Callaway X Forged UT iron

GolfWRX

I’m sorry if this had been addressed already. I’m thinking of adding an 18* x-forged UT. Should I match the shaft to my irons (KBS Tour 130) or my hybrid (Hzrdus black 85 6.5)? I have no problem launching my long irons if that matters. Thanks

Its fun to throw in a saucy graphite hybrid shaft into the driving iron, if by magic you get the pairing eventually right - it can create a monster. Often times steel is the safer choice though...I often revert back to my steel shaft driving irons.

I've been against 85g shafts in driving irons, so I will continue to do so :). 100g+ or bust

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming from an apex ut which i loved....... i must say im very impressed with the x forged ut i have paired this with the same shaft as i had in my apex ut. Miyazaki kosumo blue 7x.

The difference between the two is

X forged Feels much softer and has a much more forged sound..

X forged launches a little higher and spins a touch more maybe like 500 rpm.

Im approx 5 rounds in with the X forged Ut 2 of which were up at Turmp Turnberry where this thing really come into its own on a tight windy links course..

very impressed at how easy it is to knock the flight down both from the tee and deck..

safe to say im a big fan..

Most people use these as lower hitting replacements off the tee and I'd be using it as completely the opposite - an easier to hit, more forgiving and higher launching long-iron. I had the Apex UT's but ditched them because they actually hit BULLETS and were too low spin compared to a standard 4-iron. Are these going to be more of the same or are people finding good results with replacing the 3/4/5 irons with these while being easier to hit? I don't need something that hits head high with zero spin by any means.

I have the 18, 21, 24, 27 and they do launch higher. Love, love, love the 24 and 27 and the 21 and 18 are switched back and forth according to the course I play.

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered the 18 and 24 in DG S300. I can't wait to gain the 230 tee shots again and the low/mid bullets into the wind. Tired to hooking hybrids and their inconsistency. Hope they can get these out quickly as I'm stoked to use them.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Just ordered the 18 and 24 in DG S300. I can't wait to gain the 230 tee shots again and the low/mid bullets into the wind. Tired to hooking hybrids and their inconsistency. Hope they can get these out quickly as I'm stoked to use them.

OD i took one to florida last month (21 deg with PX) and it was great. You will love them.

TSR2 1K BLACK 65 10

TSR2 1K BLACK 75 16.5

TSR2 1K BLACK 85H 18

T200 4-GAP AMT BLACK

NICKEL SM10 54S 58S

BETTINARDI QUEEN B 6 COPPER

OD i took one to florida last month (21 deg with PX) and it was great. You will love them.

Why did you sell yours?

TaylorMade TP5

Why did you sell yours?

A few reasons. I found the 2018 Xforged irons relatively hard to hit compared to AP2. And I didn't have enough shots on my home courses to justify a spot in the bag.

I would have no issues playing the 2018 Xforged again but would do UT in 21 and 24 and 5-PW Xforged.

But at this point I'm more than happy with the AP2.

TSR2 1K BLACK 65 10

TSR2 1K BLACK 75 16.5

TSR2 1K BLACK 85H 18

T200 4-GAP AMT BLACK

NICKEL SM10 54S 58S

BETTINARDI QUEEN B 6 COPPER

Why did you sell yours?

A few reasons. I found the 2018 Xforged irons relatively hard to hit compared to AP2. And I didn't have enough shots on my home courses to justify a spot in the bag.

I would have no issues playing the 2018 Xforged again but would do UT in 21 and 24 and 5-PW Xforged.

But at this point I'm more than happy with the AP2.

