2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

56*: 100

60*: 100

Are you sure both of those really are 56/60? I'd have them measured. Stock wedges are often off a degree or two. Forged wedges are especially prone to bending and changing their loft over a season of play. If you're a digger and really hit down with your wedges you might need to have them bent back a couple times a year.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone want to play Highland Meadows in Windsor Sunday at 12? Teeoff has it for $40 w cart ($32 with the code I have good today only), but they aren't letting singles book it yet, so I need at least one other person wiling to pay me back in cash.

If you've never played it, it's a great layout with a lot of interesting holes, plus there aren't that many people that drive up to Windsor in the off season. The locals play earlier and the afternoons are usually empty in the off season so it's usually a quick round. Pretty easy drive as it's just off I-25 near the Budweiser events center.

So, question for you guys on gapping/club selection. I hate (and I mean hate) my current 56*, so I'll be getting rid of it for sure. Question is what do I replace it with. My other question is what club do I add to my bag. I've got room for one more...another wedge? 5 wood? What do you think? Here's my current gapping/yardage:

D: 285

3w: 245

3 hybrid: 225

5i: 195

6i: 185

7i: 175

8i: 155

9i: 145

PW (45*): 130

AW (50*): 120

I rarely take full swings with my wedges, but when I tested on Trackman, 56 and 60 had same distance. I've noticed it on the course too. I ended up getting the AW as part of my iron set.

Also, wanted to add a plug for South Broadway CC...finally went there a few weeks ago. Great spot, Kelly is awesome. I'm going to take some lessons from him and see how it goes, but I liked his comments and demeanor when I was there. Can't wait until he's fully open.

I would add 4 hybrid or 4 iron and bend it so that it fits your 210 gap. I'm not 100% sure what's going on with your 56 and 60 but I've always feel like I hit those clubs to close together so I play a 50, 54, and a 61. The weird numbers gives me the nice 12 yard gaps. Is your AW a regular wedge or is it part of a set? I've always had an issue with the gap between the last iron club and the first wedge club. Good luck!

Thanks, I like the idea of adding something in that 210 range. For now I've been either trying to muscle up the 5i or choking down on the 3h. Would be nice to have something to just hit.

The AW is part of the iron set. I was torn about doing that but am glad I did, it's one of my favorite clubs. When I really need to I can hit it 140-145 and I like chipping with it. It's turned out to be quite versatile. But yeah it's pretty odd. I think I'm going to try out a 54* that's the same as my 60* and see what happens. Hoping it fills that 110-115 gap for me.

Are you sure both of those really are 56/60? I'd have them measured. Stock wedges are often off a degree or two. Forged wedges are especially prone to bending and changing their loft over a season of play. If you're a digger and really hit down with your wedges you might need to have them bent back a couple times a year.

Could definitely be something like that, I'm having lofts and lies checked next week so we'll see. I honestly think it's more an issue with the shaft. It's got that Spinner wedge shaft on it which I am not a fan of. Guess we'll see next week. Thanks for the input!

So, question for you guys on gapping/club selection. I hate (and I mean hate) my current 56*, so I'll be getting rid of it for sure. Question is what do I replace it with. My other question is what club do I add to my bag. I've got room for one more...another wedge? 5 wood? What do you think? Here's my current gapping/yardage:

I rarely take full swings with my wedges, but when I tested on Trackman, 56 and 60 had same distance. I've noticed it on the course too. I ended up getting the AW as part of my iron set.

Also, wanted to add a plug for South Broadway CC...finally went there a few weeks ago. Great spot, Kelly is awesome. I'm going to take some lessons from him and see how it goes, but I liked his comments and demeanor when I was there. Can't wait until he's fully open.

I would add 4 hybrid or 4 iron and bend it so that it fits your 210 gap. I'm not 100% sure what's going on with your 56 and 60 but I've always feel like I hit those clubs to close together so I play a 50, 54, and a 61. The weird numbers gives me the nice 12 yard gaps. Is your AW a regular wedge or is it part of a set? I've always had an issue with the gap between the last iron club and the first wedge club. Good luck!

