Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

I had an epic Ray-Ray at Indian Peaks yesterday. Before yesterday, my worst round there was 76. Everything was working well on the front nine; I missed two good birdie looks, but still went out even par. I was confident. I scrambled for par on the really short 10th hole; I hook my drive under a tree. Lost ball, duffed second drive, and 3-putt from 2 feet for a sweet quad on 11; then 1-over for the next five holes. Then I finish double-quad for a mind-blowing 47 (44 adjusted). Good game me.

Lone Tree on Thursday, then CommonGround on Sunday. I've pretty much locked myself a position for the season ending tourney at Eisenhower Silver at the end of the month, so I'm excited.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an epic Ray-Ray at Indian Peaks yesterday. Before yesterday, my worst round there was 76. Everything was working well on the front nine; I missed two good birdie looks, but still went out even par. I was confident. I scrambled for par on the really short 10th hole; I hook my drive under a tree. Lost ball, duffed second drive, and 3-putt from 2 feet for a sweet quad on 11; then 1-over for the next five holes. Then I finish double-quad for a mind-blowing 47 (44 adjusted). Good game me.

Lone Tree on Thursday, then CommonGround on Sunday. I've pretty much locked myself a position for the season ending tourney at Eisenhower Silver at the end of the month, so I'm excited.

Congrats on making the tourney.

Have you played the Silver course before? If not, putting those greens are tough. It's not long. I think the 1up (white) play at ~6000yds so you'll hit a ton irons. And remember that everything breaks away from the mountains.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Still think the 910 was one the best drivers made. Based on reviews of the TS3 and the Mizzy 919's I am going to have to look at a serious over haul this year. Heck Irons are 3 years old and driver is 2 years or so.... Seems about right for WRX to swap out LOL

When I was 14, I got a full set (2-SW) of Ping Eye 2 (the extremely rare "plus no plus" version) irons. If they hadn't been stolen out of my garage 10 years ago, I would still probably be gaming them today.

False. I still have a set and they just don't hold up compared to todays irons anymore. Maybe if you could also find some Balatas they might work better.

I disagree. I shot my lowest round ever this summer with O.G. Eye2’s in the bag. They are a club short, but they still perform.

drn92

Great news, congrats. The Silver is a fun course. Short, especially from the second tee box, but great elevation changes and greens. Very much a second shot course. Plenty of opportunity to lay up to your preferred distance for your approach shots.

drn92

Still think the 910 was one the best drivers made. Based on reviews of the TS3 and the Mizzy 919's I am going to have to look at a serious over haul this year. Heck Irons are 3 years old and driver is 2 years or so.... Seems about right for WRX to swap out LOL

When I was 14, I got a full set (2-SW) of Ping Eye 2 (the extremely rare "plus no plus" version) irons. If they hadn't been stolen out of my garage 10 years ago, I would still probably be gaming them today.

False. I still have a set and they just don't hold up compared to todays irons anymore. Maybe if you could also find some Balatas they might work better.

I disagree. I shot my lowest round ever this summer with O.G. Eye2’s in the bag. They are a club short, but they still perform.

drn92

Oh I have no doubt that if you are swinging well you could still shoot a number with them. I just mean in terms when I miss a shot with my Apex irons vs the Eye2's its a pretty stark contrast. One thing I don't miss about them is hitting one off the bottom groove and it stinging all the way up through my hands and arms. But that is probably true for any cast/steel vs forged/graphite combo.

Maybe I'll break them out for a casual round this fall and see they play better than I remember. I'll definitely have to add one club to every shot due to the loft difference.

I wonder what it would be like to play a round with the Ping Eye 2 woods? Would they work with today's golf ball?

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Good Lord was today frustrating. Those greens over at GVR made me feel like snapping my putter in half and quitting the sport all together.

TWO, yes TWO 4-putts today. In one round.

Also had four 3-putts.

Oh, did I mention it was during a tournament round too?

Update: Round 2 yesterday. Saturday's low score was a 77, so I knew with a first round 86, I'd have a very hard time making that up. Knew I had to come in super low to have a chance. Told myself, if I don't get off to a hot start, I'm going into "F*** It Mode" early, and going after every short Par 4. Well...started off my round by putting TWO straight balls into the hazard. I was striping everything with my driver & 3 wood on the range, then completely duffed my first drive. Re-teed, pull hooked my second shot into the hazard left. Our league has a triple bogey max, so after not being able to find my second drive, I just sat in the cart and wrote down triple. Then the second hole, had a couple bad luck bounces and breaks, and ended up with a double. So I was +5 through 2 holes.

