin with the gloss black alignment line... just stock. I have tried many putters over the last couple of years but this one has allowed me to putt my best. I don't know what it is, I just feel like I can draw a line down my left arm to wrist to shaft which really helps me feel the back of my left hand through the line, keeping me from taking it back too far inside or out... don't know why I have trouble replicating this with blades...

I tried the Futura 5s in the store, was almost going to buy one but on that particular day, it didn't impress me, but that's not to say I wouldn't put one in the bag at some point.... I like a lot of things about the way that one sets up.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Quit trying to aim the putter head or putter face. Aim the shaft. When you grip the putter you know instinctively where the "front" of the shaft is. Aim that at your target and swing the shaft at your target. Assuming your grip is on straight, the putter face will always swing correctly if you swing the shaft correctly.

Once you try this, you'll either have a "bingo" moment... or it will be just another idea that doesn't work for you.

Interesting, it' a bit of Bingo. But i square head then make sure shaft is perpendicular to line. Works.

Just did an Edel putter fitting which addressed this exact issue (initial aim, not stroke). Their site has a bit of info under the classic putter section. It provides insight into how putter head shapes, offsets, and alignment marks can influence aim.

Strongly suggested reading on the topic.

Where did you go for your edel fitting? Only page they listed out here was PGASS

Just did an Edel putter fitting which addressed this exact issue (initial aim, not stroke). Their site has a bit of info under the classic putter section. It provides insight into how putter head shapes, offsets, and alignment marks can influence aim.

Where did you go for your edel fitting? Only page they listed out here was PGASS

Drove a couple hours up to Performance Golf in CT. Was about a 6 hour event, with 4 hours of driving. Friends think I'm crazy, but for me to believe in my putter standing over every putt, it was well worth it!

So many factors. Lie angle, offset, the type of putter grip being used and, most important, alignment aids can cause a player to aim one way or another.

I would read the Edel website, which does a great job of explaining how certain alignment aids and putter heads affect aim.

The answer is to get fitted by someone who uses a laser fitting system like Edel fitters use. Will tell you which alignment aids are good for you and which do not help.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Drove a couple hours up to Performance Golf in CT. Was about a 6 hour event, with 4 hours of driving. Friends think I'm crazy, but for me to believe in my putter standing over every putt, it was well worth it!

Which model did you end up with?

Which model did you end up with?

Was quoted the Deschutes model (thin blade style head), with zero offset (where I was a bit left in my aim with offset), which worked very well during the fitting. At around $400, I'm looking into other options of a similar style.

Being a putter hoe, I didn't use the fitting to buy a putter, just narrow down my focus while hoeing!

Rather than using the putter to setup try using the line on your golf ball. When you go to setup to your putt use a line on your ball or aiming arrows printed on it to aim. Make sure you do this from behind the ball and not the side. I had exactly the same issue missing everything to left (southpaw). I frequently changed putters chasing the dragon. Now I can putt with any head shape.

It's important that you trust the line you setup when you get ready to putt. The first few rounds subconsciously my brain would be like there is noway this is right the line is wrong. But you just have to learn to trust it. It will take a bit of time. I'm a summer in using this method and other than the old brain saying no it's wrong and me adjusting against the ball line it works. I make more putts, 3 footers became automatic and lag putting is much easier. So long as your green reading is correct. Just my 2 cents.

Do you happen to have astigmatism?

I do. What does this mean or imply about setting up square?

Astigmatism, for some reason makes you aim left and you then you think you are square. Start aiming as much right as you are when pulling the ball. If you are consistently 2 inches left of the cup, you need to aim right of it 2 inches or so. You will then be square to your line. ( this example assumes a straight putt).

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

I have astigmatism and worked a lot last winter on parallax and aiming issues. What I found is that I can't spot putt from picking a spot behind the ball. I'm left handed and left eye dominant and see the line and aim the putter well from over the ball, so I have to trust my vision from that position. I used a few similar aids to what Edel uses. There are some good threads about it, you can probably find them using the search function.

I settled on a full offset putter with no alignment aids. In essence I found that tempo issues result in a slight push or pull, so it's better for me not to fixate on a line on the putter and not to follow the head with my eyes, but to settle on the line and focus on getting the speed correct and the ball started where I'm aiming. Stay smooth, stroke the putt, and listen for the ball hitting the bottom of the cup.

So you hit the ball where you aim it, but you just know that you aim left... Right?

You need to adjust your alignment. Pros recalibrate before every round and they're good at putting.

Actually, is this thread a joke? Are you just having us all on?

I have a vision test for you to try; it'll sound odd, I realize.

Take four golf balls and line them up dead straight in two to three foot increments back from the hole or a fixed point. You can do this on a practice green with a chalk line, but you can use an indoor putting carpet just as well. It'll also work on a hardwood or tile floor, though not as well; too many lines. But you do need ONE line, both for the balls to sit on and for you to line up on.

So now that you've got the four balls lined up, set up SQUARE to the one farthest from the hole, which would be 10' or so from the hole. Don't look at the other balls or the hole; just set the putter square to the line, then set your feet and shoulders square to the line as well. When you KNOW that the putter and your body are dead square to the line, turn your head WITHOUT MOVING YOUR BODY and look down the line so that you can see all three of the other balls. Of course, all of the balls MAY look like what they are; in an absolute straight line. BUT if any of the balls appear to be to the left of the others when you are looking at all of them down the line, then you've got a vision issue and no putter in the world is going to change that; you'll have to go about it a different way.

This vision "error" is the reason that an estimated 60% of golfers can't use the line on the ball to putt; they line it up, then when they stand over the ball, the line appears to be tilted toward them AND aimed left. Honestly, I don't know if the others that can use the line don't have as much parallax error, or if they are better at compensating for it, but I do know that for most of us, the line is too distracting.

I know that sounds wacko, but give it a try and see what your results are.

Interesting. I see the 2nd closest ball to me as being left of the other balls. I'm a short putt puller as well. Went to a center shaft with no offset and that seems to help.

I used to aim left. But for me, i changed the way I chose my putting line. Instead of aiming my putter at my spot, I go reverse. I see my spot, then trace a line to my ball, then I align the putter head to that line. It's really subtle, but it turned my left aim bias into a right aim bias, so then I got a new putter with more lines and voila, my putting transformed.

http://www.golfwrx.com/406976/917-vs-915-results-from-the-ultimate-titleist-driver-fitting-experience/

So you hit the ball where you aim it, but you just know that you aim left... Right?

You need to adjust your alignment. Pros recalibrate before every round and they're good at putting.

Actually, is this thread a joke? Are you just having us all on?

Nope its true, i think Im aiming at the cup in actuality Im aiming left and I miss left. I had it confirmed by people who watch me putt and Sam putlab.

• 2 weeks later...