2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby DBM/MMB/TE Forged Question

jasonp87

I absolutely love my DBM and doubt I’ll find anything better but I’m probably going to an all OEM bag.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely love my DBM and doubt I'll find anything better but I'm probably going to an all OEM bag.

Why? Not enough bling in the bag?

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

After reading so much about the DBM I think they will be my next set

So much cheaper and less stress just getting a set built to your specs

Callaway Padadym Triple D 8* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I have hit almost every Golfworks iron since 03,and the dbm and mmd are definitely top notch. Super forgiving like others have said. I’d also suggest considering the KE4 tour + . Not forged, and definitely a thicker top line, but exceptionally forgiving and playable. Been playing them in one form or another since ‘12. Just swapped shafts to 950gh and been very happy.

One other shaft to consider is the FST line. The 115 are great all around, very nice feel. The 125 are very stout. The 90 are great for slower swing speeds. And at $6 shaft the best deal out there.

Driver: SIM 9*, Ventus 6R
FWs: Maltby ke4 ist 17*, kura kage silver 65 R; ke4 ist pro 20*, Maltby fw shaft

4H: Srixon ZX, Evenflow Riptide 80 5.5

Irons: Golfworks TS2, 5i Recoil F3; 6i-GW , Nippon 950GH reg (all + 1/2”)
Wedges: Golfworks TSW 52 & 58
Putter: Odyssey versa 12
Ball: Maxfli tour x

I absolutely love my DBM and doubt I'll find anything better but I'm probably going to an all OEM bag.

When you say "OEM", are you thinking of that in reference to one of the largest companies? It stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, which Maltby and Golfworks are

Yea maybe “name brand” fits better. I’ve never had a custom fit set and I’d really like to see if it helps me.

Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Chrome Soft

Local place I might go to has big name OEM and Alpha...the fitters play Alpha.

Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Chrome Soft

I got fit still went maltby. Took the shaft, length and lie from fit. Found a maltby head with very similar specs. The p770 is very close to the mmb.

Now you got me interested

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I bought a set of heads in the fall because i really like the look and feel of the heads. Originally tried with XP 115 S300 and they went very high with a crap load of spin. I only could get maybe 160 out of the 6 iron (by comparison i hit my CB2 6 iron closer to 175), but it was cool to see it suck back 15 feet on the green. Next i tossed in a set of PX 5.5 pulls i had laying around. The seven iron tip was bent so i ended up softstepping the 5,6,7 and then straight in on 8-pw. Much better height and spin, but still a club or more loss in distance - which i just can't afford that kind of loss. Only played 3-4 rounds with them and am leaning towards unloading them. I have a set of nippon wt7000 stiff shafts i have thought of sticking in, but the DBM will probably eventually end up on the bst. Which sucks for me because i installed brand new Winn Dritech 20th anniversary grips on them (and noticed then after the had been glued up that the 8 iron had a 3/8-1/2 inch extension in it although wasn't able to tell any difference in play) and doubt i will get much of that money back. but oh well. Will probably just stick with my old CB2 for now.

Titleist TSR3 9.0 Ventus Black 6X
Titleist TSi2 13.5 Tensei AV Blue 75X

Callaway Epic Flash 18 Rogue Max 85TX
Titleist TSi2 21 Tensei AV Blue 75X
Sub 70 639 CB Black 5-8 KBS 120S
Sub 70 639 MB Black 9-PW KBS 120S
Sub 70 JB Black 48 KBS Tour S
Sub 70 JB Black 54 KBS TGI 80S
Sub 70 JB Full Groove Black 58 KBS TGI 80S
Bettinardi QB6 SBS

I bought a set of heads in the fall because i really like the look and feel of the heads. Originally tried with XP 115 S300 and they went very high with a crap load of spin. I only could get maybe 160 out of the 6 iron (by comparison i hit my CB2 6 iron closer to 175), but it was cool to see it suck back 15 feet on the green. Next i tossed in a set of PX 5.5 pulls i had laying around. The seven iron tip was bent so i ended up softstepping the 5,6,7 and then straight in on 8-pw. Much better height and spin, but still a club or more loss in distance - which i just can't afford that kind of loss. Only played 3-4 rounds with them and am leaning towards unloading them. I have a set of nippon wt7000 stiff shafts i have thought of sticking in, but the DBM will probably eventually end up on the bst. Which sucks for me because i installed brand new Winn Dritech 20th anniversary grips on them (and noticed then after the had been glued up that the 8 iron had a 3/8-1/2 inch extension in it although wasn't able to tell any difference in play) and doubt i will get much of that money back. but oh well. Will probably just stick with my old CB2 for now.