Then I ended up going 1-over between #3 and #16. Just on fire. Some of the best golf I've played all year. So all I had to do, was par out to shoot 78. Hit #17's green, and ended up 3-putting for bogey. Okay, fine. Still just got to par the final hole to break 80. Drive slices right into the rough, layup runs about 6 inches through the fairway, leaving me a 185 yard approach shot into the green. Pushed it right into a green side bunker, splash out, and have a 15 footer for par. Nope, no dice. Wasn't in the cards. Ended up finishing bogey-bogey to shoot an 80. But still, I felt good coming in at +8 when I was +5 during the opening 2 holes.

Hit 11 out of 14 fairways, and 11 out of 18 greens. That's way better than my usual averages. So I'll take it. Was only 3 strokes off 4th place (lowest pay out), and 10 strokes off the leader.

If I eliminated all 3 and 4 putts from my two rounds...I would have tied for the lead. 10 lost strokes on those putts alone. Not to mention the amount of bad chips & pitches I could have improved on. The fact I know I have that within myself, will always keep me coming back. Can't wait for next season already.

A lot of people in the know basically say Tara Iti is the best, most perfect course of all time including the big dogs. Incredibly exclusive, some weird rules, but supposedly you can get a one time only chance to play.

Here is a good write up on the course and some pics. https://www.golfdige...de-of-the-world

I found that article too after you mentioned it. I'm planning on being in the area so we'll see if I can pull it off. That would be AMAZING

I hear you. I had a fantastic ball striking day yesterday. Won $225 pro shop money and $70 cash so I’m not gonna complain too much....oh wait, of course I am

I burned 6 edges. Had one putt take a look in the hole and then just pop out and another toilet bowl and actually end up back on the side I was putting from. 3 putted from inside 12 feet twice. Missed a 4 foot birdie as well. It was a day I could have easily shot even par or better but had to settle for 5 over. So damn frustrating this game is.

Sorry for going full Yoda there

You won a collective $300 out there. You don't get to complain!

Shot a tidy 77 in my morning round at Legacy Ridge yesterday. Never played the course, battery on the rangefinder was dead the first time I used it, and I lost my 50 degree wedge on the fourth hole (left it beside a bunker). Basically played on feel all morning and aside from missing four birdie putts, I have nothing negative to say. The greens there were extremely good, the weather was perfect, and walking in the first group got me nice and warmed up in the semi-fall-like air...until it got a little warm right before the end of the round. Possibly the most zen round I've played in my life.

Followed that up with the ugliest 84 I can remember at CO National. It was HOT, windy, I was riding (which I never do), and I was skanking the ball all over the place early in the round. Played with a pretty big hitter and I kept trying to match him, I was swinging out of my shoes on the front nine. Settled in on the back and played to two over...but didn't see any putts fall. The greens got pretty beat up late in the day, and the round was pushing five hours. Compared to the cool weather in the AM and walking it in 3:40 (in a foursome), it was a slog.

Take me back to my zen place. Just of those rounds you don't even know what you've got going until you get to 16 or so. I wish I could have seen a few more putts fall instead of zip by the edge.

To Dewey & Jacob: It doesn't matter how good you shoot you will always have that feeling it could've been better. Personally, I've ALWAYS had that same feeling after walking off the course shooting the best I've ever shot. I've come to understand that even on my best days there are shots that will go wrong. I've never played a round of golf where things didn't get wonky for a hole or two and you need to SCRAPE out a par or bogey. Is that what keeps us coming back?

Brian: The greens at Legacy are always legit. I think the best public greens in the north suburbs. It would be a no-brainer favorite course for me if it wasn't for some previously mentioned design flaws; 6 & 16, and I like 18 but what course did it come from? Oh the Nash. Thanks for reminding me of the things I didn't like about that course. There are many things I love, but those are basically the entire hate list, lol. Just avoid it on weekends, it's not worth the money unless it's under $35. Weekdays are great.

A lot of people in the know basically say Tara Iti is the best, most perfect course of all time including the big dogs. Incredibly exclusive, some weird rules, but supposedly you can get a one time only chance to play.

Here is a good write up on the course and some pics. https://www.golfdige...de-of-the-world

I found that article too after you mentioned it. I'm planning on being in the area so we'll see if I can pull it off. That would be AMAZING

You'll need the pro at your home course to write a letter to Tara Iti as they want to know who is coming and won't let just anyone who calls out there. Also be prepared for sticker shock ($1200+ for golf and the mandatory at least one night stay depending upon the season). If you can, play some other nice courses down there beforehand and maybe you'll get lucky and run into a member who can send you out there for under a thousand. You do only get one shot unaccompanied in your life, but you can stay as long as you and your bank account can afford for that one stay. If you aren't willing to part with thousands, don't waste your pro's time.

