2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby DBM/MMB/TE Forged Question

jasonp87

This is my 7 iron. My warm up club, lesson club etc... my 8 and 9 look the same. Most have a little leading edge wear. Put them in the bag last April and play mostly on an all bent grass facility with sandy soils. The soles and cavity look brand new.

I wonder if a coarse rubbing compound would remove the wear marks? After all, the finish is backed into the metal.

Why are you so worried about wear? Golf clubs are meant to be hit. They are going to wear. I would be much more impressed with a club like ryant0220 has with that wear spot then seeing a brand new shiny club. I see a wear spot like that on the first tee and I know I'm in for a tough match. To each there own but wearing out your clubs means your playing golf and the more golf the merrier. I wouldn't get to hung up on that. Cheers

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my 7 iron. My warm up club, lesson club etc... my 8 and 9 look the same. Most have a little leading edge wear. Put them in the bag last April and play mostly on an all bent grass facility with sandy soils. The soles and cavity look brand new.

I wonder if a coarse rubbing compound would remove the wear marks? After all, the finish is backed into the metal.

Why are you so worried about wear? Golf clubs are meant to be hit. They are going to wear. I would be much more impressed with a club like ryant0220 has with that wear spot then seeing a brand new shiny club. I see a wear spot like that on the first tee and I know I'm in for a tough match. To each there own but wearing out your clubs means your playing golf and the more golf the merrier. I wouldn't get to hung up on that. Cheers

The wear doesn’t bother me to the least. It’s character... but I am surprised by the wear as I thought it was “in the metal” but in person it’s as shiny as raw metal, so I doubt the finish is coming back. I will say that bag chatter is minimal and other than the face the clubs look great. These are the dbm’s btw.

The wear doesn’t bother me to the least. It’s character... but I am surprised by the wear as I thought it was “in the metal” but in person it’s as shiny as raw metal, so I doubt the finish is coming back. I will say that bag chatter is minimal and other than the face the clubs look great. These are the dbm’s btw.

The DBM treatment is not through the club, it's about 20 microns thick. It is extremely hard but once you wear it through that it's gone.

Finally got them back. Will have more pics later

590271795f7a35857b515659dd7edc9e.jpg

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

No natural light. Sorry.

1a6bcfecde40138cad296c05057d5dbd.jpg0b9dcadcc5ad8945c4a76c55d7e668ef.jpg4a6cf343c180276e457c93a801994ecc.jpg277bef88ea6f1466205a1352044f3615.jpg05476f682b48dc80aaa1022358332c17.jpga408bbdb56cf44f78c4be1aab24a6132.jpg3d02fe466061146bf9ef044cb8a1c8e5.jpg

It's the most durable dark/black finish there is for an iron that I've played and it's not even close. Please compare to what else you've played with a darker finish.

It's the most durable dark/black finish there is for an iron that I've played and it's not even close. Please compare to what else you've played with a darker finish.

Not disagreeing at all. They look amazing almost a year later. I live on a course and practice often and they’ve held up amazingly well. Someone asked for wear a tear pics and while I’d say my example is a little more extreme, it’s possible to wear through.

Here is a better pic of the paint fill. I removed the original paint and filled the numbers and bottom groove with metallic silver.

I like the silver.

Won’t get to it this weekend as I’m headed to play but I want to strip the colors from the M series+ wedges for a stealthier look. I will probably take out the red from the PTM cavity and leave it black. Thought about leaving all numbers white but may go with a shiny silver like that. It looks good. Should you put a clear coat over it after removing the excess paint?

Here is a better pic of the paint fill. I removed the original paint and filled the numbers and bottom groove with metallic silver.

I like the silver.

Won’t get to it this weekend as I’m headed to play but I want to strip the colors from the M series+ wedges for a stealthier look. I will probably take out the red from the PTM cavity and leave it black. Thought about leaving all numbers white but may go with a shiny silver like that. It looks good. Should you put a clear coat over it after removing the excess paint?

If you use enamel, no clear coat is necessary. I think black and silver will look awesome. I completely blacked out my GW to see how hard it is to see the number. I like the metallic copper I used on the set but may go silver if the black doesn't work just because it matches the color scheme of my bag and headcovers.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Just ordered #4 and #8 iron to try out. I already have KBS Tour, zz65, and PX5.5 shafts to play around with.

