Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

Also, scheduled a fitting Saturday morning at Club Champion to go check them out. Looking to replace utility irons, irons, and wedges. Really interested in Srixon/Cleveland or Mizuno/? this year. Leaning Srixon if the numbers look good. I'll let you guys know next week.

HAHAHAHAHA I called today to discuss a fitting with the 785's at CC. (maybe a split set) Looking in 3 weeks out based my schedule with work and I will be out of town in a bit too

I told them up front I want to be fit in the best stock shaft from Mizzy, unless they can show me something that much better but Mizzy offers up a lot of excellent shafts with very little up charge so sure I can get the specs dialed in and just order them.

Edit: let me know your thoughts on the fitting. I know 5 people who have done it now and its 50/50 on it.

Great minds think a like. I’m really hoping to fit in to the Srixons with modus but we’ll see what happens. CC is close to my house so I’m going to hit some balls to warm up before I go so I know where my swing is.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, scheduled a fitting Saturday morning at Club Champion to go check them out. Looking to replace utility irons, irons, and wedges. Really interested in Srixon/Cleveland or Mizuno/? this year. Leaning Srixon if the numbers look good. I'll let you guys know next week.

HAHAHAHAHA I called today to discuss a fitting with the 785's at CC. (maybe a split set) Looking in 3 weeks out based my schedule with work and I will be out of town in a bit too

I told them up front I want to be fit in the best stock shaft from Mizzy, unless they can show me something that much better but Mizzy offers up a lot of excellent shafts with very little up charge so sure I can get the specs dialed in and just order them.

Edit: let me know your thoughts on the fitting. I know 5 people who have done it now and its 50/50 on it.

Great minds think a like. I’m really hoping to fit in to the Srixons with modus but we’ll see what happens. CC is close to my house so I’m going to hit some balls to warm up before I go so I know where my swing is.

Great minds indeed LOL I was thinking I would go to South Suburban or Ranch and warm prior as I struggle in a those bays going in cold.

I tried a 4 shafts (Project x / KBS/ Project X LZ/ Modus) OF them the KBS in Stiff + and the LZ worked best for me. Modus was oddly not good on the monitor as I always thought that the KBS tour and them were supoosed to be the same??

I use KBS Tour now so knew it was going to be decent probably.. Try the LZ, it gave me the best numbers but I was not using the ball I normally play.

LZ shocked me as I never thought about it. I was between 6.0 / 6.5 as I guess the softer mid flex it plays a "bit" softer then standard Project X. You can feel that shaft load in the 6.0 when you stand on it and it feels really good with the 785 but if you over step on it it spun up and launched high The 6.5 was close but a bit low on numbers.

Bring your ball you play of course, that was one reason I wanted to do CC because can use the ball you actually play using trackman.

Heh - not my favorite either, but primarily because it (i) takes driver out of your hands on so many holes and (ii) has so much elevation change between tee/fairway and green.

I’ll never know what this is like. I hit driver as much as I can. In fact I played with my wife at Riverdale Dunes and two buddies. One of them bet me I couldn’t shoot under par from the ladies tees. I drove the green on #18 and two putted for a 71 despite a double on #5 and a couple three-putt bogeys. I hit driver on every non par 3 other than 14 & 15. I actually had a blast doing this. In fact I think I might start playing sub 6300 yard tees from now on. So much fun for me. Shot 75 the next day from the gold tees at Heritage Eagle Bend.

Sure I can go shoot an 88 from the tips but why would I want to?

I’m the same way; driver gets pulled every time unless I’m absolutely forced to hit less club.

I’d be super down to play the up tees from time to time, but the amount of waiting on par 4s for the green to clear would kill me.

That’s fair, but after the first two holes there weren’t many I personally could reach until the end. But we were lucky in that we followed a shotgun start and pretty much had the course to ourselves once they finished

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Heh - not my favorite either, but primarily because it (i) takes driver out of your hands on so many holes and (ii) has so much elevation change between tee/fairway and green.

