Jack's Rolex

ebrasmus21

I preferred the vintage. Acrylic is so......like forged blades

HaHa, tell me about it?

Circa 1981 5513(I got in 1984 pre-owned)

This and my 14’s are my All-Timers?️

Have a great week?

My Best,

RP

5513 or 14060? Acrylic with the white gold surrounds? Replacement dial?

5513, yep to replacement dial.

Have a great day?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I preferred the vintage. Acrylic is so......like forged blades

HaHa, tell me about it?

Circa 1981 5513(I got in 1984 pre-owned)

This and my 14's are my All-Timers?

Have a great week?

My Best,

RP

5513 or 14060? Acrylic with the white gold surrounds? Replacement dial?

Nah looks like one of the last batches of 5513. Not a true transitional year but the later years of 5513 had the white gold lining. It's still acrylic. Just not as valuable in the eye of collector. It does however look like it was service by Rolex with the newer hands.

Edit. Ah he said 1981. Thought he meant it's an 84. Don't believe they went to white gold until mid 80s. Possibly a replacement Dial for this one.

Yep, it is replacement dial. It is an ‘84 that I got in late 1984 pre-owned from the local AD and I’ll never part with it so I wasn’t worried about “collectibility” and though it was serviced by Rolly through the mid 90’s, the past 20 or so years are with a watch smith that does a lot of work with the Rolly AD here in town(Henne Jewerlers) on their estate pieces, which include quite a few Rollies. I’ve also got a 114060 and I don’t wear this as often, usually in the evenings casually

Later aside~ it was lost for almost four years and I had thought that it was taken out of my locker at the club and in cleaning out my bag when I got a new one, it was at the very bottom of the bag in my side pocket. I cleaned the whole pocket out and when I reached in I felt it and I knew before I pulled it out, lol. The watch ran fine though the crystal was cracked and a piece missing shaped like a 1/4 moon from 6:00 to about 10:00 and the dial looked sort of bleached out there and then it went across the dial to 3:00. No way that I could live with it. I know guys talk about a watch building “character” showing it’s owmer’s experiences but having to explain the incident and that I was an arsehole was not an option, lol- RP II

Stay well my Friend?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Love the golden bear. Good post.

BTW, if anybody is interested I have a Casio I bought at Kohl's. :pimp:

Titleist TSR3 9* 1K stiff

Titleist TS2 Hy 18* Evenflow stiff

W/S C300 Forged 4-GW Pro Modus 120 S

W/S Staff wedges 52*/56* Pro Modus 120 S

Cameron Futura 38" CB

Wilson Triad/Pro V1

I’ll play! I hit a significant career goal two years ago, so I rewarded myself with this Rolex Datejust II 41 millimeter in white gold/stainless steel. The dark rhodium dial with diamonds is my favorite from this line. This is the Reference 116334, and I purchased it here in Tysons at Lenkersdorfer. I have really large wrists (think Popeye or Paul Casey), so case sizes below 40 millimeters look ridiculously tiny on my wrist.

I’m currently grinding away at achieving a pretty remarkable financial savings goal, so I plan to reward myself again very soon with a Sky-Dweller in Everose, reference 326935!

925c0ea363cb7527212377f349809da8.jpg

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

yeah, speaking of fake, that proclaimed '81 5513 is probably a fake

here's an authentic:

It should be a mark V dial. I won't go into depth about what a mark V dial is. You can read it up.

Not a fake, service dial most likely.

either that or the provenance is sketchy; (most likely isn't what it's claimed)

and the service dial would be a luminova and wouldn't have the pumpkinish patina which that picture is showing; very blurry imho

So break down my sub if you don't mind. It is posted a page back and it is the reason Richard posted his.

I am curious to see what you surmise.

Here is a prime example of a sub for you sub lovers out there. I am not a fan of the sub date. This was a full set sold to me. Unpolished.

57d888aa5296299907d36edae4915d04.jpg

Edit: can you break this down ?

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

yeah, speaking of fake, that proclaimed '81 5513 is probably a fake

here's an authentic:

It should be a mark V dial. I won't go into depth about what a mark V dial is. You can read it up.

