New Cobra CBs/MBs Coming Spring 2018

cbuescher

Someone mentioned earlier about Andy Carter, who is a Cobra staffer, and his latest fitting for new irons. His WITB dropped and it looks like the old MBs. I would think he would be gaming the new ones if they were hitting this spring, so might be some truth to the no new CB/MB in 2018.

He replied to my Instagram congratulatory post saying they are in deed the 2016 model and as soon as the 2018's are ready, he'll receive some. I agree with your assessment on the timeframe to availability, not this Spring. Likely Summer or early Fall. I hope I'm wrong. This will dictate what I play this year.

Quick question if you don't mind answering:

So you're going to get the new combo for sure? If it's Spring then you play them this year, if it's fall then you're playing your 730 this year, how do you know you'll like the new combo better than your 730?

Close. I want a full set of 2018 MB's. If I wanted the combo, I already have two sets, at worst I could swap shafts.

Well, I don't know for sure, so I would likely test them for a bit. At that point, if they're virtually the same as the 2016's, it would come down to deciding if I wanted to play a full bag of all black clubs (aesthetics, basically).

I see, I guess with both clubs are really good, it does come to aesthetics. Well have fun with your trial!

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh I have had two sets already. I highly agree that the 2016 set is incredible and actually do prefer them over my mizuno MP18s.

However, I haven't tried them with anything other than C taper and c taper lite shafts.

What?!

You have had two sets already and not tried them with a Nippon Modus 120 shaft?

I had a C taper, and a C taper lite in my driving irons - the C taper lite broke, and the C taper get bent to a visible degree...

...thanks to that experience, I searched for a alternative and found the Nippon shafts.

Real gems, manufactured from spring steel, very rugged, with a very smooth feel despite a comparably stiff tip section...

...and much more precise manufactured (weight and shape) than the DG SL, which I also tried:

[media=]

[/media]

I was told by a rep that these aren't coming up until at least the Fall. They didn't want the Forged Tec Black to have sales impacted by releasing these at the same time.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

I was told by a rep that these aren't coming up until at least the Fall. They didn't want the Forged Tec Black to have sales impacted by releasing these at the same time.

I was told I'd have my hands on them mid April. Where are you located? Who's your "rep"?

Im in the Northeast and I'm not disclosing the rep's name. Like I said, just what I was told.. No idea why he wouldn't tell me the truth as I've known him for many years.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

I was told I'd have my hands on them mid April. Where are you located? Who's your "rep"?

Im in the Northeast and I'm not disclosing the rep's name. Like I said, just what I was told.. No idea why he wouldn't tell me the truth as I've known him for many years.

Sorry for not being clear. I wasn’t asking for his name just if it’s a rep from a golf store or cobra itself. But no need to even answer that. Again, apologies.

Cobra irons and Tour Trusty wedges are fabulous!!! Their former AMP Forged, Fly-Z+, and now KING Forged Tec irons have been, and are, extremely overlooked. They're wonderful irons with a beautiful tour shape, thin top lines, and yet are roughly 1/8" larger than standard forged cavity backs.

A LOT of people on this site could benefit from such an iron. Way too many small muscle back users here!!

Why bother getting a blade that's bigger than the shovels?

That's like buying a slow sports car.

I managed to find a place able to get me the missing 4,5,6 MB's (in black). Now I have the set of MB's (4-G) like I wanted

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any Updates on the Release?

Driver: Callaway Epic MAX LS 9* Tensei AV Raw white 60 S
Fairway: Callaway Paratem Triple Diamond 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

DI: Titleist U500 23* HZRDUS Smoke Black 90 6.0
Irons: Titleist T100 5-Gap Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges: Taylormade Hi Toe 54/60 Project X LZ 6.5
Putter: Odyssey O Works 7
Ball: Vice Pro

Grips: Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Midsize Teams

Definitely want to revive too. Just hit the King Pro CB 7i at my local PGASS with C-taper lite, and it was just amazing. Could put an easy 7i swing and was getting legit ideal numbers for me (18.5* launch, 116mph, 6800 back spin, carry 175, land 45.5*) and I could step on it hard to get up to like 124 mph ball speed. Could flight high to 36 yards, low to 27 yards, and go left and right. And felt like absolute butter. Never thought I'd be good enough to even consider a bladed set, but now all I want is something like this! I'm broken

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

Definitely want to revive too. Just hit the King Pro CB 7i at my local PGASS with C-taper lite, and it was just amazing. Could put an easy 7i swing and was getting legit ideal numbers for me (18.5* launch, 116mph, 6800 back spin, carry 175, land 45.5*) and I could step on it hard to get up to like 124 mph ball speed. Could flight high to 36 yards, low to 27 yards, and go left and right. And felt like absolute butter. Never thought I'd be good enough to even consider a bladed set, but now all I want is something like this! I'm broken

Did you watch the YouTube video by TXG of them flighting JPX Hot Metals left/right, high/low just like Maura blades? Pretty interesting. Unless you can put a Rickie Fowleresque swing on those, you are giving up a lot by gaming a set of these IMO. Golf is hard, don’t let the home team start out with a 3-4 point advantage.

AP2 to MB/CBs are a massive jump IMO. Just make sure you play a few rounds with them before ordering. Then hit a few balls below and above your feet out of semi-rough and let us know which one you like then.

I managed to find a place able to get me the missing 4,5,6 MB's (in black). Now I have the set of MB's (4-G) like I wanted

Congratulation to your find!

As long as they are available, I don't have to look after a replacement.

Actually, you can order single iron or full sets of CB's, MB's, or combo's directly from Cobra again, according to the website

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

• 1 month later...

Based on the release cycle, I'm guessing the next Forged Tour iteration won't be out until '19? And I'm guessing it too will just be a black rehash? I wouldn't be shocked by it, but that would make 7 years and 4 releases of essentially the same head with mostly minor cosmetic changes going back to the Amp Forged released Fall 2012. Still, these are the irons I want to be good enough to game but just can't quite pull my ball striking together enough (had the Fly-Z + for about 3 months and couldn't find the magic, but loved the look).

I enjoyed the Forged Tec too, but I think the Bio Cell + (with regular Bio Cell 5i mixed in) is going to be just enough more forgiving to give up a tiny bit in the feel department (since the Forged Tec was never buttery to begin with).

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

I called last week and talked to a Customer Service Person about this. I have the current King Pros and am starting to need new clubs after about 3 years of heavy use. I don't want to buy what I already have and then the new clubs come out. I asked them if there is any word. They told me nothing official but he word around the office is October or November. Again, I have no inside information. Just a phone call.

• 4 weeks later...

I called last week and talked to a Customer Service Person about this. I have the current King Pros and am starting to need new clubs after about 3 years of heavy use. I don't want to buy what I already have and then the new clubs come out. I asked them if there is any word. They told me nothing official but he word around the office is October or November. Again, I have no inside information. Just a phone call.

I did the EXACT same thing right about when you did looking for 4-PW in all MBs. They have been out of stock of the black 4-6 MBs for almost 2 months... The answer i got was:

Cobra: "It shows we have more coming in Mid August BUT to be totally honest with you those clubs have been out for over 2 years now"

Me: "Are you telling me you will be releasing a new one soon?"

Cobra: "I cant say but it has been out for over 2 years now and our normal cycle is around 2 years..."

Almost like he was trying to tell me to hold off on buying the current MB when it comes back in stock... Kinda telling since they have been out of stock that long with a club. Obviously do what you want with it and this is just speculation. Just passing on the words i was told.