I’ll never know what this is like. I hit driver as much as I can. In fact I played with my wife at Riverdale Dunes and two buddies. One of them bet me I couldn’t shoot under par from the ladies tees. I drove the green on #18 and two putted for a 71 despite a double on #5 and a couple three-putt bogeys. I hit driver on every non par 3 other than 14 & 15. I actually had a blast doing this. In fact I think I might start playing sub 6300 yard tees from now on. So much fun for me. Shot 75 the next day from the gold tees at Heritage Eagle Bend.

Damn, even back on the Blues (still only 6430), I only pull driver...6 times at the Dunes. All 4 of the Par 5's + #5 and #13. Everything else is between a 3 iron, 2 UDI, and 3 wood.

Looking at my scorecard for the Dunes...that would be super fun to try playing from the Red tees sometime. We should get a GolfWRX outing where we all play from the Reds and see who comes in lowest.

Damn, even back on the Blues (still only 6430), I only pull driver...6 times at the Dunes. All 4 of the Par 5's + #5 and #13. Everything else is between a 3 iron, 2 UDI, and 3 wood.

Looking at my scorecard for the Dunes...that would be super fun to try playing from the Red tees sometime. We should get a GolfWRX outing where we all play from the Reds and see who comes in lowest.

I’ve only played the Dunes once, but as I recall I hit driver pretty much everywhere. But I probably hit it straighter than anything longer than six iron. I think we played one up from the tips.

I’ve only played the Dunes once, but as I recall I hit driver pretty much everywhere. But I probably hit it straighter than anything longer than six iron. I think we played one up from the tips.

I know a handful of holes out there (1, 6, 14, 15, 18) either the fairway completely runs out or gets so narrow it's nearly impossible to hit. Hell, I've run through the fairway on #1 and #6 with my 3-wood before. :o

I know a handful of holes out there (1, 6, 14, 15, 18) either the fairway completely runs out or gets so narrow it's nearly impossible to hit. Hell, I've run through the fairway on #1 and #6 with my 3-wood before. :o

I’m going to have to see if I can find the scorecard and see if I can remeber some of the holes.

I’m going to have to see if I can find the scorecard and see if I can remeber some of the holes.

Yeah, after digging out the card you’re right. It wasn’t driver as much as I thought. I think (it has been a while) there were two or three of those holes where it wasn’t driver. Wish I had marked the card with a little more information.

Jack Vickers passed away on Monday. RIP

Reading his bio, he became president of his father's petroleum company in 1940 at the age of 15. That's baller.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

My buddy who made the bet with me plays mens league there and was talking to one of the pros about this very thing. He said none of them have broken 65 from the red tees because of how awkward a lot of the holes play for them. I imagine the 8th hole at 90 yards is no picnic with water and traps short and such a shallow green. It was a perfect 59 degree wedge for me however.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

@Joelness

Hey Joel,

Sorry I got super busy at work and didn't get back to here for the Italy recommendations. Best I could do after pestering the significant other (who is our travel agent) for names of places to go was to get her blog posts about our Italy trip.

Blogs are located here, full disclosure/warning the blogs are in Chinese, but the town names are "usually" listed in English and I can get you specific about any things in there you find that might be interesting. Google translate does an okay job of getting these into somewhat understandable English.

http://blog.wenxuecity.com/myblog/48821/201804/27802.html

http://blog.wenxuecity.com/myblog/48821/201710/25072.html

Sorry for the delay. Hope you're enjoying your trip

My buddy who made the bet with me plays mens league there and was talking to one of the pros about this very thing. He said none of them have broken 65 from the red tees because of how awkward a lot of the holes play for them. I imagine the 8th hole at 90 yards is no picnic with water and traps short and such a shallow green. It was a perfect 59 degree wedge for me however.

I've been thinking about joining a men's league somewhere for next year. A lot of courses have them mid day, mid week for some stupid reason though. Was looking at the Saddle Rock/Murphy Creek league...but Riverdale might be better. I definitely play the 2 Riverdale courses more than anywhere else as is.

Looks like Red Hawk Ridge has one...but it's one of the more expensive leagues/clubs at $330 for the year. Got some research to do this offseason to see where I want to go/what I want to do.