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model

I like the silver.

If you use enamel, no clear coat is necessary. I think black and silver will look awesome. I completely blacked out my GW to see how hard it is to see the number. I like the metallic copper I used on the set but may go silver if the black doesn't work just because it matches the color scheme of my bag and headcovers.

I didn't use a clear coat and I just used a good quality weather resistant silver metallic acrylic. I've only played 2 rounds though and haven't cleaned my clubs yet so it's hard to say. I've watched a few paint fill demos that all use acrylic and don't recommend a clear coat. I did also buy metallic silver Testers enamel as a backup in case the acrylic doesn't stick. Time will tell.. Luckily the process isn't too time consuming. Would love to see your pics when finished.

Hi All,

I'm looking for r some guidance in shaft choice. I built some DBMs 6-P with XP105 R300. I get about 130y from my 6 iron, i'm not a long hitter, maybe 180 of the tee with driver.

I want to build a 3,4 and 5 iron and was tinking about setting those up with a lighter shaft to get more height and distance. I'm leaning towards the KBS Tour 90 R. I have those on a TM UDI 1 R flex that I hit 170 of the tee. Is this a good choice?

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

Hi All,

I'm looking for r some guidance in shaft choice. I built some DBMs 6-P with XP105 R300. I get about 130y from my 6 iron, i'm not a long hitter, maybe 180 of the tee with driver.

I want to build a 3,4 and 5 iron and was tinking about setting those up with a lighter shaft to get more height and distance. I'm leaning towards the KBS Tour 90 R. I have those on a TM UDI 1 R flex that I hit 170 of the tee. Is this a good choice?

Suggest you think about taking the 3 and 4 iron out of your bag and substitute some hybrids. If you like the xp105 shaft in your 6 iron, go with the same in your 5 iron.

A 3 iron is almost extinct these days.

15 hcp

Hi All,

The KBS Tour 90 would be lighter than the XP105, but actually launches a little lower. I would probably throw some XP95 shafts in there, keeping the same line of shafts throughout your set. These launch higher and spin more than the KBS90's and the XP105's. You could also consider trying graphite shafts. Some great choices out there right now, especially with the Recoil's and Steelfiber's.

Cobra Speedzone Camo Edition w/ GD Tour AD DI
Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5* w/Diamana Blueboard 63
Mizuno MP 20 HMB 3-PW w/ DG 105

Mizuno S18 50*/55* 

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 60* ES 
PING Cadence TR Ketsch Mid

Finally got them back. Will have more pics later

590271795f7a35857b515659dd7edc9e.jpg

What the heck shafts are those?

XCaliber TourX

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Hi All,

Suggest you think about taking the 3 and 4 iron out of your bag and substitute some hybrids. If you like the xp105 shaft in your 6 iron, go with the same in your 5 iron.

Something to possibly consider is having your longer irons (6, 5, 4) cut down 1/2" from standard. I took a gamble on this strategy and it worked excellently. My 7 and 6 are the same length, my 5 is the length of my 6 and my 4 is the length of my 5.. and then I have a 3h that's also 1/2" short from its standard length. I've seen no gapping issues whatsoever, my trajectories haven't suffered and I'm able to control my shots a bit better. Swing weight difference is not noticeable. I actually look forward to hitting my 4 iron. I guess if you really wanted to split hairs, you could opt for a 5-10g heavier shaft to compensate but I don't feel the need.

As for the question about shaft recommendations, If you're looking for the higher trajectory, you're probably in the right neighborhood with the XP's. I might even recommend going lighter with the XP95 as a lighter shaft may help increase some swing speed and add some distance. I paired those up against the Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH's. The Nippons won and I love them. I haven't clocked my 6 iron speed but my driver is 110 very consistently and my 6 iron goes 180. This goes to show that a lighter weight shaft can suite different swings for different purposes. I just love being able to feel the club head at the end and I seem to get a little better feedback on my shots. I also opted to go with a lighter shaft because it allows me to swing a little faster without feeling out of control and my distances remained the same with my DBM's coming from a GI set that was 4* stronger. Other options to consider are UST/Recoils, Nippon NS or Zelos, and even the Maltby MPF Pro Iron shafts. There's no shame in the graphite game if you pick the right shaft. Hell, I'm lready considering the Maltby's for next year for my DBM's. They're an excellent option.

