Jack's Rolex

ebrasmus21

I bought my Rolex back in the early eighties and still wear it near daily. I have it serviced every 2yrs, never a problem. While trendy watch come and go, mine still gets compliments. Never wear it playing golf though, due to the self-winding mechanism. :beach:

How do I convince my wife that I need a Rolex?

Go buy one, explain how it's an investment as they tend to hold their value and eventually appreciate, just keep wearing it all the time and get it serviced every couple of years. I have 2, and really almost never wear them since I prefer my other pieces more, but when I do wear them I always get compliments on them.

RolexGMTMasterII_2.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&auto=format&ch=Width%2CDPR%2CSave-Data&fit=crop&fm=jpg&q=55&usm=12&w=700

Yes, please and thank you.

The GMT II is certainly not a Presidents Day-Date but still such a classy watch! I love this one, or one with an all black bezel. Very nice!!!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I bought my Rolex back in the early eighties and still wear it near daily. I have it serviced every 2yrs, never a problem. While trendy watch come and go, mine still gets compliments. Never wear it playing golf though, due to the self-winding mechanism. :beach:

Go buy one, explain how it's an investment as they tend to hold their value and eventually appreciate, just keep wearing it all the time and get it serviced every couple of years. I have 2, and really almost never wear them since I prefer my other pieces more, but when I do wear them I always get compliments on them.

RolexGMTMasterII_2.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&auto=format&ch=Width%2CDPR%2CSave-Data&fit=crop&fm=jpg&q=55&usm=12&w=700

Yes, please and thank you.

The GMT II is certainly not a Presidents Day-Date but still such a classy watch! I love this one, or one with an all black bezel. Very nice!!!

The batman GMT has become more and more popular over the years. Always a very good choice!

Pray tell? What do you wear instead?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Pray tell? What do you wear instead?

Tend to rotate between my Tag Grand Carrera, Omega Seamaster, Panerai Radiomir Ceramic, and a beater Hamilton Khaki that my father gave me years ago.

I'm not saying I don't like the Rolexes that I have, I just tend to wear the other pieces more often. As a bigger guy having a slightly larger watch tends to get less "lost" and it's nice to be different than most of the people I do business with who also wear Rolex.

Hmmm bet I haven't worn a watch 3 days in my entire life. Just never saw the need. Clocks everywhere and all. But if I bought one it would be something odd. And no doubt expensive. You can take me into any store with no prices present and I'll usually pick out the most expensive yet understated thing there. It's a curse. Happens with shoes or clothes all the time. If I like it and its cut fits me it will be expensive. So I need to continue to be a non watch wearer !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Hmmm bet I haven't worn a watch 3 days in my entire life. Just never saw the need. Clocks everywhere and all. But if I bought one it would be something odd. And no doubt expensive. You can take me into any store with no prices present and I'll usually pick out the most expensive yet understated thing there. It's a curse. Happens with shoes or clothes all the time. If I like it and its cut fits me it will be expensive. So I need to continue to be a non watch wearer !

In the day and age of walking around with a computer in your pocket, the need for a "old" mechanical watch has certainly diminished and has become more of a part of an appearance than they were prior.

I have found the smartwatch era that we are seemingly in leading to more questions as to why I would ever want to wear something that doesn't also show me everything that is happening on my phone. I enjoy the simplicity of a well made mechanical watch, much like I enjoy the look and feel of a blade, a well tailored article of clothing (ideally bespoke) or a well made automobile and for some that never will make sense. It sounds like you understand this mentality but don't have a want to wear a watch, and that is absolutely something I understand.

In the day and age of walking around with a computer in your pocket, the need for a "old" mechanical watch has certainly diminished and has become more of a part of an appearance than they were prior.

