2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Whats the "get in shape for 2018" plan???

tigerfan23

I am doing my very own Charlie Rymer project. Like Charlie, I have gone back to taking lessons. In the past couple of years my game has diminished to the point where I haven't wanted to play. Knowing that I love the game, I have started taking lessons with an emphasis on strength and flexibility. My instructor is TPI certified, however my range also has a on staff Physical Trainer too. The trainer, instructor and myself are working together to achieve my desired results. Like Charlie Rymer, I am enjoying the process of discussing the goals, plans, and lessons. For me, this will be the catalyst for further diet and health. With that said, I would like to try the boxing activity too. That sounds fun. Better than lifting, at least to me.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty heavy, I want to lose around 15-20 lbs (minimum) before next April/golf season. I workout pretty regularly (I work as a personal trainer), but I just eat like crap, and my back tends to limit me from doing the high intensity workouts that I really enjoy, or running. So I do a lot of lifting but paired with still eating like crap I have a lot of extra weight.

My plan for 2018 is to continue with the TACfit26 program. I think this is my fourth time through the 104 days and I have to say I've been very happy with the results and I feel great almost all the time. And I'm starting to notice that my body craves the schedule and that it is pretty easy to stay with because I do not have to block out hours of time to get to the gym. An aded benefit for me is no two workout cycles are the same. =less boredom

I'm going to be 40 this May, 5'10" 180 at the moment... I used to lift weights and run but running is becoming painful and bad for my back. I may try walking more this year on the treadmill but I need to change big time in the coming year. Having 3 kids, two that suck at sleeping, makes the mid days really hard to stay focused on be active, that turns into my nap time... lol, but I'm going to have to power through. Just not sure where to start, besides diet. I need to ease back in but not really sure where to start. Gonna try like hell to eat better, drink A LOT LESS beer, and just be more active but would love to have an actual plan.

Titleist TSR2 10* GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 3H  Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless 34"

After 40, I think a major priority is rebuilding strength.

Muscle mass shrinks, fat increases. Even if you look kind of the same, thats mostly fat. Growth hormone, and to some degree testosterone, drops off, lean mass comes harder, fat burning is inhibited.

Heavy weight training increases growth hormone and testosterone levels. You can feel it. I think the key is to trick your body into thinking its young again and needs to lift heavy loads regularly. Keep shocking it by increasing the loads. You may stay the same or actually gain weight as your muscle mass increases if you dont cut fat. But you get a feel for how to best manage it and, unless you are very overweight and must lose weight to train first, you can lose weight after you get strong.

Nothing feels as good as lifting heavy $hit and feeling strong. Not talking 1 rep max type stuff. But going heavy enough so you are failing at 5 or 6 reps on your 4rt and 5th set. And it burns off stress and clears your head too.

Obviously, clear with a doctor first, and start slow.

Muscle mass shrinks, fat increases. Even if you look kind of the same, thats mostly fat. Growth hormone, and to some degree testosterone, drops off, lean mass comes harder, fat burning is inhibited.

Heavy weight training increases growth hormone and testosterone levels. You can feel it. I think the key is to trick your body into thinking its young again and needs to lift heavy loads regularly. Keep shocking it by increasing the loads. You may stay the same or actually gain weight as your muscle mass increases if you dont cut fat. But you get a feel for how to best manage it and, unless you are very overweight and must lose weight to train first, you can lose weight after you get strong.

Nothing feels as good as lifting heavy $hit and feeling strong. Not talking 1 rep max type stuff. But going heavy enough so you are failing at 5 or 6 reps on your 4rt and 5th set. And it burns off stress and clears your head too.

Yeah, I’ll pass. Last 2 times I “lifted heavy sh**” to feel strong, I wound up having back surgery (both times).

Ive been doing that since Labour Day - So about 3 months - first time in 10 years Ive lifted heavy - I did feel amazing and was strong as a Mofo. Looked 100x better but really felt the same and everything hurt....

I think this year Im going to walk every morning on treadmill for 30 min - do yoga a couple times a week and lift light weight twice a week - Push / Pull routine..... nothing crazy just clean up the diet for sure.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5 Tour AD DI 6 Stiff

Callaway UT 17 and 21 MMT 70 Stiff

PXG 0311 P Gen 6 4-G

SM10 56S 60M

Bettinardi Queen B 6

My wife and I started Optavia about 3 months ago. What we've learned is that nutrition is 80% and exercise about 20%. It also taught us what to eat and in what amounts. That's been great as I used to eat tons of rice, pasta and potatoes....and never felt satisfied, but did feel like crap later. Now we're smarter about our carbs now but aren't trying to go full Atkins. Early on, my wife and I lost weight, but now I'm actually gaining some as I build muscle.

From an exercise standpoint, I've been on a lifting program (nothing crazy, but lots of reps to fatigue and then dropping weight from there, and repeating), and have noticed some ball speed gains. Really stoked about what next year will bring when I can actually take this swing out to the course!