You have always loved your AP2, not sure why you ever change. I did the 18 and 24 degree in the utility club

TaylorMade TP5

I have kgeorge78's former UT 21* -> Kevin is every Club-Ho's BFF ! :D

I just posted in a FliHi thread: I have tried unsuccessfully to be a Driving-Iron-Guy over the last several years, having tried several UDI with different shafts, older Fli-Hi cut-muscle, and current MP-18 Fli-Hi. I bought some wedges from kgeorge78 and before he shipped he emailed " wanna try a 2018 Cally X Forged UT 21* with PX6.0 ? " . I don't like PX but bought it anyway. Damn, that is first DI I am putting in the bag. I like the thinner sole, the ball gets up easy off the deck. I re-shafted with a spare Accra Tour i110 playing to 38.75" and 22*. It has a home in the bag for 2018 riding beside my MP-18 MMC 5-PW.

I would readily buy the UT 24* if I see one.

For me, the UT is uncannily hit'able & straight, for a guy who is not the greatest at long-irons ( 4i & 3i )

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Fits a 18* UT in a Rogue Pro set with the pro 3 Iron at 19*?

Love my 3i!

Any experiences with rogue pro and 18* UT as driving Iron?

GD Tour AD TP 6X Big Bertha B21 9,5°

GD Tour AD MT 7X Callaway GBB Epic 18°

Fuji Ventus Blue 100X TI Callaway Apex UW 21°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway XForged'18 UT 24°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway Apex Pro'19 5-PW

DG Tour Issue Onyx S400 SM9 50°/54°/58° Jetblack

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro

Im trying out a srixon u65 now. It got first crack as my irons are srixon. If it doesn't work out the Callaway is next up. I checked one out the other day and really liked how it looked at address. The Srixon is a little clunky imo.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Im trying out a srixon u65 now. It got first crack as my irons are srixon. If it doesn't work out the Callaway is next up. I checked one out the other day and really liked how it looked at address. The Srixon is a little clunky imo.

I have a u65 now and considering move to the Callaway

one concern i have is the whether the UT is lower launch and how the forgiveness stacks up

thoughts would be much appreciated

Ping G430 Max - Accra Fx3.0 140-M0 / VA Nemesys 6-S

Mizuno ST-Max 3W - LIN-Q M40X Red 5F3

Ping G430 7W - AD-DI 7-S 
Cobra King Tour 4-PW - Modus 105-S
Cleveland RTX6 50 / 54 - DG spinner / 60 - Oban CT 125-S
PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a u65 now and considering move to the Callaway

one concern i have is the whether the UT is lower launch and how the forgiveness stacks up

thoughts would be much appreciated

anyone?

or should i wait for the new srixon coming in september?

thanks

Ping G430 7W - AD-DI 7-S 

Has anyone compared this to the P790 3 or 4 iron? Is it safe to assume the P790 is higher launching and a bit more forgiving?

Interested in this comparison as well

very interested in this as well still

Ping G430 7W - AD-DI 7-S 

Im hitting the 790 udi just so-so . Thinking of going the x forged ut route or adding the 3 iron of the apex cf16s . Can anyone conpare the x forged ut to the cf16 3 iron?

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

Im going Callaway here. More appealing to my eye at address. Flight is lower than u65. Feel is good. I think the Callaway is less penal on off center strikes.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Has anyone compared this to the P790 3 or 4 iron? Is it safe to assume the P790 is higher launching and a bit more forgiving?

Interested in this comparison as well

very interested in this as well still

Had the Callaway utility buy wasn’t a huge fan with the turf interaction. It also didn’t seem as hot as the p790 3 iron. I absolutely love my 3 iron. I use at my course for many tee shots on tight holes as it hit low/mid biullets. Also gives me a low stinger off the deck. I play a dg s300 in it. Not a fan of lightweight shafts. I had the same shaft in my Callaway utilities. I will add they don’t have the workability of my 718 cb Irons, which is fine because straight to a slight cut is fine for my intended use. I did have the Tm 3 iron bent 1 degree flat to fall in line with my irons lie angle. It was upright at standard.