I have found the smartwatch era that we are seemingly in leading to more questions as to why I would ever want to wear something that doesn't also show me everything that is happening on my phone. I enjoy the simplicity of a well made mechanical watch, much like I enjoy the look and feel of a blade, a well tailored article of clothing (ideally bespoke) or a well made automobile and for some that never will make sense. It sounds like you understand this mentality but don't have a want to wear a watch, and that is absolutely something I understand.

A nicely designed/proportioned automatic transcends function and is a piece of art.It attracts, inspires and makes you think.

ptacasio.gif

I love my watches. Own 8 total. My dad left me two and two were gifts. The rest were purchased by me or by Mrs. Ferg for me to commemorate something tied to work (promotion, good year, big bonus, etc.). There is nothing like the experience of buying a fine watch.

My working watch is a Victorinox Air Boss. I wear that thing in the pool, on the boat, on the golf course and doing yard work. It's a beast. Original crystal - all scratched to hell. The others are for work and social activities, etc.

I love my watches. Own 8 total. My dad left me two and two were gifts. The rest were purchased by me or by Mrs. Ferg for me to commemorate something tied to work (promotion, good year, big bonus, etc.). There is nothing like the experience of buying a fine watch.

My working watch is a Victorinox Air Boss. I wear that thing in the pool, on the boat, on the golf course and doing yard work. It's a beast. Original crystal - all scratched to hell. The others are for work and social activities, etc.

Air Boss is a great watch ...../only 8? Rook

When I was about 19 I was working at a country club outside NYC in the mid 1990's and after a Monday outing I found a all gold Rolex ( just like Jack's ) sitting in a golf cart. I knew if I handed it over to the caddy master ( Low Life) he would have kept it so I put it in my pocket. 10 minutes later a guy comes over freaking out looking for his watch. Absolutely Freaking Out!! I pulled him to the side and said "Sir I have your watch." I handed it over to him and he said, "Oh great" and walked away. The guy didn't give me a dime or even say thank you. Sometimes I wish I kept it.

I love watches but don't have a collector's need for them (fortunately!), so I stick with admiring them from afar and owning one -- my great-grandfather's Gruen. I'm sure it's not worth more than a few hundred bucks, but it's priceless to me. About the only times I'm not wearing it are when sleeping or playing golf.

OP, Thanks for sharing this post!

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

You'd probably be a Patek guy. This one is a super rare vintage stainless steel model that set the all time wrist watch sales record last November at auction.

A cool $11 million bucks.

I wonder if Jacks could top it?? Maybe....just maybe, to the right buyer. And it's all going to charity when it happens. Very cool.

If you break a part on a Patek it could take months to repair since they may have to make the replacement part. A Rolex movement is like a tank and can take golf, shooting, riding a motorcycle, etc. The Paul Newman mentioned is by far much more in demand and costs way more than a yellow DD. The only reason it would bring a lot of money is because it was Jack's. A PN sold for over a million dollars not that long ago at an auction. I can now sell this for more than paid. They can be an investment. They look good on a bund also. :-)

GMTIIBund1.jpg

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Not to be dork -- but the movement (the second hand) on the watch has a pretty evident tick to it (not at all like the sweeping second hands of modern Rolex's). Is that normal for Day-Dates of that era?

Also -- the hands and dial are so pristine -- I have to assume they are not original. Not that it would matter for auction purposes given who wore/owned the watch.

That said ... super cool video. And none of my points are meant to take away from the amazing life and times that THAT day-date has borne witness too.

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo II 661 X (with 20g weight in butt)

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Taylormade MG4 56* and 60*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

Not to be dork -- but the movement (the second hand) on the watch has a pretty evident tick to it (not at all like the sweeping second hands of modern Rolex's). Is that normal for Day-Dates of that era?

Also -- the hands and dial are so pristine -- I have to assume they are not original. Not that it would matter for auction purposes given who wore/owned the watch.

That said ... super cool video. And none of my points are meant to take away from the amazing life and times that THAT day-date has borne witness too.

This is an older slower beat movement that I believe has a rate of 18,600 bpm compared to a modern Day movement that has a 28,000bpm

The higher the number, the smoother the sweep.