Leads me to believe youre steep and the dbm have too low an avcog for u

No doubt, your BST ad on your Maltby DBM irons will tout them as excellent distance and trajectory, with a bit too much spin for a control player such as yourself. LMFAO...

this makes me wonder, I am already a high ball hitter (never had issues with too much spin)

were you able to flight these low when needed?

how much for the heads ... sorry I couldn't resist lol

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Hmm, think I’m gonna pull the trigger on one of these with some Xmas money. No clue what shaft to get. Prolly try one of the packs. I know nothing of the SCORE shafts or FST.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Hmm, think Im gonna pull the trigger on one of these with some Xmas money. No clue what shaft to get. Prolly try one of the packs. I know nothing of the SCORE shafts or FST.

Budget KBS or DG kinda shafts. Theyre both pretty light. What shafts have u gamed in the past?

Currently the CFS in my i20. They are R hard stepped twice. Also played s300. Lighter shafts have never done well for me (the 90g ones) but i have real bad tennis elbow. My driver SS is 101 and I hit a 7i about 158.

You a low or high spin guy. Also launch?

They have a few DG Paks (but theyre .370 tip dg which play different then your typical DG)

And KBS Paks. The kbs tour might work good

Normally I’m a high ball hitter. Mid spin.

For all of you who are worried about hitting the ball too high with these, just bend them 1-2* strong...done. The lofts are weak (in comparison to other GI irons like CF16, MP-18 MMC/JPX 900 Forged, Srixon Z565, etc.) for something so forgiving. Just bend them strong and you'll notice a much flatter flight WITHOUT monkeying around with shafts.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

For all of you who are worried about hitting the ball too high with these, just bend them 1-2* strong...done. The lofts are weak (in comparison to other GI irons like CF16, MP-18 MMC/JPX 900 Forged, Srixon Z565, etc.) for something so forgiving. Just bend them strong and you'll notice a much flatter flight WITHOUT monkeying around with shafts.

But what shafts then? Just the cheapest SCORE ones?

Whatever shafts you think will work best for you. My sweet spot for shafts seems to be around 2* of torque and in the 105-115g range (precut). Play the shaft you play now or the closest iteration of that. If you play CFS, they are known to be made by Nippon, and weigh in the 105 range. So go Modus105, XP105, Nippon 1050GH, KBS 105, PXi 5.5, C-Taper Regular, or C-Taper Lite Reg.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

No doubt, your BST ad on your Maltby DBM irons will tout them as excellent distance and trajectory, with a bit too much spin for a control player such as yourself. LMFAO...

Naw, i would have the description read alot like my post. The last thing i would ever want is some one to mislead me when buying from the bst, so there is no way i would try to do that to someone else.

Bettinardi QB6 SBS

this makes me wonder, I am already a high ball hitter (never had issues with too much spin)

were you able to flight these low when needed?

how much for the heads ... sorry I couldn't resist lol

The flight with the project x was pretty good, and yes i could hit lower 3/4 type shots with them. I am just not a big fan of the project x shafts, these were the first set I have had with them and just don't really fit my swing.

I probably won't sell heads only, but i have 5-pw and would only be looking to get like 225 shipped for the set as is with the project x 5.5 and winn grips. The heads alone are $198 before shipping and tax, so i figure 225 is pretty fair. I would be looking at it as I was pricing more as for the heads, they just happen to come with shafts installed that you could try first.

Bettinardi QB6 SBS

If the weight fits you sure why not. They have the same step pattern as the dynalite 109, the steps towards the butt are a dead give away-

Some reading about the shaft-

http://ralphmaltby.com/forum/question/tt-score-lt-vs-tt-dynalite-gold-xp/

I have used it in wedges from ordering wedge packs and it is a decent shaft, they have all come in at 117g.

If the weight fits you sure why not. They have the same step pattern as the dynalite 109, the steps towards the butt are a dead give away-

Some reading about the shaft-

http://ralphmaltby.com/forum/question/tt-score-lt-vs-tt-dynalite-gold-xp/

I have used it in wedges from ordering wedge packs and it is a decent shaft, they have all come in at 117g.

Cool thanks. I automatically see a LT and think LITE and I always seem to think that means 90 or 95 g and that is too lite for me. Went from s300 to the CFS which I believe is 105 but anything less feels too lite. However been wanting to do graphite ( hence the Xcaliber in my earlier posts) but may try them once the newer stuff comes out from then.

How many of done this and then did you have any gapping issues with your wedges?