2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jack's Rolex

ebrasmus21

Great interview with Jack; effortless cool. Love that money clip too.

I have the stainless steel Daytona and gold Sub; and my wife has a diamond and ruby Daytona. We take our mechanical watches off when we swing the clubs; I heard from one jeweller once that there is a danger of breaking a mainspring. Don't know for sure but I don't want to take the chance; besides, these watches are fairly heavy, I don't like the feel of them on my wrist when I'm swinging.

My Submariner, for casual wear, and my 1990’s Day Date which I got back from a full overhaul. For me, these two models offer the best of both worlds.

Come on bud. Can’t be doing a wrist shot on a golf forum without a golf course in the background. Big fan of acrylic,Tritium, Patina and matte dials.

0137018d51d0ec5c240d6b079cba2e8b.jpg

Nice Pepsi!!!!!

I have the stainless steel Daytona and gold Sub; and my wife has a diamond and ruby Daytona. We take our mechanical watches off when we swing the clubs; I heard from one jeweller once that there is a danger of breaking a mainspring. Don't know for sure but I don't want to take the chance; besides, these watches are fairly heavy, I don't like the feel of them on my wrist when I'm swinging.

A friend that owns Jewelry stores and sells and services Rolex told me NOT to wear them when swing golf clubs...can damage the mechanism. Mine goes into a felt bag and stays in my golf bag till done. Sold the President 18k back to him because I seldom wore it.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

LOL, I put mine in a bubble wrap bag, then into a Crown Royal cloth bag. I know guys that own them and never wear them because they hate the scratches; but I wear them all the time. What's the point of owning something if you don't use it? Scratches can be buffed out. I don't care about the recognition, that's not why I bought them; but I am surprised how many people know what they are (esp. the SS Daytona).

LOL, I put mine in a bubble wrap bag, then into a Crown Royal cloth bag. I know guys that own them and never wear them because they hate the scratches; but I wear them all the time. What's the point of owning something if you don't use it? Scratches can be buffed out. I don't care about the recognition, that's not why I bought them; but I am surprised how many people know what they are (esp. the SS Daytona).

Yep they are tools. Not jewels. Wear them in good health. Amazingly that’s when I got rid of my modern Daytona and subC. Too many people recognize them. Went vintage and never look back. The holly grail for me is the 6241. A friend at a silent auction bid 180k for a full set. The sold price was 300k.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I have a Datejust Oyster Perpetual Turn-o-Graph in stainless with a white gold bezel, white face, and red second hand & date numbers. I wear it daily including to the gym, to play golf, hit balls, to swim, sleep, etc. I don't take it off except to clean it occasionally and it still looks beautiful. It's about 11 years old and I've had it in for regular service twice but have never had any issues. It seems to be pretty durable as I play over 80 rounds per year, and in my view my risk of losing it by taking it on and off is greater than some sort of wear and tear malfunction.

BTW. I met Jack last year and got to see his up close. Classic!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I have a 52 year old submariner and a 35 year old Pepsi. Golf. Swim. Work. It doesn’t matter. These things are built like tanks. If you knew the history of Rolex they were made for the military as well. The “luxury” branding and marketing is keeping these time pieces from being used and that’s a shame.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

It's a great story and I'm sure that watch will bring a hefty price at Auction...

But I have to say that isn't what impressed me the most in this video.

Who has the self-discipline to hang onto the same money clip for 50+ years? Without losing it?

Jack has traveled the planet, raised a tribe of children, designed golf courses all over this earth.....and he never once misplaced his money & clip since 1963?

Pretty impressive....oh, that's a nice fish on his wall.

LMAO, I was thinking the same exact thing, lol

I got a clip with my first Club in 1987 and it was in my pocket through 2008, when I had to leave it in a hospital locker for an MRI. In a hurry to get to the table, I closed my locker(it was like a half locker) however I did not lock it.

Two nice pens, one a ball point and the other fountain, my clip, $80 and change and two credit cards were gone. Unbelievably, that arsehole left my license, haha

As you stated, for him to have that same clip is unfrigginbelievable, lol

I hope that you’re well my Friend?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I preferred the vintage. Acrylic is so......like forged blades

HaHa, tell me about it?

Circa 1981 5513(I got in 1984 pre-owned)

This and my 14’s are my All-Timers?️

Have a great week?

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Thanks for the post. I had no idea it's the ONLY watch he's ever owned and he's basically worn it every day of his adult life.

I can't fathom how much it would be worth at auction.

My dad bought one just like it because Jack had one. Now I have it as my dad passed away far too early at 56.

It's unequivocally my most valued personal possession.

Now this is cool!

Nice to see ya Zinger?

I hope all’s well nd you’ve had a nice season?️

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

I preferred the vintage. Acrylic is so......like forged blades

HaHa, tell me about it�

Circa 1981 5513(I got in 1984 pre-owned)

This and my 14's are my All-Timers�ï¸

Have a great week�

My Best,

RP

5513 or 14060? Acrylic with the white gold surrounds? Replacement dial?

Nah looks like one of the last batches of 5513. Not a true transitional year but the later years of 5513 had the white gold lining. It's still acrylic. Just not as valuable in the eye of collector. It does however look like it was service by Rolex with the newer hands.

Edit. Ah he said 1981. Thought he meant it's an 84. Don't believe they went to white gold until mid 80s. Possibly a replacement Dial for this one.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Aftermarket insert as well? Never seen a white gold insert on a friction bezel acrylic sub.