ALL Rolex watches except the limited digital models (Oysterquartz) have a movement that ticks. The modern ones are 28,800BPH vs the older 21,600BPH and 19,800BPH. Rolex uses a micro sellar adjustment on the mainspring to get them spot on as far as timing. Is the a model 1803? On one side the band is the serial number and the other side is the model number between the lugs. I would advise to not have it polished since that can actually lower the value and takes too mush material off a vintage watch. I would keep it just like you father had it last.

At one time I owned an 1803, they are beautiful watches and have a history involving Dwight Eisenhower. He was given the Presidential bracelet which is on your watch. It's solid 18Kt gold. I was a vintage Rolex collector and a Rolex moderator on one site for a while.

Unfortunately the dial looks fake and that WILL affect the price. The hour markers are over the tritium dots and Rolex doesn't do that. Sorry.

Notice the how small tritium dots on this vintage DD.

D50DD6.jpg

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

ALL Rolex watches except the limited digital models (Oysterquartz) have a movement that ticks. The modern ones are 28,800BPH vs the older 21,600BPH and 19,800BPH. Rolex uses a micro sellar adjustment on the mainspring to get them spot on as far as timing. Is the a model 1803? On one side the band is the serial number and the other side is the model number between the lugs. I would advise to not have it polished since that can actually lower the value and takes too mush material off a vintage watch. I would keep it just like you father had it last.

At one time I owned an 1803, they are beautiful watches and have a history involving Dwight Eisenhower. He was given the Presidential bracelet which is on your watch. It's solid 18Kt gold. I was a vintage Rolex collector and a Rolex moderator on one site for a while.

Unfortunately the dial looks fake and that WILL affect the price. The hour markers are over the tritium dots and Rolex doesn't do that. Sorry.

Notice the how small tritium dots on this vintage DD.

D50DD6.jpg

Moderator on EOT or Timezone?

It was TZ I'm sure.

Good question. :lol: Don't have an answer... :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

• 2 weeks later...

I worked a couple of years at a jewelry store straight out of college, and absolutely fell in love with watches. Especially mechanical movement/automatic watches. Sadly, I have never been in a position financially (married and started a family pretty early) to purchase a fine time piece. I'd still like to start collecting some day, and perhaps should look at some second hand watches first.

My wish list - starting with more attainable first, and the last few are about as likely as me becoming a member at AGNC:

1. Omega speedmaster or Tag Heuer Carrera

2. Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day Date

3. Rolex Daytona

4. A chronograph style watch with a Tourbillion ( I am fascinated with the movements and the complexity of the designs)

5. Patek Phillipe perpetual calendar (5270 or smiliar) or a minute repeater model

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

LOL " I don't wear watches but if i did it would be, like, totally expensive bruh"

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

you can't put a price on jack's timepiece; like paul newman's daytona (well you can since it's probably going for a million at an auction soon enough)

it's a presidential, not big in the eye of collectors but would love to see how much it would be at a Tiffany Auction because of it's prominence with Jack. one of a kind for sure.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Man...I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, much less what the girth of my marlin was that I caught 40 years ago!

But geez, 341 yards and 17" back then? Jack's was a beast! I wonder what 2nd place was...?

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Diamana D+ 63g Stiff
Callaway XR 5 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Callaway XR 7 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist 915 H 24*, Diamana D+ 82 HY Stiff
Ping i500, DG S300 105
Ping Glide 2.0 54 & 58, Ping AMT Stiff
Scotty Cameron CA Monterey, 35"

My Submariner, for casual wear, and my 1990s Day Date which I got back from a full overhaul. For me, these two models offer the best of both worlds.

Come on bud. Can’t be doing a wrist shot on a golf forum without a golf course in the background. Big fan of acrylic,Tritium, Patina and matte dials.

0137018d51d0ec5c240d6b079cba2e8b.jpg

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x