Second on the 4i or hybrid. That's almost my gapping to a tee. Keep the wedges for different scenarios. I use my 60º way more than I thought I would, but almost exclusively break out the 55º in bunkers, unless short-sided.

Or carry two putters! /s

Anyone want to play Highland Meadows in Windsor Sunday at 12? Teeoff has it for $40 w cart ($32 with the code I have good today only), but they aren't letting singles book it yet, so I need at least one other person wiling to pay me back in cash.

If you've never played it, it's a great layout with a lot of interesting holes, plus there aren't that many people that drive up to Windsor in the off season. The locals play earlier and the afternoons are usually empty in the off season so it's usually a quick round. Pretty easy drive as it's just off I-25 near the Budweiser events center.

If you still need someone, I'd be down! The GolfWeek tour is playing up there later on in the year, and I've never seen the course before. Definitely don't like showing up to play a competitive round at an unknown course. Granted the conditions will definitely change between this weekend and July 14th...I'd at least be able to see the course and get a feel for the layout.

As far as the distance/club gaping issue...not even going to touch that. I only play with my set's stock 46º PW, and a 52º GW. I carry a 56º SW for green side bunker play, but that's the ONLY time I take it out of my bag. And I'm so inconsistent lately. Sometimes I feel like my 5 & 6 iron fly further than my 4 iron (due to so many mishits).

Anyone want to play Highland Meadows in Windsor Sunday at 12? Teeoff has it for $40 w cart ($32 with the code I have good today only), but they aren't letting singles book it yet, so I need at least one other person wiling to pay me back in cash. If you've never played it, it's a great layout with a lot of interesting holes, plus there aren't that many people that drive up to Windsor in the off season. The locals play earlier and the afternoons are usually empty in the off season so it's usually a quick round. Pretty easy drive as it's just off I-25 near the Budweiser events center.

You may wish to give Highland Meadows a call and confirm. When I stopped in last weekend they were still cart path only and that can make for long rounds at Highland Meadows. Course maybe that is just for me since I tend to be on the side of the fairway that is opposite the cart-path (doesn't matter right/left for me :().

Last round we played I had to pull my bag and walk to my ball a couple times since I wasn't sure what clubs I needed and didn't want to carry like 5 clubs back and forth, so I just met the cart at the hole...luckily I had someone who was closer to the cart path as my cart mate.

If we didn't have a birthday party that day I'd be in for playing since I live 2 minutes from the course :(

Okay. Who called The Dom and Jeremy Show this morning to say that his girlfriend won't let him buy any more golf clubs?

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

If you still need someone, I'd be down! The GolfWeek tour is playing up there later on in the year, and I've never seen the course before. Definitely don't like showing up to play a competitive round at an unknown course. Granted the conditions will definitely change between this weekend and July 14th...I'd at least be able to see the course and get a feel for the layout.

Sent you PM. We're booked. I usually walk there with my push cart if it is cart path only, but the cart is included if you want to ride. They may get snapped up quickly, but the other two spots are open now if anyone wants to join us.

I think you need to add a weak 7i :) j/k I have a similar gap problem there as well. I can hit the 8i 160 once in a while, but the 7i just goes so much further.

I would say depends on what types of courses you play. Do you find that you need a 210 club a lot? You could add a 4i. I personally think you would get more benefit out of a wedge but I am biased. I carry 5 of them. In my opinion anyone with a short game worth a damn should be carrying a 64. It is not a club you will use all that often if you are doing it right but it can really allow you to get creative when you short side yourself. It is also my idiot proof club out of green side bunkers.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Okay. Who called The Dom and Jeremy Show this morning to say that his girlfriend won't let him buy any more golf clubs?

I assume it was Jeff Heuerman http://golfweek.com/2018/02/27/nfl-player-contractually-agrees-to-not-buy-another-driver-for-5-years/

Clearly these people are doing it wrong. When Callaway pre-owned had that sale last week I bought my wife a wedge. Nothing for myself.