Not a fake, service dial most likely.

either that or the provenance is sketchy; (most likely isn't what it's claimed)

and the service dial would be a luminova and wouldn't have the pumpkinish patina which that picture is showing; very blurry imho

So break down my sub if you don't mind. It is posted a page back and it is the reason Richard posted his.

I am curious to see what you surmise.

Here is a prime example of a sub for you sub lovers out there. I am not a fan of the sub date. This was a full set sold to me. Unpolished.

Gorgeous example!!

Have a great weekend?

RP

• Like 1

can you tell us about the bezel?

The bezel or insert ? Vintage inserts unlike today Modern Rolex which are made of cerachrom will fade with day light weather experience adventure etc etc. that is the uniqueness of vintage. They will fade and look different based on the wearer. As opposed to Modern Rolex where it will always look the same with a good polish. Only way to change the look of a modern is by customizing it with diamonds. For us men, I strongly disagree with wearing diamonds. But to each his own. Every vintage will age differently unlike Modern Rolex.

This particular 5513 is termed a ghost fade insert. Some like it. Some will not. I own a faded Red back insert for my 16750 and will switch it in and out as I want.

Attached

3e9181a62d509509007b0d53bedd851d.jpg

But some days I will switch it to a blue back insert as attached for a more modern look. It really depends on what look you want.

6a3847e5b31f3a76d252cfe1ce784523.jpg

Both are the same watch but the insert changes the look. Oh and I also sourced a correct jubilee band and oyster band so those pictures will look like two different GMT but they are one and the same.

I personally like my sub with the ghost fade since it stands out of the crowd compared to most other submariner. Keep in mind the Sub is the most copycat watch in the world, whether it is a direct copy or created by other watch maker with similar variations.

You really cannot go wrong with modern or vintage Rolex. Going vintage means you are just a little bit different from the crowd.

• Like 1

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

can you tell us about the bezel?

The bezel or insert ? Vintage inserts unlike today Modern Rolex which are made of cerachrom will fade with day light weather experience adventure etc etc. that is the uniqueness of vintage. They will fade and look different based on the wearer. As opposed to Modern Rolex where it will always look the same with a good polish. Only way to change the look of a modern is by customizing it with diamonds. For us men, I strongly disagree with wearing diamonds. But to each his own. Every vintage will age differently unlike Modern Rolex.

This particular 5513 is termed a ghost fade insert. Some like it. Some will not. I own a faded Red back insert for my 16750 and will switch it in and out as I want.

Attached

3e9181a62d509509007b0d53bedd851d.jpg

But some days I will switch it to a blue back insert as attached for a more modern look. It really depends on what look you want.

6a3847e5b31f3a76d252cfe1ce784523.jpg

Both are the same watch but the insert changes the look. Oh and I also sourced a correct jubilee band and oyster band so those pictures will look like two different GMT but they are one and the same.

I personally like my sub with the ghost fade since it stands out of the crowd compared to most other submariner. Keep in mind the Sub is the most copycat watch in the world, whether it is a direct copy or created by other watch maker with similar variations.

You really cannot go wrong with modern or vintage Rolex. Going vintage means you are just a little bit different from the crowd.

My Teacher, Pete, left me his 1986 Pepsi(for those unfamiliar, the GMT-Master, Ref. 16750) and he left his son his YG President, which Sam had given him(Hilarious story about it I’ll tell in a minute). Well, I could tell that his son, while he obviously loved the Prez, I could sense that he felt slighted by not getting the Pepsi, though he said absolutely nothing and was a perfect gentleman, telling me how much Pete cared for me. When we were leaving the meeting at the attorney’s where I got the Pepsi, I guess that I was overly quiet cuz out of the blue Madison said “you’re not going to keep that watch are you?”

Honest to God, at the next red light, I turned around in a gas station’s lot, went back to the attorney’s office, and his car still being there, I went in and they were standing in sort of a sitting room(his office was in a regular house), I took the Pepsi out of my sports jacket pocket, handed it to him, saying “you should have this, not me” and I turned and left and when I got into the car, I guess the last 3 weeks came down like a torrential rain suddenly because I broke down and Madison had to drive us home, lol. It had nothing to do with the watch as I didn’t give a shat about that, it was just that here was a man that I loved more than my own father, he had been an integral part of my life for the past 34+ years and he was gone. I had held it all in till then but I couldn’t any longer. Madison understood and was much stronger than me in this situation. She got me through it as this was the first time in my life that I lost someone that I loved. Damn did it hurt, lol

Ok, about the Prez~

Sam had his own DD President that had been gifted him by another Golf Legend(though administratively versus Playing), Fred Corcoran, and then he was gifted a second Prez, though I forget by who, but it was a Company(not Staff) and on the caseback was scripted “Thanks for your service Sam.”