I would also throw Meadow Hills and Wellshire into the mix.

Interestingly enough, I've never played either of those courses. Lol

I'm looking around, and Buffalo Run's is really cheap, and looks like they have some fun events.

The Broadland's would have me playing from the back tees out there, which is nearly 7300...don't know if I could swing that. I have a hard enough time at that course from 6700.

Plum Creek isn't too bad, and looks like they do a fun event in October versus Colorado National, Bear Dance, and Riverdale.

I didn't realize how many options there are!

Also, is there any unwritten rules in golf that you can't be in multiple men's leagues? Is that taboo or anything?

Interestingly enough, I've never played either of those courses. Lol

Meadow Hills and Wellshire are fantastic because they are muni courses, so they are very easy walks. IIRC, Buffalo Run has A LOT of gaps between holes; and the elevation changes at Plum Creek and Red Hawk Ridge would give me pause as a walker.

Also, is there any unwritten rules in golf that you can't be in multiple men's leagues? Is that taboo or anything?

Absolutely not. A bunch of the guys in FRGC are Club Corp members (and they schedule FRGC events so that they don't interfere with ClubCorp MGA events--most of the time); and a decent number of FRGC members also are regulars on Golf Channel Am Tour. The best was a guy I knew back in the day who was a men's club member at Bear Creek and Kennedy. Talk about slumming it. lol

Looks like D'Lance updated their indoor hitting bays. All 3 have been set up with Trackman now, and still offer 24 hour memberships that offer use of the Trackmans. Can play virtual rounds, just get numbers, save videos of your swing, etc.

Only thing, they've definitely jacked the prices way up to account for the new equipment.

$249 for a 1 month membership.

$549 for 3 month.

$1149 for a full year.

Which, if you utilize it enough, is worth it. Considering South Broadway Country Club charges $40/hour to use their Trackman. So if you go late at night/early in the morning all the time, you could definitely come out on top. But that's a whole lotta money to throw down at once.

Looks like D'Lance updated their indoor hitting bays. All 3 have been set up with Trackman now, and still offer 24 hour memberships that offer use of the Trackmans. Can play virtual rounds, just get numbers, save videos of your swing, etc.

Only thing, they've definitely jacked the prices way up to account for the new equipment.

$249 for a 1 month membership.

$549 for 3 month.

$1149 for a full year.

Which, if you utilize it enough, is worth it. Considering South Broadway Country Club charges $40/hour to use their Trackman. So if you go late at night/early in the morning all the time, you could definitely come out on top. But that's a whole lotta money to throw down at once.

Yeah. Hard pass on that for me. I'd rather go play 2-3 times a month (without even looking for discount tee times) for the money I'd spend on that membership. Heck, that's about as often as I have time to play anyway.

RE Riverdale Dunes: I hit driver on almost every hole except #1, but I'm more than comfortable going after it most of the time. I mean, I'm an almost automatic 270 total, though I can drive the green on #14 and nearly get there on #2 from the blues. Given my tendency lately to top my 3W more often than not, I'd rather run through the fairway.

P.S. Jacob:

WTF is that guy doing all the way over there on #6 anyway?!?! That ball is OB by 50 yards. LEAVE IT

P.P.S

The only reason there is OB over there is so people don't spend all day looking for their golf balls. They added it on recommendation from the CGA for THAT EXACT REASON.

LOLOLOL

The first time we played there together I distinctly remember pushing a ball about that far over. It's apparently not as hard as anyone thinks! And weirdly, isn't that hole like the #2 handicap?

P.S. Jacob:

WTF is that guy doing all the way over there on #6 anyway?!?! That ball is OB by 50 yards. LEAVE IT

P.P.S

The only reason there is OB over there is so people don't spend all day looking for their golf balls. They added it on recommendation from the CGA for THAT EXACT REASON.

LOLOLOL

The first time we played there together I distinctly remember pushing a ball about that far over. It's apparently not as hard as anyone thinks! And weirdly, isn't that hole like the #2 handicap?

I was being quiet but I'm pretty sure I've hit it over there as well...