When Callaway pre-owned had that sale last week I bought my wife a wedge. Nothing for myself.

That she knows about. ;)

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

I assume it was Jeff Heuerman http://golfweek.com/...er-for-5-years/

Clearly these people are doing it wrong. When Callaway pre-owned had that sale last week I bought my wife a wedge. Nothing for myself.

I bought the wife an Epic driver, got my own about 2 months later. She was still hitting a 910, I had gone through about 3 drivers since the 910.

I think you need to add a weak 7i :) j/k I have a similar gap problem there as well. I can hit the 8i 160 once in a while, but the 7i just goes so much further.

I would say depends on what types of courses you play. Do you find that you need a 210 club a lot? You could add a 4i. I personally think you would get more benefit out of a wedge but I am biased. I carry 5 of them. In my opinion anyone with a short game worth a damn should be carrying a 64. It is not a club you will use all that often if you are doing it right but it can really allow you to get creative when you short side yourself. It is also my idiot proof club out of green side bunkers.

Interesting, I'm definitely not opposed to getting 2 wedges instead of just replacing the 56 and getting something else. I mostly play GVR and CommonGround, with Murphy Creek coming in a close 3rd. 64 is definitely intriguing.

Oh and yeah, definitely don't know what's up with that gap between 8i and 7i! I do play the Callaway Apex, and there's a difference between the AW-8i and 7i-3i...wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Have you considered bending your 8i-56* a couple degrees stronger to get the desired gapping you're looking for?

Will you stop trying to impeded my desire to get a new club? You sound like my wife :taunt:

But yeah, I may play around with an option like that. I'm going in for a fitting with Weitzel on Monday for a new driver, so hopefully I can chat with him about this as well and see what he recommends.

Oh, and post back about your driver fitting session. I need to get a new driver pretty soon here and I've heard nothing but great things about Weitzel.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Oh, and post back about your driver fitting session. I need to get a new driver pretty soon here and I've heard nothing but great things about Weitzel.

Will do for sure. I'm excited to work with Dan. I may also go back to Club Champion but we'll see how it goes Monday.

I'm really curious to see what the new drivers will do. Last year when I get fit before the season, my current driver was a total carry of 232 and the driver I was fit into was 254. Average swing speed was 94.7/96.3. Decided to work on my swing instead of getting the new driver last year. Past two sessions I've had on simulators show my driver at 288 (100.3 swing speed) and 285 (106.2 swing). So we'll see how much better something else may be!

Interesting, I'm definitely not opposed to getting 2 wedges instead of just replacing the 56 and getting something else. I mostly play GVR and CommonGround, with Murphy Creek coming in a close 3rd. 64 is definitely intriguing.

Oh and yeah, definitely don't know what's up with that gap between 8i and 7i! I do play the Callaway Apex, and there's a difference between the AW-8i and 7i-3i...wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Also play the Callaway Apex. We might be on to something here. I guess I could try getting the 7-iron bent one degree weak.

Have you considered bending your 8i-56* a couple degrees stronger to get the desired gapping you're looking for?

read this after I made the post above. Yes that would probably be the correct ting to do. With my A-wedge I've gotten a lot better with making 3/4 swings when I need to hit less than full yardage which is why it hasn't been a huge concern for me.

read this after I made the post above. Yes that would probably be the correct ting to do. With my A-wedge I've gotten a lot better with making 3/4 swings when I need to hit less than full yardage which is why it hasn't been a huge concern for me.

I've just started choking up on the 60* and skulling it to fill that gap. Works out ok.

I've just started choking up on the 60* and skulling it to fill that gap. Works out ok.

I've got that shot. Just wish I knew when it was going to happen.

Yeah, Dan's awesome!

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Okay which one of you was at Murphy Creek around 4pm with the 18' club cameron bag ???

Definitely not me. The only Scotty I've seen that even makes me want it is the old Tel3 Newport Two. But I can't jump on one even in bad condition. Too hard for me to pay that kind of money for a putter. I'm going to miss anyway...