TaylorMade TP5

I tried the UT out at the store to see if I could blend it into my X Forged set; substituting the 4i. They had the stock PX 6.0 shaft and I honestly wasn't that impressed. I had hoped it would since it would match up nicely in aesthetics but ended up going with a 716 T-MB on sale. My X Forged set was originally in PX 5.5 but recently reshafted to C Taper Lites.

I previously used an MP18 Fli Hi but it's 1* stronger and flatter in stock form. Worked ok but the flight wasn't what I was looking for out of a 4i.

Have the 790 udi with hzdus black

Hit the 18* XF with 6.0 Px

The xf feels hard and clicky. Flies low and very piercing flight

The udi feels and sounds way softer. Flies higher as well.

Maybe need to try a different shaft in the udi

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

Is the consensus that the UT is easier to hit than the U65? Looking for a hybrid replacement and cannot demo much around here. Was able to hit the UT in PX 6.0, but was hitting it a little too low. Was very easy to hit and felt very forgiving for it's profile. I think if I got a graphite shafted version, I could get the launch up considerably. The U65 can be had for much cheaper. Also, I would imagine it would blend well with my current set (even though the sole is ginormous). I have also read that the stock graphite shaft is not the best.

At the end of the day, I am looking to hit this club from a variety of lies. There are 2-4 holes (depending on wind direction) on my home course where I could definitely use this off the tee. But, on long par 5's into the wind, it would be nice to have a shot that doesn't balloon like a hybrid does.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Is the consensus that the UT is easier to hit than the U65? Looking for a hybrid replacement and cannot demo much around here. Was able to hit the UT in PX 6.0, but was hitting it a little too low. Was very easy to hit and felt very forgiving for it's profile. I think if I got a graphite shafted version, I could get the launch up considerably. The U65 can be had for much cheaper. Also, I would imagine it would blend well with my current set (even though the sole is ginormous). I have also read that the stock graphite shaft is not the best.

At the end of the day, I am looking to hit this club from a variety of lies. There are 2-4 holes (depending on wind direction) on my home course where I could definitely use this off the tee. But, on long par 5's into the wind, it would be nice to have a shot that doesn't balloon like a hybrid does.

I found the Callaway to be more forgiving across the face. The u65, when flushed, is awesome but if i missed i got punished. Not so much with the Callaway. Ymmv.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I found the Callaway to be more forgiving across the face. The u65, when flushed, is awesome but if i missed i got punished. Not so much with the Callaway. Ymmv.

I was hoping for someone to come in and say the opposite! The U65 can be had on the bay for about $100 less than the X Forged UT. There are a couple good deals on steel shafted versions, but I really think I'll need to get graphite of some sort to help get the launch up a little bit.

Thanks for the input. Without being able to actually try this stuff, I really have to rely on the input of the GolfWRX community for a lot of this stuff.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I was hoping for someone to come in and say the opposite! The U65 can be had on the bay for about $100 less than the X Forged UT. There are a couple good deals on steel shafted versions, but I really think I'll need to get graphite of some sort to help get the launch up a little bit.

Thanks for the input. Without being able to actually try this stuff, I really have to rely on the input of the GolfWRX community for a lot of this stuff.

Sorry. Just my opinion and findings after trying both out on the range and on course. The Callaway does launch lower - much lower. The sole on the Srixon is ginormous and there is lots of weight low to elevate. The Callaway is more like an Apex CF16 in my opinion. I am putting an iron shaft in mine to match up with my regular iron shafts. The stock graphite feels great, but is too light for my tastes. Best of luck.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Sorry. Just my opinion and findings after trying both out on the range and on course. The Callaway does launch lower - much lower. The sole on the Srixon is ginormous and there is lots of weight low to elevate. The Callaway is more like an Apex CF16 in my opinion. I am putting an iron shaft in mine to match up with my regular iron shafts. The stock graphite feels great, but is too light for my tastes. Best of luck.

The stock graphite is the Recoil isn't it?

Taylormade 2024 TP5X