Have some rounds left if anyone is interested in them. We simply bought too many and my schedule got kind of crazy lately so I haven't been able to use them.

The Ridge at Castle Pines, 3 rounds with cart and range left on a punch card. No restrictions except you can't book more than 7 days out - $165 ($55 per round)

GVR, 2 passes with no restrictions

- $55 includes green fee, cart, range and lunch (brat/dog, chips, beer/soda)

- $45 includes green fee, cart and range

I also have friends that have more $55 GVR passes

Let me know if anyone is interested. Cheers!

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Have some rounds left if anyone is interested in them. We simply bought too many and my schedule got kind of crazy lately so I haven't been able to use them.

The Ridge at Castle Pines, 3 rounds with cart and range left on a punch card. No restrictions except you can't book more than 7 days out - $165 ($55 per round)

Are the GVR rounds digital or on a card of some sort?

Cards

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Cards

Can I be a tentative yes to one of the GVR rounds?

Quick aside: Haven't met you in person, but I remember a while back you talking about skating (also, your avatar). I got back on my board for the first time in about 15 years this morning at Denver Skatepark. Took my daughter out (17 months) more just to let her watch people who actually know what they're doing. HOLY. MOLY. I was never great even when I did it regularly in my teens, but it is not like riding a bike. That muscle memory to feel comfortable on anything other than a flat surface is going to take a while to get back.

Had a great time, and my little girl had an absolute blast cruising around in my arms and standing on the board between my feet while watching other people, but I felt so incompetent out there.

Enjoy those GVR rounds you got!

And ???? =)

Waiting on them to send me the trackman numbers and I’ll throw something up

I didn’t get the trackman info so I can add later. Club Champion was a modern version of D’Lance. I worked with Mitch and he was awesome through the whole process. He guided me through and let me hit what I wanted without trying to pigeon hole me into certain shafts or heads. My current set up was Titleist 716 TMB, CB, MB combo with C Taper parallels. I went in wanting to hit srixon 785’s and the Mizuno 919’s but was open to anything. We worked through some shafts and found the Nippon NS Pro 1050’s to be the clear winners. Other stuff was decent but these added 3-4 MPH ball speed took my spin down from 7000 to 5300 and added some yards to my carry. I hit through a bunch of heads including 785’s, P790’s, i210’s, PXG gen 1’s, and Mizuno 919 Forged (didn’t hit the tours because I’d probably like the, and I want to move away from any blade style). The two that stood out were the 785’s and PXG’s. The most disappointing was the 919 forged, didn’t feel that great and lost 3-4 mph ball speed.

This made my decision easy as I really wanted to like the 785’s, I also hit the U85 and the P790 driving irons. the U85 was a beast and I was really impressed with how it felt and how easy it was to hit.

Final set order was 3, 4 U85, 5-PW 785, and 50 54 60 in the Cleveland RTX4 in Tour Raw. All are shafted in Nippon NS Pro 1050S 1/2 inch long and 2 degrees upright.

While he was punching everything in, I pulled out my driver to see what the TrackMan Numbers looked like. My best ball got up to 117.6 club speed, 1.52 smash, and 179 ball speed with like a 335 carry. The fitter said he’s only seen a couple people get in to 170 ball speeds so I figured it would be a good thing to post on WRX.

Prices were what you’d expect from a place like this. Really depends what shafts you end up in. Mitch was really cool with trying to work towards shafts offered by the manufacturer which. If you’re going in, have an idea of what shafts are no upcharge with what manufacturer you’re interested in. I got close to the Nippon modus 130s which were no upcharge but the 1050’s were significantly better. If anyone goes over there, I’d highly recommend trying to get Mitch to do your fitting.

Played Walnut Creek Wednesday and they had a ranger out gettin after a group after 4 holes....finished in 4 hours.

Played Ute Creek today and watched a Marshall continually drive past groups without saying a word....we played 11 holes in 3 1/2 hours and called it quits.

Ute Creek is always ridiculously slow, especially on weekends, but today was brutal. I’ve played in amateur events that moved faster.