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

Things went downhill pretty fast after turning 40 for me. I'm 6'3" and in my mid to late 30's I got down to 170 for awhile. I had given up boozing and the weight just fell off. It was also a goal of mine to get back to my high school graduation weight. Fast forward to now I'm 41 and not drinking is no longer an option. I've found myself flirting with the 200lb mark and it's panic time.

The plan moving forward it to limit the booze, carbs and move more........simple as that. Elliptical at least 3 days a week for 30 mins and the other days some sort of yoga or stretching.

I have been doing yoga for 6 years, and it really helps with flexibility and balance, but I've found that I'm losing strength and endurance. It is probably one of the reasons I finish poorly when playing golf, especially in multi-day tournaments. So when the season ended here, I started doing this program: https://www.amazon.com/Get-Strong-Transformation-Strength-Using-Calisthenics-ebook/dp/B071VM4FZD -- all body-weight exercises.

Still struggling with upper body strength (stuck on week 4), but most definitely feeling stronger. I am hoping to get through the second phase by spring, but even if that doesn't happen, it feels good to have some strength back.

59 years old. I have back trouble for the last 30 years. Usually a couple of bouts of trouble annually. I also suffer from rotoscoliosis which has lead to a marked muscle imbalance from left to right. Two months ago I severely strained my back during the beginning of our curling season. Too much too fast and still thinking I'm 30 and can push through the early season discomfort. My back didn't respond to treatment. It needed time to heal.

I'm (or used to be) ~6' 2" and weighted from 200 - 235 at my heaviest after retiring from a physically demanding profession. I was always active, but never one for exercise; I abhorred it (mostly because I was too tired)!

After consultations with GP and physiotherapist I am now exercising consisting of a brisk 45 minute walk daily followed up by stretching exercises and now some strengthening exercises featuring planks and an exercise ball. It has been tough because I'm stressing muscles that I haven't used in a long time, but the back is feeling remarkably better. I've dropped 10 lbs. since the injury occurred no doubt due to the increase in activity, cutting back on alcohol and caffeine and watching what I'm eating as well as portion size. I'm amazed at the progress in three weeks. I had hoped that I might be pain free and have normal range of motion by Christmas and that has largely been achieved. Now to continue and build on the new routine a strengthen my core so that his sort of thing doesn't recur as frequently and when it does, the recovery will be much quicker. What seemed like an impossibility a month ago, I'm now working towards being back on the ice curling by the end of next month. It doesn't take a lot, i just takes dedication to a new routine to make a big difference!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I have been doing yoga for 6 years, and it really helps with flexibility and balance, but I've found that I'm losing strength and endurance. It is probably one of the reasons I finish poorly when playing golf, especially in multi-day tournaments. So when the season ended here, I started doing this program: https://www.amazon.com/Get-Strong-Transformation-Strength-Using-Calisthenics-ebook/dp/B071VM4FZD -- all body-weight exercises.

Still struggling with upper body strength (stuck on week 4), but most definitely feeling stronger. I am hoping to get through the second phase by spring, but even if that doesn't happen, it feels good to have some strength back.

Hey, thanks for sharing, this stuff looks pretty cool. It says "arms" but this hits chest, shoulders and back well too.

Interesting. Ill stick with weights, have some goals I want to hit, but will mess around with this too.

Im sure you know this but if you are doing these guys workouts, you should be eating a lot of protein to repair/build muscle. You can get an easy 25 grams of protein with one scoop of this mixed with just 6oz of water. It mixes very well and tastes great.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Im sure you know this but if you are doing these guys workouts, you should be eating a lot of protein to repair/build muscle. You can get an easy 25 grams of protein with one scoop of this mixed with just 6oz of water. It mixes very well and tastes great.

https://www.bodybuil...e/opt/whey.html

Actually, that hadn't occurred to me. I'm not looking to add mass, but is the extra protein about more than that?

I've added Australian pull ups to the first phase in order to try to "catch up" a bit with the upper body. Add the hangs to that and my forearms scream at me. But at least I should be able to open jars for my wife!

https://www.bodybuil...e/opt/whey.html

Actually, that hadn't occurred to me. I'm not looking to add mass, but is the extra protein about more than that?

I've added Australian pull ups to the first phase in order to try to "catch up" a bit with the upper body. Add the hangs to that and my forearms scream at me. But at least I should be able to open jars for my wife!

Well, Im no expert, but from what I see in the video I posted, thats not just an "arms" workout...

Dips hit the chest pretty hard

Pushups and thos headstand pushups hit chest and shoulders

Narrow grip pullups hit lats more than people think.

And if there are other squat type excercises in your program, quads are your biggest muscle.

The number of sets and reps fall within strength training range. And these workout are hitting big muscle groups with compound moves.

So, these moves have a goal of building muscle in order to do them effectively. To build muscle, not crazy mass, just enough to handle the loads in those workouts, you need protein. I would think you need over 75 grams/day at least if you do a workout like that 3 or more times a week. 75 minimum, more (100g+) would be better.

Figure a couple of lean servings (20-30 grams/serving) of protein a day from "real" food. But its hard to stuff your face every day so a supplement/powder can help for the other 25-50 grams. Make sure you look at the added sweetener for what is best for you.