Anywho, love me some Subs!!!

mid 80s sub went with white gold and retained the acrylic crystal. 1984 is the correct year for this model. The late 80s is when this model switch to the glass and became what is today's modern without the cerachrom. This isn't an 81 as stated(maybe he didn't know). Service dial for this year would be a luminova dial but the patina wouldn't be that nice. Would have to see the serial . The hands are definitely serviced. Rolex always change them for service. If stated as an 81 model this thing has a lot of replacement parts for sure. His watch is NOT CORRECT for a stated 81 model. Photo is too blurry to determine correctness of the insert.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Except for golf and gym, I wear mine all the time. Had mine buffed out twice.

Amazing how many people buy fake Rolex's, not knowing the difference between fake and real. Long time back before I sold a President, I was in the 19th hole with some guys, and notice one guy had what appeared to be a fake on. It was suppose to be President 18k, like mine. I hadn't put mine on yet and asked him about his. He was all excited while telling me what a great deal on it at 8k. After he finished I said here's a real one. See the difference. His face dropped and didn't say a word. Most copied watch around. Lots of fakes in CA... :beach:

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

speaking of fake, the proclaimed 81' 5513 is a fake

here's an 81' 5513 with a MarkIV dial

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

yeah, speaking of fake, that proclaimed '81 5513 is probably a fake

here's an authentic:

It should be a mark V dial. I won't go into depth about what a mark V dial is. You can read it up.

Not a fake, service dial most likely.

either that or the provenance is sketchy; (most likely isn't what it's claimed)

and the service dial would be a luminova and wouldn't have the pumpkinish patina which that picture is showing; very blurry imho

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Break the mainspring?

Fairly heavy?

Be a man!

Wahhhhh, my rolex broke, what can I do?

Kidding ; )

Nice pieces, like the his/hers winder too.

The original presentation case for the Sub looks like the winder case; nice polished wood box. I'm not a fan of the green boxes they gave us with the two Daytonas; they should go back to the lacquered box.

We bought all ours new from approved dealers. Actually managed to get very good deals on each one. I always prefer to establish relationships with local businesses.

Amazing how many people buy fake Rolex's, not knowing the difference between fake and real. Long time back before I sold a President, I was in the 19th hole with some guys, and notice one guy had what appeared to be a fake on. It was suppose to be President 18k, like mine. I hadn't put mine on yet and asked him about his. He was all excited while telling me what a great deal on it at 8k. After he finished I said here's a real one. See the difference. His face dropped and didn't say a word. Most copied watch around. Lots of fakes in CA... :beach:

Out of curiosity, doing that to the guy made you feel good about yourself? Just asking, because I would never done that, but that’s me.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

here's an authentic:

It should be a mark V dial. I won't go into depth about what a mark V dial is. You can read it up.

and the service dial would be a luminova and wouldn't have the pumpkinish patina which that picture is showing; very blurry imho

So break down my sub if you don't mind. It is posted a page back and it is the reason Richard posted his.

I am curious to see what you surmise.

here's an authentic:

So break down my sub if you don't mind. It is posted a page back and it is the reason Richard posted his.

I am curious to see what you surmise.

Mid to late 70s 1680 with disk date open 6 and 9. Non top hat cyclop plexi. Probably serial 4-5 million range. Looks fine to me. Would put the original cyclop in. If it was not a birth year rolex I would trade up for a red letter 1680 since those retain in value and are ever increasingly.

When I see a subDATE matte with non cyclop plexi it reminds me of the great White Sea dweller reference 1665. We can continue our conversation private. (A couple concerns) I love vintage more than any thing.

Edit: I would definitely put the top hat cyclop plexi back on. I know a lot of vintage folks that can source one for you. Reasoning above. Too similar to a great White Sea dweller when it is not.

Edit. The Mk I, II, and III 1680 dials have closed 6's. When you see an authentic 1680 dial with open 6's, it is a service/replacement dial. Need better photo to determine which Dial.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Out of curiosity, doing that to the guy made you feel good about yourself? Just asking, because I would never done that, but that’s me.

Curiosity, my azz... :lol: only insecure, no nads and rude people say what you just said, safely on the internet.

What you don't know. I took him aside. He didn't know and clearly noticed the difference. Yes, he felt bad because some jackazz took advantage of him and other jackazzes that maybe knew wouldn't tell him. He was appreciative. Have a good day. :beach:

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

Curiosity, my azz... :lol: only insecure, no nads and rude people say what you just said, safely on the internet.

What you don't know. I took him aside. He didn't know and clearly noticed the difference. Yes, he felt bad because some jackazz took advantage of him and other jackazzes that maybe knew wouldn't tell him. He was appreciative. Have a good day. :beach:

I was really curious, specially since I was told you were the forum pest, I wanted to make my own assessment. Well, well! So basically you described yourself, lol....Insecured, no nads, and rude, lol.....I’m sure he was very appreciative, lol.....No wonder people don’t like you around here, because you are such a nice guy, lol......And I don’t even hangout here anymore, basically to stay away from people like you, too annoying to justify the investment. Good day! Lol......

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

But the fact is if you do spot a fake you should let them know without the bragadocious or bravado involved.

As a time piece enthusiast I go out of my way to help fellow enthusiasts and inform them. No one wants to pay a certain amount of money and not really getting what they paid for. The vintage market has a lot of sketchy watch makers who uses Frankenstein parts thus provenance is so important.

I don’t see anything wrong with him pulling a guy aside and informing him.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x