Hi All,

The KBS Tour 90 would be lighter than the XP105, but actually launches a little lower. I would probably throw some XP95 shafts in there, keeping the same line of shafts throughout your set. These launch higher and spin more than the KBS90's and the XP105's. You could also consider trying graphite shafts. Some great choices out there right now, especially with the Recoil's and Steelfiber's.

This makes a lot of sense. Thx.

Hi All,

Something to possibly consider is having your longer irons (6, 5, 4) cut down 1/2" from standard. I took a gamble on this strategy and it worked excellently. My 7 and 6 are the same length, my 5 is the length of my 6 and my 4 is the length of my 5.. and then I have a 3h that's also 1/2" short from its standard length. I've seen no gapping issues whatsoever, my trajectories haven't suffered and I'm able to control my shots a bit better. Swing weight difference is not noticeable. I actually look forward to hitting my 4 iron. I guess if you really wanted to split hairs, you could opt for a 5-10g heavier shaft to compensate but I don't feel the need.

As for the question about shaft recommendations, If you're looking for the higher trajectory, you're probably in the right neighborhood with the XP's. I might even recommend going lighter with the XP95 as a lighter shaft may help increase some swing speed and add some distance. I paired those up against the Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH's. The Nippons won and I love them. I haven't clocked my 6 iron speed but my driver is 110 very consistently and my 6 iron goes 180. This goes to show that a lighter weight shaft can suite different swings for different purposes. I just love being able to feel the club head at the end and I seem to get a little better feedback on my shots. I also opted to go with a lighter shaft because it allows me to swing a little faster without feeling out of control and my distances remained the same with my DBM's coming from a GI set that was 4* stronger. Other options to consider are UST/Recoils, Nippon NS or Zelos, and even the Maltby MPF Pro Iron shafts. There's no shame in the graphite game if you pick the right shaft. Hell, I'm lready considering the Maltby's for next year for my DBM's. They're an excellent option.

Interesting! I had them built to Mizuno off the rack spec, meaning my 6 iron is 37.25. So they are already a bit shorter than normal. I'm 5'7" so the length feels comfortable to me. I'm going with XP95s and will continue the progression of my irons at 0.5" longer as they go up. And after seeing some photos of other builds, I'll prob add a GW to my order.

Well , good luck grooving your swing with a 3i or 4i ? I gave up on the 3i years ago. And once in a blue moon, I'll flush a 4i. The 4i comes in handy for my punch shots from the woods.

A man can dream, can't he?

It's not absolutely ridiculously, these are more traditionally lofted and actually closer to the ping eye 2 specs. Some sets like the TM M4 the "4" iron comes in at 19* which is basically the eye 2 18.5* 2 iron. So with TM taking the 4 and 5 out is like older players taking the 2/3 out.

Anyone play PX 6.0 with dbm/mmb/PTM?

I don't play the 6.0 but I do play the px 5.0 in my mmb's and have a 100ish driver ss. I played the fst pro 125 tipped to s+ and had trouble with a really high ball flight, balls spinning up, and distance loss. I shelved them for most of last year and decided to throw in some px's and give them a second chance. Flight, control, spin, and distance are now everything I want. Feel is great. The mmb's went from being shelved to me selling my other sets. I don't cruse the bst looking for irons anymore. I find the px's to be an excellent fit for these heads for me.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

Played them again today for 27 holes. Much better today. Feels great upon contact when hit well. Pretty damn forgiving. The PW and Gap wedge look bigger than what I’m used to, but the top line is thinner then what I’m used to. The offset is hardly there. Love that. For some reason i thought there would be more. My i20s had a lot more. The PTM definitely seem like a wise decision. The wear thru 45 holes is great except on my 6i. Not sure why but there is a little metal from beneath the coating. May contact golfworks about another one.

The m series wedges are the easiest to hit full shots that I ever had. I think it’s the longer shafts. The 52 is 36†and the 58 is 35-3/4â€. That said they are harder for me so far to judge on touch shots around the green. Not used to them there yet.

I will also say, not sure if it truly has something to do with it or not but my tennis elbow thru 45 holes isn’t nearly what it has been. I’m hoping it has to do with these Xcaliber shafts but still too early to tell. Normally with the CFS in my i20 I’m sore for a week after playing. I will be playing 45 more holes in the next two days. That should tell me