I started doing karate with my son a little over a year ago. It’s been awesome. We do two classes a week and add a sparring class when we can.

I’ve started working out with weights again and try to do a bunch of core exercises while watching tv.

For Christmas I got a heavy bag and stand to put in the garage.

I keep telling myself to start jogging but haven’t managed that yet. But the men’s group at my church meets about every two weeks for a night of pickup basketball games.

I turn 40 in March and I’m getting into the best shape of my life. The ultimate goal is to see multiple abs instead of the one big ab I have now.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

2017 was decent. Did quite a bit of yoga in jan - march - golfed and did nothing else until Sept. Started lifting weights again in Sept unitl now.

I've done P90X and P90x3 in the past (P90X3 was amazing)

What is the Plan for 2018?????

@ almost 40 I think my weightlifting career is over. I would love to do yoga every other day with 30 min on treadmill every other day. That is my plan in 2018. Nothing crazy just work on flexibilty and lose a few lbs...

Cardio? I don't speak Spanish.

Seriously though...former weight lifter...always been big. I have been following the Ketogenic diet for the last 6 months, and feel awesome...dropped about 35 pounds and have kept it off. No real exercise other than hitting golf balls, walking around and what not.

I will admit...I miss lifting. I will probably start again in January, and follow the 5-3-1 strength program. Will work back up to about a 250 pound overhead press, 365 pound bench, a 405 pound squat and a 495 pound DL...not world record breaking but respectable for a guy my size.

On my off days, will actually work on flexibility training...I am going to be 46 in March, and would like to hit my 50s in better shape when when I started my 40's.

Eliminating anything with cane sugar, more fish and green monster smoothies for lunch. There are many variations of the Green Monster . . . nobody asked for it, but I'll give it to you anyway:

1 large or 2 small apples, quartered (any except Granny Smith sour varieties).

1 large or two small carrots, cut.

4 lemon slices with peel, about 3/8" thick.

1 avocado.

1 banana.

4 slices of ginger, about 1/8" thick.

2 whole turmeric

2 cups leaf spinach, compacted.

3 cups kale, compacted.

1 level tablespoon cinnamon.

1 liter of cold water (hopefully filtered or bottled water).

Blend on low/med until ground up, then on higher speed for 2 minutes.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

I started 2017 at 73kg (160), and dropped to 70 now (154). I am 5'9 and at my largest was 78kg (172). I took up Muay Thai and then Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, with almost no other exercise than very infrequent running. Muay Thai was killing my back, but did give me a club extra....

My diet is crap living in SE Asia as rice and noodles are a core staple of any affordable food, but I rarely drink any more and don't miss it. Due to an imminent relocation to Hong Kong, I've dropped the gym and am feeling crap, so my plan is to get back into the gym (I'm realistic to know that continuing BJJ in a highly stressful job may be hard, so going back to weights may be the only option). We will be moving to somewhere with good trail running, so I want to take that back up as well. I know I am already minuscule by north american standards, but I'd like to keep my weight but pack on some more muscle and strength again, and try if I can to either complete a 50k trail, or get my blue belt in BJJ!

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

• 3 weeks later...

a few weeks in.... Been lifting a bit a couple days a week with a bit of yoga mixed in.

Tomorrow morning im going to alternate yoga / cardio at home at 6am daily (Very short 30 min of each every other day).

And lift weights 3 days a week whenever my sched dictates I can but nothing crazy

chest / tri

back / bi

shoulder / traps

16 sets of 12-15 reps light weight only various exercises.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5 Tour AD DI 6 Stiff

Callaway UT 17 and 21 MMT 70 Stiff

PXG 0311 P Gen 6 4-G

SM10 56S 60M

Bettinardi Queen B 6

Was at the opening night gala for Barrett Jackson last night. Realized I happened to be wearing the same pullover last year. Nice to see the hard work on the trails paying off. No gym just hiking. Down 20+ pounds vs this time last year.

DTmNMwCV4AA1ELh.jpg

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Being that I am in my lower 40's, I decided to go with the Total Gym. Good, lower impact exercising that both me and my wife can use.

Mr. Wolfe

Was at the opening night gala for Barrett Jackson last night. Realized I happened to be wearing the same pullover last year. Nice to see the hard work on the trails paying off. No gym just hiking. Down 20+ pounds vs this time last year.

DTmNMwCV4AA1ELh.jpg

You guys look great, congrats!

Mr. Wolfe

Being that I am in my lower 40's, I decided to go with the Total Gym. Good, lower impact exercising that both me and my wife can use.

Mr. Wolfe

You guys look great, congrats!

Mr. Wolfe

Thanks Mr Wolfe, really started in Sept, started to GPS track and log my hikes in November. Nov and December, logged over 90 miles and close to 18,000 feet of elevation gain on 11 hikes. Plan is to keep at it, which should be easy until the AZ summer hits. It is a lot more enjoyable than the gym too.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

This burned a few calories

DSaHRZlVAAADnmU.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120