You'll need the pro at your home course to write a letter to Tara Iti as they want to know who is coming and won't let just anyone who calls out there. Also be prepared for sticker shock ($1200+ for golf and the mandatory at least one night stay depending upon the season). If you can, play some other nice courses down there beforehand and maybe you'll get lucky and run into a member who can send you out there for under a thousand. You do only get one shot unaccompanied in your life, but you can stay as long as you and your bank account can afford for that one stay. If you aren't willing to part with thousands, don't waste your pro's time.

Wow. I love golf, but I love playing 20 times more than one round like that. I have a few places on my must-play list that ring up at about $250, but that's really the most I think I'm willing to pay. Course looks absolutely stunning, but I had no idea the price was that high.

Wow. I love golf, but I love playing 20 times more than one round like that. I have a few places on my must-play list that ring up at about $250, but that's really the most I think I'm willing to pay. Course looks absolutely stunning, but I had no idea the price was that high.

You're basically paying for a seaside luxury boutique hotel and fine dining in the middle of nowhere with few other guests on site. You may have the course and the whole complex to yourself on many days. Plus you'll be able to play 36+ easily in a day, so if you factor all that in you can somewhat justify it. The mandatory caddies don't help on the cost front either, but it's cost competitive with other places of it's kind. I'd much rather spend that kind of money there than for a night and a very crowded, 6 hour tee time at Pebble Beach.

Finding a member to get you on as their guest makes it much more reasonable although still way outside your $250, so hopefully you befriend a rich member some day who takes you gratis :-D

Definitely not a "justifiable" experience. But I'm sure I'd try to swing it if life brings be back down that way. New Zealand is my favorite country I've spent time in. Also, playing Red Hawk Ridge friday afternoon. Always wanted to play but never have.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Definitely not a "justifiable" experience. But I'm sure I'd try to swing it if life brings be back down that way. New Zealand is my favorite country I've spent time in. Also, playing Red Hawk Ridge friday afternoon. Always wanted to play but never have.

I like Red Hawk a lot, but always seem to forget to make it down there to play. Every time I've played the course has been in great shape, they do a nice job.

My guess is that you won't hit very many drivers there. But that course is certainly one you can score on.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

My guess is that you won't hit very many drivers there. But that course is certainly one you can score on.

Unless you want to take a huge risk on #1, you'll only use your driver once (#7) for the first 12 holes.

Golf Galaxy is having a TM GAPR fitting event tomorrow from 4-8pm. More details on their website.

Hmmm... website says to call and sign up, but the guy said it's first-come-first-serve. This should be interesting. I'll be there around 4:15pm.

You're basically paying for a seaside luxury boutique hotel and fine dining in the middle of nowhere with few other guests on site. You may have the course and the whole complex to yourself on many days. Plus you'll be able to play 36+ easily in a day, so if you factor all that in you can somewhat justify it. The mandatory caddies don't help on the cost front either, but it's cost competitive with other places of it's kind. I'd much rather spend that kind of money there than for a night and a very crowded, 6 hour tee time at Pebble Beach.

Finding a member to get you on as their guest makes it much more reasonable although still way outside your $250, so hopefully you befriend a rich member some day who takes you gratis :-D

I think I misread and saw $1200 for golf. Is it $1200/night including golf? That's a little different if so...though still very expensive. But I could get closer to getting on board that way.

Golf Galaxy is having a TM GAPR fitting event tomorrow from 4-8pm. More details on their website.

Hmmm... website says to call and sign up, but the guy said it's first-come-first-serve. This should be interesting. I'll be there around 4:15pm.

Nice. Looks like they're also doing TS2/TS3 fittings all week. I'll probably be in there for both, with 0 intention of buying anything. Just want to see how the GAPR Low stacks up with the P790 UDI.

I think I misread and saw $1200 for golf. Is it $1200/night including golf? That's a little different if so...though still very expensive. But I could get closer to getting on board that way.

Yes. If you are unaccompanied, you must stay at least one night. And that price will vary based on the current exchange rate and time of year.

We may have 1 or 2 spots open for Lone Tree this Thursday. 4:30 & 4:40. PM me if interested.

I hit the GAPR a few weeks ago at the PGA store and really liked it. I need a club at the top of my bag anyway, currently have nothing between my 5i and 3h. However I think I may wait until next year and get fit for something to replace my 3h potentially and then see if I want to do something like 4h-3h, of maybe one of the GAPR/UDI options, or two of those...will be fun to play around with.