Well, Pete liked the YG watch, but WT....., lmao, he didn’t want to see Sam’s name on it everytime that he took it off so he had the caseback replaced(he was going to give Sam the caseback to keep it & possibly put on his. Sam wouldn’t take it??) and he was good to go.

Well, you’d have thought that Pete had stolen all Sam’s money the way that he reacted, lmao. He got super pissed, called Pete an ingrate, and they didn’t talk for 5-6 months???

I’ve spoken elsewhere that I thought Sam was a great guy and while I never had a negative encounter with him, the closest being when I flipped our cart and snapped his two new custom Penna drivers and a 5i, he could be more than a tad thin skinned and damn, did he have a long memory(carried a grudge, haha).

So Sam finally started talking to Pete again but that Prez was always a sore spot with him, lol-

Beautiful inserts JB?

My Best,

RP

The Paul Newman Daytona went for 18 million. Don’t know if jacks watch will reach that height tbh.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

The Paul Newman Daytona went for 18 million. Don’t know if jacks watch will reach that height tbh.

Just saw that on the news and was wondering same thing.

17.8 million for a wristwatch is now the all time record. It beats that Patek I posted earlier in this thread.

The one Jack wore every day of his adult life may well fetch more one day.

Newman actually only wore that Daytona about 15 years, but it has developed something of a cult following among collectors.

I personally hate the hippie leather band on it, but I guess it makes sense with the late 60’s time frame on it.

Mine: Datejust Turn-O-Graph stainless with white gold bezel, red second hand and date numbers

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

The Paul Newman Daytona went for 18 million. Don't know if jacks watch will reach that height tbh.

Just saw that on the news and was wondering same thing.

17.8 million for a wristwatch is now the all time record. It beats that Patek I posted earlier in this thread.

The one Jack wore every day of his adult life may well fetch more one day.

Newman actually only had that Daytona a few years, but it developed something of a cult following among collectors.

I personally hate the hippie leather band on it, but I guess it makes sense with the late 60's time frame on it.

13d5b93422fcd1a99ecb3012c3c03c5d--bluest-eye-big-blue-eyes.jpg

The strap is called a bund and looks great with that watch. Back in the 60s these sold for only a few hundred dollars. The Daytona was offered with an "exotic" dial option. These 'exotic' dials were the one that PN wore. It was nicknamed the Paul Newman Rolex from a picture with him wearing it at a racing event. A gold one sold for just over a million a few years ago. It is the beautiful simplicity that makes it so sought after. This is a picture of the same watch with the normal dial. Oh, it's on the hippie band LOL. The bund was hand made in LA by someone who makes a living selling straps/ bunds, etc. 6239.

6239Bund1.jpg

• Like 1

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Jack's watch won't fetch but a fraction of Paul Newman's. But if I was allowed to pick one of the two, and not allowed to resell, I'd take Jack's for certain.

The real difficult decision for me would be a choice between Jack's Day-Date and Eisenhower's gold Datejust.

And here's a shot of my poor man's version of Jack's Day-Date. Stainless Datejust 16234.

• 2 years later...

Oh, we're doing watches? :) Here's my beloved Milguass at The Old Course ...

MI82YVT4VAZ2.jpg

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

I hope I am not repeating anything, but I did not see it mentioned on the preceding pages...

Jack caught that record-quality Black Marlin on a trip to Australia.  One of his many trips to Australia to combine some fishing with his play in the Australian Open.  So Jack catches that very big (and I do think that Jack overstated the "record" aspect; I believe it was the largest Black Marlin caught that year, but was by no means the biggest ever caught) marlin, and after an hours-long fight, with dead arms, he is scheduled to play in the Australian Open.  He shoots 73 on the first day, but recovers and then proceeds to win the championship by six shots.  For his sixth and final time.