:black eye: That is brutal. I can think of a course I would pay that much for. However those courses are reserved for the special name and what has transpired there. I didn't have to pay anything near that to play Carnoustie the Friday after the open or Le Golf National combined and THEY HOST MAJOR'S.

Oh well, such is life.

Dancin, it would appear you know a thing or two about this course personally......... What's the story?!?!

:stink: That is brutal. I can think of a course I would pay that much for. However those courses are reserved for the special name and what has transpired there. I didn't have to pay anything near that to play Carnoustie the Friday after the open or Le Golf National combined and THEY HOST MAJOR'S.

Oh well, such is life.

Dancin, it would appear you know a thing or two about this course personally......... What's the story?!?!

Haven't been there yet, but played with multiple people who have.

1500+ to play golf is out of my budget at this stage in my life. But getting the time to go to New Zealand isn’t really feasible either. I like to hope that by the time I have the ability to go on a trip like that, I could swing 2-3k to stay and play a couple of days.

Based on what I’ve read and photos I’ve seen, I’d say it would be worth it. Like Dancin said, it’s not just a green fee. Your getting to stay at a high end private facility and everything that comes with it. Think about a long weekend in NYC. Stay at a luxury hotel in Manhattan, go eat at some high end restaurants, and buy tickets to Hamilton. There goes 2-3k. I look at someplace like Tara Iti in the same light.

One more thing... when is this heat going to finally break?!?!

Played Murphy Creek on Sunday, and it was just brutal. Teed off at 8am and we played in freaking 4:50. Guys I got paired with were friendly, but holy crap they were slow. Didn’t matter anyway, because as slow as we were... we still caught the group in front of us 3 or 4 times and had to wait on tee boxes. Add in the nearly 90 degrees with not a cloud to be seen, it was horrible. By 15 I just wanted off the golf course.

Got a tee time lined up to play GVR on Saturday... hoping the heat and the pace is better...

Hopefully today is the last day above 90. Looks like mid-high 80s the rest of the week, and 60's next week!

Unless you want to take a huge risk on #1, you'll only use your driver once (#7) for the first 12 holes.

I played there earlier this year and hit a bunch of driver...a couple on the front are reachable par 4s. But i also like to get a little frisky/risky, so I could see not hitting many drivers if you’re playing safe(smart) haha

Played Murphy Creek on Sunday, and it was just brutal. Teed off at 8am and we played in freaking 4:50. Guys I got paired with were friendly, but holy crap they were slow. Didn't matter anyway, because as slow as we were... we still caught the group in front of us 3 or 4 times and had to wait on tee boxes. Add in the nearly 90 degrees with not a cloud to be seen, it was horrible. By 15 I just wanted off the golf course.

Got a tee time lined up to play GVR on Saturday... hoping the heat and the pace is better...

Wait. What? You were in one of the first groups off and played it in nearly five hours?! I'd expect something nearer that if you went off at 2PM, but that's inexcusable for such an early time. I hate being at the mercy of the first group out, and have come to the conclusion they should only let early groups out based on handicaps. Or only give the first hour of times to walking singles or twosomes. I know that's not possible, but sure would be nice.

How were the greens considering they punched on Thursday and Friday?

Played Murphy Creek on Sunday, and it was just brutal. Teed off at 8am and we played in freaking 4:50. Guys I got paired with were friendly, but holy crap they were slow. Didn't matter anyway, because as slow as we were... we still caught the group in front of us 3 or 4 times and had to wait on tee boxes. Add in the nearly 90 degrees with not a cloud to be seen, it was horrible. By 15 I just wanted off the golf course.

Wait. What? You were in one of the first groups off and played it in nearly five hours?! I'd expect something nearer that if you went off at 2PM, but that's inexcusable for such an early time. I hate being at the mercy of the first group out, and have come to the conclusion they should only let early groups out based on handicaps. Or only give the first hour of times to walking singles or twosomes. I know that's not possible, but sure would be nice.

How were the greens considering they punched on Thursday and Friday?

You’re preaching to the choir, Brian. I couldn’t believe it was that slow. I played good thru 11. By 12-14 I made some sloppy bogeys just because I was starting to get frustrated. 15 just had a total meltdown and made a quad. It was pure frustration because of how slow and hot it was. I think it took us an hour to play 13-15. The two par fives were a nightmare... and after all that, we caught the group ahead on 16 in the fairway and had to wait on them to tee off 17. So somehow they played even SLOWER!

Greens were in good shape. I think they punched them 2-3 weeks ago. They’re mostly healed up. Couple of bumpy putts, but overall definitely playable. Maybe a smidge slow for MC, but nothing to complain about.

This coming weekend is the last weekend before GVR punches. They’re scheduled to do next Mon-Tues I think.